Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,266 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:50 AM

Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US - Culture (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US (82271 Views)

Check Out Pictures Of The Igbo Farm Village In Virginia, USA / Igbo Community Built In Virginia USA See Photos. / Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Ihuomadinihu: 12:12pm On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
truth be told ndigbos are the most tribalistic in nigeria
Kindly push this to the sectarian page,that is where you will find answers to your issues.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 12:13pm On May 04, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

I believe you are daft. The people talking about GEJ fall into the politics section. I know am only indulging your foolishness....at least i know your reason for spewing rubbish even when it's uncalled for.
here we go with the insults again. when i unleash on you now you will start crying shocked grin

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 12:14pm On May 04, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Kindly push this to the sectarian page,that is where you will find answers to your issues.
they have a sectarian page on nairaland ?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Ihuomadinihu: 12:17pm On May 04, 2015
At this point,this thread has served its purpose by exposing Nigerians to Igbo ancestry in America and the Caribbean. If you are aware of more traces of African/igbo heritage and customs in the diaspora,pls post it.
Cheers.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by OneNaira6: 12:26pm On May 04, 2015
[quote author=sukkot post=33400456][/quote]

No you ended up proving EXACTLY what we all been saying. no one ever denied igbo women were docile during slave trade. Every African tribes women were docile hence till date, the were never a slave rebellion done by women and infact black female slaves were liked more so than the males.
The only time the women got involved with any rebellious act is when they were motivated by the males. For example: the only known Black female slave that killed her master was an igbo female and prior to doing that, she was actually loved by her master. She did exactly as she was told until that master bought two new igbo male slaves and both males motivated her into joining them to kill the master so they can escape ( ar least that what their trial said). That master was James Madison's grandfather.

Every rebellion known for black slaves were done by male folks hence the tribes labeled rebellious were labeled so based on the men attitude. The mandigos, the igbos, the akans, the Angolan clans, the wolof, etc were hated by the white slave owners due to their rebellious act and this is a well documented fact. Even the book were you got the exempts quote also verified this hence the same book stated the igbo women were loved while the Igbo men were despised.

So no dude, all you did is Prove us right once again. We still waiting on your "well documented proves" and that seem to be a dawning task of you. The best you could get was getting an exempt speaking of women. Best believe I can assist you on articles from the slave masters praising igbo women while down putting and hating on igbo men. There are numerous of it but alas that ain't what we are talking about. We are talking about the SLAVE REBELS aka the MALE FOLKS. Pay attention. You said you have numerous links amd books that stated igbo men are docile and not rebellious. We still waiting on just ONE proof from you. Yet nothing.

Sigh!!! Self claimed historian why are you so clueless on history eeh?
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Ihuomadinihu: 12:31pm On May 04, 2015
OneNaira6:

No you ended up proving EXACTLY what we all been saying. no one ever denied igbo women were docile during slave trade. Every African tribes women were docile hence till date, the were never a slave rebellion done by women and infact black female slaves were liked more so than the males.
The only time the women got involved with any rebellious act is when they were motivated by the males. For example: the only known Black female slave that killed her master was an igbo female and prior to doing that, she was actually loved by her master. She did exactly as she was told until that master bought two new igbo male slaves and both males motivated her into joining them to kill the master so they can escape ( ar least that what their trial said). That master was James Madison's grandfather.

Every rebellion known for black slaves were done by male folks hence the tribes labeled rebellious were labeled so based on the men attitude. The mandigos, the igbos, the akans, the Angolan clans, the wolof, etc were hated by the white slave owners due to their rebellious act and this is a well documented fact. Even the book were you got the exempts quote also verified this hence the same book stated the igbo women were loved while the Igbo men were despised.

So no dude, all you did is Prove us right once again. We still waiting on your "well documented proves" and that seem to be a dawning task of you. The best you could get was getting an exempt speaking of women. Best believe I can assist you on articles from the slave masters praising igbo women while down putting and hating on igbo men. There are numerous of it but alas that ain't what we are talking about. We are talking about the SLAVE REBELS aka the MALE FOLKS. Pay attention. You said you have numerous links amd books that stated igbo men are docile and not rebellious. We still waiting on just ONE proof from you. Yet nothing.

Sigh!!! Self claimed historian why are you so clueless on history eeh?
Thank you. That has already been sorted out. He admitted he is just a troll.
On a lighter note,i read where they praised igbo women's beauty and work rate.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by OneNaira6: 12:32pm On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
let me tell you what happened to the REAL rebellious slaves, which are the yorubas, which is why there were many igbo slaves in america but not enough yorubas. the real rebellious slaves, of which 90 percent of them were yorubas never made it to america. they either all jumped off the boat and swam back to their countries or drowned. or they mutinied and attacked the ship owners and killed them and drove the ship back to africa. thats real bravery. not like the ndigbos who allow themselves to be taken on a 3 month voyage in the belly of a ship, and then get mentally unstable when they get to america and start killing themselves. its too late when you get to america. you shoulda been killed yourself like the yorubas did on the slave ships. not after you get to destination. BRAVE SONS OF ODUDUWA wink

Aww now I know this guy grief. Heya unfortunately for you, Yoruba were NEVER recorded as rebellious. There was not ONE single documented slave revolution that involved Yoruba. The wolof, bini, etc from bright of benin were rebellious yes but never Yoruba

The documented rebellious groups were wolof, mandigo, akan, igbo, and Angolan clans. YORUBA were NEVER included nor feared or hated by the white masters. The yoruba slaves did as they were told. Sorry for the grievance. Ndo oo. Take heart oo
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by situationroom: 12:43pm On May 04, 2015
hahahahahah..igbos always trying to prove a point... either I was here first or I helped you developed......

story for the ynash.....you will always be a minority especially in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by OneNaira6: 12:46pm On May 04, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Thank you. That has already been sorted out. He admitted he is just a troll.
On a lighter note,i read where they praised igbo women's beauty and work rate.

Yeah majority of the articles written about igbo women during that era praised the living sh1t out of them and funny enough, in each praise article I've read, they always write nothing but negative degrading comments about the men. I recall one I read where the author was talking about igbo women and beauty and if they were europeans they will be extremely sort after, etc. Ironically on that same article the author called igbo men sickly looking, beedy eyes and much more negative comments. I'm like wtf... can't even give props to the men that gave birth to those women he was praising. they loved the women but hated the men. But then again, igbo women made their job easier for them. They were more open to mingling and mixing with other tribes .

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by situationroom: 12:59pm On May 04, 2015
Trailblazer1:

Igbo hater........ Please park well.

If you can't beat the Igbos, please join them cheesy

hahaha see this one ooo...please spare me this your insane shit.....let me ask you a simple question

if igbos were this good and intelligent why hasn't the world recognize them?? or haven't you heard of the saying that a gold fish has no hiding place.........U WILL ALWAYS BE A MINORITY........ START LIVING THE DREAM
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by themanderon: 1:00pm On May 04, 2015
you all are busy fighting over something that would never put food on your table. you have more problems to grapple with and not fighting over who was a slave or not.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 1:02pm On May 04, 2015
OneNaira6:

Aww now I know this guy grief. Heya unfortunately for you, Yoruba were NEVER recorded as rebellious. There was not ONE single documented slave revolution that involved Yoruba. The wolof, bini, etc from bright of benin were rebellious yes but never Yoruba

The documented rebellious groups were wolof, mandigo, akan, igbo, and Angolan clans. YORUBA were NEVER included nor feared or hated by the white masters. The yoruba slaves did as they were told. Sorry for the grievance. Ndo oo. Take heart oo
yorubas were never captured as slaves in large numbers. you igbo cowards were the ones who were mostly captured. thats why most slaves were igbos. do you see any hausa slaves ? only the weak tribes were enslaved. this why all the slaves in virginia were igbo. you are coawrds. however if bravery is by shouting then you igbos are the bravest lol. your bravery is only in your head. but everywhere else everyone looks at you as cowards wink

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by somegirl1: 1:25pm On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
just google a few words from the excerpt and the whole thing will pop up

I've done that and I still have seen no link to the original article, just quotes. That quote appears to be addressing one angle of a debate, I would like to see the rest of the article not selected bits.

Appears to be a case of mistaken identity since people from the SE and what is now SS were identified with Igbos. See the link below.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=nSOyBs14tHEC&pg=PA103&lpg=PA103&dq=The+Ibo+.+.+.were+considered+tractable&source=bl&ots=mo8nOH5jRh&sig=X8eun0q6O5v0PlWm_e8isiRqozw&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Z2BHVeicC8TuaImmgfAP&ved=0CD8Q6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=The%20Ibo%20.%20.%20.were%20considered%20tractable&f=false

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Malawian(m): 1:41pm On May 04, 2015
pazienza:

Don't be too quick to speak ill of the ejaghams. That lady is not an Ejagham, until proven otherwise.

Her default ethnic group is everything but Ejagham.
una no know who be the guy behind that moniker?

we in the game sabi each other well cheesy cheesy
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by abnsugbe: 2:07pm On May 04, 2015
vonmaxwell:
If only Nigerians will give Igbo people chance to develop her. This shows that Igbo is part of Developed USA. Woow

baifara will come..all Hail Our director #Nnamdi Kanu...Pls tune in to 97.60 or 88.00 to listen...
We are been Marginalilsed here in the zoo called Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by abnsugbe: 2:08pm On May 04, 2015
SlickBack2:
Yep, that's right. I rep Igbo.....(And I made FP or the first time)

baifara will come..all Hail Our director #Nnamdi Kanu...Pls tune in to 97.60 or 88.00 to listen...
We are been Marginalilsed here in the zoo called Nigeria...we need #Freddom
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by abnsugbe: 2:10pm On May 04, 2015
slimderek:
Chris brown is from Virginia.
Does it mean he's an igbo dude?

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by abnsugbe: 2:10pm On May 04, 2015
ezeagu:
These signs are disputed as being European designs.

They're not 75%, 75% have at least one ancestor. There are evidences of Igbo culture, language and cuisine in the United States. The word okra was introduced into English by American Igbo slaves. The culture of Jonkonnu and Obeah/Hoodoo practices were introduced by Igbo slaves. Gumbo is very similar to Okro (or okro soup) and it's based on okra.

Virginia/North Carolina Jonkonnu masquerade

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by SirShymexx: 3:57pm On May 04, 2015
quimicababes:
The interesting part about the book Trinidad Yoruba: From Mother-Tongue to Memory By Maureen Warner-Lewis is that Yorubas were not in a majority.So that means quite a bit of people in Trinidad who practice Ifa and hold onto Yoruba culture are genetically not Yorubas.The book by Toyin Falola and Matt D Childs "The Yoruba Diaspora in the Atlantic World" also mentions the fact that the Yorubas were able to be culturally superior despite being small in numbers in some countries and effectively "Yorubarized" other ethnic groups.Yorubas also entered slavery a bit late mostly in the 19th century as a fall out due to the decline of the Oyo empire and the Islamic Jihad brouhahah going on in Africa.

Yorubas were taken to Trinidad - the few ones they took went there when slavery had been abolished, hence majority of them still remember their ancestry. A classic example is Kareem Abdul Jabaar.

However, majority of the slaves taken to Tobago were from the Bight of Benin. And the culture is more pronounced there than Trinidad.

Also, when once you start checking the recorded numbers, you'll discover that the number of slaves sold weren't actually that much, compared to unrecorded ones. Suffice to say majority of those taken to the new world were captured not sold.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 4:06pm On May 04, 2015
abnsugbe:

That thief. Oga, you had better look for better thing to do.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Malawian(m): 4:21pm On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
here we go with the insults again. when i unleash on you now you will start crying shocked grin
she is igbo, we dont cry!!

unlike people of the waste.

typical yorubaman looking to fight a woman. na there una power reach grin grin

be very very careful !!!!

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 4:23pm On May 04, 2015
Malawian:

she is igbo, we dont cry!!

unlike people of the waste.

typical yorubaman looking to fight a woman. na there una power reach grin grin

be very very careful !!!!
my bros i hail ooooo. kedu kodi grin grin
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Malawian(m): 4:26pm On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
yorubas were never captured as slaves in large numbers. you igbo cowards were the ones who were mostly captured. thats why most slaves were igbos. do you see any hausa slaves ? only the weak tribes were enslaved. this why all the slaves in virginia were igbo. you are coawrds. however if bravery is by shouting then you igbos are the bravest lol. your bravery is only in your head. but everywhere else everyone looks at you as cowards wink
yoruba people were all hiding inside olumo rock ni.
you expect the whiteman to go inside there to look for them?
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 4:29pm On May 04, 2015
SirShymexx:

Yorubas were taken to Trinidad - the few ones they took went there when slavery had been abolished, hence majority of them still remember their ancestry. A classic example is Kareem Abdul Jabaar.

However, majority of the slaves taken to Tobago were from the Bight of Benin. And the culture is more pronounced there than Trinidad.

Also, when once you start checking the recorded numbers, you'll discover that the number of slaves sold weren't actually that much, compared to unrecorded ones. Suffice to say majority of those taken to the new world were captured not sold.

Interesting.Hahah as a Trinidadian there are differences between us and Tobagonians.The African presence is indeed stronger in Tobago than Trinidad and they are extremely proud of their culture.I should research Tobago own further...thanks for the heads up wink

That whole slavery fracas is interesting as you recognize a lot of Africans who were enslaved were mainly due to the vulnerability they had after their respective nations started to breakdown from within.The major lesson to be learnt is that an enemy can only destroy you once your group is already compromised and weakened.Reminds me of that quote was in the movie Apocalypto:

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within. - Will Durant
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by SirShymexx: 4:49pm On May 04, 2015
quimicababes:

Interesting.Hahah as a Trinidadian there are differences between us and Tobagonians.The African presence is indeed stronger in Tobago than Trinidad and they are extremely proud of their culture.I should research Tobago own further...thanks for the heads up wink

That whole slavery fracas is interesting as you recognize a lot of Africans who were enslaved were mainly due to the vulnerability they had after their respective nations started to breakdown from within.The major lesson to be learnt is that an enemy can only destroy you once your group is already compromised and weakened.Reminds me of that quote was in the movie Apocalypto:

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within. - Will Durant

Lol. So, you're Trini, no? - interesting. Yes, the admixture with Indians is more pronounced in Trinidad than Tobago. And I believe the population differential between people of black descent and those of Indian descent isn't that much. Perhaps, that also played a major role in the African presence. But Trinidad and Tobago does breed good looking women tho.

Do you know Dominica (not Dominican republic)? I've a female friend from there that lives down the road from me, and it seems African culture is also prominent there.

Yes, if not for the intra/inter empire/kingdom wars, a lot folks wouldn't have been enslaved. And once these kings and merchants saw how lucrative it was - they all started getting involved in it. However, we must never forget the fact that majority of the people taken away were captured by the Europeans themselves after ransacking kingdoms - with help from enemies within - the race traitors.

Also, it's interesting how most of these slaves wanted to return back to their homelands in Africa - and those who were able to did return. And a lot of them kept their identities intact. However, a lot of folks from this generation use the sold-into-slavery crap by Africans cos of the excessive brainwashing to hate on black folks from Africa.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by somegirl1: 4:52pm On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
my bros i hail ooooo. kedu kodi grin grin

Still waiting for the link to the original article.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 5:04pm On May 04, 2015
Malawian:

yoruba people were all hiding inside olumo rock ni.
you expect the whiteman to go inside there to look for them?
yes wink
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 5:05pm On May 04, 2015
somegirl1:

Still waiting for the link to the original article.
i have called truce with my fellow ndigbo brothers and sisters. lets bury the hatchet. lets not dig up the fight again. united we stand and divided we fall. although i hope you are not one of the proponents for a separate biafra wink

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 5:08pm On May 04, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol. So, you're Trini, no? - interesting. Yes, the admixture with Indians is more pronounced in Trinidad than Tobago. And I believe the population differential between people of black descent and those of Indian descent isn't that much. Perhaps, that also played a major role in the African presence. But Trinidad and Tobago does breed good looking women tho.

Do you know Dominica (not Dominican republic)? I've a female friend from there that lives down the road from me, and it seems African culture is also prominent there.

Yes, if not for the intra/inter empire/kingdom wars, a lot folks wouldn't have been enslaved. And once these kings and merchants saw how lucrative it was - they all started getting involved in it. However, we must never forget the fact that majority of the people taken away were captured by the Europeans themselves after ransacking kingdoms - with help from enemies within - the race traitors.

Also, it's interesting how most of these slaves wanted to return back to their homelands in Africa - and those who were able to did return. And a lot of them kept their identities intact. However, a lot of folks from generation use the sold-into-slavery crap by Africans cos of the excessive brainwashing to hate on black folks from Africa.

Yes I am Trini and yea we mixed up as hell...my grandma was an Indian and grandpa had Chinese on his side lol.Most Black Trinis are not really pure compared to Tobago.How can I not know Dominica? Trini be the meeting country for Caribbean folks as many of us have parents and grandparents from the other islands.10% of our population is foreigners with folks from all over the Caribbean and the world lol.

African culture is indeed strong in the other islands.I don't think diaspora blacks hate Africans so much cuz of the "they sold me us line" well at least in the Caribbean.I think its more us having negative perceptions of Africa because of what we have been taught and what the media pushes.The general image is that of poverty,war, etc.Despite our challenges I would still say the average Caribbean folk have love for Africans especially as we had the Black Power movement,Rastafari,Shango/Spiritual Baptist bizness etc.

I just think Blacks on the whole don't like themselves and that it includes Africans I have interacted with...basically many of us have an inferiority complex.I be a proud darkie however grin cheesy shocked

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by somegirl1: 5:11pm On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
yes wink

Are you going to provide the link?
Shouldn't be too much to ask of a "historian".
The ". . ." represents omitted text which may be very important in this debate so it is absolutely necessary to see the full sentence/ paragraph rather than the truncated version.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by somegirl1: 5:14pm On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
i have called truce with my fellow ndigbo brothers and sisters. lets bury the hatchet. lets not dig up the fight again. united we stand and divided we fall. although i hope you are not one of the proponents for a separate biafra wink

Ok, good for you and your fellow ndigbo brothers and sisters.
I personally love to learn from historians like yourself so I would still love to see the link please. smiley
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 5:14pm On May 04, 2015
somegirl1:

Are you going to provide the link?
Shouldn't be too much to ask of a "historian".
The ". . ." represents omitted text which may be very important in this debate so it is absolutely necessary to see the full sentence/ paragraph rather than the truncated version.
did you not google the excerpt ? yeah whatever it brings up is the link. i hope the spambot does not kick my butt if i post the link

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi Pays Wuriaola's Dowry; New Wife Steps Out In Royal Wedding Outfit / 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria / 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.