Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:01 AM

Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc - NYSC (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc (8066 Views)

Guide For NYSC Members Participating In 2015 Election: A Case Study Of 2011Elec. / Is It Right For NYSC To Still Be Posting Corpers To The North? / Going For Nysc? Read Here: Survival Guide/tips For Prospective Nysc Corp Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by joobreel(m): 6:58am On Mar 31, 2009
hmmmm. a lot on NYSC
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by Iranoladun(f): 4:04pm On Mar 31, 2009
Much ado about nothing!!
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by na2day2(m): 5:29am On Apr 01, 2009
SEFAGO:

native means you were born somewhere, the poster is not native to nigeria, her parents are born in nigeria, men thats why people find it difficult to pass simple waec english in naija

so a tiger born in an african zoo is native to africa? no wonder u fail ur waec lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by na2day2(m): 6:21am On Apr 01, 2009
A-town:

Posted by: na2day?  
why go to wiki, use a dictionary, nysc is about one's citizenship, and under nigerian law, if u have a single parent as nigerian, u r nigerian too, so she is not an expatriate in terms of citizenship which is the requirement for a graduate to participate in the program period.  

Kindly state where you got this from. I need you to tell me exactly where(in the constitution/law) it states what you posted.
You are only Nigerian IF you apply for citizenship. If your mum is Nigerian and you don't APPLY for citizenship, you are not a NIGERIAN citizen.
As far as i'm concerned, if you have any other passport and don't have a Nigerian passport, you are an EXPATRIATE for work purposes hence the OP is correct. Answer her question and stop making a fool out ya self.

have u ever applied for a nigerian passport b4? and in case u miss my point, i will help u clarify it, she is no expatriate to nigeria based on [size=14pt]citizenship[/size], she may work as one, that will depend on how a company choose to treat her but what is required for NYSC is simple (1) u must be a graduate of some sort, (2) u r 30 and below in age, (3) u r a citizen of nigeria. number 3 is the bone of contention, and to clarify that i will use my experience: when i went to apply 4 my passport at immigration, i found out that u must produce ur original birth certificate, if born in nigeria, that automatically validates ur nigerian citizenship if one parent is nigerian. and there is a form u will fill out, these info on it for u to read. i had lost my original birth cert when we moved, so they asked for proof of origin from LGA and a sworn affidavit for birth. the form they gave me clearly states who can lay claim to a nigerian citizenship and having 1 nigerian parent was a criterion, and just to let u know, my neighbor who was born in france got his passport b4 i did, so did many of my friends that was born abroad(granted, some of their parents were diplomats but, they were still born abroad). during my NYSC, i had a yoruba girl in my platoon that was born and raised in the USA, they got her paper work done in her LG and she served without any issues (apart from the time she slapped a soldier and almost got all of us killed for her stupidity grin grin ) . like i said b4, she is no expatriate citizenship wise, especially the fact that nigeria recognizes dual-citizenship and she is certainly not the first to come serve in nysc that was born abroad.
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by jamace(m): 8:47am On Apr 01, 2009
Haba! This thread has turned to hotcake because of this mud Concrete of a poster and his childish rants. Please, everybody forgive him for knows not what he is doing (being a mummy's pet).

Just one thing more. Please, Concrete kindly inform the House whenever you are around for the NYSC. Some of us may like to visit to say hi. Waiting. grin
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by Nobody: 4:33pm On Apr 01, 2009
na2day?:

have u ever applied for a nigerian passport b4? and in case u miss my point, i will help u clarify it, she is no expatriate to nigeria based on [size=14pt]citizenship[/size], she may work as one, that will depend on how a company choose to treat her but what is required for NYSC is simple (1) u must be a graduate of some sort, (2) u r 30 and below in age, (3) u r a citizen of nigeria. number 3 is the bone of contention, and to clarify that i will use my experience: when i went to apply 4 my passport at immigration, i found out that u must produce ur original birth certificate, if born in nigeria, that automatically validates ur nigerian citizenship if one parent is nigerian. and there is a form u will fill out, these information on it for u to read. i had lost my original birth cert when we moved, so they asked for proof of origin from LGA and a sworn affidavit for birth. the form they gave me clearly states who can lay claim to a nigerian citizenship and having 1 nigerian parent was a criterion, and just to let u know, my neighbor who was born in france got his passport b4 i did, so did many of my friends that was born abroad(granted, some of their parents were diplomats but, they were still born abroad). during my NYSC, i had a yoruba girl in my platoon that was born and raised in the USA, they got her paper work done in her LG and she served without any issues (apart from the time she slapped a soldier and almost got all of us killed for her stupidity grin grin ) . like i said b4, she is no expatriate citizenship wise, especially the fact that nigeria recognizes dual-citizenship and she is certainly not the first to come serve in nysc that was born abroad.

Like i told you earlier, you don't need to narrate your life story to prove your point. Theres no difference between you and nollywood producers who "break" movies into two parts to tell their story.

Anyway, what you have stated only goes to tell us who/how to get Nigerian citizenship.
Yes - if one of your parents is a Nigerian, you CAN claim citizenship. You MAY choose not to since it does not automatically translate to citizenship. You are NOT A bleeping NIGERIAN CITIZEN UNTIL YOU APPLY FOR CITIZENSHIP. If your claim is correct, then one does not need a visa to enter Nigeria if one's "mum" was born in Nigeria. You can just tell them that your mum is from Nigeria, hence you are a nigerian citizen so they'll let you pass. If you don't apply and hold another nations passport, you are a FREAKING EXPATRIATE. Got it?
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by SEFAGO(m): 11:46pm On Apr 01, 2009
na2day, I did not fail WAEC by the way, at least 5A1s is not a failure last time I checked:

By the way your logic is extremely faulty: so a tiger born in an african zoo is native to africa?, first of all we are talking of human beings.
And following from your logic-if you are smart enough to follow mine- that means an african american or black briton or virtually no american is a native of america because their ancestors were not native, wrong

The Tiger in question is a nigerian citizen because he was born in a nigerian zoo. If the tiger decided to switch zoos in a different country, he would not have any connections to his new zoo because his life experiences have not been shaped by that zoo, he becomes an expatriate in his new zoo because he is not a native of that zoo, even though his mother was born in that zoo.

The main question- are you arguing that companies wouldn't view the OP as an expatriate, well yes probably but that's not the crux of the matter
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by suprted(m): 4:29am On Apr 02, 2009
this is how people fail exams.

someone comes asking for help and you're debating the word a person used.

thats nigerians for you- number one at being bitter, jealous haters.

and NYSC is a joke, doing CD once a week is NOT service to your country. i would have so much more respect for it if it was like military service instead of a government sanctioned internship.
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by Hotstepper(f): 3:10pm On Apr 02, 2009
I keep saying this that unless you have a passport of Nigeria, you are seized to become one. If not one needs a visa. Its a a very political sumthing to separate binary opposition b/w us and them (Nigerians and non Nigerians). Yes, she might see herself as a Nigerian but without a Passport, she is not one.

Do u know that if u wanna travel to Naija and dont have a Nigerian passport that the embassy requires a letter of IV from a Nigerian etc.

I dont wanna tell me life story to prove my point so ama leave it as it is
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by Nobody: 2:33pm On May 27, 2009
Just reading some of the replies - Nigerians make me laugh with their bad belle and complex - they are the first ones who will happily take free ticket to travel but are here insulting someone cos he made the mistake of calling himself an expat - i tired for u people.

Having lived in Nigeria for a few years after high school I can honestly say that a lot of nigerians in nigeria who don't have the opportunity to travel will see everything u do as forming or thinking u are better than them. its just too funny, or telling you they don't understand the english u are speaking - no be english we dey all speak. Anyway the poster asked for advice if ur not here to give it to him but to display ur jealousy abeg start ur own thred titled "Why do all these abroad people dey form self" i'm sure u guys will have a field day.

Nonsense and bloody ingredients.

This is how we will progress eh, oyinbo are interested in people who are exposed to other cultures - nigerians just form bad belle!!
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by concrete: 9:24pm On Jun 08, 2009
na wa o! i didn't mean any harm by using that word. u guys are harsh LOL cry i've never denied my nigerian heritage or tried to act superior to anyone at all. i was just going by wat some of my relatives here and back home told me (that technically, if i wanted to work in nigeria, i could do so under that status).

anyway, as i said, i was born in uk and raised in canada. i have dual citizenship (uk/canada). my dad is uk born and had dual citizenship (uk/nigeria) and my mom was born in nigeria but also has dual citizenship (canada/nigeria). if that clears it up for those of you debating the terminology used undecided

for those who are curious, i've decided to look into serving next feb/march, that way i can be better prepared. since i'll be travelling shortly to do some charity work in lagos, i've made arrangements to go abuja to confirm wat info i need to bring when i serve. and yes, i'll be serving the full three weeks in camp (like the rest of you guys)

jeez people! take it easy. i don't kno y some of u got so defensive undecided

thanks for those who helped/answered my questions tongue
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by oyinda3(f): 8:25am On Jun 20, 2009
lol @ thread
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by ell77(f): 4:53pm On Jun 28, 2009
concrete:

na wa o! i didn't mean any harm by using that word. u guys are harsh LOL cry i've never denied my nigerian heritage or tried to act superior to anyone at all. i was just going by wat some of my relatives here and back home told me (that technically, if i wanted to work in nigeria, i could do so under that status).

anyway, as i said, i was born in uk and raised in canada. i have dual citizenship (uk/canada). my dad is uk born and had dual citizenship (uk/nigeria) and my mom was born in nigeria but also has dual citizenship (canada/nigeria). if that clears it up for those of you debating the terminology used undecided

for those who are curious, i've decided to look into serving next feb/march, that way i can be better prepared. since i'll be travelling shortly to do some charity work in lagos, i've made arrangements to go abuja to confirm wat info i need to bring when i serve. and yes, i'll be serving the full three weeks in camp (like the rest of you guys)

jeez people! take it easy. i don't kno y some of u got so defensive undecided

thanks for those who helped/answered my questions tongue

My dear. You don't have to explain yourself!

Those with understanding and without bitterness understood you perfectly. Just like someone said on this forum technically if you come back you are an exptriate, as exptriate status is to do with residence and not ancestry. However for NYSC you will be classed as foreign student (which to me is even worse but that is the official term ). I am impressed at your interest in charity work, when I was serving I made a point of taking up a special CD that did a lot for charity and this is the only way to feel like you have achieved something. Please encourage your friends to go to Nigeria to do similar things, even if they don't want to serve and contribution that benefits Nigeria is welcome. I believe if every expat Nigerian (yes that's right i said expat!!!), came back and did a little something for a local community, Nigeria would be better in no time - we can't wait for our governement. We don't need to rely on foreign people when are own expats are capable. It will even inspire more local Nigerians too. Personally, I am proud of the way you think. You are acting more like a Nigerian than some people who were proabably insulting you for calling yourself an expat. Because nowadays, all over the world we often forget our brothers and sisters, Nigerians living in Nigeria included.

It would be nice to be thanked for what you want to do for others. But anyone who has ever done charity work knows that sadly you are not always thanked. So my only advice to you is to help others for the sake of helping them, and don't expect a thank you, or even support. If you get it, that's wonderful, but don't wait for it. God will thank you in the end and even if you don't believe in that, just remember you can't complain about your country when you have done nothing to TRY to improve it.

PS. I for one am already thanking you! grin
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by concrete: 2:54am On Jul 01, 2009
^^^^^^^^^thanks

well i went and was told next batch is between september and november angry angry they had "couldn't pinpoint" when the next one would take place!

the website is also down angry

i am highly annoyed. i need to prepare for next batch and they are making it very difficult
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by ell77(f): 11:29am On Jul 01, 2009
Well when I was serving they brought out like four batches. March, July, Septemeber, December - give or take some months for each of them. So my advice for you is to just go with the flow. There are too many Nigerians who have been sitting at home waiting for NYSC and the government is only now starting to rectify it. In my view they should know when the next batch is coming but they might want to keep it secret for some reason. Since you wanted to serve in feb/march then just forget this year. When January comes check the website again. Some current corpers may know the answer on nairaland though, they often hear all these rumours - but I have to tell you many turn out not to be true.

Continue with your charity work. When you get to Nigeria go to Abuja and sign up if they have started calling foreign students on their website. But be advised that between the time you go to register and the time you go to start camp at least one month will pass, so since you are coming to Nigeria anyway there is no point in trying to fit yourself around the NYSC. It will be stressful, especially going to that Abuja office for foreign students. Jeez. Please don't cry if they insult you there for no reason. Smile! just remember it is there way of saying 'welcome'! grin I did meet one lovely lady there though. She was sort of like an angel. So remember where there is bad there is also good! wink
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by concrete: 12:50pm On Jul 01, 2009
^^^
thanks for the advice

i've already decided to serve this year if possible. i'm just hoping the website will be up and running soon enough

people were surprisingly very nice to me at the abuja office. just not informative embarassed
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by ell77(f): 1:14pm On Jul 01, 2009
Oh. wow. So you actually went to the Abuja office already? That's strange that they don't know the next batch then, thought you called them. September, October, November - they have no clue between these dates? Okay. Well, don't really know what to tell you. The next one is even July/August.

The website is okay. It says BATCH 'B' 2009 ORIENTATION COURSE COMMENCES ON THE 14th JULY - 4th AUGUST 2009
Registration of Foreign-Trained Nigerian Graduates is 4th - 15th June, 2009.
Collection of Call-up letters by Foreign-trained Graduates is 9th - 13th July, 2009.

So you just missed that one. Guess Batch C should be September/October for registration and then perhaps November to commence. just check the website again on the 14th of July when batch B would have entered camp. By then hopefully they will be happy to let eveyone know. If not check again when batch B camp has finished.

If the people were nice in Abuja office, you should have collected their number. So you can call them nearer the time instead of travelling.
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by concrete: 11:30pm On Jul 01, 2009
^^^^

i was there for some charity/wedding/vacation purposes anyway. i didnt' go just for nysc info (else i woulda been PISSED since they weren't very informative)

i guess i should be preparing to be there about 1 month to the commencement of camp. i'm excited, yet anxious and slightly frustrated but will definately take your advice and look for info in two weeks smiley thanks for that info.

i should assume then, that call up letter are sent to foreign students in nigeria during that one month period during registration/commencement of camp? that's how i'm understanding it from what u said. can you clarify?

thanks a lot

and yes, i did grab a contact there but they said they don't know anything yet. maybe in a couple weeks and u suggested. they told me to just keep in touch every few weeks for latest updates
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by ell77(f): 11:55pm On Jul 01, 2009
That's okay, don't mention it. You will register first. Then you go back to collect your call up letter about a month later. Here is the Batch B timetable for foreign grads to give you an idea of the time frame:
Registration of Foreign-Trained Nigerian Graduates
4th - 15th June, 2009

Collection of Call-up letters by Foreign-trained Graduates
9th - 13nd July, 2009

Batch ‘B’ 2009 Orientation Course
14th July - 4th Aug 2009

But it is good you have kept a contact there. Keep checking the website and be nice to that person so that if there are any issues they will feel more inclined to take their time to explain to you. There are often problems. Remember to photocopy everything as there is nowhere to do it there. Hope your transcript is with you. Good luck, you will be fine. Which states are you picking? I suggest Abuja and Lagos. Abuja is easier to live, I served in Lagos and it was good as I turned to pako! But sometimes I wish Abuja had been my first choice. Anyway, there is good everywhere (but watch out for some of the northern states, there were riots when I was serving - we lost our fellow corpers - extremely saddening and frustrating).
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by anneduke: 12:52am On Jul 02, 2009
I know I sound like a spoiled child but between stories I've heard of poor treatment of youths, them not getting paid appropriately, poor living conditions at the camp, i'm just not sure that I'd be ready for all of that[quote][/quote]

yeah,you're right,why bother to come.i'm sure you do not like any of these.
Re: Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc by concrete: 3:02pm On Jul 02, 2009
thanks ell77. so now i know i should be there about a month to camp and that i will need to collect my call up letter a month after registration

u've been a big help grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Have You Achieved After Your NYSC ? / Nysc Camp Life In Bayelsa / Where Can I Purchase Nysc Khaki Material To Sew

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.