Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,123 members, 7,818,368 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:44 PM

EFCC Pays N3m To Victim Of Illegal Detention - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EFCC Pays N3m To Victim Of Illegal Detention (1953 Views)

Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala / How Dasuki Aided Importation Of Illegal Arms Into Nigeria – NATFORCE / Udoedehe: Akpabio Gave Us N3m “transport Money” Each After PDP Caucus Meetings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

EFCC Pays N3m To Victim Of Illegal Detention by earTHMama: 5:45pm On Feb 06, 2009
EFCC pays N3m to victim of illegal detention

LAGOS—The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has reiterated its determination to work within the ambit of the law in its fight against all forms of economic crimes and corruption in the country.

The assurance was given yesterday by the Chairman of the Commission, Mrs. Farida Waziri, when she presented a cheque of N3 million to Dr. Sylvester Odigie, a Lagos-based businessman as damages for his wrongful detention by the Commission between May 24 and July 6, 2006.

The presentation of the cheque was in obedience to an Abuja High Court order. While presenting the letter of instruction to Odigie, the EFCC boss stressed that the gesture was in fulfilment of the Commission’s resolve to respect court judgments and operate within the ambit of the law in its fight against corruption.

“As a law enforcement agency, we have chosen to abide by this court judgment to further buttress our determination to always work within the ambit of the rule of law”, she said, adding that the rule of law policy as exemplified by the Alhaji Umaru Yar’Adua’s administration has given beauty to the practice of democracy in the country.                                             

The EFCC chair assured Nigerians that as a law enforcement agency, the Commission was determined not to repeat the mistakes of the past. “We are committed to upholding and protecting the laws we are established to enforce”, she said.

Reacting to the development, Dr Odigie, who said he was wrongfully detained by the EFCC between May and July 2006 over some land transactions, expressed gratitude to the chairperson of the commission, for boldly upholding the court order.

“This is a special day. I never knew this day will ever come in Nigeria. It is here, and I want the world to know that this is a new era altogether, an era of rule of law.” 

He said Mrs. Waziri was a bold woman, who must be supported by Nigerians. “She had an easy way out and could as well say the incident did not happen at her own time”, he said.

Dr. Odigie also thanked the Commission, the judiciary and the government saying that his prayer was for God to grant the judiciary the courage and wisdom to do the right thing, as it is the last hope of the common Nigerian.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/feb/6/318.html
Re: EFCC Pays N3m To Victim Of Illegal Detention by Nobody: 9:56am On Feb 12, 2009
Lucky Dr. Odigie. grin grin
Re: EFCC Pays N3m To Victim Of Illegal Detention by Seun(m): 11:02am On Feb 12, 2009
Good for him. Ironically,
the people most likely to get compensation are
people who are rich enough to hire good lawyers. cheesy
Re: EFCC Pays N3m To Victim Of Illegal Detention by showbobo(m): 11:12am On Feb 12, 2009
Seun:

people who are rich enough to hire good lawyers. cheesy
WORD!!!
Re: EFCC Pays N3m To Victim Of Illegal Detention by muhsin(m): 12:16pm On Feb 12, 2009
Wish I was him. Lucky dude.
Re: EFCC Pays N3m To Victim Of Illegal Detention by kellygirl(f): 12:30pm On Feb 12, 2009
shocked shocked 3million dats alot of money.
Re: EFCC Pays N3m To Victim Of Illegal Detention by skyrocker(f): 12:38pm On Feb 12, 2009
Good action taken by the EFCC,though they are trying to save face
Re: EFCC Pays N3m To Victim Of Illegal Detention by amaikama(m): 1:40pm On Feb 12, 2009
3 million or 3 billion shocked if its 3 million its an insult to the man to collect such a peanut for an organisation claiming to be fighting corruption when in fact they are more corrupt than corruption. but if its 3 billion naira, yeah! he surely desearve the compensation.
Re: EFCC Pays N3m To Victim Of Illegal Detention by superboi(m): 1:48pm On Feb 12, 2009
where efcc get the money from? do they have compensation monet in their budget?
Re: EFCC Pays N3m To Victim Of Illegal Detention by texazzpete(m): 2:37pm On Feb 12, 2009
Another 'excellent' act from Ribadu's EFCC.
Re: EFCC Pays N3m To Victim Of Illegal Detention by infiniti(f): 6:16pm On Feb 12, 2009
if the man is really a business man, of cos he would have made much more than 3m during the period he was detained. so that money is an insult on his personality.

i am surprised he his even thanking them. hissing embarassed embarassed embarassed shocked shocked shocked angry angry angry

wateva!
Re: EFCC Pays N3m To Victim Of Illegal Detention by cvibe: 6:54pm On Feb 12, 2009
So EFCC is still existing?
I haven't heard of any high profile arrests since Ribadu.
Re: EFCC Pays N3m To Victim Of Illegal Detention by Raymond88(m): 7:15pm On Feb 12, 2009
Hey i was once detained by two female officers! where's my money?! angry grin
Re: EFCC Pays N3m To Victim Of Illegal Detention by neltzlink: 2:09am On Feb 13, 2009
Dat is nice.
Re: EFCC Pays N3m To Victim Of Illegal Detention by Nobody: 12:41pm On Feb 13, 2009
@ Topic. Holy macaroni, EFCC please come and arrest me O!!!
Re: EFCC Pays N3m To Victim Of Illegal Detention by Nobody: 12:44pm On Feb 13, 2009
Seun:

people who are rich enough to hire good lawyers
. cheesy

Word
Re: EFCC Pays N3m To Victim Of Illegal Detention by PurestBoy(m): 2:00pm On Feb 14, 2009
Raymond88:

Hey i was once detained by two female officers! where's my money?! angry grin

Walahi na 3naira u go collect after you're being rejailed
Re: EFCC Pays N3m To Victim Of Illegal Detention by spoilt(f): 2:34am On Feb 22, 2009
muhsin:

Wish I was him. Lucky dude.

Try languishing in detention for a day.
Re: EFCC Pays N3m To Victim Of Illegal Detention by jamace(m): 8:26am On Feb 22, 2009
And how much of our looted monies have they recovered? angry

(1) (Reply)

Senate Approves Dantosho As Chief Judge Of Federal High Court / Alledged World Bank Document Names Top Nigerians And Their Loot In Foreign Banks / The Twenty Poorest Nations In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.