Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,412 members, 7,819,467 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:51 PM

NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage (3346 Views)

Petrol: NNPC Pushes For N150 Per Litre.. / NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage / NNPC Pushes For Fuel Subsidy Removal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by femicyrus(m): 4:03am On May 02, 2015
As the N18,000 minimum wage is due for review this year, NLC is pushing for a N90,000 minimum wage for worker.
Joe ajaero NLC factional leader made this know at national stadium surulere yesterday

1 Like

Re: NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by femicyrus(m): 4:07am On May 02, 2015
I was expecting a more sensible demand like " the Naira should have a higher purchasing power"

2 Likes

Re: NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by satelliteDISH(m): 4:10am On May 02, 2015
femicyrus:
I was expecting a more sensible demand like " the Naira should have a higher purchasing power"
Let them push for d minimum wage. i think that is a good idea.

1 Like

Re: NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by tit(f): 4:13am On May 02, 2015
Excellent demand.
Things have to be better for common man!
We poor people want change too!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by femicyrus(m): 4:18am On May 02, 2015
You think Nigeria have over N250 trillion to service that on yearly basis with our current annual budget less than N5 trillion?
satelliteDISH:

1 Like

Re: NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by femicyrus(m): 4:24am On May 02, 2015
Haba, think of the population of youth that are unemployed if you are to take home N320,000 on monthly basis. What if they could be employed and get to start a life from such excessive demand.
tit:
Excellent demand.

2 Likes

Re: NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by satelliteDISH(m): 4:32am On May 02, 2015
femicyrus:
You think Nigeria have over N250 trillion to service that on yearly basis with our current annual budget less than N5 trillion?
I didnt say that d govt should agree completely. At least 25-30k is not bad to ask for. our govt can take care of this without much problems.

1 Like

Re: NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by Caseless: 4:50am On May 02, 2015
satelliteDISH:

are you ok? How many states don de pay the 18k sef?

2 Likes

Re: NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by femicyrus(m): 4:50am On May 02, 2015
If the in-coming government can eliminate corruption and improve the economy, you will know that N18,000 minimum wage is more than enough. Imagine $1=N1, petrol less than N40 per liter.
And with less then N60,000 you can own a brand new car
quote author=satelliteDISH post=33331323]
I didnt say that d govt should agree completely. At least 25-30k is not bad to ask for. our govt can take care of this without much problems. [/quote]

2 Likes

Re: NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by Caseless: 4:52am On May 02, 2015
tit:
Excellent demand.
you blind duck, did you say this in the last six years of gej's presidency?

4 Likes

Re: NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by delishpot: 4:54am On May 02, 2015
May God see then through. All in all, Let there be improved economy and standard of living for the common man. I strongly believe an increase in wages will cause inflation With tge way Naijas economy and society is right now.
A wise farmer clears ground before planting his seeds if he wants a good harvest and not just throw best quality seed on a land that is overgrown with weeds and bush.
That is my own point of view sha.
Re: NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by jazinogold(m): 6:50am On May 02, 2015
tongue mk them also fight for 1gig to be 100naira too....these network companies no dy try for their data charges! tongue

1 Like

Re: NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by ckmayoca: 7:16am On May 02, 2015
Caseless:
are you ok? How many states don de pay the 18k sef?

Why u go dey ask dat street trader that kind question? They all don't knw that they are spoiling naira value wit that impossible demand that is if it is true.
Re: NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by efilefun(m): 7:18am On May 02, 2015
Its a good idea at the wrong time.
Re: NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by dadebayo1(m): 7:20am On May 02, 2015
Let's wait and see... #Babawillsoonarrive
Re: NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by efilefun(m): 7:20am On May 02, 2015
You dey mind them, when the oil was booming, they didnt remember to make such demand now that the economy is as bad as a used 1932 Volkswagen car they now tabling such demands, abegiiii
femicyrus:

1 Like

Re: NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by efilefun(m): 7:21am On May 02, 2015
Baba wont give them 90k, he can increase it but 90k never!!!! the total is more than the annual budget in multiple folds
dadebayo1:
Let's wait and see... #Babawillsoonarrive
Re: NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by PassingShot(m): 7:24am On May 02, 2015
We must understand that the minimum wage is for those at the bottom of the ladder. It is for entry level for messengers, cleaners, packers and so on.

Also, an upward review of the minimum wage will have positive impact on others who are already earning good salary.

Having known these two facts, I think a minimum wage of between 25 and 40k will be in order. However, Labout bodies should pursue better agendas than only the minimum wage for their members.
Re: NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by youngalex(m): 7:26am On May 02, 2015
Increase in Minimum Wage is a good idea bearing in mind the recent devaluation of the Naira and proposed subsidy removal,though I don't subsibe to #90,000,I think #30,000 is a more realistic and sustainable wage with the present economic realities,There should be serious audit of the accounts of CUSTOMS,FIRS,CBN and NNPC all funds siphoned must be remmited to the federation account and I recommend KPMG to be a consulting auditor for these agencies and audits must be done quaterly,with these checks and balances the Govt. Can sustain the wage increase
Re: NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by Ddonoflife(m): 7:33am On May 02, 2015
i agree with dem. Give dem wat dey want instead of our so called polithievians to spend d billoins alone,y not share it in thousands among d labour force.haba
Re: NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 7:46am On May 02, 2015
Caseless:
you blind duck, did you say this in the last six years of gej's presidency?

You are becoming a hypocrite. The Government of Goodluck Jonathan implemented a 245% increase in minimum wage and now it is expected to go up again during the next negotiation with nothing less than the previous percentage increase.

Though N90,000 may be NLC opening bargain, it is expected to settle at something around N45,000 ± 10%.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by Nobody: 7:53am On May 02, 2015
PassingShot:
We must understand that the minimum wage is for those at the bottom of the ladder. It is for entry level for messengers, cleaners, packers and so on.

Also, an upward review of the minimum wage will have positive impact on others who are already earning good salary.

Having known these two facts, I think a minimum wage of between 25 and 40k will be in order. However, Labout bodies should pursue better agendas than only the minimum wage for their members.

I totally agree with your last paragraph. It's high time the NLC learned to pursue more meaningful demands than this minimum wage thing. However, the current minimum wage is an insult to workers.

In my opinion, the NLC should collaborate with all other pressure groups and force our lawmakers to reveal how much they earn, and also make a drastic downward review on their insane salaries and other allowances.

We need to free some money from the system for more meaningful projects.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by PassingShot(m): 7:57am On May 02, 2015
dearpreye:

I totally agree with your last paragraph. It's high time the NLC learned to pursue more meaningful demands than this minimum wage thing. However, the current minimum wage is an insult to workers.

In my opinion, the NLC should collaborate with all other pressure groups and force our lawmakers to reveal how much they earn, and also make a drastic downward review on their insane salaries and other allowances.

We need to free some money from the system for more meaningful projects.

Exactly. Why can't labour organize their members to picket the NA into forcing them to reduce their salaries and allowances? Why do they have to wait till this long when things have taken turns for the worse? This is what you get when leaders only fight for their individual interest instead of the common interest of all.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by Nobody: 7:58am On May 02, 2015
Re: NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by Nobody: 7:58am On May 02, 2015
Are u sure the NLC committee know a thing about economics and fiscal policy?
Re: NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by Nobody: 8:02am On May 02, 2015
PassingShot:

Exactly. Why can't labour organize their members to picket the NA into forcing them to reduce their salaries and allowances? Why do they have to wait till this long when things have take turns for the worse? This is what you get when leaders only fight for their individual interest instead of the common interest of all.

I discussed this issue with my labour representative, and his reply was myopic and foolish.

There's too much money sacrificed on the altars of our politics. I'm waiting to down tools over this jumbo salary thing. These politicians waste the labour we create, and instead of the NLC to pressure them into receiving salaries that resemble the prevailing economic realities, it's busy pursuing immediate benefits. Our current minimum wage isn't the problem!

When shall we learn to look beyond our stomachs?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by Nobody: 8:02am On May 02, 2015
Hahahahaahaha!

Why not N1m as the minimum wage?

I can hear the sound of the collapse of the Nigeria!

You can call me names though but Africans are dumb!

I cant say more than this!
Re: NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by ManUtdholic: 8:07am On May 02, 2015
jazinogold:
tongue mk them also fight for 1gig to be 100naira too....these network companies no dy try for their data charges! tongue
Yes it a must
Re: NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by Nobody: 8:11am On May 02, 2015
noblezone:
Hahahahaahaha!

Why not N1m as the minimum wage?

I can hear the sound of the collapse of the Nigeria!

You can call me names though but Africans are dumb!

I cant say more than this!

Only idiots will oppose your comment. Africans are dumb. As I'm DUMB!
Re: NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by Nobody: 8:27am On May 02, 2015
Like PassingShot said 30k is fair, increase the minimum wage and cut down the size of the civil service simultaneously. That way you avoid protests. Buhari must show example from the top too.
Re: NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by Nobody: 8:38am On May 02, 2015
Obiagelli:
Like PassingShot said 30k is fair, increase the minimum wage and cut down the size of the civil service simultaneously. That way you avoid protests. Buhari must show example from the top too.

I'm even more concerned with cutting down the civil service and the salaries of our politicians than i am about the minimum wage!
Re: NLC Pushes For N90,000 Minimum Wage by Nobody: 9:28am On May 02, 2015
90,000 is not much to ask for, especially when the citizens are providing themselves with electricity, medical care, education without any students loans and no welfare packages. 90,000 is not even okay but its manageable for a start.

(1) (2) (Reply)

President Buhari Frustrated By Obama / APC Chieftain Calls For Suspension Of Constitution To Enable Buhari Perform / Photo:See The Crate In Which Umaru Dikko Was Kidnapped By Buhari In 1984

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.