Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:51 AM

Holy Communion And The Catholic Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Holy Communion And The Catholic Church (2079 Views)

''Why We Transferred Father Mbaka'' — Catholic Church / Man Who Donated His Hotel Building To Catholic Church, Turns Keke Napep Driver / He Took Holy Communion And Had Sex After Church, Any Repercusion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Holy Communion And The Catholic Church by vonn(f): 8:40am On May 03, 2015
I've been wondering....

Why is it that in Catholic church, during Holy Communion, it is always announced that "Holy communion is only for baptised and practising
Catholics who are in the state of grace"

Don't we serve the same God?
Didn't He give himself for all?

So why would the non-catholics be asked to sit back and pray silently?

I need answers please....
Re: Holy Communion And The Catholic Church by freeradical(m): 10:52am On May 04, 2015
Its simply because they do not understand what they want to receive. The catholic church teaches that the holy communion is the real body and blood of Christ together with his soul and divinity under the appearance of bread and wine. Other churches dispute this. So u don't expect yo receive what u dnt understand cos you definitely lack faith in it. When the non catholic accepts the teachings of the church and recieves the sacrament with faith he immediately becomes a practising catholic and only then can you partake in the eucharistic feast. Hope that answers ur question.

2 Likes

Re: Holy Communion And The Catholic Church by vonn(f): 2:10am On May 06, 2015
freeradical:
Its simply because they do not understand what they want to receive. The catholic church teaches that the holy communion is the real body and blood of Christ together with his soul and divinity under the appearance of bread and wine. Other churches dispute this. So u don't expect yo receive what u dnt understand cos you definitely lack faith in it. When the non catholic accepts the teachings of the church and recieves the sacrament with faith he immediately becomes a practising catholic and only then can you partake in the eucharistic feast. Hope that answers ur question.

I know other churches receive communion...or don't they?

If they practise it, how then do they dispute or lack faith in it?
Is it that what they receive is not the true body and blood of Christ?

1 Like

Re: Holy Communion And The Catholic Church by Ubenedictus(m): 3:07am On May 06, 2015
vonn:

my dear,
"communion" is not the same everywhere, if you ask different protestant pastors what their communion is they will tell you that it is a "symbol", if you ask any practicing catholic he will tell you it is "the true body and blood of Jesus christ together with his soul and divinity". St paul teaches in his letter to the corithian that each man must examine himself before coming forward, he must believe before he receives.

He clearly says "he who eat and drink without discerning the body and blood eat condemnation", so when you are prevented from receiving in a catholic church know they are doing you are favour.

2 Likes

Re: Holy Communion And The Catholic Church by freeradical(m): 10:51am On May 06, 2015
vonn:

The real question is do you believe that the holy communion is the body and blood of Jesus Christ?
Re: Holy Communion And The Catholic Church by vonn(f): 4:30am On May 08, 2015
freeradical:
The real question is do you believe that the holy communion is the body and blood of Jesus Christ?
Yes, I do. 100%
But that is nt related to my question though

Thanks for your contribution
Re: Holy Communion And The Catholic Church by vonn(f): 4:36am On May 08, 2015
Ubenedictus:

my dear,
"communion" is not the same everywhere, if you ask different protestant pastors what their communion is they will tell you that it is a "symbol", if you ask any practicing catholic he will tell you it is "the true body and blood of Jesus christ together with his soul and divinity". St paul teaches in his letter to the corithian that each man must examine himself before coming forward, he must believe before he receives.

He clearly says "he who eat and drink without discerning the body and blood eat condemnation", so when you are prevented from receiving in a catholic church know they are doing you are favour.
Okay....
So those that really believe/know, why prevent them from receiving communion with that general instruction.
since they have been taught that whoever eats unworthily eats damnation, why not leave it for God to judge?
Re: Holy Communion And The Catholic Church by Nobody: 5:55am On May 08, 2015
vonn:

Okay....
So those that really believe/know, why prevent them from receiving communion with that general instruction.
since they have been taught that whoever eats unworthily eats damnation, why not leave it for God to judge?
Hie...Maybe you should understand that the Eucharist is the source and summit of the Catholic Faith. Which means for you to partake of the heavenly banquet in the Catholic Mass you must believe all that the Catholic Church teaches.
Re: Holy Communion And The Catholic Church by vonn(f): 3:02pm On May 08, 2015
Papist:

Hie...Maybe you should understand that the Eucharist is the source and summit of the Catholic Faith. Which means for you to partake of the heavenly banquet in the Catholic Mass you must believe all that the Catholic Church teaches.
In other words, unity is lacking in the churches.

If I believe in the Catholic church, but a member of Christ Arsenal because I believe in them too and because we serve the same God and both churches preach the Word, am I still not eligible to receive communion in either of the churches?
Re: Holy Communion And The Catholic Church by Nobody: 6:56pm On May 08, 2015
vonn:

If I believe in the Catholic church, but a member of Christ Arsenal because I believe in them too and because we serve the same God and both churches preach the Word, am I still not eligible to receive communion in either of the churches?
According to Catholic ecclesiology and indeed the Bible the Church is one and is united in belief. Therefore the Catholic Church considers herself the one true church and the others as seperated brethren. And indeed if you look back to history with the eastern schisms and the protestant reformation you will find that all these churches seperated from the Catholic Church. God bless.
Re: Holy Communion And The Catholic Church by italo: 7:25pm On May 08, 2015
vonn:

If I believe in the Catholic church
, but a member of Christ Arsenal because I believe in them too and because we serve the same God and both churches preach the Word, am I still not eligible to receive communion in either of the churches?

If you believed in the Catholic Church, you would be an actively practising Catholic. Meaning you would live your spiritual life as taught by the Church. E.g You would go to mass every Sunday and other Holy days, you would go to confession if you committed any serious sins, also you would believe that when Christ Arsenal says that Holy Communion is only a symbol of Jesus, they are wrong etc...then you would be eligible to receive Holy Communion in a Catholic Church.

What the Catholic Church distributes at every mass is Jesus himself and we receive him with utmost reverence.

Giving him to people who believe that he is mere biscuit...would be sacrilegious.

I hope you can understand.

5 Likes

Re: Holy Communion And The Catholic Church by vonn(f): 7:36pm On May 08, 2015
italo:

If you believed in the Catholic Church, you would be an actively practising Catholic. Meaning you would live your spiritual life as taught by the Church. E.g You would go to mass every Sunday and other Holy days, you would go to confession if you committed any serious sins, also you would believe that when Christ Arsenal says that Holy Communion is only a symbol of Jesus, they are wrong etc...then you would be eligible to receive Holy Communion in a Catholic Church.

What the Catholic Church distributes at every mass is Jesus himself and we receive him with utmost reverence.

Giving him to people who believe that he is mere biscuit...would be sacrilegious.

I hope you can understand.
Alright...... Thank you

1 Like

Re: Holy Communion And The Catholic Church by italo: 7:43pm On May 08, 2015
vonn:

Alright...... Thank you

You're welcome.
Re: Holy Communion And The Catholic Church by Ubenedictus(m): 9:33am On May 14, 2015
vonn:

Okay....

if you see you brother falling into a well will you save him first or wait to see if he can swim?

There are very few Christian Churches that believe that communion is actually, fully the body of Christ, the Catholic church and the Orthodox communion, the oriental churches... As the first post said, to believe that the communion is the only true body and blood of Jesus Christ as catholics do is to cease to be protestant.

The general Instuction is not precise but it is an act of Charity. If I see a brother about to err I will not wait for "God to judge" him, I'll first correct him and if he decides by himself to err then I'll still tell him about the mercy of God. That is what catholics do.
Re: Holy Communion And The Catholic Church by silverdam(m): 5:59pm On Aug 26, 2015
Vonn, I love your story 'Two Realms', please kindly give me permission to copy the story on my blog. Please I beg you, I will acknowledge you as the writer and owner of the story. Please say yes. Please vonn.
Re: Holy Communion And The Catholic Church by vonn(f): 11:18pm On Aug 28, 2015
silverdam:
Vonn, I love your story 'Two Realms', please kindly give me permission to copy the story on my blog. Please I beg you, I will acknowledge you as the writer and owner of the story. Please say yes. Please vonn.
I gave the details before I started. The story is not mine-a friend's. You can reach him directly with the info provided or go thru me.
Make your pick.
Re: Holy Communion And The Catholic Church by tobechi74: 11:21pm On Aug 28, 2015
Hungry op want to eat communion
Re: Holy Communion And The Catholic Church by silverdam(m): 8:07am On Aug 29, 2015
vonn:

I gave the details before I started. The story is not mine-a friend's. You can reach him directly with the info provided or go thru me.
Make your pick.
Please let me go through you. I tried sending him email, he hasn't reply yet. Maybe he doesn't check his emails often. Please let me go through you cos I don't have any of his contacts except his email addy

1 Like

Re: Holy Communion And The Catholic Church by Strongfaze(m): 10:32pm On Aug 30, 2015
Hello poster, when you read the book titled the FIVE GENERALS who are the founding fathers of the Protestant movement, you will see their argument against the Holy Communion in the Catholic church. They see it as a *SYMBOL* but the Catholic church says it is the *TRUE BODY OF CHRIST under the appearance of bread and wine. The Words: THIS IS MY BODY MAKES IT SO! And remember, even at that time some disciples were questioning themselves by saying how can He give us his flesh to eat?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How Abacha Tried To Kill Me – Pastor Adeboye / Between A Choir MASTER And A Choir MISTRESS Which Do You Prefer? / What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.