Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,512 members, 7,819,853 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:24 AM

Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US (82416 Views)

Check Out Pictures Of The Igbo Farm Village In Virginia, USA / Igbo Community Built In Virginia USA See Photos. / Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Okeikpu(m): 9:19pm On May 03, 2015
Igbo ndi oma eji eje mba ( ˘ ³˘)❤
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Ihuomadinihu: 9:21pm On May 03, 2015
pinkguy:
Chiso. !!!!! Igbo want steal ibibo n efik history again we knew the real origin of that hand writen google with help, just the way the steal the ikot epene riot and name its aba riot
No human civilization is static. People borrow from each other. All great human civilization have heavily borrowed from other cultures.
Aba riot is an Igbo womens riot which incoporated ibibio women in the struggle. Google is your friend.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by PPAngel(f): 9:21pm On May 03, 2015
Big lie

The Binis where heavily involved in the slave trade.

The oba just banned the flinging of Binis by fellow Binis

Today nemesis is in full circle with Binis selling themselves knowingly into sexual slavery as pr0stitutes in Europe

Karma sh1t rit there

AreaFada2:
Very interesting to see the lies of some tribes who claimed Benin raided neighbouring tribes for slaves.

It further confirms the report of a 17th century French slave trader that Oba of Benin had banned Slave trade involving Benin people, whether as slave or as a trader.

That certain elite of other tribes within Benin empire then negotiated freedom to sell their own people. That among the 100 or so slaves marketed along the route to Gwatto/Ughoton Port, there was no Benin trader or slave among them.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by bigfrancis21: 9:22pm On May 03, 2015
TheReborn:

The table supplied proves nothing. Several tribes were taken along with the Igbos from the Bight of Biafra. Don't forget that earlier writings often grouped most of the tribes of SE as Igbo even when they were not.

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/23267213?uid=3738720&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&sid=21106686753233

In the link above, you will find other tribes listed along with the Igbos as those taken out from the Bight of Biafra.

http://ugrrquilt.hartcottagequilts.com/woods

In the link above, the ideograms are rightly attributed to the Ejagham tribe of Cross River State.

I don't see anybody claiming nsibidi as Igbo. The issue at hand here isn't about who invented nsibidi, but which tribe is responsible for actually engraving the nsibidi on those grave stones - and it was the Igbos. Ejaghams introduced nsibidi but however, some southern Igbo groups (eg. arochukwu) also used the nsibidi writing system, which they carried along with them to the americas. The nsibidi writings on grave stones in america today are attributed to these Igbo slaves as the writers of those symbols, and not the efiks/ejaghams (even though the ejaghams might have been the originators). If not for these Igbo slaves, we would not have been hearing of the so-called strange markings on grave stones in virginia.

Also, at one time the Igbos in Virginia were so many, that Virginia was named 'new Eboeland'. The graveyard where the writings were found in is said to be the graveyard used for mass burial of the Igbo slaves of virginia. Mind you, that majority of Igbo slaves came from southern Igboland. The arochukwu people were very influential in the slave trade.

Succinctly put, the ejagham introduced nsibidi, but the Igbos took it and made it internationally known. Save for these Igbo slaves who took it to america and internationally, nsibidi would have been some nearly forgotten piece of history in the annals of man.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sherizzle1(m): 9:22pm On May 03, 2015
ezeagu:

Obeah is an Igbo word, Obia, it means sciences.

"Obeah (sometimes spelled Obi, Obea, or Obia),[1] is a term used in the West Indies to refer to folk magic, sorcery, and religious practices developed among West African slaves, specifically of Igbo origin."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obeah

Okra is an Igbo word, which means that Igbo speakers were probably most identified with it, besides that, the question was about linguistic evidence and okra is just one word along with Eboe Drum, Red bone, and so on.

"The origin of the word junkanoo is rather obscure. Douglas Chambers, professor of African studies at the University of Southern Mississippi, suggests a possible Igbo origin from the Igbo yam deity Njoku Ji referencing festivities in time for the new yam festival. Chambers also suggests a link with the Igbo okonko masking tradition of southern Igboland which feature horned maskers and other masked characters in similar style to jonkonnu masks. Many of the colonies Jonkonnu was prominent, Bahamas, Jamaica, Virginia, had a relatively high percentage of Igbo people among the enslaved African population. Similarities with the Yoruba Egungun festivals have also been made."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkanoo

Your argument is strong but your choice of reference (Wikipedia) nullifies it's strength. Not hating or anything like that but could you dig up a more reliable reference?
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Ufranklin92(m): 9:23pm On May 03, 2015
tzoracle:

Anambra oo
Ndi o mpa

unu na enyekwa nzogbu grin
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by PPAngel(f): 9:23pm On May 03, 2015
LajaLaba:
That Op must be a dumb fellow!They are killing this site and Seun is on sleeping mode!Mo palu fun e omo maami

Jealousy and envy of everything Igbo no go kill una

Say amen!

7 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Waspy(m): 9:24pm On May 03, 2015
tzoracle:
Nawa o

All dis igbo posts are starting to annoy me
It shows inferiority complex,stop digging out all this facts like like u need anyones validation

And before u judge
I'm igbo
Full blooded
You are right. Seems you know your brothers quite well. This thread wouldn't have come up if the Yoruba teachers to Brazil thread never occurred. Niggas will always measure up. embarassed

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by scholes0(m): 9:24pm On May 03, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Genetics,culture and slave records already identified the area of Igbo dominace during trans-atlantic slavery.

Where then would you place the Tikars, Bamileke, Fangs, Ibibios, Bubis etc?
All of them together, make up 24% of all slaves into North America- let us assume Igbos made up half of all slave imports from the Bight of Biafra into North America, that is still 12%, right?

Also, not all African Americans today,are descendants of North American slave imports, there have been later waves of migrations from the Caribbean, which has also contributed significantly to the ancestry of AA's today. Overall, I would say Igbo Ancestry makes up no more than 8-10% of African American ancestry today (Overall). Still significant, in m humble opinion.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 9:25pm On May 03, 2015
idhalama:
I have a friend in Jamaica,she told me almost every one in Caribbean are igbos and they do speak igbo and the culture still goes on there,they even study history and talk about the igbos,only few yorubas,but more of igbo and people in the south south.

I am from the Caribbean ,Trinidadian to be precise.Caribbean folks do not speak Igbo nor do we study African history generally in terms of the different ethnic groups and their respective history.Most Caribbean folks don't care about that as our culture is too mixed up with African,Indian,Chinese and European influences.For those of us who care about knowing more about African culture beyond what was preserved the bridge is usually Yoruba culture...like in Trinidad we have quite a number of Orisha devotees that our laws even have an Orisa Marriage Act.

I have met more Igbo Nigerians in my country than Yoruba Nigerian however.Also for the English speaking Caribbean,the University of the West Indies (UWI),Trinidad campus teaches the Yoruba language not Igbo again because there is more interest in Yoruba culture and ties to it.

6 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by ezeagu(m): 9:26pm On May 03, 2015
sherizzle1:

Your argument is strong but your choice of reference (Wikipedia) nullifies it's strength. Not hating or anything like that but could you dig up a more reliable reference?

Inline reference guys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obeah#cite_note-eltis-2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkanoo#cite_note-doug-3
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by hamilton62(m): 9:27pm On May 03, 2015
tzoracle:

So u dn believe say I be igbo Weyrey
Always making conclusions. Nevertheless, thanks for you time though and God bless you!!!
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by bigfrancis21: 9:28pm On May 03, 2015
idhalama:
I have a friend in Jamaica,she told me almost every one in Caribbean are igbos and they do speak igbo and the culture still goes on there,they even study history and talk about the igbos,only few yorubas,but more of igbo and people in the south south.

Good to know. Honestly, an Igbo centre needs to be established in Jamaica, Belize, Trinidad, Tobago, Haiti, Carriacou etc and other places known to have imported Igbos in large numbers, to welcome back our blood descendants wishing to reconnect back to their culture.

For starters, they will have to adopt Igbo first or last names as these names were their rightful names and their true identity before it was stripped away from them. One's name is one's greatest identity, followed by one's language. Igbo descendants in the carribean wishing to reconnect back to Nigeria will have to reclaim back their identity for it is their right and heritage, wrongfully taken away from them during the slave trade.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by tzoracle: 9:28pm On May 03, 2015
Waspy:
You are right. Seems you know your brothers quite well. This thread wouldn't have come up if the Yoruba teachers to Brazil thread never occurred. Niggas will always measure up. embarassed

We both agree on that
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by TheReborn(f): 9:29pm On May 03, 2015
ezeagu:

You seriously need to read things more carefully.

No, YOU read carefully.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by ezeagu(m): 9:30pm On May 03, 2015
quimicababes:

I am from the Caribbean ,Trinidadian to be precise.Caribbean folks do not speak Igbo nor do we study African history generally in terms of the different ethnic groups and their respective history.Most Caribbean folks don't care about that as our culture is too mixed up with African,Indian,Chinese and European influences.For those of us who care about knowing more about African culture beyond what was preserved the bridge is usually Yoruba culture...like in Trinidad we have quite a number of Orisha devotees that our laws even have an Orisa Marriage Act.

I have met more Igbo Nigerians in my country than Yoruba Nigerian however.Also for the English speaking Caribbean,the University of the West Indies (UWI),Trinidad campus teaches the Yoruba language not Igbo again because there is more interest in Yoruba culture and ties to it.

That's Trinidad because of the indentured servants that went later, however in Jamaica the influence is Igbo which is why people talk about Obeah there and in Barbados. The nickname for Barbados is recognised as Igbo and so is the national hero Bussa. You could make the same argument with Ghanians in Guyana.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by bigfrancis21: 9:30pm On May 03, 2015
quimicababes:

Mostly due to the survival of ifa divination. Many of the people interested in ifa or its adherents are not ancestrally yoruba but follow the popularity ifa has gained all over the carribean and the quest to reconnect to mama africa.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Ihuomadinihu: 9:31pm On May 03, 2015
scholes0:

All of them together, make up 24% of all slaves into North America- let us assume Igbos made up half of all slave imports from the Bight of Biafra into North America, that is still 12%, right?

Also, not all African Americans today,are descendants of North American slave imports, there have been later waves of migrations from the Caribbean, which has also contributed significantly to the ancestry of AA's today. Overall, I would say Igbo Ancestry makes up no more than 8-10% of African American ancestry today (Overall). Still significant, in m humble opinion.
Lol,these are your personal assumptions. The contributions/presence of a large population of Igbo slaves in America cannot be over emphasized. I wonder why you are arguing as if exporting slaves to America is a thing to be proud of. Read up about Igbo slaves in America and the caribbean.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by tzoracle: 9:31pm On May 03, 2015
hamilton62:

Always making conclusions.
Nevertheless, thanks for you time though and God bless you!!!

Bless u too d same way u want Him to bless me

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by bigfrancis21: 9:32pm On May 03, 2015
scholes0:

There is DNA testing that shows the genetic distance between african americans and Igbos is shortest than between AAs and any other african tribe. That is, the Igbos and african americans share more similar genetic make up (in terms of the african origins in african americans and Igbos) than African americans and any other african tribe.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by ezeagu(m): 9:33pm On May 03, 2015
tzoracle:
Nawa o

All dis igbo posts are starting to annoy me
It shows inferiority complex,stop digging out all this facts like like u need anyones validation

And before u judge
I'm igbo
Full blooded

So somebody opened an interesting historic thread, but all you wanted to do was show how much of a Nigerian you are?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by jantavanta(m): 9:34pm On May 03, 2015
Good to know about the ideograms. Though I would be more interested in Igbo history that predates slave trade.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by AreaFada2: 9:35pm On May 03, 2015
PPAngel:

Big lie

The Binis where heavily involved in the slave trade.

The oba just banned the flinging of Binis by fellow Binis

Today nemesis is in full circle with Binis selling themselves knowingly into sexual slavery as pr0stitutes in Europe

Karma sh1t rit there.

LOL. Where you around then? Look at the table showing origins of slaves on this thread during slave trade. And see written report of slave buyers.
Your tribalism and bigotry cannot change history.

What you may not know in your ignorance is that Benin was an empire, with several tribes some more integrated, others nominally. Different tribes negotiated certain rights within the empire during poltical negotiations following war defeats.

While you assert without evidence, I am backing mine up with written reports.

If you knew anything about history, you will know that Benin stopped trade totally (even papper n ivory) with Europe when they kept insisting on slaves.

All those South American olosho all over Europe, are they also facing Karma? shocked shocked
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by ezeagu(m): 9:35pm On May 03, 2015
TheReborn:

No, YOU read carefully.

You're the one making up points from nothing. Making up arguments that are not there.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by htconeline: 9:36pm On May 03, 2015
they ibo we not like these
quimicababes:

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Hero10001: 9:36pm On May 03, 2015
So Virginia is a no mans land?! Iranu from jati jati pple.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by scholes0(m): 9:36pm On May 03, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Lol,these are your personal assumptions. The contributions/presence of a large population of Igbo slaves in America cannot be over emphasized. I wonder why you are arguing as if exporting slaves to America is a thing to be proud of. Read up about Igbo slaves in America and the caribbean.

How is that my personal opinion? stop projecting your own assumptions upon me....
You talked as if 90% of all Bight of Biafra slaves were Igbo, which I am refuting, although granted, Igbos were the majority. 24% of British North American slaves were from the Bight of B, half of them being Igbo would make around 12% Ibo ancestry, +/- 2% from mis-attributions, lumping, etc. Add Ancestry from elsewhere in the Americas, preent in today's AA, and we are looking somewhere between 10% +/- 2% again.
Hardly rocket science.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by TheReborn(f): 9:37pm On May 03, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I don't see anybody claiming nsibidi as Igbo. The issue at hand here isn't about who invented nsibidi, but which tribe is responsible for actually engraving the nsibidi on those grave stones - and it was the Igbos. Ejaghams introduced nsibidi but however, some southern Igbo groups (eg. arochukwu) also used the nsibidi writing system, which they carried along with them to the americas. The nsibidi writings on grave stones in america today are attributed to these Igbo slaves as the writers of those symbols, and not the efiks/ejaghams (even though the ejaghams might have been the originators). If not for these Igbo slaves, we would not have been hearing of the so-called strange markings on grave stones in virginia.

Also, at one time the Igbos in Virginia were so many, that Virginia was named 'new Eboeland'. The graveyard where the writings were found in is said to be the graveyard used for mass burial of the Igbo slaves of virginia. Mind you, that majority of Igbo slaves came from southern Igboland. The arochukwu people were very influential in the slave trade.

Succinctly put, the ejagham introduced nsibidi, but the Igbos took it and made it internationally known. Save for these Igbo slaves who took it to america and internationally, nsibidi would have been some nearly forgotten piece of history in the annals of man.

Some of you Igbos suffer from a misplaced sense of pride sometimes. I love how you think it is only the Igbos that were taken from the Bight of Biafra despite evidence proving the contrary. If you had taken time to open the second link, you would have seen that the markings on the grave stones have always been attributed to the Ejagham tribe. The first story I ever heard about those stones mentioned the Ejaghams as the engravers. Please stop trying so hard to rewrite history.

Thank you.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi Pays Wuriaola's Dowry; New Wife Steps Out In Royal Wedding Outfit / 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria / 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.