Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,988 members, 7,835,317 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:37 AM

Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? (2227 Views)

Give Us More Time - Buhari Begs ECOWAS Bank President (Photos) / Buhari Dropped The Mic With A Bang And Walked Out On Chibok Parents – Yesufu / For The First Time Buhari Broke Gej Record (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by Defcon1(m): 10:43pm On Apr 30, 2015
I think it's about time Buhari dropped the title, 'General'.
The whole world now sees him as a true democrat - a duly elected civilian president in a largely free, fair and credible election.
It's a no brainer he was a distinguished, serving general.
However, to keep on addressing him as such at this stage betrays the clout of a "converted democrat" he's always portrayed throughout his campaign.

The likes of OBJ, David Mark,etc. dropped their military titles for civilian ones ,and that really helped rebrand them as true civilian politicians, to the extent that many didn't even know Mark used to be a military general.

I personally can't recall the last time l heard OBJ been addressed as General in the media.
l have never even heard David Mark been addressed as General since he became a senator.

This particular rebranding made them more believable and relatable as civilian politicians and democrats, in a democratic dispensation.

Any time the president-elect is addressed as General, it becomes a bit hard to see him past the hard line, no-nonsense military dictator of the 80's.
It doesn't help that the only real problem people have with this man is simply his past as a military ruler.

Please, don't take this out of context.
I'm not saying whatever he bears as a title has any influence on his capacity to lead or deliver.

However, l think it will do so much to further launder and boost his already great image worldwide.
I guess a revered Fulani or Islamic title would be appropriate.

In conclusion, l wish to say that this is just a good-natured opinion, not an attack on the person or character of our president-elect.

I say this because political opinions on here are usually very controversial, even when it ought not to be.

Please let us be mature and civil in discussing this issue.

3 Likes

Re: Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by MyMouth(m): 10:47pm On Apr 30, 2015
In my hurry to be FTC, i did not read ur writeup but all i know is that, A general will always be a general for life jus like a senator or honourable member! Chikenan!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by iduzebaba(m): 10:48pm On Apr 30, 2015
the "General" is more than just a title, it is a reminder of the hope that he is actually going to lead us in the war against indiscipline, corruption and all form of orubebeism in the next four years

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Apr 30, 2015
It all depends on what he prefers.

Please check my signature too. Thanks.
Re: Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by dexpendable(m): 10:51pm On Apr 30, 2015
is that scaring a corrupt mind?
Re: Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by Nobody: 10:52pm On Apr 30, 2015
most Nigerians prefer to call him General I support ur opinion
Re: Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by Defcon1(m): 10:58pm On Apr 30, 2015
dexpendable:
is that scaring a corrupt mind?
lol
l have nothing to be scared of.
It's just a norm for soldier - turned politicians worldwide
It is no big deal...just my opinion wink
Re: Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by imbless: 11:27pm On Apr 30, 2015
some people call him general babaonechance
Re: Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by ki02020(m): 11:46pm On Apr 30, 2015
Op I understand your fear......this is democratic system of govt where the constitution is biding on all not what you think with the general tag
Re: Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by mikolo80: 11:52pm On Apr 30, 2015
Defcon1:

lol
l have nothing to be scared of.
It's just a norm for soldier - turned politicians worldwide
It is no big deal...just my opinion wink
those were politicians that became generals. Differen kettle of fish
Re: Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by A7(m): 12:08am On May 01, 2015
Defcon1:

Any time the president-elect is addressed as General, it becomes a bit hard to see him past the hard line, no-nonsense military dictator of the 80's.
It doesn't help that the only real problem people have with this man is simply his past as a military ruler.

Actually that's behind GMB being the most formidable PDP opponent ever, the Apc as it is today will not be possible without him. Tested and trusted as they say, his past is unarguably the reason he is still relevant today.
Re: Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by Nobody: 12:22am On May 01, 2015
I call him Alhaji Muhammadu Buhari

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by Defcon1(m): 12:23am On May 01, 2015
A7:

Actually that's behind GMB being the most formidable PDP opponent ever, the Apc as it is today will not be possible without him. Tested and trusted as they say, his past is unarguably the reason he is still relevant today.

l know.
I am only saying that some people hate him only because of his perceived high-handedness and hardline policies as a military ruler .
lronically, that is the exact reason he won this election.
Re: Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by Defcon1(m): 12:26am On May 01, 2015
mikolo80:
those were politicians that became generals. Differen kettle of fish
Please,l didn't get you.
Can you rephrase?
Re: Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by barnacle: 12:26am On May 01, 2015
peoples general SAI BABA
Re: Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by NCOIM(m): 12:30am On May 01, 2015
Who dash am General

Oh,,,General of National Association of One chance Practitioners of Nigeria(NASOCPAN) grin grin

Make una leave am,,,the title don expire grin grin
Re: Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by Defcon1(m): 12:36am On May 01, 2015
ki02020:
Op I understand your fear......this is democratic system of govt where the constitution is biding on all not what you think with the general tag
l understand.
This is only about his image as a true democrat(as opposed to his much maligned military past) the world now holds.
No biggie.
Re: Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by Mynd44: 3:18am On May 01, 2015
barcanista:
I call him Alhaji Muhammadu Buhari
You do realize I am disappointed in you right?
Re: Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by Olofintoto(m): 3:41am On May 01, 2015
He loved being called a general than anything. #babaonechance.
Re: Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by Nobody: 6:22am On May 01, 2015
The poster above is saying something silly
Re: Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by hassan85(m): 6:48am On May 01, 2015
If u pdp guys have nothing to say y nt just read comments instead of creating useles treads? How can u get a phd and remove 'Dr' 4m ur name 4 wat reason? His a general. Accept it. Stop personality attack and focus on his programs and agenda. Grow up its high tym. Tel ur pdp wing AIT too to do dsame. Smh
Re: Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by Nobody: 8:01am On May 01, 2015
Mynd44:

You do realize I am disappointed in you right?
Why?
Re: Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by Mynd44: 8:07am On May 01, 2015
barcanista:
Why?
I did not know you are a tribal bigot.
Re: Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by Nobody: 8:12am On May 01, 2015
Mynd44:

I did not know you are a tribal bigot.
How did you come to this conclusion?
Re: Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by Mynd44: 8:19am On May 01, 2015
barcanista:
Your own posts showing your hatred towards Igbos dug up yesterday showed that you are just as bad as Oba Akinolu, Governor Obaino,
Ifeanyi Uba and the Zulu King

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by Nobody: 8:23am On May 01, 2015
Mynd44:

Your own posts showing your hatred towards Igbos dug up yesterday showed that you are just as bad as Oba Akinolu, Governor Obaino,
Ifeanyi Uba and the Zulu King
You have no clue on what transpired before now. Beside, I did apologise on few occasions on several threads and did on a main thread yesterday. Quit it!
Re: Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by themilanway(m): 8:25am On May 01, 2015
barcanista:

Ever since you lost your glory,you have been fighting and clawing dirty.

Your recent thread on the home page reeks nothing but tribal bigotry.You have even resort to name calling and mud slinging.

You will always be a sore loser.
Re: Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by Mynd44: 8:47am On May 01, 2015
barcanista:
You have no clue on what transpired before now. Beside, I did apologise on few occasions on several threads and did on a main thread yesterday. Quit it!
But does that excuse you from being a tribal bigot? It does not.

I have seen bigot upfront as a moderator and they are not what I call good people and the fact that you would bring bigotry into politics is sick and sad.

Anyway, it is your life and no matter how much you try to deny it you are that person.

Have a nice life. I hope you change and learn to see all human beings as one.
Re: Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by Mynd44: 8:48am On May 01, 2015
themilanway:

Ever since you lost your glory,you have been fighting and clawing dirty.

Your recent thread on the home page reeks nothing but tribal bigotry.You have even resort to name calling and mud slinging.

You will always be a sore loser.
I actually thought he was a tad bit better that that.

I guess I was wrong hence my disappointment but it is his life, world and words.

*Shrugs*

You people should keep fanning the embers of hate.
Re: Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by themilanway(m): 9:06am On May 01, 2015
Mynd44:

I actually thought he was a tad bit better that that.

I guess I was wrong hence my disappointment but it is his life, world and words.

*Shrugs*

You people should keep fanning the embers of hate.

Like wise,he has lost any margin of respect i once had for him,defection or not.
Re: Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by mikolo80: 10:29am On May 01, 2015
Defcon1:

Please,l didn't get you.
Can you rephrase?
Most generals should never have been allowed to pass out from nda. They are mostly political generals with civil service mentality. I remember telling one officer cadet to that I hope he knows he is being trained to kill and he said God forbid. And he may become a general tomorrow. That is a political general. Buhari did not pick his generalship in the market. He earned it and so has no reason to be ashamed of the title
Re: Opinion: Isn't It About Time Buhari Officially Dropped The Title, 'General'? by mikolo80: 10:32am On May 01, 2015
Defcon1:

Please,l didn't get you.
Can you rephrase?
In short people who joine army go order to become military administrators yet fear to go to war front.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Saraki And Ekweremadu Senate Leadership - Buhari's Handwriting On The Wall / Top 10 Most Educated African Leaders. / Former COAS Lt Gen KTJ Minimah's Daughter Set To Marry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.