Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:01 AM

Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. (13677 Views)

Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. / Intelligent Questions Every Interviewee Should Ask During Interviews / Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by audujosh(m): 9:10am On May 10, 2015
A friend of mine who worked for over two years, as a contract staff with a bank, called me and told me about her experience during an with interview with gtbank. She said the interviewer bluntly told her that the over two years working experience she had "are not working experience. "
I just keep wondering to myself if an interviewer would say such a thing, then what's the fate of contract staff in this country. Bearing in mind that most of the so called contract staff picked the job in order to get the necessary working experience to enable switch to a better job.
I think the incoming government really needs to look into this contract staff of a thing and act on it swiftly.
Please let's keep the contributions coming.

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by yomi007k(m): 9:26am On May 10, 2015
If its not experience,den wat is it?

18 Likes

Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by audujosh(m): 9:36am On May 10, 2015
yomi007k:
If its not experience,den wat is it?
Bros i wonder oh. That's a hate statement.

10 Likes

Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by hotunba20(m): 10:18am On May 10, 2015
It's an experience but is the way some interviewer sees it and most of this organisation know abt how contract staff are being maltreat in some bank and coy( don't lemme mention names)

I think govt should cancel contract staff cos it's an advance or civilized slavery.

12 Likes

Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by free2ryhme: 11:37am On May 10, 2015
audujosh:
A friend of mine who worked for over two years, as a contract staff with a bank, called me and told me about her experience during an with interview with gtbank. She said the interviewer bluntly told her that the over two years working experience she had "are not working experience. "
I just keep wondering to myself if an interviewer would say such a thing, then what's the fate of contract staff in this country. Bearing in mind that most of the so called contract staff picked the job in order to get the necessary working experience to enable switch to a better job.
I think the incoming government really needs to look into this contract staff of a thing and act on it swiftly.

If it was man know man u take get the Job we no go read the story for nairaland oo

Is it now you suddenly remember that contract staff are being ill-treated in nigeria?

Some people thru contract staffing gets better job, yours is just one-off

2 Likes

Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by audujosh(m): 12:55pm On May 10, 2015
free2ryhme:

If it was man know man u take get the Job we no go read the story for nairaland oo

Is it now you suddenly remember that contract staff are being ill-treated in nigeria?

Some people thru contract staffing gets better job, yours is just one-off

Read and understand before commenting. This ain't my story but a friend's.

3 Likes

Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by obiak4(m): 12:59pm On May 10, 2015
hotunba20:
It's an experience but is the way some interviewer sees it and most of this organisation know abt how contract staff are being maltreat in some bank and coy( don't lemme mention names)

I think govt should cancel contract staff cos it's an advance or civilized slavery.
government cannot cancel contract staffing because that is the in-thing all over the world what they would do is find a way to sanitise how the system work
you don't throw away the baby and the bath water

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by free2ryhme: 1:49pm On May 10, 2015
[quote author=audujosh post=33598371][/quote]

Your story oo or your friend's story all na d same thing we still dey talk

How are we sure your are not using a third person for a story that truely happened to you

after all 99% of such stories posted on NL are either my friend, my cousin, a colleague, and never this is what happened to me

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by CHM11: 3:25pm On May 10, 2015
After all when you are being 'staffed' permanently by your own company at the expense of other better qualified people from outside, you won't be making noise.
Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by itzWarner(m): 4:25pm On May 10, 2015
Ewo tun leleyi bayi

Orisirisi threadi ni nairaland yi
Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by okooloyun1(m): 4:25pm On May 10, 2015
K
Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by folabayo1(f): 4:26pm On May 10, 2015
@ op God bless u for this thread! Not just @ the interview stage but also after being employed ur salary and incentives will be very diff from dat of a real staff

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by ITbomb(m): 4:26pm On May 10, 2015
Some HR sef, arrogantly displaying their ignorance.
But dont be discouraged, you still have an edge over the non-experienced job seekers

Click Here to get your free official MTN 150mb
Click here to make it work on all sites and downloads

6 Likes

Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by Isiterere(m): 4:26pm On May 10, 2015
Discrimination again?

ALL IZZ WELL
Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by Princenady(m): 4:27pm On May 10, 2015
Contract staffing shouldnt be blamed or banned but some recruiters need orientation. If not for contract staffing some of us would not have gotten permanent staffing.
Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by lonelydora: 4:27pm On May 10, 2015
Since Oshiomole left NLC, the labour laws has been in comatose. That is why all these banks, Indians, and Chinese companies misbehave. But I pray after May 29th things will take shape on Nigeria.

In other news, contract staff pass contract staff. Contract staff in Total or Chevron is bigger than Permanent staff in most organisations.

3 Likes

Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by maduxs: 4:28pm On May 10, 2015

Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by demmy0325(m): 4:28pm On May 10, 2015
Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by Adonispco: 4:29pm On May 10, 2015
I made fp today. Thank God oo. Sorry i sincerely don't have anytime to say maybe my fellow nairaland gurus who know this aspect will have reason comments. Thanks
Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by Jaffar23(m): 4:30pm On May 10, 2015
Contract staff are given no regard at all.. No promotion, no salary increase, no p.s and no 13month.. The OP says 2 yrs.. I have a contract staff dat works with us he has been dere for 13yrs now and has trained some top ppl in our bank.. But has nothing to show for it.. He was even giving query for sticking to banks policy cos the head of marketing felt belittled.. I feel fo them

2 Likes

Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by boxypane(m): 4:32pm On May 10, 2015
The interviewer is probably scared of her achievements on her cv. All d same, she shouldn't allow such weigh her down a bit.

3 Likes

Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by kay1one2(m): 4:34pm On May 10, 2015

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by Codedeben: 4:40pm On May 10, 2015
CHM11:
After all when you are being 'staffed' permanently by your own company at the expense of other better qualified people from outside, you won't be making noise.
Hian! How many organizations eventually "staff' their non-core nowadays?

Talking about qualified, don't get your point. Is it possible not to ever have better qualified candidate for each and every positions?
what are the chances of having them all employed?
That's life!

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by XXCASH: 4:42pm On May 10, 2015
Very sad. I'm a staff in a multinational and I feel very bad the way contract staff are treated.
My advise is for contract staff to send as many petitions to government, hopefully with the new government coming in I see an opportunity for things to change.
Why should these companies be declaring billions of Naira and even dollars like in the case of my company while majority of those working there are leaving from hand to mouth.
Anytime I bring this up, my colleagues advise I be careful. Really what more can one do since I'm directly affected
Please contract staffs, fight and fight on. Without this there is really no light at the end of the tunnel for you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by Nobody: 4:43pm On May 10, 2015
audujosh:

its basically not a government issue. Its the duty of labour unions. unfortunately, labour unions are only interested in oil price strike

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by Agbalanze(m): 4:44pm On May 10, 2015
The interviewer is a sadist. angry angry

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by alotofgrace(m): 4:45pm On May 10, 2015
And the contract staff do the bulk of the job.

Ama one embarassed

And if you do the job bulk,u get the bulk experience. So what experience was the inexperienced interviewer talking about? The permanent staff experience

5 Likes

Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by alotofgrace(m): 4:46pm On May 10, 2015

Why am I appearing twice? Hope am No contract user on nairaland too angry
Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by CHM11: 4:48pm On May 10, 2015
Codedeben:

Hian! How many organizations eventually "staff' their non-core nowadays?

Talking about qualified, don't get your point. Is it possible not to ever have better qualified candidate for each and every positions?
what are the chances of having them all employed?
That's life!

95% of multinational FMCG's here in Nigeria do that (don't want to mention names). They carry out recruitment campaigns for auditing purposes, in the end, they 'staff' the contract guys with them and those whose passed tests and interviews are left hanging. Worse these contract guys most times won't be in the recruitment campaign from the start.

Where is the meritocracy in such process? Like you said, that's life!!........so contract guys shouldn't complain, if you don't want to stay as contract staff just leave the job for others who are ready.

And to the interviewer in the post....he/she is just mad... Which other experience is he/she talking about?
Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by Codedeben: 4:48pm On May 10, 2015
Princenady:
Contract staffing shouldnt be blamed or banned but some recruiters need orientation. If not for contract staffing some of us would not have gotten permanent staffing.
You're lucky you found yourself in an organization where a contract staff get automatically converted. Most coys do not give room for that any longer. Especially Nigerian Banks. You can be there forever as a contract staff unless you get yourself out of the system. Even after personally upgrading yourself, you won't be reckoned with, the only solution is to find somewhere else where your experience and qualifications might count.

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Against Contract Staff During Interviews. by dammytosh: 4:53pm On May 10, 2015
audujosh:

The interviewer is the problem.

There is no crime in being a contract staff.

It is simple.

I am at home and some one needs me for 1 year and it is renewable if need be. It is an experience of course.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

How I Experienced Job Interview Scamming Method At Ibadan / Massive Academic Job Recruitment At Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University / Arabic Controversy: CAN Youth Wing Commends JAMB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.