Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,732 members, 7,817,014 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:56 PM

The Political Inequality In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Political Inequality In Nigeria (28303 Views)

The Political Development Of The Rural Village Of Umuchu To A Great City / Buhari’s Priority Is To Address Poverty, Inequality In Nigeria Osinbajo / WHY Obasanjo Must Take The Blame For The Political Quagmire In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Political Inequality In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:48am On May 01, 2015
According to 2012 United States factsheet, Nigeria has 250 ethnic groups. The most populous and politically influential include: Hausa and Fulani 29%, Yoruba 21%, Igbo (Ibo) 18%, Ijaw 10%, Kanuri 4%, Ibibio 3.5%, Tiv 2.5%. https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ni.html
Looking at the Nigeria political structure especially that of the legislative arm (House of Representatives and Senate), I can't help but question the motive for the numerical advantage in favour of the combined North, and disadvantage in the side of the SS/SE. The whole South East was allocated just 43 Seats in the House of Representative despite that fact that the Igbo ethnic group that dominated the SE is one of the three largest ethnic groups in Nigeria. Whereas North West alone has 92 Seats and South West 71 Seats. Please read below and do comparison with multi-ethnic countries like Bosnia and Herzegovina and the Republic of Kosovo (below)

Nigeria
Federal House of Representative (360 Seats)
North-West: Kaduna (16), Kebbi [8], Zamfara (7) , Sokoto (11), Kano (24), Jigawa (11) and Katsina State (15).
Total: 92
North-East: Taraba (6), Borno (10), Bauchi (12), Adamawa [8], Gombe (6) and Yobe State (6).
Total: 48
North Central: Kogi (9), Niger (10), Benue (11), Kwara (6), Plateau [8], Nassarawa (5) + FCT -2
Total: 49 + 2 =51
South-West: Oyo (14), Ogun (9), Lagos (24), Ekiti(6), Ondo (9) and Osun State (9).
Total:71
South-Easts: Ebonyi (6) Enugu [8], Imo (10), Abia [8] and Anambra State (11).
Total: 43
South-South: Akwa-Ibom (10), Bayelsa (5), Edo (9), Cross River [8], Rivers (13) and Delta State (10).
Total: 55

NW + NE= 140 Seats
NW + NE + NC = 191 Seats
SW (alone) = 71 Seats
SS + SE= 98 Seats

Senate (109 Seats)

North West: 3x7 = 21 Seats, North East: 3x6 = 18 Seats, North Central + FCT: (3x6) + 1= 19 Seats
Total North= 58

South South: 3x6 = 18 and South East: 3x5 = 15
Total SE/SS = 33

South West: 3x6 = 18,

Comparing Nigeria's Situation With Bosnia and Kosovo

1. Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bosnia and Herzegovina is home to three ethnic "constituent peoples": Bosniaks, Serbs and Croats. Ethnically, according to data from 2000 cited by the Central Intelligence Agency, Bosniaks constitute 48% of the population, Serbs 37.1%, Croats 14.3%, and others form 0.6%.

House of People (Senate) With 15 Seats
Bosniaks: 5 Seats
Croats: 5 Seats
Serbs: 5 Seats

House of Representative With 42 Seats
Bosniaks: 14
Croats: 14
Serbs: 14
https://www.parlament.ba/default.aspx?langTag=en-US&pril=b
Despite having a whopping 48%, the Bosniaks for the sake of Political Justice and Equity agreed with the Serb (37%) and the Croats (17%) to share every seat in both parliament equally. This is equity and justice!

2. Republic of KOSOVO
Kosovo is an European state with Albanian majority. According to Records, Ethnic Albanians forms 88% of the population, Serbs 7%, other 5% (Bosniak, Gorani, Roma, Turk, Ashkali, Egyptian, Janjevci – Croats) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosovo#Demographics

Assembly of Kosovo
The Kosovo Assembly has 120 Members, to recognise the 12% minorities, the country reserved 20 Seats (ie 24%) for the Minorities while the rest 100 can be contested for by anybody. Of the 20 Specially reserved seats, 10 is for Serbs (despite having just 7% of the population), 4 seats for the representatives of the Romani, Ashkali and Egyptians. 3 seats for the Bosniaks, 2 seats for the Turks and 1 seat for the Gorans. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assembly_of_Kosovo

This is a country that the 88% Albanian Majority respect/recognize the right of the 12% ethnic Minorities that it specially reserved 20 Seats for the Minorities.

Equity Or Inequality?
Should we continue to deceive ourselves by holding the opinion that the Nigeria situation is "equity"? Won't it be justified to call for an overhaul of the system and institute a structure that could be deemed and justified in any sane clime if we are to move forward as a people in this arrangement called Nigeria? I believe that a call to address this lopsided "allocation" will be a patriotic one.

Source: http://solomontonye..com/2015/04/the-political-inequality-in-nigeria.html

59 Likes 14 Shares

Re: The Political Inequality In Nigeria by PapiWata: 7:51am On May 01, 2015
I was going to suggest that perhaps some tribes in Nigeria are ordained by God to be "more equal than others", but decided not to make that comment since it is evident our man Barcan is NOT in a joking mood, going by his above listed observations.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Political Inequality In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:56am On May 01, 2015
PapiWata:
I was going to suggest that perhaps some tribes in Nigeria are ordained by God to be "more equal than others", but decided not to make that comment since it is evident our man Barcan is NOT in a joking mood, going by his above listed observations.
If there was a divine ordainment somewhere the framers of our constitution should let us know so that other ethnic groups can solicit for their own share of the ordainment

33 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Political Inequality In Nigeria by kcpragmatik(m): 7:57am On May 01, 2015
Booking my space though.
I smell frontpage things.....
Re: The Political Inequality In Nigeria by PapiWata: 7:59am On May 01, 2015
barcanista:
If there was a divine ordainment somewhere the framers of our constitution should let us know so that other ethnic groups can solicit for their own share of the ordainment

Ha ha ha for some reason I am reminded of the old saying : "Your arms are too short to box with God".

6 Likes

Re: The Political Inequality In Nigeria by ruggedboy01: 7:59am On May 01, 2015
Born to rule mentality........ upon all the seats of power they are occupying, noting to show for it angry sad

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Political Inequality In Nigeria by nerodenero: 7:59am On May 01, 2015
I'm not one of them but I think the Igbos, in this context, are grossly marginalized. This is injustice and it should be addressed asap.

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Political Inequality In Nigeria by QuotaSystem: 8:01am On May 01, 2015
There is nothing more unequal than the equal treatment of unequal people.

- Thomas Jefferson

Everything is in order.

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Political Inequality In Nigeria by kcpragmatik(m): 8:05am On May 01, 2015
I'm an Igbo man, but to be honest the Igbo drew the margin themselves.. NAIRA.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Political Inequality In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:06am On May 01, 2015
PapiWata:

Ha ha ha for some reason I am reminded of the old saying : "Your arms are too short to box with God".
Well, our hearts and voices should not be too short to negotiate with God.

cc: Truchpusher Ganjafarmer Whynotthetruth Dearpreye SeverusSnape Anonimi Altwireles Mogidi TemiTemi1 Mizmycoli Phockphockman Eurobomber

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Political Inequality In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:07am On May 01, 2015
The inequality in the Nigeria system will hasten its dissolution.

The hausas will never allow for true federalism because the way Nigeria is constituted made them feudal lords over this country

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Political Inequality In Nigeria by PapiWata: 8:09am On May 01, 2015
pazeinza:
It is too early to cry. By 2019, the PDP, you party will certainly zone the presidency back to the North. The North owns Nigeria

As in Born-To-Rule ? I anticipate that there will be some responses to your postulation here, especially since this concept appears to have some new relevance in light of the recent presidential election results.

3 Likes

Re: The Political Inequality In Nigeria by Firefire(m): 8:09am On May 01, 2015
Nigeria is a FRAUD!

It is a wise man who said that there is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequal's. - Felix Frankfurter

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Political Inequality In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:10am On May 01, 2015
Nice and accurate observations, our political system needs a total overhaul.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Political Inequality In Nigeria by abduljabbar4(m): 8:11am On May 01, 2015
Barcanista is really pained. I don't even know what to type again. Me APC brothers, let's stop resurrecting his old threads. His heart is being broken. As for those saying pdp will field a northerner, my question is why did Buhari lose in 3 consecutive times, earning him the name 'serial loser' with the same north?
Buhari lost in kogi, kwara, taraba, niger, benue plateau, abuja, nasarawa and Adamawa maybe these were southern states then. This election was 80% based on competency and not tribe. You know those that voted based on tribe. Thanks to the south west that didn't consider religion in this election. I couldn't believe Buhari could ever win in the south west looking at how they voted in 2011 and even left their own Bakare for Jonathan. Let's see what Buhari has for us. If he messes up, nobody needs to tell us what to do but there is one thing:
PDP WILL NEVER RULE NIGERIA AGAIN. We will vote KOWA
Modified
Why did you type Kano and Lagos in bold? You are more intelligent than this. So you don't know that they are the most populated states in Nigeria.
Barcanista politics is changing your mentality. I'm serious now

65 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Political Inequality In Nigeria by pazeinza: 8:12am On May 01, 2015
nerodenero:
I'm not one of them but I think the Igbos, in this context, are grossly marginalized. This is injustice and it should be addressed asap.
The ibos have been marginalised, right? What about the Junkuns, Efiks, Kamberis, Bacchamas, Tivs, Momoye, Shuwa Arabs, Higgis, and all other members of the more than 250 ethnic groups In Nigeria? I guess they are all irrelevant

24 Likes

Re: The Political Inequality In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:13am On May 01, 2015
kcpragmatik:
igbos didn't vote because of money, they belived in GEJ and they stuck with it. APC never made any effort to bring in the ibo man right from the inception that's why their first executive was made up of* Muslims*, the ibos made the best move by voting Gej and will vote him in a million times again.

Stop claiming to be an Igboman when you are not

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Political Inequality In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:13am On May 01, 2015
Well,the igbos have themselves to blame.Hausas know what they want and vigorously fights for it,the yorubas to an extent too.

2 Likes

Re: The Political Inequality In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:16am On May 01, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
igbos didn't vote because of money, they belived in GEJ and they stuck with it. APC never made any effort to bring in the ibo man right from the inception that's why their first executive was made up of* Muslims*, the ibos made the best move by voting Gej and will vote him in a million times again.

Stop claiming to be an Igboman when you are not
My concern is beyond election. What the system simply mean is that the talk of one Nigeria built on equality and justice is pure fable

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Political Inequality In Nigeria by Mynd44: 8:17am On May 01, 2015
This is not right.
I can see you are back to the old ways or whipping up tribal sentiments as was exposed yesterday. Now let me help you out.

What is the population of Kano?
What is the population of Lagos?
Now what is the population of the most populous state in the SE?

If a state has a population of say 10 million, how can you expect that state not to have more representatives than a state with a population of 3million?

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Political Inequality In Nigeria by nerodenero: 8:20am On May 01, 2015
I would have dignifed you with a reasonable response but when I read your submission that the 'North owns Nigeria',I gave up on your pathetic life.
pazeinza:
The ibos have been marginalised, right? What about the Junkuns, Efiks, Kamberis, Bacchamas, Tivs, Momoye, Shuwa Arabs, Higgis, and all other members of the more than 250 ethnic groups In Nigeria? I guess they are all irrelevant

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Political Inequality In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:21am On May 01, 2015
Mynd44:
This is not right.
I can see you are back to the old ways or whipping up tribal sentiments as was exposed yesterday. Now let me help you out.

If a state has a population of say 10 million l, how can you expect that state not to have more representatives than a state with a population of 3million?
Your talk of tribal sentiment is flawed. Didn't you see the demography of every major ethnic groups in the Original post? By the way what do you mean whipping tribal sentiment when I never attacked nor accuse any tribe but I clearly faulted the system? The system is so unfavorable to me. is Kaduna more populated than Rivers State? Is Katsina more populated than Rivers State? Are the Igbos such a minority that the system make them appear? Can't you see from the two countries I used as a yardstick?

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Political Inequality In Nigeria by pazeinza: 8:22am On May 01, 2015
THE KOMA PEOPLE OF ADAMAWA STATE DESERVES THE PRESIDENCY TOO

THE JUNKUN PEOPLE OF TARABA STATE DESERVES THE PRESIDENCY TOO

THE SHUWA ARABS OF BIRNIN KEBBI DESERVES THE PRESIDENCY TOO

THE EBIRRA PEOPLE OF KOGI STATE DESERVES THE PRESIDENCY TOO.

THE YORUBA, HAUSA, IJAW AND IBO CAN GO AND ......

15 Likes

Re: The Political Inequality In Nigeria by Eyepencil: 8:22am On May 01, 2015
kcpragmatik:
What is this one saying?

7 Likes

Re: The Political Inequality In Nigeria by lekkie073(m): 8:23am On May 01, 2015
There is nothing wrong with the make up of the legislative assembly in Nigeria. Since the constitution says a state must produce a specified number of seats, then so be it. Bosnia's constitution is different from Nigeria's own. So, barcanista, I refuse to follow ur logic this time

15 Likes

Re: The Political Inequality In Nigeria by PapiWata: 8:23am On May 01, 2015
Mynd44:
This is not right.

If a state has a population of say 10 million l, how can you expect that state not to have more representatives than a state with a population of 3million?

Population figures have been manipulated for political gain for a very long time in Nigeria, so such figures are dubious at best.

Pictures of minors lined up to vote in un-named parts of Nigeria are fresh in the memory of observers, as are the vastly inflated "vote counts" derived from those creative methods.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Political Inequality In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:26am On May 01, 2015
lekkie073:
There is nothing wrong with the make up of the legislative assembly in Nigeria. Since the constitution says a state must produce a specified number of seats, then so be it. Bosnia's constitution is different from Nigeria's own. So, barcanista, I refuse to follow ur logic this time
Who drafted the constitution? Was it divinely given to us by God?

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Political Inequality In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:27am On May 01, 2015
PapiWata:

Population figures have been manipulated for political gain for a very long time in Nigeria, so such figures are dubious at best.

Pictures of minors lined up to vote in un-named parts of Nigeria are fresh in the memory of observers, as are the vastly inflated "vote counts" derived from those creative methods.
Even the talk of population is no justification. In Bosnia, ethnic Bosniaks enjoy 48% of the total population, Croats have just 17%, it didn't stop them from sharing seats evenly.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Political Inequality In Nigeria by pazeinza: 8:28am On May 01, 2015
barcanista:
Your talk of tribal sentiment is flawed. Didn't you see the demography of every major ethnic groups in the Original post? By the way what do you mean whipping tribal sentiment when I never attacked nor accuse any tribe but I clearly faulted the system? The system is so unfavorable to me. is Kaduna more populated than Rivers State? Is Katsina more populated than Rivers State? Are the Igbos such a minority that the system make them appear? Can't you see from the two countries I used as a yardstick?
The Shuwa Arabs of Birnin Kebbi(?) have not been given any ministerial/senatorial/gubernatorial slot in the history of democrcy in Nigeria. The Koma people of Adamawa state are missing in the enitre Nigerian political equation. What say you about them?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Political Inequality In Nigeria by Mynd44: 8:29am On May 01, 2015
barcanista:
What you need to do is bring the number of representative viz-a-vis population and not say that a certain tribe deserved to have this or that.

You forget that the NW is not only populated by the natives right? There are a other ethnic groups who have settled there and the include Igbos too who are represented there.

The whole idea of this thread is just silly. How many members does Ekiti have? Zamfara?

Representation is by population and until a sane census is done to reflect that, you can cry marginalization all you want

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Political Inequality In Nigeria by abduljabbar4(m): 8:30am On May 01, 2015
ruggedboy01:
Born to rule mentality........ upon all the seats of power they are occupying, noting to show for it angry sad
They were not the leaders of the north! They were leaders of Nigeria! Though they were corrupt and only went after the national cakes.
The south south recieves more funds in Nigeria what do they have to show for it? Even if we give you your oyel your situation will not change

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ohaneze To Biafra Agitators: Stop This Madness - The Nation / Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Pictured With Chidiogo Akunyili, Daughter Of Late Dora / Ahmed Wase: Nigerians Abroad Threaten To Withhold $23b Remittance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.