Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:42 AM

JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake (7805 Views)

Photos Of The Lady Who Returned N860k Transferred To Her Account By Mistake / First Time Buying From Alibaba / See How Much You Can Get Ewedu Broom On Jumia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by WebMania: 10:05am On May 11, 2015
As someone used to buying stuff online from Amazon, Ebay, etc. I decided to give online purchases in Nigeria a try.
Since Jumia has been making so much noise lately, and their prices seem to be good, I decided to shop on Jumia - Big Mistake.

I placed orders for a Wireless Home Theater and Air Conditioner. The orders were delivered fast enough. But unfortunately, that was where the good part ended. I was not at home to personally receive the item, but sent someone to receive it for me.

On getting back home, I opened the package, and to my dismay, the Home Theater delivered did not have wireless speakers. Also, for the a/c, on opening the package, the item looked used - it was dirty and I could see signs that suggested that it wasn't "new".

So, I promptly returned the items the next day and asked for a replacement.

Now, Jumia insists it must give me a voucher that is worth N2,000 less than the items I bought. Also, since the prices of the items have changed, the voucher can not even purchase the same items I bought on Jumia anymore.

So, coupled with the time wasted, the money spent on phone calls to Jumia, I am being asked to take a loss by Jumia.

I for one will never buy anything on Jumia again. Well, you might have a different experience from me though. But, at your own risk.
Buyers beware - online shopping in Nigeria is still very far from okay. But in my own opinion, the likes of Jumia are not doing enough to gain customer's confidence and trust.

For me, I should have just gone to pickup the items at a reliable store like - and save myself all this headache.

A word is enough for the wise...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by mayorkyzo: 10:53am On May 11, 2015
Sorry for ya experience..I've personally got stuffs on Jumia lots of times and have to say they've always met my expectations...got my phones and some shoes also...
Re: JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by opeaceo: 11:06am On May 11, 2015
I don't like the idea of buying house hold items online, the best thing is walk into a store, inspect whatever you are buying, if you're satisfied with the quality, pay for it.
Sometimes, what they post on their website is a far cry from what the items look like in reality.
Sorry for your experience.

2 Likes

Re: JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by WebMania: 11:28am On May 11, 2015
mayorkyzo:
Sorry for ya experience..I've personally got stuffs on Jumia lots of times and have to say they've always met my expectations...got my phones and some shoes also...

Thanks for your response. This is actually not an attempt to defame Jumia - Just sharing my experience, and hopefully someone seeing this will take a cue from it. Also, if Jumia sees this, it's an opportunity for them to correct this, and hope to get it right next time.

About your purchases, maybe if the shoe you got wasn't your size, and you had to return it, it might have been a different story...

The issue here is actually not so much that Jumia delivered "defective" items to me. This happens once in a while. The issue is that their proposed solution is flawed. I'm being asked to take a loss for an issue that was entirely 100% Jumia's mistake.

Even if Jumia can't compensate me for the mistake they made, they shouldn't be asking me to take a loss...
undecided cry

1 Like

Re: JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by WebMania: 11:30am On May 11, 2015
opeaceo:
I don't like the idea of buying house hold items online, the best thing is walk into a store, inspect whatever you are buying, if you're satisfied with the quality, pay for it.
Sometimes, what they post on their website is a far cry from what the items look like in reality.

I totally agree with you. I have learnt this the hard way.
In this case, the item was labelled clearly labelled "Wireless Home Theater" - very bold. But, If you want, I can upload pictures - there was nothing wireless about what was delivered to me.

I mean, I've been buying things online since 2010. This is the first time I'm buying online in Nigeria, and I will never try it again.
Lesson learnt sad

1 Like

Re: JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by jazz04(m): 5:35pm On May 11, 2015
WebMania:
As someone used to buying stuff online from Amazon, Ebay, etc. I decided to give online purchases in Nigeria a try.
Since Jumia has been making so much noise lately, and their prices seem to be good, I decided to shop on Jumia - Big Mistake.

I placed orders for a Wireless Home Theater and Air Conditioner. The orders were delivered fast enough. But unfortunately, that was where the good part ended. I was not at home to personally receive the item, but sent someone to receive it for me.

On getting back home, I opened the package, and to my dismay, the Home Theater delivered did not have wireless speakers. Also, for the a/c, on opening the package, the item looked used - it was dirty and I could see signs that suggested that it wasn't "new".

Now, Jumia insists it must give me a voucher that is worth N2,000 less than the items I bought. Also, since the prices of the items have changed, the voucher can not even purchase the same items I bought on Jumia anymore.

So, coupled with the time wasted, the money spent on phone calls to Jumia, I am being asked to take a loss by Jumia.

I for one will never buy anything on Jumia again. Well, you might have a different experience from me though. But, at your own risk.
Buyers beware - online shopping in Nigeria is still very far from okay. But in my own opinion, the likes of Jumia are not doing enough to gain customer's confidence and trust.

For me, I should have just gone to pickup the items at a reliable store like - and save myself all this headache.

bro, you not alone on this. There's this 3000 voucher called VIP voucher...I used it,and the order never came...jumia is a bloody scam..called them and they said the order was cancelled. lol.... and they claimed they tried to reach me..crazy people...I used the option of pickup station like I have always used and pay on delivery. in all orders I have made, I only get SMS to come for pickup.so why would they call me on this order? lol and no SMS came... I just thank God I didn't use Mastercard payment online. if not, they won't refund the money in cash. they would have refunded in voucher which will make me obliged to buying something from them, of which the voucher wil have an expiry date!
Re: JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by JumiaOnline(m): 7:14pm On May 11, 2015
WebMania:

We are sorry about your ordeal. May we have your order number to rectify the issue with your order please?

1 Like

Re: JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by ayoa123: 2:07pm On May 12, 2015
JumiaOnline:

We are sorry about your ordeal. May we have your order number to rectify the issue with your order please?

Oga give them your order number make peeps sabi say na truth. At least Jumia don respond to ya request finally.
Re: JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by Nobody: 2:57pm On May 12, 2015
The best kinda stuffs to buy on jumia are items like extra battery for a phone, screen protector, belt and co.

I once got a shoe that stood at quite a distance from its sole, their clothes are same as aliexpress chinco, memory cards are hardly real capacity.

Now you know better, next time tell the delivery guy to meet you wherever you are, if you don't like the item, don't collect it.

1 Like

Re: JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by krisjin(f): 4:12pm On May 12, 2015
Imanuelle:
The best kinda stuffs to buy on jumia are items like extra battery for a phone, screen protector, belt and co.

I once got a shoe that stood at quite a distance from its sole, their clothes are same as aliexpress chinco, memory cards are hardly real capacity.

Now you know better, next time tell the delivery guy to meet you wherever you are, if you don't like the item, don't collect it.

Why una too dey lie anyhow? Make we see prove abeg. Send us ya order details jare!!!
Re: JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by Nobody: 4:14pm On May 12, 2015
krisjin:

Why una too dey lie anyhow? Make we see prove abeg. Send us ya order details jare!!!

I've got nothing to prove to you.

Compréndé?
Re: JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by WebMania: 4:58pm On May 12, 2015
JumiaOnline:

ayoa123:

Oga give them your order number make peeps sabi say na truth. At least Jumia don respond to ya request finally.

These are my order numbers:
Home Theatre: 302362689‏
Air Conditioner: 306318689
Re: JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by WebMania: 5:11pm On May 12, 2015
ayoa123:

You want more proof?
I can even paste all the records of my emails to Jumia on this, but there's no point in doing that.
Re: JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by JumiaOnline(m): 5:44pm On May 12, 2015
WebMania:

Thanks for providing your details WebMania. We will speed up the refund process and revert to you. Kindly let us know when you get your refunds.

For further information, please contact our customer service team via 01-4604400 or 07006000000. Thanks.

Jumia Cares!
Re: JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by JumiaOnline(m): 7:32pm On May 12, 2015
WebMania:

Hi Webmania,

You have requested a replacement for 306318689, in which a replacement voucher has been created and sent to CS/Issues to assist you with a new order.

Also, a voucher for order 302362689 was initially created and sent to you. You have used the voucher on order 304739589 and order is currently picklisted to be packed and shipped to you soon. Thanks for your patience and patronage.

Jumia Cares!
Re: JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by tonjeola(m): 7:41pm On May 12, 2015
JumiaOnline:

Thanks for providing your details WebMania. We will speed up the refund process and revert to you. Kindly let us know when you get your refunds.

For further information, please contact our customer service team via 01-4604400 or 07006000000. Thanks.

Jumia Cares!
so if webmania didn't come here, there won't be solution? Na wa for una oo, must you wait for someone to complain on forum like this before you provide solution.

1 Like

Re: JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by WebMania: 8:09am On May 13, 2015
JumiaOnline:

Hi Webmania,
You have requested a replacement for 306318689, in which a replacement voucher has been created and sent to CS/Issues to assist you with a new order.
Also, a voucher for order 302362689 was initially created and sent to you. You have used the voucher on order 304739589 and order is currently picklisted to be packed and shipped to you soon. Thanks for your patience and patronage.
Jumia Cares!

Okay o. Thanks for your response. I will be observing.
But, all this is just English Language, until I receive the replacements.
Re: JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by jazz04(m): 11:52am On May 13, 2015
JumiaOnline:

Hi Webmania,

Jumia Cares!

so it takes someone to create a nairaland thread before you bloody scammers respond right?

1 Like

Re: JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by WebMania: 12:13pm On May 13, 2015
UPDATE:
I've gotten a call today from Jumia confirming that a new order has been placed for me as a replacement for the items.
I will keep observing - until i receive the items.

1 Like

Re: JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by JumiaOnline(m): 1:36pm On May 13, 2015
WebMania:
UPDATE:
I've gotten a call today from Jumia confirming that a new order has been placed for me as a replacement for the items.
I will keep observing - until i receive the items.

Thanks for your confirmation WebMania.
Re: JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by bayplus: 2:40pm On May 13, 2015
Well, I have bought several items from Jumia including 48 inch smart tv and home theatre and I have had no issue till date for two main reasons.

1, I have client officer who handles my orders and update me regularly until the items are delivered.

2, I pay cash on delivery, and must be physically available to check the items and confirm them ok no matter how hasty the delivey guy wants to be.

I wondered if webmania called the customer care to resolve her challenges first before coming to nairaland.

Jumia as a company may have some internal issues in logistics and personnel, while I am not holding brief for the company, I know they sometimes process over 40000 ordrrs within days, managing company of that status in nigeria will not be a child's play.

We are gradually growing in online shopping as a country, it will take a while to perfect their systems, though belated, at least, they are willing to rectify the fault, we know the kind of fraudulent scamming still going on with ATM dispenser in our banks these days, that will deduct money without releasing any cash and you will be asked to write multiple letters for months without getting refund. These are still the prices to pay for online transactions in our peculiar environment.

My suggestions.

Before you make order, request for a client officer/marketer, there are so many of them working on commission with Jumia. Let this person place the order for you not yourself and not online Just send the details of what you want to order to the marketer through what's app or other convenient means. The advantage of this person is that, when issues arise, theis person will most likely be able to solve it better as opposed to your dealing with the software to place your order.

Be sure you are both clear on the specifications of your order, dont give room to assumptions .

Ensure that your order will only be delivered when you or an equally competent person will be around to do a thorough check on the quality and specification before payment is made.

Shopping for electronics or electrical items Online is very convenient for me, it appears cheaper from my experience in comparison to buying in shops at Alaba or Oshodi, you can be swindled of your money too in the open market, and in case of Magaplaza, shoprite, park & shop etc, their prices are way higher for the same item and you still pay for all sorts of services and spend your time visiting their shop floors.

We all have our preferences anyway, despite little skemishes here and there, I will nonetheless still prefer online shopping, I use Jumia now but I look forward to more and more competition in the online shopping industry, that way, they will out-do each other to get customers and serve us better.

Online shopping is the vitually market of now and the future wether we like it or not.
Re: JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by WebMania: 4:06pm On May 13, 2015
Hey bayplus, quite a lengthy one there. Very well said.

I'm sure I've called Jumia Customer Service over 20 times already, and sent over 25 mails. The issue is that you keep speaking to different persons who don't have any background on the issue. So, you have begin afresh each time you call.

You're right about the marketer option. It would solve a lot of issues being that there is someone you can personally hold responsible if anything goes wrong. Maybe next time I'd take this route, which due to my experience with this order might not be anytime soon.

Just that, I shop on other sites like Amazon and Aliexpress and I've never needed the help of a third-party agent to place an order or resolve issues. All issues are usually resolved promptly via online chat. But again, this is naija.

Though to be fair to Jumia, if you place an order and nothing goes wrong, you'd get your items early enough. The thing is, when something goes wrong with your order, it's an ordeal.

Thanks for the advice anyways. I'd be sure to keep it in mind.
Re: JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by ferhyntorlah(f): 4:49pm On May 13, 2015
opeaceo:
I second this.

1 Like

Re: JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by ferhyntorlah(f): 5:01pm On May 13, 2015
WebMania:

Okay o. Thanks for your response. I will be observing.
But, all this is just English Language, until I receive the replacements.
Phahahahahahahahahaha @ the bolded.
Re: JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by JumiaOnline(m): 5:03pm On May 13, 2015
bayplus:
Well, I have bought several items from Jumia including 48 inch smart tv and home theatre and I have had no issue till date for two main reasons.

1, I have client officer who handles my orders and update me regularly until the items are delivered.

2, I pay cash on delivery, and must be physically available to check the items and confirm them ok no matter how hasty the delivey guy wants to be.

I wondered if webmania called the customer care to resolve her challenges first before coming to nairaland.

Jumia as a company may have some internal issues in logistics and personnel, while I am not holding brief for the company, I know they sometimes process over 40000 ordrrs within days, managing company of that status in nigeria will not be a child's play.

We are gradually growing in online shopping as a country, it will take a while to perfect their systems, though belated, at least, they are willing to rectify the fault, we know the kind of fraudulent scamming still going on with ATM dispenser in our banks these days, that will deduct money without releasing any cash and you will be asked to write multiple letters for months without getting refund. These are still the prices to pay for online transactions in our peculiar environment.

My suggestions.

Before you make order, request for a client officer/marketer, there are so many of them working on commission with Jumia. Let this person place the order for you not yourself and not online Just send the details of what you want to order to the marketer through what's app or other convenient means. The advantage of this person is that, when issues arise, theis person will most likely be able to solve it better as opposed to your dealing with the software to place your order.

Be sure you are both clear on the specifications of your order, dont give room to assumptions .

Ensure that your order will only be delivered when you or an equally competent person will be around to do a thorough check on the quality and specification before payment is made.

Shopping for electronics or electrical items Online is very convenient for me, it appears cheaper from my experience in comparison to buying in shops at Alaba or Oshodi, you can be swindled of your money too in the open market, and in case of Magaplaza, shoprite, park & shop etc, their prices are way higher for the same item and you still pay for all sorts of services and spend your time visiting their shop floors.

We all have our preferences anyway, despite little skemishes here and there, I will nonetheless still prefer online shopping, I use Jumia now but I look forward to more and more competition in the online shopping industry, that way, they will out-do each other to get customers and serve us better.

Online shopping is the vitually market of now and the future wether we like it or not.

We appreciate your input bayplus. Thanks for your patronage too.
Re: JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by ferhyntorlah(f): 5:07pm On May 13, 2015
WebMania, I got my phone and accessories from Jumia in good condition. So I won't write them off totally. So if you hadn't opened this post, they wouldn't rectify their error? Social media, checking mating lapses and excesses.
Re: JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by laurenjones: 5:11pm On May 13, 2015
JUMIA BAD 1ST EXPERIENCE

Last month i called a JUMIA customer rep to help place an order for LG Home theatre and was told it would be delivered latest in 5days time as the delivery point was in the south-east. Omo, i cum withdraw salary keep for house hoping and waiting for jumia in order not to disappoint oo. After 2weeks of no show, angryi had to call their office and was told my order was cancelled becos they had run out of stock and the advert price had changed. JEZUZ!!, and you cudnt get back to me since then?? i yelled back. mtcheew!! i dint wait to listen to their "we are sorry for any ............. BULLSHIT!!" cryTHE worst part was that my fiancee came in from NYSC that same day and spent 2weeks with the money. I ll neva forgive JUMIA TILL they refund me

2 Likes

Re: JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by ferhyntorlah(f): 5:13pm On May 13, 2015
bayplus:
My suggestions.

At the bolded, you mean Jumia sales agent?
Re: JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by JumiaOnline(m): 6:35pm On May 13, 2015
laurenjones:
JUMIA BAD 1ST EXPERIENCE

Last month i called a JUMIA customer rep to help place an order for LG Home theatre and was told it would be delivered latest in 5days time as the delivery point was in the south-east. Omo, i cum withdraw salary keep for house hoping and waiting for jumia in order not to disappoint oo. After 2weeks of no show, angryi had to call their office and was told my order was cancelled becos they had run out of stock and the advert price had changed. JEZUZ!!, and you cudnt get back to me since then?? i yelled back. mtcheew!! i dint wait to listen to their "we are sorry for any ............. BULLSHIT!!" cryTHE worst part was that my fiancee came in from NYSC that same day and spent 2weeks with the money. I ll neva forgive JUMIA TILL they refund me

May we have your order number to review your claim please?
Re: JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by laurenjones: 8:43am On May 14, 2015
JumiaOnline:

May we have your order number to review your claim please?

The sales rep used my fone number as my order number and you dnt expect me to post that online and i also dont want to get anybody sacked. the order item was "LG BH 7530 Bluetooth Home Theatre system". TRUST IS VERY ESSENTIAL IN ONLINE BUSINESS, you dont have mine at the moment.

1 Like

Re: JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by WebMania: 9:30am On May 15, 2015
UPDATE:
The Home Theater was delivered to me yesterday. Good sound quality.
Still expecting the second order...

1 Like

Re: JUMIA: My First Time Buying On Jumia - A Disaster - Big Mistake by WebMania: 8:08am On May 18, 2015
UPDATE:
I received the second package on saturday. smiley
Thanks everyone. Thanks nairalanders. And, thanks Jumia - though the stress was much.
Do have a great week ahead.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Tops Us Money Laundering List / Abuja Securities And Commodities Exchange (asce) / CBN Ready To Sell Five Bailed Banks 100% To Foreign Investors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.