Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,840 members, 7,813,825 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:11 PM

Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc (8063 Views)

Guide For NYSC Members Participating In 2015 Election: A Case Study Of 2011Elec. / Is It Right For NYSC To Still Be Posting Corpers To The North? / Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by concrete: 1:05am On Feb 07, 2009
Please, any tips/suggestions/recommendations for someone an expat that's now looking to get back and serve?

I'm terrified of the conditions. I don't really want to stay there for a whole year b/c I'm not convinced I'll last. I don't think I can even manage to endure 3 weeks of camp. I'm already asking my mom to arrange for me to only spend MAYBE 3 days in camp and maybe just a couple of months at a company before I leave.

I know I sound like a spoiled child but between stories I've heard of poor treatment of youths, them not getting paid appropriately, poor living conditions at the camp, i'm just not sure that I'd be ready for all of that

anyhow, does one know for sure what documents are needed? i've heard that they ask for high school (aka secondary school) transcripts, diplomas and as well and university diplomas and transcripts. also, passports and passport pictures. i also hear you need all kinds of documents from institutions attented. my high school doesn't provide copies of diplomas (though they would be able to provide me copies of my transcripts) and i'm not giving them my original.

suggestions are welcomed grin
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by jamace(m): 6:41am On Feb 08, 2009
I'm already asking my mom to arrange for me to only spend MAYBE 3 days in camp and maybe just a couple of months at a company before I leave.

You should be ashamed of yourself having this type of thought and even having the gut to put it down in writing. Spoilt brat. It is this type of you whose parents smuggled into position of leadership in Nigeria that are causing the rot that we are witnessing in Nigeria right now. You even called yourself an expatriate shakes my head in annoyance. You deserve some koboko angry sad. Shameless idiot angry angry.
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by MrCrackles(m): 12:41pm On Feb 08, 2009
jamace:

You should be ashamed of yourself having this type of thought and even having the gut to put it down in writing. Spoilt brat. It is this type of you whose parents smuggled into position of leadership in Nigeria that are causing the rot that we are witnessing in Nigeria right now. You even called yourself an expatriate shakes my head in annoyance. You deserve some koboko angry sad. Shameless idiot angry angry.

Gbam! grin
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by debosky(m): 12:54pm On Feb 08, 2009
You don't sound to intelligent in the first place. . . .

concrete:

anyhow, does one know for sure what documents are needed? i've heard that they ask for high school (aka secondary school) transcripts, diplomas and as well and university diplomas and transcripts. also, passports and passport pictures. i also hear you need all kinds of documents from institutions attented. my high school doesn't provide copies of diplomas (though they would be able to provide me copies of my transcripts) and i'm not giving them my original.
Don't photocopiers exist where you live? Unless your idea of being an 'expatriate' means living in the jungles of Malaysia. tongue grin

We don't need you to dumb down naija graduates, stay in your backwater stupid-ville. tongue

If you require more information though, check out the following website http://www.nysclagos.org/
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by Sagamite(m): 2:20pm On Feb 08, 2009
jamace:

Eh . . . . . . . .sorry . . . . . . . are you saying he should be ashamed of not wanting to join you in a place where you are treated as a sub-human by some bunch of under-developed and frustrated morons? Where a percentage of you pathetic wages is stolen after all your hard work without any avenue for complaining? Where the simplest infrastructure is not put in place for you to do your work and live a decent life because of incompetence and corruption? Where requirements are made of you without careful thought of feasibility with resources at hand? Or where your throat can be cut under hails of "Allahu Akbar" because some slowpoke thinks his religion has been insulted by a Pastor in Papua New Guinea?

You honestly think he should be ashamed?

1 Like

Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by jamace(m): 11:39pm On Feb 08, 2009
Eh . . . . . . . .sorry . . . . . . . are you saying he should be ashamed of not wanting to join you in a place where you are treated as a sub-human by some bunch of under-developed and frustrated morons? Where a percentage of you pathetic wages is stolen after all your hard work without any avenue for complaining? Where the simplest infrastructure is not put in place for you to do your work and live a decent life because of incompetence and corruption? Where requirements are made of you without careful thought of feasibility with resources at hand? Or where your throat can be cut under hails of "Allahu Akbar" because some slowpoke thinks his religion has been insulted by a Pastor in Papua New Guinea?

You honestly think he should be ashamed?
You should share in the shame because you are hidding in another man's repaired house. Your so-called rotten house remains yours and your landlord knows. When the landlord is fed-up with you, he will kick you out, back to your rotten house. You are only playing smart but not being clever.
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by Sagamite(m): 12:12am On Feb 12, 2009
jamace:

You should share in the shame because you are hidding in another man's repaired house. Your so-called rotten house remains yours and your landlord knows. When the landlord is fed-up with you, he will kick you out, back to your rotten house. You are only playing smart but not being clever.

If my landlord tried that, I will give a call to my mum, Mama Charlie. No shaking!

I will be waiting for you to clean the house since you insist that it is a shame to go to a cleaner house, I will use my pounds to send you the cleaning products. If you do clean it, then you are a hero but I doubt you would because the rot will already be acceptable to you and Naval Ratings will beat the hell out of you if you tried.
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by debosky(m): 12:15am On Feb 12, 2009
Sagamite:

If my landlord tried that, I will give a call to my mum, Mama Charlie. No shaking!

I will be waiting for you to clean the house since you insist that it is a shame to go to a cleaner house, I will use my pounds to send you the cleaning products. If you do clean it, then you are a hero but I doubt you would because the rot will already be acceptable to you and Naval Ratings will beat the hell out of you if you tried.
Completely went over your head Sagamite. (or did it?)

he is referring to you being in the UK (another man's house) instead of your home country (your so-called rotten house).

Where is the yeye expatriate sef? Gone crying to mama most likely. grin grin
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by jamace(m): 7:31am On Feb 12, 2009
grin grin grin Come back o lets recieve the beatings together, for the sake of our country. We need youths like you for the great revolution to be achievable. grin
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by Sagamite(m): 9:30pm On Feb 20, 2009
debosky:

Completely went over your head Sagamite. (or did it?)

he is referring to you being in the UK (another man's house) instead of your home country (your so-called rotten house).

Where is the yeye expatriate sef? Gone crying to mama most likely.  grin grin

No, I got the gist. It did not go over my head, I tackled it to the ground.

I know he was referring to me being in the UK, that is why I replied him that my mother is Mama Charlie (The Queen), especially when he was talking about being kicked out, as I have all the rights to claim to be British as I was born here and have the papers to prove it.  grin

jamace:

grin grin grin Come back o lets recieve the beatings together, for the sake of our country. We need youths like you for the great revolution to be achievable. grin

You don't need to be there physically to make a difference. There are hundreds outside Nigeria doing hundred times more than some who are in Nigeria.
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by agaba123(m): 9:39pm On Feb 20, 2009
Why are you coming to serve in a country you cannot stay in?

Better stay where you are.

In the camps, those who have money do not wait for alawe except you are a church rat.

If your mama is one of the looters who can fix things for you, why will you complain.

Go ahead and destroy nigeria. Tomorrow you will be a governor of one state and end up telling us that foreign relations is seeing Russia through your window.

Nye nye nye
See im mouth
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by Gamine(f): 9:41pm On Feb 20, 2009
Expatriate undecided

i posted on Cactus's thread on this same issue

but this one wey be Expat, i dont understand o undecided
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by agaba123(m): 3:19pm On Feb 21, 2009
Sorry
I forgot to inform you that you may need to naturalize first before going for youths service. And I doubt if you are elligible for a youth service slot.
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by concrete: 1:31am On Feb 22, 2009
na wa o!

i'm horrible b/c i don't wanna stay in camp? undecided there's a difference between living in 9ja and staying in some God-awful camp that won't provide the most basic amenities while requiring you to wake up at 5 in the morning to perform grueling exercises. sorry if you don't understand the difference

and while i can appreciate the fact that you may think i sound spoiled (and i honestly don't blame you guys), i'm not. i paid my own way through university, donate to charity (both Canadian-based and to multiple 9ja organizations) and I am highly independent. i actually want to be able to try to make a difference so I am very much willing to leave my job, much of my family and friends to try to make something positive happen in 9ja. it's not everyone that's looking to go back home that does it for monetary purposes. i stand more to lose than gain by going back.

i'm even coming to do charity work this summer again after doing the same at FGGC in PH and in Benin (though the VP and Principal are not serious so I'll be donating time and money to some churches in Benin this time around) and also to a few local hospitals.

So don't judge.
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by Gamine(f): 1:34am On Feb 22, 2009
You simply went abroad for a Bachelors and you suddenly became an expatriate?? undecided

that, i dont understand.
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by concrete: 6:16pm On Feb 22, 2009
was born and raised abroad
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by agaba123(m): 7:35pm On Feb 22, 2009
concrete:

was born and raised abroad

If that makes you an expatriate you can as well apply for naturalisation first before talking about youth service.
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by tpia: 3:42am On Feb 24, 2009
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by Nobody: 3:15pm On Feb 24, 2009
@ op, why do you call yourself concrete ? grin

it seems you cave in at the mildest of pressures grin
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by agaba123(m): 5:58pm On Feb 24, 2009
camp sweet camp
What can I say.
Kai mana. gburubaka shege. Walahi talahi. I na so camp.
Akwei pree booze, akwei nyarinya flenty
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by netotse(m): 11:04pm On Feb 24, 2009
lol @ OP who is expatriating u? please dont come and spoil NYSC for me o. . . i dont want to see anybody crying. . . lol
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by concrete: 11:14pm On Feb 24, 2009
thanks tpia and others smiley
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by Hotstepper(f): 4:05am On Feb 25, 2009
@concrete, I bet you will enjoy the camp that you will even 4get about the condition. You will meet alot of people there from different ethnicity. B/w, which Canadian University did you attend? When do u wanna serve? I am about applying to serve so we can work on it together
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by biina: 9:06am On Feb 25, 2009
na wa o!!! some people go down grade naija so low, and uplift the foreign land wey dem dey stay so high, like say na only dem dem don live for obodo onyecha.
I beg wind don blow, we don see fowl yansh. ignoramus, 'a se eyinbo na le ta ibon'.
Naija get im problems, but so does every other country in the world.

Shameless fellow, dey call himself expatriate. If na oil money dem wan share now, e go put down im traditional name, shouting say e be 'son of the soil'. Who dey beg you sef make you come serve for naija. arrant nonsense.
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by concrete: 5:24pm On Feb 25, 2009
@ agaba123: i've been doing some research since you posted that and it appears as though you may be right, i don't think i actually qualify for NYSC afterall

thanks for the info. i've asked my aunt in abuja to confirm this info for me smiley

@hotstepper: see note above. don't know if i can even do it at all
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by tboy1(m): 5:47pm On Feb 25, 2009
concrete:

@ agaba123: i've been doing some research since you posted that and it appears as though you may be right, i don't think i actually qualify for NYSC afterall
thanks for the information. i've asked my aunt in abuja to confirm this information for me smiley
@hotstepper: see note above. don't know if i can even do it at all

Dude you don't need anyone to confirm anything for you - All the info you need is available online
http://www.nysc.gov.ng/
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by Hotstepper(f): 6:55pm On Feb 25, 2009
@concrete, what maks u think you do n ot qualify? you dont need ur aunt as everything is online. If you dont have a Nigerian passport(which am guessing maybe that's why you said u dont quality), then get ready to apply for work permit in Nigeria if you are actually thinking of working in Nigeria cuz without ir and serving, you cannot and even if u go as an expatriate as you think u r, u still need a work permit which will be issued to you with a proof that you have secured a a job in Nigeria.
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by Hesperus(m): 7:11pm On Feb 25, 2009
NYSC camp is not as horrible as you think. Since you will be going to naija from Canada (am guessing that from ur previous post), you will most likely end up in Lagos or Abuja. And those camps are well organised compared to others because na places like dat "big men pikin" de serve.

I served in the far north and even tho I complained every single day in camp, looking back now, it was one of the sweetest experiences of my life. If I had the chance, I would defo do it again!

NB: I dont know where you heard that they ask for high school diplomas and all that. All you need is your call-up letter and your Uni certificate/transcript or a letter from your school confirming graduation.
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by tpia: 10:14pm On Feb 25, 2009
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by concrete: 7:13pm On Feb 26, 2009
thanks for all the information people

@tpia: i've never been educated in nigeria. my mom is nigerian born but my dad is not. either way, i'm still gonna ask my aunt to look into it for me b/c yes, i would like to get involved with the government in some capacity in the future. thanks for the info

@ Hesperus: i hope you're right b/c everyone has been telling me otherwise. that i need all my transcripts, letters, diplomas and stuff. my cousin was born in 9ja but schooled in the U.S. and he had to bring pictures of his graduating ceremony, LOL. if all i need is a copy of my diploma, then i'm ok smiley getting the rest will be a bit of a hassle. thanks for the info
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by agaba123(m): 8:16pm On Feb 26, 2009
If your dad is not Nigerian . . . . not sure.
You prolly an expat as you said . . .lol
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by concrete: 2:07am On Feb 27, 2009
my dad was born in UK, schooled in the U.S. but raised in 9ja

my mom was born in 9ja, school in UK/Canada

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Where Can I Purchase Nysc Khaki Material To Sew / What Have You Achieved After Your NYSC ? / Nysc Camp Life In Bayelsa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.