Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,460 members, 7,864,930 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 09:40 AM

Workplace Communication- Akeem Gbadamosi - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Workplace Communication- Akeem Gbadamosi (533 Views)

Workplace Sexual Harrasment / Whats The Major Challenge You Are Facing At Your Workplace? / Internet Abuse At Workplace: A Rising Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Workplace Communication- Akeem Gbadamosi by Akgbada(m): 1:06am On May 09, 2015
Workplace communication or Corporate communication means through which tasks and resources needed to carry out an assignment, the roles and duties and the expected results are made known to the subordinates.
According to Robert Kneitner and Angelo Kinicki, defines Communication as the “exchange of information between a sender and a receiver and the influence (perception) of between the individuals involved.
Communication is a vital part of managerial function and unless we communicate with each other; we cannot plan, organize, control, or lead i.e Communication is the life-blood that hold the organization together.
Of what importance is Communication to the workplace? The benefit cannot be over emphasized because it is germane to the progress of organization.
Ken Lawson in his book, ‘Successful Communication’ itemized the benefits of communication:
Good communication in business is vital to ensure that everyone knows how the company is performing.
Employees have a vested interest in the overall company business but often see only a small part. Managers, especially senior ones, should provide regular briefing.
Managers are often quick to point out failing in staff and to criticize the lack of action or bad practice. It is important to praise staff when things have gone well and targets have been achieved. This can be done in the departmental briefing or individual conversation.
Managers should hold regular briefing on the progress of projects, focusing on timing and achievement and to communicate programme changes.
The company’s success depends upon an efficient workplace and efficiency can be improved by good communication.
Good managers will always be ready to receive information that will improve performance and discuss there with staff of convenient time.
As an HR professional, one of the rules of communicating new ideas is that they should not be dismissed out of hand. Even if they appear unworkable or have been dismissed already, they should be received, and the employee should be thanked.
The way we speak with our customers and the credibility of the message will influence their willingness to place further business. Your communication with them, by whatever means, could be the determining factor in their decision. This makes effective communication vital.
As an HR professional, employees need some way of knowing the mission and strategy of the organization of which they are a part. In this way they see how their personal work fit with the overall. They need to know whether the organization is making progress towards its commitments. To avoid becoming in grown, they need to know what is happening in similar organization, what competitors are doing and how customers feel about their products.
Some old-generation HR professional believed vital information concerning the organization should not be shared with the employees, forgetting they are both partners-in-progress.
As an HR professional, you need to know how work is progressing overall, what barrier or hurdle need to be overcome, where resources are deficient, and, in general, how employees feel about themselves and their work. Is morale high or low? Is there an overall sense of urgency, resignation or indifference?
To meet these needs, plan a systematic series of communication vehicle-employee group meeting, bulletin, letters, and so forth. How many of each and how formal they should be depends, of course, on the size of the organization, the geographic location (all in one place or scattered), the continuity of the work, and similar factors?
In a nutshell, Communication has been described as the glue that holds the organization together.

Leave your comment(s)

Akeem Gbadamosi, M.Sc Industrial Relations and Human Resource Management
Re: Workplace Communication- Akeem Gbadamosi by loistee: 4:16am On May 09, 2015
This an excellent write up pls I will like to have your contact email or bbm pin in other to communicate you am also a masters student of Industrial Relations in university of lagos and am having difficulty in the course because its a diff field from my first degree pls I will appreciate any guidance and material I can get from you. my email is oluwatosinerinle@gmail.com and my bbm pin is 7f5059c6. Thanks as I await your response.

1 Like

Re: Workplace Communication- Akeem Gbadamosi by loistee: 4:23am On May 09, 2015
sorry I forgot to add this I also find your article helpful to me on a group assignment given to me on job evaluation the part am suppose to handle is staff briefing so this article is of tremendous help. I really appreciate.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Meek Mill Accused Of Setting Safaree Up To Be Dumped By Nicki Minaj / Airtel Commences Multimedia Training For 100 Nigerian Journalists / 3d Modeling And Animation Workshop That Focus On Autocad 3d, Maya & 3ds Max.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.