Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,009 members, 7,825,155 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 08:03 AM

Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US - Culture (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US (82505 Views)

Check Out Pictures Of The Igbo Farm Village In Virginia, USA / Igbo Community Built In Virginia USA See Photos. / Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Ihuomadinihu: 8:46am On May 04, 2015
NobleG1:
Ndigbo is probably the biggest and most vast nation on earth.

I was shocked but not surprised to know there is a large indegenious Igbo community in Surinam, a South American country. Their Igbo language and accent is a bit different but understandable to a typical Igbo person.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by RapLawd(m): 8:49am On May 04, 2015
TheReborn:

Presented with evidence, you talk about the white man making postulations. The same white man said Ejagham slaves made the markings. I thought you said no Ejagham slaves were taken from the Bight of Biafra.

And we don't care if you modernize Insibidi for the Igbos. We own the ideogram. The fact that we speak English does not make us better than the English. So please modernize Insibidi, the creation of the Ejagham for the Ibo. We don't mind at all. grin

This just makes us SS more wary of you guys. Next, you will start claiming the oil. Na wa.

never wanted to comment on this thread... have been reading a lot of your comment,but all I could do is laugh at your hatred towards Igbo, one thing that is clear is that the Op never said that nsibidi was originated from the Igbos, but you failed to see it that way,,,

what even concrete evidence do you have to back it up that it was ejagham's when it could be from any other source that ain't in history huh... stop being pathetic and be realistic -not the slowpoke that you just associates yourself with-you're more than that baby!!!

and no one is gonna claim your oil...not by the Igbos cus we're contented with what we have... including the oil... so be straight forward cus ejaghams will never dominate the Igbos in any form -not in this earth!!!

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Ihuomadinihu: 8:50am On May 04, 2015
At this point,it's no longer necessary to respond to irrelevant comments. Ndi igbo pls,quote and reply any important contribution related to Igbo ancestry/heritage/culture in the diaspora,biko nu.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 8:50am On May 04, 2015
Phut:

Okay, run away with your tail between your legs. Typical!

Post the original article you have been singing about all through this thread and not that contradictory BS you posted
listen whatever i post will be contradictory. there was a 250 year slave period and millions of igbo slaves. not all of them will react the same way. so any articles will be contradictory. you will have the docile igbo slaves and the not so docile igbo slaves. you dont expect millions of people to react the same way do you ? so why are you expecting me to produce an article that says ALL IGBOS WERE DOCILE ? what i simply did is provide from two well known slave historians of the era who said the ibo slaves were docile. and in doing that i achieved my goal of refuting your lies that all igbo slaves were brave and rebellious wink

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by bigfrancis21: 8:51am On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
listen you igbos are not as brave as you like to portray. the articles describes you guys as
1-mentally unstable
2-suicidal
3-tractable ( docile )

i see no positives in either of these traits. they all portray weakness. if you are stupid enough to kill yourself why not go on a killing spree and kill all the slave masters before you kill yourself ?

Lol. Your hatred will consume you. grin

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 8:55am On May 04, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Lol. Your hatred will consume you. grin
grin grin grin i dont have hatred for ndigbo. nidigbo are my brothers and sisters. our common enemy is the white man. this i am doing on nairaland only because ndigbo is always insulting my tribe on nairaland. its just a do me i do you venture. in reality i love any black man with morals and values regardless of tribe, and i hate any black man with no morals and values regardless of tribe. in fact in my own tribe, i cant stand many of the people in it. so for me this is not a tribal thing. it is a return the curtsy thing. you yab me i yab you. all na play. no harm no fowl grin wink

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 8:56am On May 04, 2015
Before I was blaming my fall father's why did they allowed the white men to took away my beloved sister's and brothers. ....but they have turned it to be an extended family ....In fact I am so happy for them. .......

IGBO KWENU, IGBO KWENU, IGBO KWENU , IGBO KWENUOOOOOOOO ....

I am proud of my tribe IGBO precisely. ......

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 8:58am On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
listen whatever i post will be contradictory. there was a 250 year slave period and millions of igbo slaves. not all of them will react the same way. so any articles will be contradictory. you will have the docile igbo slaves and the not so docile igbo slaves. you dont expect millions of people to react the same way do you ? so why are you expecting me to produce an article that says ALL IGBOS WERE DOCILE ? what i simply did is provide from two well known slave historians of the era who said the ibo slaves were docile. and in doing that i achieved my goal of refuting your lies that all igbo slaves were brave and rebellious wink
OneNaira6:

From that same book. The same place where you got that quote said and I quote, also posted above for verification.

"Igbo men were depised and the igbo women loved. Though igbo men sales was about the same rate as the women until it dropped due to preference for the women".

Also on that exact book, it equally stated and I wuote, also posted for reference, "igbo were not "refuse" slaves actually preferred because of the independent stance of the igbo women".

Nigga maybe next time actually read the entire portion of the book before jumping to it.

There are several books justifying that igbo women were docile and actually wanted by the slave master. Likewise, the same for other rebellious slave group women. Name one slave rebellion that started by women? We are talking about the men or did you forget what the convo was about aka SLAVE REBELS.

Even from your own post book it actually stated igbo men were depised. Try harder. We are still waiting.

Btw: avoiding to post the link or name where you get your exempts ain't going to stop us from researching what you provided. grin grin we all saw what you tried to do there. Thank God for Google books
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by bigfrancis21: 9:09am On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
listen you igbos are not as brave as you like to portray. the articles describes you guys as
1-mentally unstable
2-suicidal
3-tractable ( docile )

i see no positives in either of these traits. they all portray weakness. if you are stupid enough to kill yourself why not go on a killing spree and kill all the slave masters before you kill yourself ?

Please provide the link that claims Igbos were tractable. I don't remember you quoting any link, only some 'quoted text' which could have been made up by anybody.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 9:13am On May 04, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Please provide the link that claims Igbos were tractable. I don't remember you quoting any link, only some 'quoted text' which could have been made up by anybody.
dude ? ok

ok here is an excerpt from one of the articles

But female Igbo were valued as more emotionally stable than the men, and
hard workers. If we look closer at marketing patterns and other data, we see a
strikingly different image of the Igbo in various regions of the Americas. In
some places, they were especially prized. Colin Palmer’s study of the British
asiento slave trade to the Spanish Colonies (17?-1739) (ADD correct dates)
makes it clear that Spanish purchasers bought only prime Africans for whom
they paid the highest prices. Palmer wrote:,
“The Ibo . . .were considered [size=14pt]tractable[/size] and hence were highly sought
after by some of the slaveholders in the Americas.”ii
Moreau de St-Mery wrote that while some St. Domingue planters
hesitated to buy Igbo slaves because of their suicidal tendencies, others
preferred them because they were very attached to each other

OK LETS GOOGLE THE WORD ' TRACTABLE '

tractable
[trak-tuh-buh l]
Spell Syllables
Synonyms Examples Word Origin
adjective
easily managed or controlled; docile; yielding:
a tractable child; a tractable disposition.
easily worked, shaped, or otherwise handled; malleable.

NOW FROM THAT EXCERPT YOU CAN GET THE REST STORY
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 9:14am On May 04, 2015
tpiadotcom:
Well, I don't know, but obviously, you do

If you mistakenly enslave a babalawo who wants to be enslaved, na identured servant be that.

From the book Trinidad Yoruba: From Mother-Tongue to Memory By Maureen Warner-Lewis.Again Yorubas were enslaved but after slavery they and other groups like the Igbos went through Indenture-ship...hence why said not all of them came as slaves.

https://books.google.tt/books?id=qanc84tyUugC&pg=PT180&lpg=PT180&dq=Trinidad+Yoruba,+From+Mother+Tongue+to+Memory&source=bl&ots=4brGgRFtRt&sig=7GsgLr52viwaRuETtWr9I1C2IfE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=zQdHVZqNC5CDNq_XgKAM&ved=0CEIQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=Trinidad%20Yoruba%2C%20From%20Mother%20Tongue%20to%20Memory&f=false

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Ihuomadinihu: 9:17am On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
dude ? ok

“The Ibo . . .were considered [size=14pt]tractable[/size] and hence were highly sought

tractable
[trak-tuh-buh l]
Spell Syllables
adjective

I knew you were only referring to igbo women. Women irrespective of culture or ancestry are easily dominated and manageable. This trait is not exclusive to a particular set of women.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 9:18am On May 04, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

I knew you were only referring to igbo women. Women irrespective of culture or ancestry are easily dominated and manageable. This trait is not exclusive to a particular set of women.
nah it says the ibo ( both men and women ). read carefully and objectively. whenever it is referring to gender, it specifies the gender. wink

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Ihuomadinihu: 9:22am On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
nah it says the ibo ( both men and women ). read carefully and objectively wink
It never said ''all'' Igbos were tractable. There is a clear difference between some people prefered igbos and some peoole despiced igbos. We have enough articles about Igbo slaves and 80percent of them made references to how stubborn they were,bringing up one random article about a group of Igbos will not displace what other people have written about them.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 9:23am On May 04, 2015
The interesting part about the book Trinidad Yoruba: From Mother-Tongue to Memory By Maureen Warner-Lewis is that Yorubas were not in a majority.So that means quite a bit of people in Trinidad who practice Ifa and hold onto Yoruba culture are genetically not Yorubas.The book by Toyin Falola and Matt D Childs "The Yoruba Diaspora in the Atlantic World" also mentions the fact that the Yorubas were able to be culturally superior despite being small in numbers in some countries and effectively "Yorubarized" other ethnic groups.Yorubas also entered slavery a bit late mostly in the 19th century as a fall out due to the decline of the Oyo empire and the Islamic Jihad brouhahah going on in Africa.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 9:26am On May 04, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

It never said ''all'' Igbos were tractable. There is a clear difference between some people prefered igbos and some peoole despiced igbos. We have enough articles about Igbo slaves and 80percent of them made references to how stubborn they were,bringing up one random article about a group of Igbos will not displace what other people have written about them.
listen, the men who wrote those articles are not random men. they were the movers and shakers of the slavery world. they are both on wikipedia and one of them has a best-seller book on slavery. wait for the links. so i am sure they know more than eeryone. anyone who writes books during slavery period was aristocratic blue blood

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/156479?uid=3738032&uid=2&uid=4&sid=21106693787183 << YOU CAN BUY HIS BOOK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A9d%C3%A9ric_Louis_%C3%89lie_Moreau_de_Saint-M%C3%A9ry
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 9:27am On May 04, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I see that you are quite interested in learning about Igbo culture. I would want to believe that there are many others like you out there equally interested in the Igbo culture as well. This is a wake up call to Igbo people to reach out to its afro-descended peoples out there in the carribean and latin america.

I am into learning about different folks and their cultures generally. grin

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by bigfrancis21: 9:28am On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
dude ? ok

tractable
[trak-tuh-buh l]
Spell Syllables
adjective

Dude, I asked you for the link to the so-called excerpt you've been posting over and over on this thread. I want to see the website you pulled your excerpt from.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Ihuomadinihu: 9:29am On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
listen, the men who wrote those articles are not random men. they were the movers and shakers of the slavery world. they are both on wikipedia and one of them has a best-seller book on slavery. wait for the links. so i am sure they know more than eeryone. anyone who writes books during slavery period was aristocratic blue blood
One article by Colin Palmer does not rubbish the other articles written about Igbos. Am expecting other links from you.
I hope you know that there are different meanings of tractable??

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 9:30am On May 04, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

One article by Colin Palmer does not rubbish the other articles written about Igbos. Am experting other links from you.
I hope you know that there are different meanings of tractable??
i know, you are still in denial. it will sink in later wink

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 9:31am On May 04, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Dude, I asked you for the link to the so-called excerpt you've been posting over and over on this thread. I want to see the website you pulled your excerpt from.

dude, i cant post the whole thing. i suspect it may have adverts that will make the nairaland spambot ban me. however what you can do is google the excerpt provided and the book and article will pop up.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Ihuomadinihu: 9:32am On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
i know, you are still in denial. it will sink in later wink
Lol,denial about what? Lol,you are the one denying that igbo slaves were mostly rebellious and unmangable.
Tractable could mean different things in different contexts.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 9:35am On May 04, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Lol,denial about what? Lol,you are the one denial that igbo slaves were mostly rebellious and unmangable .
Tractable could mean different things in different contexts.
listen, three words qualify igbo slaves

1-mentally unstable
2-suicidal
3-docile

off course a mentally unstable person is not managable. but this had nothing to do with bravery. the ones who were mentally stable were docile. i have provided articles from two well known authors of the slavery period. you can believe them or you can sit in denial
wink

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Ihuomadinihu: 9:41am On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
listen, three words qualify igbo slaves

1-mentally unstable
2-suicidal
3-docile

off course a mentally unstable person is not managable. but this had nothing to do with bravery. the ones who were mentally stable were docile. i have provided articles from two well known authors of the slavery period. you can believe them or you can sit in denial
wink
You are only trying to posit that Igbo slaves were mentally unstable. Does this assumption make sense to a reasonable person? Even the European colonialist have never used mental unstability and Igbos in the same sentence. Nor have i seen anybody juxtapose igbo and tractable in the same breath. I thought you were interested in arguing about igbo ancestry in the Americas but you more concerned in making a mockery of an entire ethnic group.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 9:46am On May 04, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

You are only trying to posit that Igbo slaves were mentally unstable. Does this assumption make sense to a reasonable person? Even the European colonialist have never used mentally unstability and Igbos in the same sentence. Nor have i seen anybody juxtapose igbo and tractable in the same breath. I thought you were intersted in arguing about igbo ancestry in the America but you more concerned in making a mockery of an entire ethnic group.
let me tell you what happened to the REAL rebellious slaves, which are the yorubas, which is why there were many igbo slaves in america but not enough yorubas. the real rebellious slaves, of which 90 percent of them were yorubas never made it to america. they either all jumped off the boat and swam back to their countries or drowned. or they mutinied and attacked the ship owners and killed them and drove the ship back to africa. thats real bravery. not like the ndigbos who allow themselves to be taken on a 3 month voyage in the belly of a ship, and then get mentally unstable when they get to america and start killing themselves. its too late when you get to america. you shoulda been killed yourself like the yorubas did on the slave ships. not after you get to destination. BRAVE SONS OF ODUDUWA wink

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Ihuomadinihu: 9:53am On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
let me tell you what happened to the REAL rebellious slaves, which are the yorubas, which is why there were many igbo slaves in america but not enough yorubas. the real rebellious slaves, of which 90 percent of them were yorubas never made it to america. they either all jumped off the boat and swam back to their countries or drowned. or they mutinied and attacked the ship owners and killed them and drove the ship back to africa. thats real bravery. not like the ndigbos who allow themselves to be taken on a 3 month voyage in the belly of a ship, and then get mentally unstable when they get to america and start killing themselves. its too late when you get to america. you shoulda been killed yourself like the yorubas did on the slave ships. not after you get to destination. BRAVE SONS OF ODUDUWA wink
This is the most ridiculous stuff i have read. Why are you stealing igbo slave history? Which slave dealer documented this trash. Lol.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 9:55am On May 04, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

This is the most ridiculous stuff i have read. Why are you stealing igbo slave history? Which slave dealer documented this trash. Lol.
Yall ndigbo cowards shoulda been killed yourself on the slave ships or tried to escape, like the sons of oduduwa did. there is a reason why almost all the slaves in america are ndigbo. cuz you was easily subdued on them slave ships. grin

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Ihuomadinihu: 9:56am On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
Very funny sha. Ngwa,produce your links afterall you have been ranting about links all morning.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Malawian(m): 9:56am On May 04, 2015
quimicababes:

I am from the Caribbean ,Trinidadian to be precise.Caribbean folks do not speak Igbo nor do we study African history generally in terms of the different ethnic groups and their respective history.Most Caribbean folks don't care about that as our culture is too mixed up with African,Indian,Chinese and European influences.For those of us who care about knowing more about African culture beyond what was preserved the bridge is usually Yoruba culture...like in Trinidad we have quite a number of Orisha devotees that our laws even have an Orisa Marriage Act.

I have met more Igbo Nigerians in my country than Yoruba Nigerian however.Also for the English speaking Caribbean,the University of the West Indies (UWI),Trinidad campus teaches the Yoruba language not Igbo again because there is more interest in Yoruba culture and ties to it.

cheesy cheesy
yoruba man don become trinidanian grin grin grin

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Ihuomadinihu: 9:58am On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
Yall ndigbo cowards shoulda been killed yourself on the slave ships or tried to escape, like the sons of oduduwa did. there is a reason why almost all the slaves in america are ndigbo. cuz you was easily subdued on them slave ships. grin
Lol! All your points have been trashed,the least you can do is to engage in ethnic bigotry and insults.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Ihuomadinihu: 9:59am On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
You mean the Most Cowardice race in Nigerian. Even Fulanis were your slave masters.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 10:00am On May 04, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Lol! All your points have been trashed,the least you can do is to engage in ethnic bigotry and insults.
trashed ? i provided credible sources. you didnt trash nothing lol cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (24) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi Pays Wuriaola's Dowry; New Wife Steps Out In Royal Wedding Outfit / 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria / 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.