Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,001 members, 7,817,964 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

An Open Letter To Wole Soyinka From A Nigerian, Not From An Igboman - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / An Open Letter To Wole Soyinka From A Nigerian, Not From An Igboman (1274 Views)

Reno Omokri Responds To Wole Soyinka On Invasion Of Privacy / An Igboman Was Once An Oba In Benin Kingdom(how True Is That) / Stop The Celebration: The New NNPC MD Is From Delta Igbo And Not An Igboman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Open Letter To Wole Soyinka From A Nigerian, Not From An Igboman by Nairalanddotcom: 7:37am On May 09, 2015
NOTE: I am not incognizant of the fact the fact the The Cable has apologised.
It is pertinent enough for us to correct some anomalies once and for all. Thus this letter is written as a result ALL Wole Soyinka's internet misdemeanours overtime.

Seems this man doesn't know that he is showing off his "academic infirmity". May be he needs to be reminded that he is not the only 'educated grammarian' en vogue.

His recent outbursts and approach to issues of National concern has been disheartening, immature, provocative, and worst still 'unbefitting' to his much-talked about prestige and social class.

His exchange of words with the first Lady of the federation, Patience Jonathan over the internet a certain time ago was outrageous and baffling. It was a breach to his much-ardoned self-esteem. I really asked questions as regards the concreteness and essence of his professorship. That is not all. His open hatred to the out-going President Jonathan is glaring to every dick and Harry, and cannot be over-emphasized. Yet nobody talked, probably because he is a professor and therefore 'learned'. That is not my area of concern here anyway!

Now, Wole Soyinka is having another controversy with a certain online news outlet, and his manner of approach still begs for wisdom. Yet he is a professor! According to Wole Soyinka, he was allegedly misquoted by a news reporting firm on his Havard lectures in the following words:

“The Igbos are probably the only group of Nigerians that you can predict with great accuracy whom they will vote for in an election, because they tend to put their votes where their stomachs take them; suffering as it were, from incurable money-mindedness, as they would stop at nothing in their quest for personal financial gain,”

On Buhari, he said

Muhammadu Buhari was the better of the two evils as the incumbent president Goodluck Jonathan had been an unmitigated disaster and failure. It was a painful decision to tell people to vote Buhari, but the country needed a new beginning. I was more against Jonathan, than I was pro-Buhari,”

In denial of the first paragraph above, Wole Soyinka said:

"I have just read a statement attributed to me on something called The Cable, a news outlet, evidently one of the Internet infestations. My lecture at the Hutchins Centre, Harvard University, was video recorded. Anyone who believes what I am alleged to have said must be a slowpoke – repeat, a slowpoke. It is demeaning, sickening and boring to have to deal with these cowards who cannot fight their own battles but must fasten their imbecilic pronouncements on others. Only the mentally retarded will credit this comment attributed to me regarding the Ndigbo voting pattern in the last elections. I strongly suspect the author of this despicable concoction, and may make a further statement, once the source is verified.”

Before I continue, can you imagine the words that came from the mouth of a "noble laureate and Professor" - 'slowpoke', 'imbecilic', 'mentally retarded' etc. He did not just use such words, but he used them publicly and in a public statement.

(THAT IS MY AREA OF INTEREST, and invariably, THE PURPOSE OF THIS LETTER) - No strings attached!

Now he is denying the fact that he never made such assertions about the Igbos. Assuming I am forced to believe, of which I have no other option as The cable has cleared all; what about the ones he said about Jonathan...or was that an "imbecilic" pronouncement also? "...the incumbent president Goodluck Jonathan had been an unmitigated disaster and failure."

That was a statement attributed to a sitting president of the most populous black nation by a an "Internationally-renowned professor" and a noble laureate. Kyrie Eleison!

Without mincing words, fear or favour, though with the appropriate respect (as I can't dispute that fact), I think Wole Soyinka needs to retrace his path and probably get a fresh tutorial on public speaking. He needs to learn to be civil in language. He is a writer and a literary worker, so he needs not to be reminded what we call 'diction' in Literature unless he is suffering from intellectual deficiency.

...And finally, Wole Soyinka needs to learn from his elder colleague, Late Chinua Achebe - a man of substance, whose integrity is impeccable, uncompromising, practical, incomparable, and glaring to not just Nigeria but to the international community.

A word is always enough for any man that is wise!

http://www.ogainnocent.com/2015/05/as-wole-soyinka-keeps-disgracing.html

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Wole Soyinka From A Nigerian, Not From An Igboman by DIIGZ(m): 7:39am On May 09, 2015
Omo onile free buy now @ Lekki phase 1
Re: An Open Letter To Wole Soyinka From A Nigerian, Not From An Igboman by HungerBAD: 7:42am On May 09, 2015
The California Institute of Technology or Caltech is the best School in the World, and has been ranked number 1 for some years now , this School beats Harvard,Yale,Oxford,MIT and the others to be number one.

This School is also not well known by people, as it prefers to go about its academic works quietly. Caltech also has 33 Nobel laureates to its name. This School has produced more Nobel laureates, more than its nearest rivals combined. None of these Nobel laureates go about making a mockery of themselves, and herein lies my problem with Wole Soyinka.

For some Strange reasons, he just cannot accept the fact that he has lost his relevancy in our present day and age. Him and the other one(Tam David West)seem to think they can thrash talk themselves into relevancy. Its sad seeing somebody i respect so much going into an early stage of dementia.

And to think the Pyrates Confraternity he founded is filled with 40% Igbo people, smacks of how disconnected Wole Soyinka is from the world by Bashing the people from the East.

Wole Soyinka does not need our insults, he needs our prayers.

5 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Wole Soyinka From A Nigerian, Not From An Igboman by slap1(m): 7:43am On May 09, 2015
Polish your grammar before you dream of addressing the prof. I doubt WS would understand your puerile rants in the rare occasion that he chances upon it.

2 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Wole Soyinka From A Nigerian, Not From An Igboman by Nairalanddotcom: 11:18am On May 09, 2015
slap1:
Polish your grammar before you dream of addressing the prof. I doubt WS would understand your puerile rants in the rare occasion that he chances upon it.

U r free to pin-point any grammatical error in d above piece. U dnt need to tell us dat ur cerebral hemispheres are non-functional.

4 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Wole Soyinka From A Nigerian, Not From An Igboman by Babalegba(m): 12:02pm On May 09, 2015
Nairalanddotcom:
NOTE: I am not incognizant of the fact the fact the The Cable has apologised.
It is pertinent enough for us to correct some anomalies once and for all. Thus this letter is written as a result ALL Wole Soyinka's internet misdemeanours overtime.

Seems this man doesn't know that he is showing off his "academic infirmity". May be he needs to be reminded that he is not the only 'educated grammarian' en vogue.

His recent outbursts and approach to issues of National concern has been disheartening, immature, provocative, and worst still 'unbefitting' to his much-talked about prestige and social class.

His exchange of words with the first Lady of the federation, Patience Jonathan over the internet a certain time ago was outrageous and baffling. It was a breach to his much-ardoned self-esteem. I really asked questions as regards the concreteness and essence of his professorship. That is not all. His open hatred to the out-going President Jonathan is glaring to every dick and Harry, and cannot be over-emphasized. Yet nobody talked, probably because he is a professor and therefore 'learned'. That is not my area of concern here anyway!

Now, Wole Soyinka is having another controversy with a certain online news outlet, and his manner of approach still begs for wisdom. Yet he is a professor! According to Wole Soyinka, he was allegedly misquoted by a news reporting firm on his Havard lectures in the following words:

“The Igbos are probably the only group of Nigerians that you can predict with great accuracy whom they will vote for in an election, because they tend to put their votes where their stomachs take them; suffering as it were, from incurable money-mindedness, as they would stop at nothing in their quest for personal financial gain,”

On Buhari, he said

Muhammadu Buhari was the better of the two evils as the incumbent president Goodluck Jonathan had been an unmitigated disaster and failure. It was a painful decision to tell people to vote Buhari, but the country needed a new beginning. I was more against Jonathan, than I was pro-Buhari,”

In denial of the first paragraph above, Wole Soyinka said:

"I have just read a statement attributed to me on something called The Cable, a news outlet, evidently one of the Internet infestations. My lecture at the Hutchins Centre, Harvard University, was video recorded. Anyone who believes what I am alleged to have said must be a slowpoke – repeat, a slowpoke. It is demeaning, sickening and boring to have to deal with these cowards who cannot fight their own battles but must fasten their imbecilic pronouncements on others. Only the mentally retarded will credit this comment attributed to me regarding the Ndigbo voting pattern in the last elections. I strongly suspect the author of this despicable concoction, and may make a further statement, once the source is verified.”

Before I continue, can you imagine the words that came from the mouth of a "noble laureate and Professor" - 'slowpoke', 'imbecilic', 'mentally retarded' etc. He did not just use such words, but he used them publicly and in a public statement.

(THAT IS MY AREA OF INTEREST, and invariably, THE PURPOSE OF THIS LETTER) - No strings attached!

Now he is denying the fact that he never made such assertions about the Igbos. Assuming I am forced to believe, of which I have no other option as The cable has cleared all; what about the ones he said about Jonathan...or was that an "imbecilic" pronouncement also? "...the incumbent president Goodluck Jonathan had been an unmitigated disaster and failure."

That was a statement attributed to a sitting president of the most populous black nation by a an "Internationally-renowned professor" and a noble laureate. Kyrie Eleison!

Without mincing words, fear or favour, though with the appropriate respect (as I can't dispute that fact), I think Wole Soyinka needs to retrace his path and probably get a fresh tutorial on public speaking. He needs to learn to be civil in language. He is a writer and a literary worker, so he needs not to be reminded what we call 'diction' in Literature unless he is suffering from intellectual deficiency.

...And finally, Wole Soyinka needs to learn from his elder colleague, Late Chinua Achebe - a man of substance, whose integrity is impeccable, uncompromising, practical, incomparable, and glaring to not just Nigeria but to the international community.

A word is always enough for any man that is wise!

http://www.ogainnocent.com/2015/05/as-wole-soyinka-keeps-disgracing.html

dullard poster
Re: An Open Letter To Wole Soyinka From A Nigerian, Not From An Igboman by Nairalanddotcom: 2:18pm On May 09, 2015
Babalegba:
dullard poster
Useless reader and commenter

3 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Wole Soyinka From A Nigerian, Not From An Igboman by Freelancer00(m): 3:36pm On May 09, 2015
POINTLESS. After They apologized for twisting his words, u came out with this jargons
Re: An Open Letter To Wole Soyinka From A Nigerian, Not From An Igboman by chiefinalowo: 3:40pm On May 09, 2015
Even if you are an ibo man, it cuts no ice on Yoruba people.
Useless son of Biafra.
Re: An Open Letter To Wole Soyinka From A Nigerian, Not From An Igboman by meforyou1(m): 3:41pm On May 09, 2015
Woke Soyinka, the cultism founder, is a bitter evil man.
Re: An Open Letter To Wole Soyinka From A Nigerian, Not From An Igboman by walemoney007(m): 3:45pm On May 09, 2015
Nairalanddotcom:

Useless reader and commenter
i feel lik callin u a fool,d goat who misquoted WS desrv to b sue by WS
Re: An Open Letter To Wole Soyinka From A Nigerian, Not From An Igboman by Volksfuhrer(m): 5:38pm On May 09, 2015
Op, why did you find Soyinka's response offensive? But truly, only a slow-poke would put stock in a story that hasn't been verified.

It's also interesting to note that even after The Cable has apologized to Soyinka, you still found it fit to disparage him for not being 'professorial' enough. I'm afraid there's nothing honest about your submission. Why don't you stop pretending and come clean? You just hate the man! Period.
Re: An Open Letter To Wole Soyinka From A Nigerian, Not From An Igboman by Nobody: 10:41pm On May 09, 2015
"There is no doubt at all that there is a strand in contemporary Igbo behaviour that can offend; by its noisy exhibitionism and disregard for humility and quietness"
.............Chinua Achebe.

Seriously, Igbo need to look inward and make conscious effort to correct the generally negative impression others in Nigeria have about them due directly or indirectly to the above observation by no less an Igboman than Prof. Chinua Achebe!

A situation where Igbo Elders (or any tribal leadership for that matter) called out the Igbo or its tribal membership to vote for a particular candidate is to be deprecated. Truth is, it is wrong and puts the tribe in question in a disadvantaged position (but for the magnanimity of the winner they derided) where they turn out to be backing the wrong horse! Folks should vote guided by their conscience and issues of good governance.
Re: An Open Letter To Wole Soyinka From A Nigerian, Not From An Igboman by SLIDEwaxie(m): 11:04pm On May 09, 2015
The only one who is trying frantically yo garner attention is the OP...

good for u, u av my attention; but it was because u are sounding like a fool...
Re: An Open Letter To Wole Soyinka From A Nigerian, Not From An Igboman by Nobody: 11:18pm On May 09, 2015
Yoruba spew jabs at any slightest opportunity, they are ranked number one when it comes to throughing insults and WS is a yoruba man
Re: An Open Letter To Wole Soyinka From A Nigerian, Not From An Igboman by Duru1(m): 11:19pm On May 09, 2015
HungerBAD:
The California Institute of Technology or Caltech is the best School in the World, and has been ranked number 1 for some years now , this School beats Harvard,Yale,Oxford,MIT and the others to be number one.

This School is also not well known by people, as it prefers to go about its academic works quietly. Caltech also has 33 Nobel laureates to its name. This School has produced more Nobel laureates, more than its nearest rivals combined. None of these Nobel laureates go about making a mockery of themselves, and herein lies my problem with Wole Soyinka.

For some Strange reasons, he just cannot accept the fact that he has lost his relevancy in our present day and age. Him and the other one(Tam David West)seem to think they can thrash talk themselves into relevancy. Its sad seeing somebody i respect so much going into an early stage of dementia.

And to think the Pyrates Confraternity he founded is filled with 40% Igbo people, smacks of how disconnected Wole Soyinka is from the world by Bashing the people from the East.

Wole Soyinka does not need our insults, he needs our prayers.

Do not put too much stock on the crap called Nobel laureate. The so-called Nobel thing has been stage- managed toward political agenda of the awarders. It is on record that such useless award had been equally rejected by people who had the whiff of the political agenda of awarding institution.

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Wole Soyinka From A Nigerian, Not From An Igboman by susanokopi(f): 12:29am On May 10, 2015
@ poster, it is obvious you are an ardent supporter of GEJ. There was no need denying your ibo tribe which was implicit in your language.

It is not clear what the point of objection to what the prof might have or have not said is; that is generating such venom from ibos. Is it not true that ibos want to secede?

They want Biafra and yet complain of being excluded from Nigerian presidency. As long as the ibos harbour this impossible dream of Biafran Country, it is incumbent on every Nigerian to make sure that no biafran is elected president of Nigeria. They cannot be both Biafrans and Nigerians at the same time.

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Wole Soyinka From A Nigerian, Not From An Igboman by ki02020(m): 12:44am On May 10, 2015
Make my brother homeless make i nor talk....na na na my mama my papa talk*singing in fela voice*....so prof wole should keep quiet abi when it so clear somethings are just wrong
Re: An Open Letter To Wole Soyinka From A Nigerian, Not From An Igboman by tundamartin: 8:52pm On May 10, 2015
susanokopi:
@ poster, it is obvious you are an ardent supporter of GEJ. There was no need denying your ibo tribe which was implicit in your language.

It is not clear what the point of objection to what the prof might have or have not said is; that is generating such venom from ibos. Is it not true that ibos want to secede?

They want Biafra and yet complain of being excluded from Nigerian presidency. As long as the ibos harbour this impossible dream of Biafran Country, it is incumbent on every Nigerian to make sure that no biafran is elected president of Nigeria. They cannot be both Biafrans and Nigerians at the same time.

True talk. No mind the cunning iboman wey de deny his own tribe grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

NOT AGAIN: Meet The 3 Friends Who Are Set To Trek From Borno To Abuja For Buhari / Senatorial Candidate Proposes The Removal Of 4 Year Presidential Term Limit / You Can't Choose Ministers For Me, Buhari Tells Governors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.