Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,577 members, 7,823,510 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:08 AM

A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (55913 Views)

Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken / Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by opeaceo: 8:30am On May 08, 2015
chukxie:

I rep Ekpon ooooo. Eko, Idumodin Quarters. My maternal family's house is next to Eko Primary School. Aluaaaaa!
Haan that's where my mum came from (Idumeko), but I rep Ogbe.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by ChristyG(f): 8:30am On May 08, 2015
macof:
grin grin grin
go ask Omo'n'oba if he ever enslaved any yoruba. .am sure the royal family know their slaves very well better than you

Having Bini descendants in Lagos doesn't = Awori enslavement by Bini
these people are d..u.m.b as Bleep.where in lagos has any bini influnce that would make lagos a bini land.even the oba would dare not say that.they dont even know that the oba of lagos is not the only royal in lagos.they are some who even own lands than the oba

2 Likes

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by eghuan1(m): 9:17am On May 08, 2015
[quote author=chukxie post=33524527]

Good one, bro! You nailed it squarely! Ekpon language is a derivative of Ika language which is spoken in Agbor, Igbanke, Olijie etc. Although there are some elements of Esan words in it obviously because Ekpon stands right at the boundary between the Ika speaking communities aforementioned and the Esan speaking communities of Ewosa, Ewohimi, Ogwa etc. Ekpon language is to a great extent an Ika language and not an Esan language. By the way I'm from Ekpon. I rep Eko, Idumodin Quarters. [/quote

seriously I grew up in eko too though am from idumuje, maybe u may know my bro eguabor or festurs, he more popular than me. would love to meet more ekpon people
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by chukxie(m): 10:22am On May 08, 2015
opeaceo:

Haan that's where my mum came from (Idumeko), but I rep Ogbe.

I'm happy to meet my people here ooo. I used to have some friends from Ogbe years back.. Make we dey relate. I'm very glad to meet u here.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by chukxie(m): 10:24am On May 08, 2015
[quote author=eghuan1 post=33532404][/quote]

Yes ooooo. See my people here. I'm glad to meet you here my brother. I be real Eko breed, maternity hospital born. Make we dey relate here. Aluaaaaa!
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 11:19am On May 08, 2015
[quote author=eghuan1 post=33532404][/quote]

There's a place in Ekpon called Idumuje?
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by eghuan1(m): 11:57am On May 08, 2015
chukxie:

Yes ooooo. See my people here. I'm glad to meet you here my brother. I be real Eko breed, maternity hospital born. Make we dey relate here. Aluaaaaa!

whatsApp 08026102558 i'll b waiting
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by eghuan1(m): 12:05pm On May 08, 2015
Radoillo:

There's a place in Ekpon called Idumuje?

yes there is a place like that. its where the maternity is close to the incumbent kings palace
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 12:17pm On May 08, 2015
eghuan1:

yes there is a place like that. its where the maternity is close to the incumbent kings palace

That is really interesting.

Do you people have any traditions of kinship/relation with Idumuje-Uno and Idumuje-Ugboko in Delta State?

Also do you know if the word 'Idumuje' has a meaning either in the Ekpon dialect or in Esan?
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by somegirl1: 12:23pm On May 08, 2015
How could you miss Ikwerre
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by somegirl1: 12:50pm On May 08, 2015
mulattoclaro:
the only thing you guys have achieved is being losers. I'm not surprised it's coming from someone from a tribe of thieves.

Prostitutes versus thieves.

4 Likes

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by mulattoclaro(m): 12:53pm On May 08, 2015
somegirl1:

Prostitutes versus thieves.
you guys have even beaten edo girls to it. Useless yeebos

1 Like

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by somegirl1: 1:02pm On May 08, 2015
mulattoclaro:
you guys have even beaten edo girls to it. Useless yeebos

Your record is impossible to beat even if we tried.

P.s you do realize that mulatto is a derogatory term, don't you?

4 Likes

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by eghuan1(m): 1:16pm On May 08, 2015
Radoillo:

That is really interesting.

Do you people have any traditions of kinship/relation with Idumuje-Uno and Idumuje-Ugboko in Delta State?

Also do you know if the word 'Idumuje' has a meaning either in the Ekpon dialect or in Esan?

I don't really know what it means, but it might mean king's quarters and am certain it has no connection with your mentioned places
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 1:28pm On May 08, 2015
eghuan1:

I don't really know what it means, but it might mean king's quarters and am certain it has no connection with your mentioned places

Oh thanks.

I also figured it meant King's Village or something like that. But I wanted to be sure by asking someone I presumed was familiar with Edoid speech. Thanks.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by MightySparrow: 1:52pm On May 08, 2015
This is the biblical Babel. How big is Edo with all these dialects?
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by bigfrancis21: 2:34pm On May 08, 2015
NigerMan1:

It's mighty difficult to qualify the Ikwerres as Igbo as you would people from Awka. The Ikwerre people of today have mixed ancestry, reason many of them hate being called Igbo.

Not really. The ikwerres are ethnically Igbo but only deny being Igbo for political reasons.

4 Likes

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by opeaceo: 4:02pm On May 08, 2015
chukxie:

I'm happy to meet my people here ooo. I used to have some friends from Ogbe years.. Make we dey relate. I'm very glad to meet u here.
Same here.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by chukxie(m): 4:29pm On May 08, 2015
opeaceo:

Same here.

Glad to hear from you again, my sister. I just finished having a chat on Whatsapp with Eghuan1. We could chat as well If you're on Whatsapp. Good night from here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by JuanDeDios: 8:36pm On May 08, 2015
phyllosilicate:
I find it insulting for you to insinuate, I speak of what I am ignorant of. I am from edo state, grew up in Benin and know our history.

There is a difference between Language and dialect. For example, yoruba is a language and there are many Yoruba dialect. Edo is the language of Benin people. Estako, Ishan, Urobo, Isoko, Akoko Edo are not dialects of Edo language. if an Akoko Edo man speaks, a Benin man would not understand anything.
I see you really have it all confused and need some help sorting it out. Here -

The "Edo languages" or "Edo group of languages" or "Edoid languages" are Bini, Esan, Afemai, Ora, Urhobo, Isoko, etc. They are not "dialects of Edo language"; they are Edo languages. Now, let's help you understand this.

The above listed languages are not dialects of Bini. They are languages. I think your confusion arises from failure to appreciate the nuances of words and thus understand the proper USES of the word "Edo". To you, Edo = Bini. In a context, it does. But in the context it is used here, it does not. What I am trying to explain to you is: Edo languages does not mean dialects of Bini. An "Edo language" is simply any language that belongs to the same linguistic group (or subgroup, if you like) as Bini.

If you still don't get it, google "language group" or "language family". That should help further.

1 Like

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by phyllosilicate(m): 9:04pm On May 08, 2015
JuanDeDios:

I see you really have it all confused and need some help sorting it out. Here -

The "Edo languages" or "Edo group of languages" or "Edoid languages" are Bini, Esan, Afemai, Ora, Urhobo, Isoko, etc. They are not "dialects of Edo language"; they are Edo languages. Now, let's help you understand this.

The above listed languages are not dialects of Bini. They are languages. I think your confusion arises from failure to appreciate the nuances of words and thus understand the proper USES of the word "Edo". To you, Edo = Bini. In a context, it does. But in the context it is used here, it does not. What I am trying to explain to you is: Edo languages does not mean dialects of Bini. An "Edo language" is simply any language that belongs to the same linguistic group (or subgroup, if you like) as Bini.

If you still don't get it, google "language group" or "language family". That should help further.

Okay, I get you. I only disagree with the op used of the word dialects to classify them.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 9:21pm On May 08, 2015
Gejpresident:
God bless edo state

bini kingdom one of d greatest kingdom in Africa

we conquered Yoruba land their first king oduduwa is from benin

oba of benin rule Lagos and name it eko

TELL ME WHY THE HEADS OF DEAD BENIN OBAS USED TO BE TAKEN TO ILE-IFE FOR BURIAL BEFORE IT WAS STOPPED IN THE LATE 20TH CENTURY.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by scholes0(m): 10:06pm On May 08, 2015
walexy30:

TELL ME WHY THE HEADS OF DEAD BENIN OBAS USED TO BE TAKEN TO ILE-IFE FOR BURIAL BEFORE IT WAS STOPPED IN THE LATE 20TH CENTURY.

Benin kings of the Post Ogiso Era, are all from Ile-ife.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 10:12pm On May 08, 2015
scholes0:

Benin kings of the Post Ogiso Era, are all from Ile-ife.

THANK YOU SCHOLE!

1 Like

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Aizenosa(m): 4:40pm On May 09, 2015
ElekeNtioba:
Can any bini historian tell me hw their ancient kingdom managed to dominate other tribes of southern Nigeria and ended up with a small population compared to others??

Was there an ethnic cleansing or sumtin??

I'm just curious

It's because the bini language was like d supreme language of dat era it wasn't taught to the conquered lands of d binis so only binis knew d language and this was used to identify dem funny enough dere are small parchment of places outside Nigeria dat speak real bini language

2 Likes

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Mapletraks: 1:08am On May 16, 2015
mulattoclaro:
1. Aduge is an Edo dialect spoken by the people of Kwara State, Oyi LGA.

2. Degema is an Edo dialect spoken by the people of Rivers State, Degema LGA. Dialects are Atala, Usokun (Kala Degema).

3. Engenni (Ngene, Egene) [ENN]. Rivers State, Ahoada and Yenagoa LGAs. Dialects are Ediro, Inedua, Ogua.

4. Epic (Epie-Atissa) [EPI]. Rivers State, Yenagoa LGA.

5. Isoko, Delta State, Isoko and Ndokwa LGAs.

6. Iyayu (Idoani) [IYA], Ondo State. One quarter of Idoani town speak this dialect. The people are sometimes called "Idoani ".

7. Okpe (Oke), Delta State, Okpe LGA. Distinct from Okpe-Idesa-Oloma-Akuku which is Northwestern Edoid.

8. Okpe-Idesa-Oloma-Akuku [OKP], Edo State, Akoko-Edo LGA. Dialects are Okpe, Idesa, Oloma, Akuku. Oloma may be a separate language different from Okpe which is Southwestern Edoid.

9. Uhami (Ishua) [UHA], Ondo State, Akoko South and Owo LGAs.

10. Ososo [OSS], Edo State, Akoko-Edo LGA.

11. Sasaru-Enwa Igwe (Sasaru) [SSC]. Edo State, Akoko-Edo LGA.

12. Urhobo. Delta State, Ethiope and Ughelli LGAs. Dialects are Agbarho, Isoko.

13. Uvbie (Evhro, Uvhria, Uvwie, Evrie, Effurun). Delta State, Ethiope LGA. Related to Urhobo.

14. Ukue-Ehuen (Ekpenmi, Ekpenmen, Epinmi) [UKU] including Ehuen, Ukue, Ondo State, Akoko South LGA. Dialects are Ukue, Ehuen. Crozier and Blench 1992 treat Ukue and Ehuen as separate languages.

15. Uneme (Uleme, Ileme, Ineme) [UNE]. Edo State, Etsako, Agbazilo and Akoko-Edo LGAs. Ghotuo-Uneme-Yekhee.

16. Yekhee (Etsako, Etsakor, Afenmai, Iyekhee, Kukuruku). Edo State, Etsako, Agbako and Okpebho LGAs. Ghotuo-Uneme-Yekhee. Dialects are Auchi, Uzairue, South Ibie, Uwepa-Uwano (Weppa Wano), Avianwu (Fugar), Aviele, Ivhiadaobi.

17. Ikpeshi (Ikpeshe, Ekpeshe) [OKP]. Edo State, Etsako LGA.

18. Ghotuo (Otwa, Otuo) [AAA]. Edo State, Owan and Akoko-Edo LGAs.

19. Ivbie North-Okpela-Arhe [ATG]. Edo State, Etsako and Akoko-Edo LGAs. Dialects are Ivbie North (Ibie North), Okpela (Okpella, Ukpella, Upella), Arhe (Atte, Ate).

20. Esan (Ishan, Isa, Esan, Anwain) [ISH]. Edo State, Agbazilo, Okpebho LGAs. Dialects are Ekpon, Igueben. Many dialects are apparently inherently intelligible.

21. Edo (Bini, Benin, Addo, Oviedo, Ovioba), Ovia, Oredo and Orhionmwon LGAs.

22. Emai-Iuleha-Ora (Kunibum, Ivbiosakon) [EMA]. Dialects are Ivhimion, Emai, Iuleha, Ora, Edo State.

23. Eruwa (Erohwa, Erakwa, Arokwa) [ERH]. Delta State, Isoko LGA. Related to Urhobo. Most speakers are bilingual in Central Isoko which is replacing Eruwa. Not intelligible with any Isoko dialect.

24. Okpamheri (Opameri) [OPA]. Edo State, Akoko-Edo LGA. Dialects are Okulosho (Okurosho), Western Okpamheri, Emhalhe (Emarle, Somorika, Semolika). Sub dialects of Okulosho are Ojirami (Eekunu), Dagbala (Dangbala), Oja (Oza), Makeke (Uuma), Oma. Sub dialects of Western Okpamheri are Ekpe, Bekuma, Lankpese (Lampese, Lankpeshi), Ibillo (Ibilo) Imoga (Imorga, Uma), Eko (Ekon, Ekor), Ikaran-Oke (Ikeram-Oke), Ebunn-Oke, Ikaran-Ele (Ikeran-Ile), Ebunn-Ugbo, Ikpesa, Igbo-Ola-Sale (Ugboshi-Oke), Onumo (Onumu), Ogugu, Ogbe-Sale, Ogbe-Oke. Emhalhe may be a separate language.

^^^^^
@mullatoclaro

That is a very interesting post you
made there. You didn't indicate your
SOURCE of information or did you simply
post this offhand?

There is a place known as Ogbaland in Rivers State whose king goes by the title of Oba and
their ancestry is Edoid just like the Akure-Edos
who occupy a quarter in Akure. Owo also has
a strong link with the Edos because over 10 years ago, I read about a man who had the
title of Odion of Owo.

Ado-Ekiti also serve as a war camp for the
Bini army. Ado is the Yoruba pronounciation
for Edo as used in Ado-Ekiti and Edo ancestry no
doubt runs through especially Western and Southern Yorubaland as a result of the presence
of Yorubanised Edos[mixed Edo-Yoruba].

2 Likes

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by mulattoclaro(m): 7:44am On May 16, 2015
Mapletraks:

^^^^^
@mullatoclaro

That is a very interesting post you
made there. You didn't indicate your
SOURCE of information or did you simply
post this offhand?

There is a place known as Ogbaland in Rivers State whose king goes by the title of Oba and
their ancestry is Edoid just like the Akure-Edos
who occupy a quarter in Akure. Owo also has
a strong link with the Edos because over 10 years ago, I read about a man who had the
title of Odion of Owo.

Ado-Ekiti also serve as a war camp for the
Bini army. Ado is the Yoruba pronounciation
for Edo as used in Ado-Ekiti and Edo ancestry no
doubt runs through especially Western and Southern Yorubaland as a result of the presence
of Yorubanised Edos[mixed Edo-Yoruba].

wow. I never knew the influence of the edos spread to even ekiti. Thanks for the info bro.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by handie(m): 8:20pm On Jul 01, 2015
jeremiah505:
Na we be number 10... Team #Ososo...
ososo uji? Oya come greet the young olososo
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by handie(m): 8:21pm On Jul 01, 2015
saymax:
Nice one op! I represent Ososo!
oya Kase Ka chi omini odafe (omini olososo)
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by handie(m): 8:24pm On Jul 01, 2015
BiniShrine:
Great!!! An also form 0soso(Okhe). Osland is d best!!
My osland brother. Behki ufui ososo o

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

"Three Wise Men" Storm Lagos Streets (Photos) / A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland / Alaafin Of Oyo's Wife Dresses In School Uniform To Visit Former Secondary School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.