Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,439 members, 7,819,621 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:17 PM

Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US (82403 Views)

Check Out Pictures Of The Igbo Farm Village In Virginia, USA / Igbo Community Built In Virginia USA See Photos. / Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by LajaLaba: 9:37pm On May 03, 2015
PPAngel:

Jealousy and envy of everything Igbo no go kill una

Say amen!
WTF!why should i be jealous of lousy set of people God forbid!I am proud of who i am i kiss i just can't stand arrogancy undecided

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by bigfrancis21: 9:37pm On May 03, 2015
TheReborn:

The table supplied proves nothing. Several tribes were taken along with the Igbos from the Bight of Biafra. Don't forget that earlier writings often grouped most of the tribes of SE as Igbo even when they were not.

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/23267213?uid=3738720&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&sid=21106686753233

In the link above, you will find other tribes listed along with the Igbos as those taken out from the Bight of Biafra.

http://ugrrquilt.hartcottagequilts.com/woods

In the link above, the ideograms are rightly attributed to the Ejagham tribe of Cross River State.

The map sure proves something - that the bight of biafra dominated the english slave trade. Now, don't get depressed though. The portuguese were heavily involved in the slave trade and they preferred africans from the bight of benin which included many more african tribes (ewe, akan, fon, adja, barga, yoruba etc) than the bight of biafra (igbo, ibibio, ijaw).

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by musicwriter(m): 9:39pm On May 03, 2015
bigfrancis21:

You are making sense, however the main reason for the survival of yoruba tradition in the carribean and south america today is due to the fact that yoruba slaves were exported mostly during the latter half of the slave trade and especially towards the abolition era of slave trade when slave identity stripping policies were piping down and slaves were allowed to practice their religions. Many yorubas arrived the americas to find slaves who had long acculturated to their environment, lost much of their african culture and lost touch to mama africa. Still being fresh from africa, the yorubas were able to establish their religion in the new world, which attracted the attendance of other tribes as a means of connecting back to mama africa. While still remembering where they were brought from, many yorubas returned back to africa to settle in Nigeria (Ransome Kuti, Desmond Elliot, Tiamiyu Savage, etc. are examples of returnee yorubas who returned from south america with portuguese names, many of who latter changed their names to yoruba. They are referred to as saros) and Liberia.

Today, many of the adherents of Ifa in south america are ethnically not yoruba, but adhere to the religion in a sense of connection back to their african origin.

Ifa in South america today is simply a religion, open to anybody, just as we have christianity which is practised by jews, whites and blacks alike. Therefore, in no means should ifa adherents be referred to as 'yoruba descendants' simply because they profess to the religion.

Also in their favour was the fact that the portuguese, unlike the english, allowed the practise of native religions by the african slaves, thus permitting the survival of african traditions and culture in latin america. In stark opposite, the english sought ways to subdue the africans and strip them of their identity.

The bolded is perfectly true!. The British and French system of slave management went beyond just using slaves for free labour but to keep them in a perpetual mental slavery. The British and French were so loving this slave trade, they didn't just believe slavery will ever come to an end!. And even as slave trade ended, their missionary schools was nothing but a brainwashing institution to keep Africa in perpetual mental slavery.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Ihuomadinihu: 9:40pm On May 03, 2015
quimicababes:

I am from the Caribbean ,Trinidadian to be precise.Caribbean folks do not speak Igbo nor do we study African history generally in terms of the different ethnic groups and their respective history.Most Caribbean folks don't care about that as our culture is too mixed up with African,Indian,Chinese and European influences.For those of us who care about knowing more about African culture beyond what was preserved the bridge is usually Yoruba culture...like in Trinidad we have quite a number of Orisha devotees that our laws even have an Orisa Marriage Act.

I have met more Igbo Nigerians in my country than Yoruba Nigerian however.Also for the English speaking Caribbean,the University of the West Indies (UWI),Trinidad campus teaches the Yoruba language not Igbo again because there is more interest in Yoruba culture and ties to it.

That doesn't mean that Igbos were not exported to the carribbean. Recently,someone from the caribbean posted a carribbean-Igbo song and asked Igbo people to look into it.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by tzoracle: 9:40pm On May 03, 2015
ezeagu:

So somebody opened an interesting historic thread, but all you wanted to do was show how much of a Nigerian you are?

*yawns
So u saw my comment
And all you could do was quote me??
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by PPAngel(f): 9:40pm On May 03, 2015
LajaLaba:
WTF!why should i be jealous of lousy set of people God forbid!I am proud of who i am i kiss i just can't stand arrogancy undecided

You are jealous and envious like every yoruba I know

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Godsonkemz(m): 9:40pm On May 03, 2015
The more they try to kpai us the more we multiply. We are everywhere 'cos we run d world. Show me an igbo and i will show you lots of investment opportunities. Igbo kwezuenu...

6 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by htconeline: 9:40pm On May 03, 2015
kwametut is coming

all ibo gooooo cold
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by scholes0(m): 9:41pm On May 03, 2015
bigfrancis21:

There is DNA testing that shows the genetic distance between african americans and Igbos is shortest than between AAs and any other african tribe. That is, the Igbos and african americans share more similar genetic make up (in terms of the african origins in african americans and Igbos) than African americans and any other african tribe.

Show me.
I wouldnt want to say you are wrong for now since we are talking about an area where we are all learning here.
but since there were more Bantu and Mande slaves than Igbos in British NA, then I wonder how true that assessment is .
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by ezeagu(m): 9:41pm On May 03, 2015
tzoracle:

*yawns
So u saw my comment
And all you could do was quote me??

I could have figured you're child. Go to bed. Commenting is not an obligation.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by bigfrancis21: 9:41pm On May 03, 2015
TheReborn:

Some of you Igbos suffer from a misplaced sense of pride sometimes. I love how you think it is only the Igbos that were taken from the Bight of Biafra despite evidence proving the contrary. If you had taken time to open the second link, you would have seen that the markings on the grave stones have always been attributed to the Ejagham tribe. The first story I ever heard about those stones mentioned the Ejaghams as the engravers. Please stop trying so hard to rewrite history.

Thank you.

Are you this dumb? The language that we speak and write in today is English, which is not ours but belongs to the British people. Today, nigerians write books in english language, even though the language of writing is not ours, but the work is attributed to the Nigerian authors. The same goes for the authors of nsibidi works on the grave stones who were Igbo slaves, not ejagham slaves, even though ejaghams invented the nsibidi writing system.

Are you this slow?

11 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Waspy(m): 9:41pm On May 03, 2015
tzoracle:

We both agree on that
Are you really Ibo.... If truly, you're one of una kind
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Ihuomadinihu: 9:43pm On May 03, 2015
scholes0:

How is that my personal opinion? stop projecting your own assumptions upon me....
You talked as if 90% of all Bight of Biafra slaves were Igbo, which I am refuting, although granted, Igbos were the majority. 24% of British North American slaves were from the Bight of B, half of them being Igbo would make around 12% Ibo ancestry, +/- 2% from mis-attributions, lumping, etc. Add Ancestry from elsewhere in the Americas, preent in today's AA, and we are looking somewhere between 10% +/- 2% again.
Hardly rocket science.
Still your personal assumptions.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 9:44pm On May 03, 2015
On the historical ibo landing in South Carolina

In May 1803 a shipload of seized West Africans, upon surviving the middle passage, were landed by US-paid captors in Savannah by slave ship, to be auctioned off at one of the local slave markets. The ship's enslaved passengers included a number of Igbo people from what is now Nigeria. The Igbo were known by planters and slavers of the American South for being fiercely independent and more unwilling to tolerate chattel slavery.[3][4] The group of 75 Igbo slaves were bought by agents of John Couper and Thomas Spalding for forced labour on their plantations in St. Simons Island for $100 each.[5] The chained slaves were packed under the deck of a small vessel named the The Schooner York[2][1] to be shipped to the island (other sources write the voyage took place aboard The Morovia[6]). During this voyage the Igbo slaves rose up in rebellion taking control of the ship and drowning their captors in the process causing the grounding of the Morovia in Dunbar Creek at the site now locally known as Ebo Landing. The following sequence of events is unclear as there are several versions concerning the revolt's development, some of which are considered mythological. Apparently the Africans went ashore and subsequently, under the direction of a high Igbo chief who was among them walked in unison into the creek singing in Igbo language "The Water Spirit brought us, the Water Spirit will take us home", thereby accepting the protection of their God, Chukwu and death over the alternative of slavery.[7] Roswell King, a white overseer on the nearby Pierce Butler plantation, wrote one of the only contemporary accounts of the incident which states that as soon as the Igbo landed on St. Simons Island they took to the swamp, committing suicide by walking into Dunbar Creek.[4] A 19th century Savannah-written account of the event lists the surname Patterson for the captain of the ship and Roswell King as the person who recovered the bodies of the drowned.[8] A letter describing the event written by William Mein, a slave dealer from Mein, Mackay and Co. of Savannah states that the Igbo walked into the marsh, where 10 to 12 drowned, while some were "salvaged" by bounty hunters who received $10 a head from Spalding and Couper.[5] Survivors of the Igbo rebellion were taken to Cannon’s Point on St. Simons Island and Sapelo Island where they passed on their recollections of the events.[7][9]
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_Landing

No be today the Igbo resistance to oppression start
No wonder our fellow countrymen don't understand us and can never
We were born a fiercely independent people with nothing in common with those we are forced to share a country with and should have been an independent nation.
God created us with an independent spirit that abhors oppression and subjugation
That's why you can never tell us what to do and how to do it and expect us to keep silent when it doesn't feel right to us
You will die trying

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 9:48pm On May 03, 2015
ezeagu:

That's Trinidad because of the indentured servants that went later, however in Jamaica the influence is Igbo which is why people talk about Obeah there and in Barbados. The nickname for Barbados is recognised as Igbo and so is the national hero Bussa. You could make the same argument with Ghanians in Guyana.

I have been reading nairaland threads and it is silly how both Yorubas and Igbos talk about the Caribbean but how many of you all have been there or even lived there for a number of years? We use the term Obeah in Trinidad also...it is not unique to Jamaica or Barbados.Caribbean cultures are very similar in the English speaking Caribbean countries like Jamaica,Trinidad and Tobago,St Kitts and Nevis,Grenada etc.

Jamaica like Trinidad received East Indians and like us they have major East Indian influence but moreso us as more than 30% of our population is East Indians.The point I was glaring at is even if Barbados is known as Igbo...the average Caribbean folk does not care about these respective tribes.Our culture is not merely Igbo or Yoruba because we have influences from several different African ethnic groups which is further diluted by Chinese,Indian and European influences.

For those who care about knowing more about African culture they go the Yoruba route or Ghanaian because we are more exposed to it despite meeting more Igbo Nigerians.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by scholes0(m): 9:48pm On May 03, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Still your personal assumptions.

keep saying that to yourself while quoting ZERO references.....
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by TheReborn(f): 9:48pm On May 03, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Are you this dumb? The language that we speak and write in today is English, which is not ours but belongs to the British people. Today, nigerians write books in english language, even though the language of writing is not ours, but the work is attributed to the Nigerian authors. The same goes for the authors of nsibidi writings on the grave stones who were Igbo slaves, not ejagham slaves, even though ejaghams invented the nsibidi writing system.

Are you this slow?

You are the retard here. Idiot. angry

You want us to believe that the 'Ibos' made those markings because you were there. I have provided evidence that the markings were considered as made by Ejagham slaves, but no, you people must claim everything.

I have provided a link disputing your claim you liar. Those markings were developed by the Ejagham and made by Ejagham slaves. Read the link below. Ode.

http://ugrrquilt.hartcottagequilts.com/woods

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by PPAngel(f): 9:49pm On May 03, 2015
Unlike the sophisticated slaves who are destined to remain and die in slavery

babyosisi:
On the historical ibo landing in South Carolina

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_Landing

No be today the Igbo resistance to oppression start
No wonder our fellow countrymen don't understand us and can never
We were born an independent people
God created is with an independent spirit
That's why you can never tell us what to do and how to do it and expect us to keep silent when it doesn't feel right to us
You will die trying

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 9:49pm On May 03, 2015
Now they will claim the US now.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by tzoracle: 9:49pm On May 03, 2015
ezeagu:

I could have figured you're child. Go to bed. Commenting is not an obligation.

At my age were u as socially conscious ??
Ps ur the one who is a child
I made my comment,its my right to air my thoughts why then did you quote me
Child ko motherless babies ni
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by tzoracle: 9:51pm On May 03, 2015
Waspy:
Are you really Ibo.... If truly, you're one of una kind

Bruv I'm nt ibo I'm IGBO,and calling a spade a spade is the way forward for nigeria
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 9:53pm On May 03, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

That doesn't mean that Igbos were not exported to the carribbean. Recently,someone from the caribbean posted a carribbean-Igbo song and asked Igbo people to look into it.

Did I say Igbo people were not exported to the Caribbean?My response was to an assertion that Caribbean folks speak Igbo,study the history and practice the culture which is false.We do not speak Igbo but Creole besides standard English which is varied amongst the different islands giving way to Trinidad Creole,Jamaican Creole,Bajan Creole etc.Each one of these creole languages have words that reflect the diverse origin of the people.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by bigfrancis21: 9:53pm On May 03, 2015
TheReborn:

You are the retard here. Idiot. angry

You want to discount the white man's theory that it was the Ejagham slaves responsible for the markings, but will accept the same white man's assertion that it was the Ibos. You people claim everything.

Where did I ever discredit the ejaghams? Right from my first post i have kept mentioning it that the ejaghams are the inventors of nsibidi but the actual writers of nsibidi on the grave stones are the igbos of southern igboland who adopted this system of writing from the ejaghams.

Your problem is your failed inability to see beyond your perceived 'igbo phobia' and your phobia that 'igbos have taken over nsibidi'. If you don't want Igbos to write in nsibidi, and want it to be exclusively yours, then it makes no sense that youu speak and write another person's language - English language.

Following your line of reasoning, do not feel angry when an english man from britan lays claim over this particular post of yours in english or your undergraduate research in english work simply because you wrote it in his native language which he invented, therefore making you the thief here.

Bunch of people who lack proper reasoning.

8 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by ezeagu(m): 9:54pm On May 03, 2015
tzoracle:

At my age were u as socially conscious ??
Ps ur the one who is a child
I made my comment,its my right to air my thoughts why then did you quote me
Child ko motherless babies ni

So in your mind it's socially conscious to talk down to someone who posts something that's potentially educative because you want to impress others and show that you're what? More Nigerian than everyone else?

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by TheReborn(f): 9:54pm On May 03, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Where did I ever discedit the ejjaghams? Right from my first post i have kept mentioning it that the ejaghams are the inventors of nsibidi but the actual writers of nsibidi on the grave stones are the igbos of southern igboland who adopted this system of writing from the ejaghams.

Your problem is your failed inability to see beyond your perceived 'igbo phobia' and your phobia that 'igbos have taken over nsibidi'. If you don't want Igbos to write in nsibidi, and want it to be exclusively youurs, then it makes no sense that youu speak and write another person's language - English language.

And this link http://ugrrquilt.hartcottagequilts.com/woods proves you are a liar.

Yes we borrow languages, but I won't go as far as claiming that the engravings made by the originators of my borrowed language were done by members of my tribe or country. It smacks of mischief.

Besides the title of your thread is misleading. If you believe the writing to be from the Ejagham tribe and 'written by the Ibos', the title of this thread should have been 'Ejagham Ideograms made by Ibo slaves in....' but instead we got 'Igbo ideograms...'

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Ihuomadinihu: 9:55pm On May 03, 2015
scholes0:

keep saying that to yourself while quoting ZERO references.....
Am saying that to you! Is so hard for you to believe what experts have said times without number.
Nsibidi? Yes,Ejaghams were the originators of Nsibidi which was borrowed by other ethnic groups. Have you asked yourself why Igbos were specifically exported to plantations in Southern America. That would explain why the nsibidi stuff was done by Igbo slaves.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by LajaLaba: 9:56pm On May 03, 2015
PPAngel:

You are jealous and envious like every yoruba I know
Envious of what?u are one of the most hateful personality on this forum undecided say hi to that witch Babyosisi

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by tzoracle: 9:57pm On May 03, 2015
ezeagu:

So in your mind it's socially conscious to talk down to someone who posts something that's potentially educative because you want to impress others and show that you're what? More Nigerian than everyone else?

I knew u would quote me again
'Grown up'
Tsk tsk
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by ezeagu(m): 9:59pm On May 03, 2015
quimicababes:

I have been reading nairaland threads and it is silly how both Yorubas and Igbos talk about the Caribbean but how many of you all have been there or even lived there for a number of years? We use the term Obeah in Trinidad also...it is not unique to Jamaica or Barbados.Caribbean cultures are very similar in the English speaking Caribbean countries like Jamaica,Trinidad and Tobago,St Kitts and Nevis,Grenada etc.

Jamaica like Trinidad received East Indians and like us they have major East Indian influence but moreso us as more than 30% of our population is East Indians.The point I was glaring at is even if Barbados is known as Igbo...the average Caribbean folk does not care about these respective tribes.Our culture is not merely Igbo or Yoruba because we have influences from several different African ethnic groups which is further diluted by Chinese,Indian and European influences.

For those who care about knowing more about African culture they go the Yoruba route or Ghanaian because we are more exposed to it despite meeting more Igbo Nigerians.

I know there are Indians in Trinidad, but that's besides the point. My point was that Trinidad is unique becasue they received Yoruba indetured servants more recently which meant that they could retain Yoruba culture, just like Ibibio and Efik recaptured peoples (when slavery was abolished) were able to retain Abakua in Cuba. The main shamanism in Jamaica and Barbados, specifically, is Obeah. I don't know of any other form of shamanism apart from Myal which is extinct. And African culture is vastly more significant to the Caribbean islands than Chinese culture, Indian culture is significant to Trinidad and Guyana.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by bigfrancis21: 10:00pm On May 03, 2015
scholes0:

Show me.
I wouldnt want to say you are wrong for now since we are talking about an area where we are all learning here.
but since there were more Bantu and Mande slaves than Igbos in British NA, then I wonder how true that assessment is .

I don't want to post it here, for it would lack substance and appreciation. I will open a separate thread for that and will tag you in that post. The website is saved under my bookmarks and I just looked over it few minutes ago. The evidence is there.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 10:01pm On May 03, 2015
tyrannysucks:
Silly Igbos, you said? Will you get banned?

never said anything wrong, tell ur people to respect others culture. stop telling other tribe they re lazy, stop telling others u own there land.

so peace can reign, u said people hate Igbos , its a lie, nobody 8 u guys, all my besties re Igbo, stop telling people dey re nobody, stop forming lord , stop telling us SS people we re lazy. or SS belongs to u.

with tat I bet u , there will b peace, and love among d SS tribe and other Nigerians toward ur ibos , truth is bitter bt let me tell u d truth.

God bless u, God bless Me. God bless SS

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi Pays Wuriaola's Dowry; New Wife Steps Out In Royal Wedding Outfit / 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria / 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.