Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,998 members, 7,956,709 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 05:16 PM

The Most Important Step I Took After I Was Sacked From A Bank-to Sacked Bankers - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Most Important Step I Took After I Was Sacked From A Bank-to Sacked Bankers (6975 Views)

Stanbic IBTC Bank Graduate Private Bankers Recruitment 2017 (Nationwide) / Three Most Important Rule When Sending An Application Via Email / Confused: Got A Better Paying Job A Month After I Got A Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Most Important Step I Took After I Was Sacked From A Bank-to Sacked Bankers by skillmyman(m): 5:04pm On May 01, 2015
jonath0012:
How about being an education consultant, any tips on that?

I have a friend that has been an Administrator / accountant of a school for several years and i am encouraging her to go into consulting. Consulting for education sector is vast. there is the administrative part of education which involves getting a school together and the day to day running of the school. others are curriculum, policy thrust etc.

A lot of schools are springing up in Nigeria since the standard of education is falling so i think it is a good niche to look at especially if you live in abuja.

good luck
Re: The Most Important Step I Took After I Was Sacked From A Bank-to Sacked Bankers by swaggylomo: 5:05pm On May 01, 2015
Guitarlife:
Okays for me am in branch operations. Work like a mule saturday, sunday.....

Luckily I already finished my M.ENG course work b4 I entered banking. Oh ! I read Electrical Eng. so I managed to round up my research and since I made a Ph. D grade am planning on putting in for Ph. D in the same school.

The side effects are these though, my relationship life has suffered and still suffers.

I havent been able to follow up on my other areas of interest due to demands of work and study.

I am grateful though and I have decided once I put in for my Ph. D I will start hunting for a lecturing job with my Ph. D (in view).

Banking in Nigeria is not a job to do for long. Except ofcourse if you are someone without prior plan or goal then anything can go.
Mr Yemi of God hw u dey na
Re: The Most Important Step I Took After I Was Sacked From A Bank-to Sacked Bankers by skillmyman(m): 3:33am On May 02, 2015
Bennyzino:
I have vast knowledge in IT infrastructure and network architecture.
Enjoyed your thread.
If there is anyway I can be in your team on weekends I did love to learn from you.
benz3n@yahoo.com

will sure remember and contact you.
thanks
Re: The Most Important Step I Took After I Was Sacked From A Bank-to Sacked Bankers by skillmyman(m): 3:35am On May 02, 2015
Stunner1:
Very educative and inspirational...
Thanks for sharing

you are welcome,
just take a bold step because i know banks are planning mass sack soon. cant confirm if the story about diamond bank sacking 1000 staff two weeks go is true though.

best of luck
Re: The Most Important Step I Took After I Was Sacked From A Bank-to Sacked Bankers by Nobody: 10:01am On May 02, 2015
kennynelcon:
I think there should be a law, to give an employee two months notice before sack.
there is are laws pertaining to the termination of appointments e.g s11 labour act provides for termination by notice so if u were sacked without notice contact me for free legal advice

1 Like

Re: The Most Important Step I Took After I Was Sacked From A Bank-to Sacked Bankers by lolaluv1(f): 11:19am On May 02, 2015
Guitarlife:
Okays for me am in branch operations. Work like a mule saturday, sunday.....

Luckily I already finished my M.ENG course work b4 I entered banking. Oh ! I read Electrical Eng. so I managed to round up my research and since I made a Ph. D grade am planning on putting in for Ph. D in the same school.

The side effects are these though, my relationship life has suffered and still suffers.

I havent been able to follow up on my other areas of interest due to demands of work and study.

I am grateful though and I have decided once I put in for my Ph. D I will start hunting for a lecturing job with my Ph. D (in view).

Banking in Nigeria is not a job to do for long. Except ofcourse if you are someone without prior plan or goal then anything can go.

Lol. Welcome to the club of the disillusioned after the excitement of TS and the lofty dreams offered by your "armed robber salary".
Re: The Most Important Step I Took After I Was Sacked From A Bank-to Sacked Bankers by toocoded: 11:58am On May 02, 2015
hilaomo:
op you try...but where d straw dey to drink this bobo of yours?
What's this one saying
Re: The Most Important Step I Took After I Was Sacked From A Bank-to Sacked Bankers by Nobody: 1:00pm On May 02, 2015
lolaluv1:

Lol. Welcome to the club of the disillusioned after the excitement of TS and the lofty dreams offered by your "armed robber salary".

You mean you also tired of ur "armed robber" salary ? Well I ain't said I was tho.

Lolz am just simply proactive and trying not to forget the bigger picture..

I always ask myself these , how many 50 year olds are in my bank when other professionals are just peaking at 50 yrs.
Re: The Most Important Step I Took After I Was Sacked From A Bank-to Sacked Bankers by frankzone: 2:14pm On May 02, 2015
skillmyman:
July 2014, I got to the office and I was handed by sack letter. The truth was that I did not see it coming so it was not that I had been planning for it but since it came, I had to move on with my life. I had worked in that same bank for 8 years.

The Bank is a place where many people work and they become useless to themselves because they did not become professionals throughout their stay in the bank. People handling the following desk are at risk:

Tellers
Marketers
Risk Managers
Operations staff

My advice to such people is to go for professional exams like ACCA, chartered secretaries, IT certifications, etc.
I was a computer science major and was in ebusiness when i was asked to go and the following were the steps i took.

1. Since My back ground was IT, i went back to a place of my core competencies because it was easy for me to start a consulting firm in my area of core competence.

2. I partnered with a trusted friend in starting the consulting firm since he was a marketer and had a lot of network. the truth is that we are in Nigeria. With a good product, you might not stand a chance but with a good network, you might be able to get a good product out.

3. We started marketing using the old relationships we had especially people who trusted us and knew our capabilities. We just started spreading the word round of what we were doing now.

4. We outlined the products our company was offering and for Most of the products we are offering, we carried out research and got reseller rights for such products since there was no need reinventing the wheel.

5. Throw in freebies for your clients. Since we were working with organizations, we were offering them free websites to attract them to us and we got a couple of our clients that way.

6. Outside the product we offered, any gap a client had, we take it up and outsource the job to competent hands and make some profit off it. That we did to convince our clients of our capabilities. We never told any of our clients we did not have competency in a job.

This last point has given us over 10Million Naira in 5 months because most of the IT jobs we got, we outsourced them on freelancing platforms. monitor the freelancer and review the product as days goes by and made sure it was according to what our client wanted.

My advice, you can become a freelancer based on any skill you have.
for example,
if you are familiar with business plan, then write for small businesses
If you are familiar with customer service, write a customer service guide for small businesses.
If you are familiar with product development, consult for those that want to start small business.
If you are used to carrying our research, then become a research consultant .

Advertising is highly needed and the following platforms are platforms that you can advertise your skills and you are sure on these platforms and when you carry out a job (following the rules of the platform), your money will be paid.

http://www.dealdey.com
http://www.mikazi.com
http://www.odesk.com
http://www.freelancer.com
http://www.fiverr.com

today, i am almost grateful that i was sacked from that job. Mine was not a bad transition which I am grateful to GOD for but not everyone that was sacked had it these rosy. Prepare before you get to the point I got to in July 2014.

if you need a FREE guide on these,go to http://www.learnfreelanceconsulting.com

nairaland is also a very good source of ideas.

You can also ask questions and I will try to answer to the best of my abilities.

cheers.

You didn't mention that you are selling ebooks?
Re: The Most Important Step I Took After I Was Sacked From A Bank-to Sacked Bankers by skillmyman(m): 11:57pm On May 03, 2015
[quote author=frankzone post=33344882]
You didn't mention that you are selling ebooks?[/quot

a free ecourse to enlighten you about freelancing. quality knowledge is not free.
Re: The Most Important Step I Took After I Was Sacked From A Bank-to Sacked Bankers by david96(m): 10:05am On May 04, 2015
Do you often find yourself in a situation that you're so busy and unable to leave your location to get something to yourself or do you have that unique tailor that lives far away but you need your clothes the next morning before you travel but its late and lagos traffic is war don't worry Superflash Express Courier to the rescue . Here in Superflash our priority is to provide excellent service to our customers, we deliver items of all kinds ranging from foodstuff, certain foods, cosmetics, weavons, jewelry, clothes,bags,accessories,shoes,documents, household items ... We pick up and deliver in Unique speed all around lagos . SuperFlash Express; faster ,reliable, better . In lagos deliveries cost #1,000 except in Ajah,Badagry and Ikorodu where it costs #2,000 ,that same day. We are also fresh in delivering to anywhere in Nigeria and Abroad the next day. For enquiries email superflashxpress@gmail.com or visit www.superflashxpress.com or better still call 08029772977 or 08090650005 . Time is more valuable than money: patronize us : anyone can be stranded but Superflash Express to the rescue. Remember One day you'll need this kindly broadcast to friends and loved ones they may need it to thanks
Re: The Most Important Step I Took After I Was Sacked From A Bank-to Sacked Bankers by skillmyman(m): 5:29pm On May 06, 2015
ki02020:
Bank job got no security at all....nice steps op

was told it is now china product.
the bank i left is about sacking another 300 staff.
trust me, a lot of them will be going home broke.
it is better to have alternative plans while you are still in the bank
because when you are out, you will be in panic mode and that is disastrous.
Re: The Most Important Step I Took After I Was Sacked From A Bank-to Sacked Bankers by flowwolf09: 9:28am On Jul 12, 2015
skillmyman:

was told it is now china product.
the bank i left is about sacking another 300 staff.
trust me, a lot of them will be going home broke.
it is better to have alternative plans while you are still in the bank
because when you are out, you will be in panic mode and that is disastrous.

@Skillyman, I worked in a commercial bank for 6 years as a full time employee. Now I am a federal government worker and doing a doctorate in finance from a US university. I'm also into the CFA exams and intend to consult for pension funds in Africa. Any ideas for me in that regards? how to start and gain clients.

Regards
Re: The Most Important Step I Took After I Was Sacked From A Bank-to Sacked Bankers by skillmyman(m): 3:45pm On Jul 15, 2015
flowwolf09:

@Skillyman, I worked in a commercial bank for 6 years as a full time employee. Now I am a federal government worker and doing a doctorate in finance from a US university. I'm also into the CFA exams and intend to consult for pension funds in Africa. Any ideas for me in that regards? how to start and gain clients.

Regards

Hi Flowwolf09,
Pension funds actually are strictly regulated in Nigeria. One of the issues of pension in Nigeria is retirees getting their pension as at when due. I know a retiree that was being paid pension but it was stopped abruptly in 2011 and has not been paid ever since.

Now in providing service, can you work with those kind of people?
can you provide investment advisory for people that just lost their jobs and got 25% of their gratuity?

Are The PFA investing these pension funds investing at max percentage or just in banks?

Working with retirees to get their pension out will be your best bet. (my two cents)

regards
Re: The Most Important Step I Took After I Was Sacked From A Bank-to Sacked Bankers by skillmyman(m): 4:06pm On Jul 15, 2015
Hello guys,
for those that have skills that can be used for services without face to face meeting with clients, you can read this free report.

have a splendid week

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Business Can I Start With A Hundred Thousand (100,000)ngn, Advice Pleas / N-power Batch C: How To Fix Residential Address Error After Uploading On NASIMS / Gtb Is Collecting Cv's

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.