Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,183 members, 7,818,585 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:19 PM

Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. (19545 Views)

Professor Of Philosophy Laid-in-state In His House / Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. / Photo : Could This Be The Next Chike Obi, Professor Of Maths? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by nationwide1(m): 11:42pm On May 09, 2015
captainBIAFRA:
[s][/s]

Yea, even a rabbied dog gets a medal cool
Speak good of this intelligent man honour. Don't think or speak hate bro. What if a foreigner is reading your post? He would conclude that we don't respect / honour who we have.

1 Like

Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by aderonila18: 11:43pm On May 09, 2015
That's a great honor , hope he wins but either way being nominated is a big achievement. Wole Soyinka is always doing Nigeria proud
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by aderonila18: 11:45pm On May 09, 2015
nationwide1:
Speak good of this intelligent man honour. Don't think or speak hate bro. What if a foreigner is reading your post? He would conclude that we don't respect / honour who we have.

I don't blame him, after all how will he value what he has never had. I am sure he has never been short listed for any award in his life lipsrsealed
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by Nobody: 11:50pm On May 09, 2015
ayindejimmy:

What do you know about the genre of poetry when all you do is peddle drugs and sell fake electronics? So the Prof. Should start doing same... Init?
I'll pardon your parochialism but not your foolhardliness

Omokiniovo a beg pass me tat dictionary make I look d meaning of foolhardliness and parochialism … chai there is God ooo

If Yoruba man succeed IGBo go jealous, If Igbo man succeed Yoruba go jealous..

Una dey fall my hand, Thank God am nt from SW or SE cous dey lack Reasoning, jst imagine me go dey jealous my Bayelsa brother... no nah, Luv SS matured minds
..if this country separate I can never b in a country with either Yoruba or Igbo with d attitude both re displaying nw, no no, so so bad

abeg WOLe Soyinka nor mind people u too know book, we 4 SS support ur ministry... to us u re a NIgerian 1st b4 Yoruba.... GOD Bless u

I

2 Likes

Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by grandstar(m): 11:53pm On May 09, 2015
africanusvu:
He hav realy lost aany single respect igbos av for him from dat day

You hate him because someone slandered him! Well, King Solomon said that the words of a slanderer are sweet and are quickly believed. How so true!

1 Like

Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by Sulaimon01(m): 11:53pm On May 09, 2015
This is a Yoruba man now o, no one's saying anything o! Kudos jhoo Baba! [b]This is a Yoruba man now o, no one's saying anything o! Kudos jhoo Baba! [/b]This is a Yoruba man now o, no one's saying anything o! Kudos jhoo Baba!
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by InvertedHammer: 12:00am On May 10, 2015
africanusvu:
What is the economic value of poetry,only the. Weakest brains study poetry in any nig institution
/
Correctly noted.

Even Shakespeare is only good for High School recitation.

Wole Soyinka is a very intelligent man who wasted his brain studying something that is obscure. Had it been he is a lawyer or something productive, even the sky will not be his limit.

Poetry is of no economic value. It smacks of intellectual laziness to sit all day to find English words in the dictionary that rhyme with one another. Can he teach Poetry in his native language? No!
/

2 Likes

Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by TheEqualizer: 12:27am On May 10, 2015
Full list of nominees:

Simon Armitage
A E Stallings
Ian Gregson
Seán Haldane
Wole Soyinka

He should win it.
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by Nobody: 1:08am On May 10, 2015
snowDiva:
Good tidings everywhere I look...

Dark clouds over the horizon.. There is excess sunshine before a massive storm gathers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by Nobody: 1:11am On May 10, 2015
InvertedHammer:

/
Correctly noted.

Wole Soyinka is a very intelligent man who wasted his brain studying something that is obscure. Had it been he is a lawyer or something productive, even the sky will not be his limit.

Poetry is of no economic value. It smacks of intellectual laziness to sit all day to find English words in the dictionary that rhyme with one another. Can he teach Poetry in his native language? No!
/

That is because there is a difference between creative minds and intelligent ones.. The most intelligent minds are spawned from the vastness of their creative consciousness. So poetry allows your mind to appreciate the vast nuances of life that intelligence cannot do on its own.
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by Leez(m): 1:28am On May 10, 2015
omenka:
Errrrm, excuse me, but what has that got to do with the subject matter

Ok, let me guess, if I don't "hate" Yorubas and everything about them then I can't be an Igbo man... I suppose that's what you are saying, no?
No but you're a clown tbh
Drop dt moniker n join ur clique
Igbo4eva

1 Like

Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by Nobody: 1:40am On May 10, 2015
Prof Prof!
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by TEAMTWACI: 2:30am On May 10, 2015
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by InvertedHammer: 2:38am On May 10, 2015
voltron:

That is because there is a difference between creative minds and intelligent ones.. The most intelligent minds are spawned from the vastness of their creative consciousness. So poetry allows your mind to appreciate the vast nuances of life that intelligence cannot do on its own.
/
Any discipline that cannot be efficiently and effectively monetized is a waste of grey matter. Poetry is a pile of bullshit to keep idle minds engaged. It has no practical application in life which explains why it is not a discipline. It is more of a karaoke than intellectual stimulant.
\

2 Likes

Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by Nobody: 2:42am On May 10, 2015
InvertedHammer:

/
Ok. He won a Nobel laureate because he can string a few English words together.

For the love of Christ, can someone tell me what is important about Wole Soyinka?

How has this man contributed to humanity? None!!!
\

You too can string a few English words together why aren't you recognized in your street?

5 Likes

Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by Nobody: 2:48am On May 10, 2015
InvertedHammer:

/
Any discipline that cannot be efficiently and effectively monetized is a waste of grey matter. Poetry is a pile of bullshit to keep idle minds engaged. It has no practical application in life which explains why it is not a discipline. It is more of a verbal karaoke than intellectual stimulant.
\

I know, it's nothing like selling "market" at Alaba. what about music? Remember human beings had music and poetry before money was even created.
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by InvertedHammer: 2:49am On May 10, 2015
Aigbofa:

You too can string a few English words together why aren't you recognized in your street?
/

You still haven't told us what is extraordinary about Wole Soyinka other than his penchant to kowtow to the dictates of colonialism.

\

1 Like

Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by InvertedHammer: 2:52am On May 10, 2015
Aigbofa:

I know, it's nothing like selling "market" at Alaba. what about music? Remember human beings had music and poetry before money was even created.
/
The ones that make money from music are the artists not the professors in Music.

And since those who cannot do, teach...Wole fits the latter.

The only way he stays relevant is through occasional rant about Igbo people.

In other words, take out the Igbo people, he will be relegated to the dustbin of inanity

\

1 Like

Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by Nobody: 3:04am On May 10, 2015
InvertedHammer:

/
The ones that make money from music are the artists not the professors in Music.

And since those who cannot do, teach...Wole fits the latter.

The only way he stays relevant is through occasional rant about Igbo people.

In other words, take out the Igbo people, he will be relegated to the dustbin of inanity

\

Occasional rants about ibos? I guess Oxford will give him 12000 pounds a year to rant more about ibos.
One thing I find fascinating about ibos is how easily they lie.

1 Like

Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by Nobody: 3:21am On May 10, 2015
InvertedHammer:

/

You still haven't told us what is extraordinary about Wole Soyinka other than his penchant to kowtow to the dictates of colonialism.

\

Why don't you explain to us exactly what kow towing to the dictates of colonialism entails?
Perhaps running away and dying in the U.S is one them.
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by InvertedHammer: 3:28am On May 10, 2015
Aigbofa:

Occasional rants about ibos? I guess Oxford will give him 12000 pounds a year to rant more about ibos.
One thing I find fascinating about ibos is how easily they lie.
/
Occasionally some black folks are paid money to act "monkeys" in a movie.

Soyinka fits the profile. So..what's your point?

\

1 Like

Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by Nobody: 3:38am On May 10, 2015
InvertedHammer:

/
Occasionally some black folks are paid money to act "monkeys" in a movie.

Soyinka fits the profile. So..what's your point?

\

Quite often some play monkeys because it comes naturally to them like you are doing right now.
Soyinka is no longer in the league of people whose reputation you can tarnish.
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by Nobody: 4:10am On May 10, 2015
InvertedHammer:

/
Any discipline that cannot be efficiently and effectively monetized is a waste of grey matter. Poetry is a pile of bullshit to keep idle minds engaged. It has no practical application in life which explains why it is not a discipline. It is more of a karaoke than intellectual stimulant.
\

Not every venture is For-Profit.. I rest my case
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 4:21am On May 10, 2015
InvertedHammer:
/
This Oyibo people no go kill person.

Professor of Poetry. grin grin grin.

Might as well name him professor of poultry.

Soyinka..... no go find job.

\
Why the hate? From whatever angle you look at it, Wole Soyinka is a fulfilled man. He did not only get to the top of his career as a professor; he also won medals and laurels. He has groomed his type across the world. What have achieved?
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 4:24am On May 10, 2015
To be frank, this man, and recently, Muhammadu Buhari are the reason I'm proud to be a Nigerian.
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 4:46am On May 10, 2015
InvertedHammer:

/
Correctly noted.

/
You're just too ignorant. It's better you keep shut and people think you're ignorant than to speak and convince them that you really are. You don't choose a career just because it's lucrative. Your knowledge of certain relevant subjects does. You speak like children whom, when asked, would say they would want to be a lawyer, a doctor, an engineer, etc. But when the reality that, for example, you don't become a doctor just because you like saving lives, but good at chemistry, biology, physics, etc, start hitting them, they move elsewhere.
For your information Soyinka speaks Yoruba fluently and writes in it. He is a professor of Comparative Literature. Most of the professors in the humanies are good at their mothers' tongues. Chinua Achebe, professor of English, was very good at Igbo. He discovered that Dennis, who translated the Igbo Bible, Akukwo Nso made some mistakes (even the Yoruba version has some mistakes). I was watched a programme where Soyinka was being interviewed fore more than an hour in a Yoruba programme, he didn't utter any English word. He translated D.O. Fagunwa's epic book, "Ogboju Ode Ninu Igbo Irumole" into "Forest of Thousand Daemons".

3 Likes

Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by juman(m): 4:57am On May 10, 2015
Good
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by begwong: 5:28am On May 10, 2015
OP / MODS ,CORRECT THE TYPO ERROR "NOBLE" TO "NOBEL" AT THE HEADING OF YOUR POST
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by Jobneeded12: 5:54am On May 10, 2015
Congrats father of african arts and literature
No one has surpassed your achievement
Your a blessing to Nigeria
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by Nobody: 6:18am On May 10, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

You're just too ignorant. It's better you keep shut and people think you're ignorant than to speak and convince them that you really are. You don't choose a career just because it's lucrative. Your knowledge of certain relevant subjects does. You speak like children whom, when asked, would say they would want to be a lawyer, a doctor, an engineer, etc. But when the reality that, for example, you don't become a doctor just because you like saving lives, but good at chemistry, biology, physics, etc, start hitting them, they move elsewhere.
For your information Soyinka speaks Yoruba fluently and writes in it. He is a professor of Comparative Literature. Most of the professors in the humanies are good at their mothers' tongues. Chinua Achebe, professor of English, was very good at Igbo. He discovered that Dennis, who translated the Igbo Bible, Akukwo Nso made some mistakes (even the Yoruba version has some mistakes). I was watched a programme where Soyinka was being interviewed fore more than an hour in a Yoruba programme, he didn't utter any English word. He translated D.O. Fagunwa's epic book, "Ogboju Ode Ninu Igbo Irumole" into "Forest of Thousand Daemons".
He translated Igbo Olodumare too to 'In the forest of Olodumare'
I have all his books.
The prof is a Legend and I won't be surprised if he wins this one.
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:33am On May 10, 2015
Amusaopeyemi:

He translated Igbo Olodumare too to 'In the forest of Olodumare'
I have all his books.
The prof is a Legend and I won't be surprised if he wins this one.
I thought it's Prof. Olu Obafemi of Unilorin, now in National Institute of Policy and Strategic Study, Kuru, Jos, that translated "Igbo Olodumare." There is one other professor that translated "Ibudo Onireke." D. O. Fagunwa's books are full of mystery. If he had written in English, he might have won the Nobel Laureate (in Literature). The Queen gave him the title of Member of the British Empire (MBE).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Utme Change Of Institution/course / Why I Will Never Forget The Day I Wrote My Pume Exam! / Imo State born Prof Anyanwu to be Vice Chancellor of an American University

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.