Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,824 members, 7,828,018 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:27 PM

A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (55990 Views)

Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken / Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by saymax(f): 9:31am On Jul 03, 2015
handie:
oya Kase Ka chi omini odafe (omini olososo)

grin. E e o! Nwabode lerama! Ogbe ke? A gwon o, omini Obaitan!

1 Like

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by handie(m): 10:43am On Jul 03, 2015
saymax:

grin. E e o! Nwabode lerama! Ogbe ke? A gwon o, omini Obaitan!
*smiles* orjor me, ogbe oso pe o
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by BiniShrine(m): 5:56pm On Jul 05, 2015
Hope you are good bro. Nice knowing you. Cheers. Don't knw hw to speak ooo.
handie:
My osland brother. Behki ufui ososo o
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by handie(m): 5:59pm On Jul 05, 2015
BiniShrine:
Hope you are good bro. Nice knowing you. Cheers. Don't knw hw to speak ooo.
You don't know how to speak? Well, u just got urself a tutor.... Hope you'll be in town for d next carnival
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by BiniShrine(m): 6:14pm On Jul 05, 2015
Will be by His grace. Send me a PM wit ur bb pin den. Awesome
handie:
You don't know how to speak? Well, u just got urself a tutor.... Hope you'll be in town for d next carnival
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by handie(m): 6:22pm On Jul 05, 2015
BiniShrine:
Will be by His grace. Send me a PM wit ur bb pin den. Awesome
My whatsapp contact is on my signature. Feel free to message me anytime

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by donphilopus: 3:27pm On Nov 29, 2015
Nowenuse:

Pls, those saying Igarra is an edo language, it's not true.
Igarra (Etuno) is a dialect of the Ebira language of Kogi state. Ebiras have their origin in Kwararafa kingdom in present day Taraba state.

Wetin this one dey yearn? No worry, Igarra na Accra language. Iranu!
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by lawani: 12:53pm On Dec 06, 2015
While it is true that some languages are haphazardly grouped as edoid, the fact is that languages like Esan, Afemai and etc are not more related to Benin language than Yoruba. Can anyone show us how they are? And surprisingly Igbo seem to be more related to Yoruba than the neighbouring Afemai, Egun and Benin though it is not a Yoruboid language, there is a need for linguists to do a lot of comparative studies. So in a way, if Afemai, Esan, Urhobo are Edoid langiages, then Akoko and Yoruba should be too. The broad classification is YEAI Yoruboid Edo Akoko and Igbo which are seen as same family. The Yoruboid group of Yoruba, Igala, Itsekiri have only dialectical differences and are almost mutually intelligible, same with the Igboid group, the Edoid are totally different languages that are not mutually intelligible, the Akokoid too are loosely connected. How it came to be like that is hard to understand. We still have other lingos on the fringes like the Nupoid group including Tapa and Ebira who share certain characteristics with the YEAI and etc. There is a scholarly work by Prof Bolaji Aremo that dissects the common origin of Yoruba and Igbo, there should be such works for all pairs of these lingos. I would like to see one that compares Yoruba and Benin. My hunch says Yoruba and Igbos were thesame stock recently than Yoruba and Benin were same. Where did the Egun come from? Maybe from South America as the language is too diffferent. I will opine that the ancestors of the Yoruba and Igbo were the main people in Southern Nigeria a few thousand years back.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by bellassimo: 12:47am On Aug 30, 2016
Urhobo,ijaw,itsekiri etc are from.delta state not Edo.
Edo languages are
1)Bini

2) ishan- ebelle,ubiaja,uromi
3)Etsako - auchi , ibie, jattau,uzairue,warake,fugar bode,ekperi,okpella,ikhieve, these and more are different dialects of estako
4)owan-ora,otuo,ikhin,
5)Akokoedo-ineme,agor,akoko,yoruba
These are the main languages/dialect spoken in edo state
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Jimhickey: 9:51pm On Dec 30, 2020
I've been trying to learn Afemai now for a long time but to no avail, I believe it is because I don't have people around me to interact with in the language. I need an Afemai friend. If you understand the language or you know someone who does kindly reply ����
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Procashtips(m): 4:48pm On Apr 04
ElekeNtioba:
Can any bini historian tell me hw their ancient kingdom managed to dominate other tribes of southern Nigeria and ended up with a small population compared to others??

Was there an ethnic cleansing or sumtin??

I'm just curious

What's the population of UK, Rome/Italy being formal world powers/Colonial masters?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

"Three Wise Men" Storm Lagos Streets (Photos) / Alaafin Of Oyo's Wife Dresses In School Uniform To Visit Former Secondary School / A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.