Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,775 members, 7,813,565 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:05 PM

I Made 2ND Class Lower In Mathematics Can I Do Masters? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Made 2ND Class Lower In Mathematics Can I Do Masters? (12916 Views)

Olusegun Obasanjo To Folorunsho Alakija: 'Madam, I Made You A Billionaire' / Polytechnics Vs University Students Top Debate – HND Better Than B.sc 2nd Class / Names Of Those Who Made 2nd Ministerial List - The Cable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Made 2ND Class Lower In Mathematics Can I Do Masters? by igeolink: 5:15pm On May 02, 2015
please I need ur applicable advice I presently confused I don't know what to do with my 2nd class lower (2.2) in Bsc Mathematics....can I go for a masters program and which of the Nigerian universities can take me...I have strong interest for UNN, Unizik, OAU, or even FUTO.. please which of them can take me? thanks 4 ur answers
Re: I Made 2ND Class Lower In Mathematics Can I Do Masters? by olawalepopoola: 5:26pm On May 02, 2015
No! That is a third class! You need a minimum of 2.5 to get there. For you to do masters you must first enrol for Postgraduate diploma (PGD) in mathematics to cover for your deficiencies. No universities will accept you for M.Sc with that grade
Re: I Made 2ND Class Lower In Mathematics Can I Do Masters? by acume: 5:29pm On May 02, 2015
It depends on your GP if your 2.2 is up 3.0 and above you can do your masters in any of the listed university, but if below 3.0 go for PG and masters.
Re: I Made 2ND Class Lower In Mathematics Can I Do Masters? by olamibobo(m): 5:36pm On May 02, 2015
2.2 as in class of grade or 2.2 as final cumulative grade point average?
If it is 2.2 grade , YES you can go for MSC direct in any university of your choice in naija. 2.2 CGPA can't

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Made 2ND Class Lower In Mathematics Can I Do Masters? by Firmjudge(m): 5:43pm On May 02, 2015
Op not everybody understand this 2.2 issh.

Is it that your CGPA is 2.2 or you graduated with a second class lower which some people still refer to as 2.2.

If you meant the former, no way out. But if na the latter ther are criteria you should meet.

Your CGPA has to be above 3.0/5.0 or equivalent.
Re: I Made 2ND Class Lower In Mathematics Can I Do Masters? by baralatie(m): 5:47pm On May 02, 2015
igeolink:
please I need ur applicable advice I presently confused I don't know what to do with my 2.2 in Bsc Mathematics....can I go for a masters program and which of the Nigerian universities can take me...I have strong interest for UNN, Unizik, OAU, or even FUTO.. please which of them can take me? thanks 4 ur answers
if even you have third class,the system we operate affords you a chance to move ahead.
the only thing is you have to know the admission requirements of the school pg.
some school are strict for m.Phil and m.sc (academics)
but 2-2 is allowed by some institution by first undergoing PGD or allow a qualifying exam with a no of years for inside staff at the m.sc
just inquire at the school.
Re: I Made 2ND Class Lower In Mathematics Can I Do Masters? by baralatie(m): 5:49pm On May 02, 2015
olamibobo:
If it is 2.2 grade , YES you can go for MSC direct in any university of your choice in naija. 2.2 CGPA can't
this is confirm information
Re: I Made 2ND Class Lower In Mathematics Can I Do Masters? by olamibobo(m): 6:08pm On May 02, 2015
baralatie:

this is confirm information
Says who sir? What the Op is asking is that can he go for MSC direct with 2.2?
Then what 2.2 was the OP referring to? 2.2 as in second class lower division or 2.2 CGPA? We all know he can still further but if is 2.2 CG PA he can't start with MSC direct. Even the so called mushroom universities in naija will not give him admission for MSC. Little did u knw that most big universities don't ve PGD and MPhil class again except the so called mushroom universities. If it is 2.2 Second class lower then he should be the one to choose where to study.
Re: I Made 2ND Class Lower In Mathematics Can I Do Masters? by baralatie(m): 6:12pm On May 02, 2015
olamibobo:

Says who sir? What the Op is asking is that can he go for MSC direct with 2.2?
Then what 2.2 was the OP referring to? 2.2 as in second class lower division or 2.2 CGPA? We all know he can still further but if is 2.2 CG PA he can't start with MSC direct. Even the so called mushroom universities in naija will not give him admission for MSC. Little did u knw that most big universities don't ve PGD and MPhil class again except the so called mushroom universities. If it is 2.2 Second class lower then he should be the one to choose where to study.
Unilag has PGD and runs m.Phil by application for admission!
Re: I Made 2ND Class Lower In Mathematics Can I Do Masters? by kuuljay(m): 6:23pm On May 02, 2015
2:2 that's second class lower degree.now there is stronger 2:2 which is a cgpa of 3:0 to 3:50 and weak 2:2 which is 2:90 and bellow.no higher institution will give you direct masters if you cgpa is bellow 3:0 you have to go for a pgd it's a rule by NUC so don't even think about going to a mushroom institution to do it you will regret it
Re: I Made 2ND Class Lower In Mathematics Can I Do Masters? by olamibobo(m): 6:25pm On May 02, 2015
baralatie:

Unilag has PGD and runs m.Phil by application for admission!
OK sir. OAU,UI, FUTA and some universities have stop such programmes. It depends on the university board of studies sincerely it is just a way of generating internal revenues for the university. But please don't fall into such a class of qualification if u are interested in academics.
Re: I Made 2ND Class Lower In Mathematics Can I Do Masters? by baralatie(m): 6:30pm On May 02, 2015
olamibobo:

OK sir. OAU,UI, FUTA and some universities have stop such programmes. It depends on the university board of studies sincerely it is just a way of generating internal revenues for the university. But please don'tok fall into such a class of qualification if u are interested in academics.
OK!
Re: I Made 2ND Class Lower In Mathematics Can I Do Masters? by olamibobo(m): 6:43pm On May 02, 2015
kuuljay:
2:2 that's second class lower degree.now there is stronger 2:2 which is a cgpa of 3:0 to 3:50 and weak 2:2 which is 2:90 and bellow.no higher institution will give you direct masters if you cgpa is bellow 3:0 you have to go for a pgd it's a rule by NUC so don't even think about going to a mushroom institution to do it you will regret it
Oga kuuljay: 3.50 is not lower division. Lower starts from 2.50-3.49. It is not in any NUC rule sir that u must ve a "strong" lower division to do Msc , It is the postgraduate school in these universities that decides on what to use.Authoritatively am telling you that PGD and MPhil will soon be a programme of the past in Nigeria universities. It is not a good programme as academics is concerned. U only find it in profit and IGR oriented universities.
Re: I Made 2ND Class Lower In Mathematics Can I Do Masters? by kuuljay(m): 6:55pm On May 02, 2015
olamibobo:

Oga kuuljay: 3.50 is not lower division. Lower starts from 2.50-3.49. It is not in any NUC rule sir that u must ve a "strong" lower division to do Msc , It is the postgraduate school in these universities that decides on what to use.Authoritatively am telling you that PGD and MPhil will soon be a programme of the past in Nigeria universities. It is not a good programme as academics is concerned. U only find it in profit and IGR oriented universities.
yes thanks for the correction so clarify me more by pointing any institution that will offer you msc admission with a cgpa of 2.50
Re: I Made 2ND Class Lower In Mathematics Can I Do Masters? by kennydee05(m): 7:13pm On May 02, 2015
Most of Nigeria Universities accept 2:2 Second class lower for MSC.
Unilorin Requirements .
Applicants for the academic Master degree programmes who are graduates of the University of Ilorin and other recognized Universities, must have a minimum of Second Class Honours Degree (Lower Division) and must be applying for programmes in which they have their first degrees. However, applicants with Second Class Honours Degree (Lower Division) and
those with higher classes of degrees seeking admissions into programmes outside those in which they have their first degrees may be admitted provided they satisfy Senate in a qualifying examination to be conducted. The least class of Degree for all academic programme applicants is Second Class Honours Degree (Lower Division). Regardless of the institution where the Bachelor’s degree is obtained, ALL candidates shall apply early for their official Bachelor’s degree academic transcript to be sent to the Postgraduate School, University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Nigeria, before the expiration of the stated deadline.

OAU Requirements

A general requirement for admission is a Bachelor’s degree in Arts, Letters, Philosophy or Science or an acceptable equivalent from an approved University. An academic standing of a minimum of second class lower division or a grade point average of B (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) is required for admission to Masters degrees: a second class upper division for MPhil: and an MPhil or Master’s degree with research thesis in appropriate field and at least 60% (B+) weighted average in the Masters coursework for admission to Doctorate degree.
UI Requirements

1 Share

Re: I Made 2ND Class Lower In Mathematics Can I Do Masters? by igeolink: 7:21pm On May 02, 2015
olawalepopoola:
No! That is a third class! You need a minimum of 2.5 to get there. For you to do masters you must first enrol for Postgraduate diploma (PGD) in mathematics to cover for your deficiencies. No universities will accept you for M.Sc with that grade
thanks ....I actually mean 2nd class lower
Re: I Made 2ND Class Lower In Mathematics Can I Do Masters? by igeolink: 7:24pm On May 02, 2015
olamibobo:
I finished with a CGPA of 3.32...that's 2nd class lower division
Re: I Made 2ND Class Lower In Mathematics Can I Do Masters? by igeolink: 7:40pm On May 02, 2015
kennydee05:
Unilorin Requirements .
Applicants for the academic Master degree programmes who are graduates of the University of Ilorin and other recognized Universities, must have a minimum of Second Class Honours Degree (Lower Division) and must be applying for programmes in which they have their first degrees. However, applicants with Second Class Honours Degree (Lower Division) and
those with higher classes of degrees seeking admissions into programmes outside those in which they have their first degrees may be admitted provided they satisfy Senate in a qualifying examination to be conducted. The least class of Degree for all academic programme applicants is Second Class Honours Degree (Lower Division). Regardless of the institution where the Bachelor’s degree is obtained, ALL candidates shall apply early for their official Bachelor’s degree academic transcript to be sent to the Postgraduate School, University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Nigeria, before the expiration of the stated deadline.

OAU Requirements

A general requirement for admission is a Bachelor’s degree in Arts, Letters, Philosophy or Science or an acceptable equivalent from an approved University. An academic standing of a minimum of second class lower division or a grade point average of B (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) is required for admission to Masters degrees: a second class upper division for MPhil: and an MPhil or Master’s degree with research thesis in appropriate field and at least 60% (B+) weighted average in the Masters coursework for admission to Doctorate degree.
Wow thanks...this is very informative
Re: I Made 2ND Class Lower In Mathematics Can I Do Masters? by kennydee05(m): 7:47pm On May 02, 2015
igeolink:

Wow thanks...this is very informative
90% of Nigeria Universities accept 2:2 for MSC just. Just few out of this percentage will conduct special test for the 2:2 before giving admission.
With 3.0 CGPA on a scale of 5 will guarantee u 70% chance if being admitted for MSC in any Nigeria Universities
Re: I Made 2ND Class Lower In Mathematics Can I Do Masters? by igeolink: 8:00pm On May 02, 2015
kuuljay:
My is Above 3.0
Re: I Made 2ND Class Lower In Mathematics Can I Do Masters? by kuuljay(m): 8:05pm On May 02, 2015
igeolink:
My is Above 3.0
then you are qualified bro just go ahead

1 Like

Re: I Made 2ND Class Lower In Mathematics Can I Do Masters? by Nobody: 8:07pm On May 02, 2015
Most of Nigerian universities accept 2nd Class Lower, but you Still need to contact the university of your choice to get their requirements.

Most of them only require you to undergo PGD if your first degree is 3rd Class.

If you base your choice on the comments you read here, you might get more Confused.

And you know why more than 80% of Nigerian universities would take you for MSc without PGD?

2nd Class Lower in Mathematics is respected than most 2nd Class upper in some courses.
Re: I Made 2ND Class Lower In Mathematics Can I Do Masters? by igeolink: 10:07pm On May 02, 2015
kennydee05:
Unilorin Requirements .

OAU Requirements

UI Requirements
Now my hope is re-energized

2 Likes

Re: I Made 2ND Class Lower In Mathematics Can I Do Masters? by igeolink: 10:48pm On May 02, 2015
kuuljay:
then you are qualified bro just go ahead
oh thanks bro
Re: I Made 2ND Class Lower In Mathematics Can I Do Masters? by coolscott(m): 8:11am On Sep 07, 2015
igeolink:
please I need ur applicable advice I presently confused I don't know what to do with my 2nd class lower (2.2) in Bsc Mathematics....can I go for a masters program and which of the Nigerian universities can take me...I have strong interest for UNN, Unizik, OAU, or even FUTO.. please which of them can take me? thanks 4 ur answers
Send me your number or reach me on 07014288531

(1) (Reply)

Anambra State Hosts Gospel Worship " Expression1" By Commissioner, Bonaventure / Orji Kalu: President’s Visit To South-east Will Clear Lies That He Is Not Buhari / Lawan: Ninth Assembly Most Successful In Lawmaking Since 1999

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.