Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,082 members, 7,825,411 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:52 PM

Dress Code In Church - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Dress Code In Church (7688 Views)

Dont Be Deceived In Church Today Brethren. / The 10 Most AWKWARD Moments In Church / RCCG Pastors Have Started Implementing The Dress Code? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dress Code In Church by chumas(m): 4:25am On Sep 14, 2006
Hello everyone!! I do not really see anything wrong in what people wear to church. However, it is only right that you read the Bible first then dress up and go to church. If you think the Bible accepts what you just put on having finished reading it, then so be it. The Lord will judge you accordingly, so it is not for us to tell them what to wear. It's like reading/studying for an exam. If you have economics tomorrow, it is proper you refresh your memory with your lecture notes and text books, abi? Then in the morning you will still have those same materials with you until the examiners tell you to drop it outside and get seated, Good. So you see if we can prepare ourselves for a minor thing like exams, why can't we prepare ourselves for the biggest occassion like standing in the presence of God.

We all know how to dress in front of people we want to impress or get favours from so that is why we dress accordingly for job interviews. We prepare our speech with respect to what it is we are looking to achieve from delivering that speech. So please leave those girls alone, they know what they are doing. They WILL BE JUDGED accordingly, even the one that claims she worships with her stinking bra hanging out.

Chuma.
Re: Dress Code In Church by Obeto(m): 5:26pm On Sep 15, 2006
Even though there is no particular dress code for Church services, we shouldn't 4get decency and moderation. Have u ever heard this: "How u're dressed, is the way u're addressed". To face reality, it matters alot the way you dress, expecially to the presene of God. Personally I can't even go out with a girl that don't have decency in dressing in her thinkin faculty.

Don't 4get, guys are not left out of this. Those guys that are frying thier hair are really makin things very expensive for the ladies. lipsrsealed

Catch ya!
Re: Dress Code In Church by belindaow(f): 9:10pm On Sep 15, 2006
well it isn't good for girls for girls to come to the church half naked remember it is not a Brothel. it is called church
Re: Dress Code In Church by tomiwizzle(m): 9:29pm On Sep 15, 2006
chumas:

Hello everyone!! I do not really see anything wrong in what people wear to church. However, it is only right that you read the Bible first then dress up and go to church. If you think the Bible accepts what you just put on having finished reading it, then so be it. The Lord will judge you accordingly, so it is not for us to tell them what to wear. It's like reading/studying for an exam. If you have economics tomorrow, it is proper you refresh your memory with your lecture notes and text books, abi? Then in the morning you will still have those same materials with you until the examiners tell you to drop it outside and get seated, Good. So you see if we can prepare ourselves for a minor thing like exams, why can't we prepare ourselves for the biggest occassion like standing in the presence of God.

We all know how to dress in front of people we want to impress or get favours from so that is why we dress accordingly for job interviews. We prepare our speech with respect to what it is we are looking to achieve from delivering that speech. So please leave those girls alone, they know what they are doing. They WILL BE JUDGED accordingly, even the one that claims she worships with her stinking bra hanging out.

Chuma.

hey guy, take it easy, you know there should be no hating in the nigerian forum. We are just arguing things out. Radiant guess you have to be careful before you create some enemies in here. Well i believe it should be everyone to His/her own belief, besides it is a free world. everyone should make a choice but i believe modesty is all about life.
Re: Dress Code In Church by goodguy(m): 11:43pm On Sep 15, 2006
Ever since Grafikdon's post, I have not seen any post coming from the "it-doesnt-matter-how-I-dress" set of people. How funny!

@Grafikdon, preach on brother!
Re: Dress Code In Church by omot208(f): 8:08pm On Sep 16, 2006
we are always in God's presence. so we shld always be decently dressed. or isnt that true?
but when we go specially on sundays to worship, it is only rational that our minds should be on the best way to praise him and make requestsknown to him. if u want to ask your biological father a favour, say an allowance increase, would u do something he doesnt like while u were asking?
so if u decide to go in His presence, u might as well try to please him. and this means inwardly and outwardly.
Re: Dress Code In Church by Nobody: 9:27pm On Sep 17, 2006
Is it too important to have women in the same house of God at the same time? I don't go to church and it has stretched for like 7yrs now. Am happy I don't go cos' I will come home more infested and contaminated. The upshot is to stay off. Women are designed to bring men down. And what is new with that? They do what you don't like so fake weaknesses, people.
Re: Dress Code In Church by Radiant(f): 11:14pm On Sep 17, 2006
Tomiwizzle, you be''er back off otherwise you'll be my number 1 enemy grin
Re: Dress Code In Church by sparkle2k3: 2:06pm On Sep 18, 2006
[color=#000099][/color]

half naked dressing to church is bad,
you can stay at home and worship God if you dont have any decent wear,than go to church and make people murmur.
Re: Dress Code In Church by goodguy(m): 9:43pm On Sep 18, 2006
BTW, why does everyone seem to be talking about the dress code for females only? What about the males? Or is this to say men dress far more decently than the women, that dusts shouldn't be raised over their own issues? (More like it wink).
Re: Dress Code In Church by stormz(m): 8:42am On Sep 19, 2006
shush for a mo' peeps

did y'all hear about some muslims in london aiming to kill the pope coz aparently he sed some stuff bout dem
n does dat mean dey'll start killing christians
yo im concerned,ma cousin lives there.
Re: Dress Code In Church by tomiwizzle(m): 9:46pm On Sep 19, 2006
well to attest to what i said some few days ago. Was in church on sunday and i was almost going blind. The babes that sat in the row just before mine were who i can call professional hookers and can you imagine that for the whole period the service was on thay wer chewing gum and gisting laughing out loud to draw attention. The usher tried but no result. After service Approached them and asked them both what they gained today. But all they could say was bla bla bla, end of story. as for Radiant not everybody is meant to like you so if you count me as an enemy bigups to you men more greese to your elbow. You fall into the same category with the girls I am speaking of. they turned my enemy straight cos i told them the truth. wink
Re: Dress Code In Church by belindaow(f): 10:57pm On Sep 19, 2006
Radiant:

Tomiwizzle, you be''er back off otherwise you'll be my number 1 enemy grin

He is just try to be a peace maker don't have to bite hard. Well girls nowadays believe that to get what you want go the extra mile so they do it to the extent of bringing their crazy dressing into the church the holly place of God. Want to ask a quetsion. Can they dress like that to the mosque? i bet you sharia would take place almost Immediately.
Re: Dress Code In Church by Radiant(f): 12:56am On Sep 20, 2006
tomiwizzle:

as for Radiant not everybody is meant to like you so if you count me as an enemy bigups to you men more greese to your elbow. You fall into the same category with the girls I am speaking of. they turned my enemy straight because i told them the truth. wink
*SIGHS* I wish I had the nerves for people like u. Can someone pls help me here *yawns* tongue
Re: Dress Code In Church by tomiwizzle(m): 9:31pm On Sep 20, 2006
winkjus
Re: Dress Code In Church by beebop(f): 11:34pm On Sep 20, 2006
I'm gonna have fun with this

Assuming you go to church for communion with your god, why should you get distracted by what other people wear

In summary of the inane remarks in this thread generally. Of course you are going to go to heaven with your up and down coverup and those others who are less holy (like the one with the stinking bra) than thou are going to hell because they are so obviously sinners and everyone knows what happens to sinners. THEY SHALL DIE

please. i don blow my grammar finish. Have fun figuring out what the colour of your halo should be,
oh and yeah, to the pastor in the house with the entire bible on speed dial, please stop bringing out all this submissive wife yarn, it's boring and sorry i'm not the submissive type
Re: Dress Code In Church by goodguy(m): 11:09pm On Sep 21, 2006
beebop:

Assuming you go to church for communion with your God, why should you get distracted by what other people wear

This does not make any sense.

Assuming you go to church for communion with your God,

Why should you get distracted by some people talking behind you?
Why should you get distracted by the fly hovering around your head?
Why should you be disturbed by what your pastor uses your tithes for?
Why should you even take note of your surroundings at all?
Re: Dress Code In Church by tundefajim(m): 11:42pm On Sep 21, 2006
You will be distracted because you are a human being,
Every one who comes to know Christ is struggling with his/her natural man - the sinful nature which makes the person sin.

We've been told in the bible to avoid being stumbling blocks to our brothers and sisters (especially those still growing).
I've been in orthodox churches and pentecostal churches as well, and noticed the problems.

I believe that the over-reliance of dressing as a definite proof of holiness is misleading and can lead to self-righteousness, but also the belief that God is 'blind' to our outward appearance is self-indulging. We are told to "let your moderation be known to men", and I also like the Scripture that says "do not let your brother stumble because you have freedom to eat meat (applies to dressing as well)".

Finally, we are told not to ", conform to the ways of the world, but be transformed by the renewing of our minds". So, if a person's idea of self-beauty, dressing, success etc. are determined by magazines (Ebony, Vogue, etc.), TV (Oprah, soaps, etc) and movies (most), you can bet that the world is determining your mindset and your reactions. That's the key: weighing the source of your actions and reactions.

Also God sees the heart, so he knows our deepest motives and hidden skeletons. Many times we can deceive ourselves, pulling the wool over our own eyes to prevent facing the reality behind our actions. I don't pretend to be perfect, but I know that "I can do all things thrugh Christ who strengthens me!", including going directly against my desires to avoid pleasing the flesh.

Sorry if I sound preachy, but we really have to face these things. Only through His grace can we survive each day without hurting Him or breaking His commands (Love one another). It is hard: remember the earth remains the devil's kingdom till Christ comes. So, unfortunately everything we see out there isn't exactly put there to help us get to heaven or grow as Christ's followers.

One of the hardest thing is to surrender your desires and naturally self-satisfying tendencies to God's Will and purpose, even if it seems unpleasant. God's pleasure must be paramount. I say this to all of us, even myself. Anthing less than this is not acceptable! But thank God for grace and for Jesus Christ, our Messiah.

Let us recognize we're in a battle. The bible says so explicitly and says "the flesh and the Spirit are constantly in struggle" and can never agree. God help us and have mercy on us,
Re: Dress Code In Church by feelgood(m): 9:41am On Sep 22, 2006
grin grin grin Quite a lot of the postings here are funny. To the sisters and brothers who see nothing wrong in
wearing skimpies to church, don't you think it is cool to instead wear bikinis and topless to church? Especially
as it is a matter of choice. Betterr still, I think we should go back to the early ages and wear leaves or nothing at all
not only in the church, but office, school, market, practically everrywhere!!

Oh, pls give me a break you jokers and let's get sensible. Be cool
Re: Dress Code In Church by Backslider(m): 10:23am On Sep 22, 2006
@ feelgood,

Ok since you say we should walk with leaves and not wear clothing we should also have sex on the streets in the glare of our children.

The clothes are supposed to be won in the bedroom for you and your husband simple and short. Why do we like to run away from reason when it comes to the matter of Holiness.

Holiness is a simple matter but yet still it is been made very difficult by Norminal christians. God sew the first real clothes for us and Blood was shed to cover our SINS and unclothedness THE PHYSICAL AND THE SPIRITUAL. So read the bible.

There is nothing wrong in wearing all those Funny clothing if only it is in your room with your husband as the soul admirer it is not for your kids or anyone else.
Re: Dress Code In Church by feelgood(m): 11:15am On Sep 22, 2006
Backslider cheesy, apparently you didn't understand my post. We are saying the same thing - I just used a different
language style. Just thought I could make the folks see the stupidity of the idea of wearing skimpies to church
when same 'free choice' people would find it repugnant to wear bikinis to office, etc.

Hope you understand now Backslider. Ever heard of the words 'sarcasm' and 'satire'?

Remain cool
Re: Dress Code In Church by donmayor(m): 6:08pm On Sep 22, 2006
I once heard a pastor say this and I stick with it 100% that if what you wear is a frame for your face i.e it attracts people to ur face, it's godly and God loves it but if your clothing is a frame for your body, it's sensual and God hates it.
Re: Dress Code In Church by JAMESM1(m): 9:22am On Jan 19, 2007
DRESS CODE IN D CHURCH DOESN'T MATTERS WHAT MATTERS IS HEART OF A MAN,
AFTER ALL CHRIST CAME TO DIE FOR SINNERS.
Re: Dress Code In Church by shahan(f): 8:24pm On Jan 19, 2007
@JAMES,

When you read I Tim. 2:9 that, "women adorn themselves in modest apparel,"does it sound to you like the Bible said it doesn't matter how we dress as Christians?
Re: Dress Code In Church by mrpataki(m): 8:43pm On Jan 19, 2007
This is what pisses me off, as christians, reading what the author of this topic said in the beginning, am not so interested in adding my inputs to it!

Is Dress Code in Church a "HE" thing or a "SHE" thing. We are all too biased as we see it from just a single view point.

Let your moderation be known unto all men in respective of gender here, even those who are eager to look around as well in the church!
Re: Dress Code In Church by shahan(f): 8:52pm On Jan 19, 2007
lol, @mrpataki.

That one line to JAMES should not be understood as polarised to a specific gender between the sexes. It seemed to me that he didn't quite know where he was coming from, and I thought if we started with just one aspect, he might begin to see some sense.

In hindsight, most of the concerns about dress codes that lead to stumbling among the brethren could be viewed from the fact that women sometimes dress provocatively - and most that do so actually try to justify their seductions. Men and women ought to share equal level of concerns about the messages our dress codes are sending out. And by starting off with I Tim. 2:9, I was appealing to our gender to take this issue seriously enough to exude propriety as fitting for godly women.

Cool, and don't get pissed! cheesy

Cheers.
Re: Dress Code In Church by mrpataki(m): 8:59pm On Jan 19, 2007
@ My Astute Shahan,
That piece was actually not meant for you. I know you know better wink

Dont want to mention names, but the author of the topicstands as a major culprit from the beginning.
Re: Dress Code In Church by shahan(f): 9:04pm On Jan 19, 2007
Okay, sir. cheesy
Re: Dress Code In Church by Nobody: 8:28pm On Oct 28, 2008
No offense but I noticed that the Redeemed members , the females wear hats. Bogus, huge, feathered, big hats. Th e ushers, black and white as usual. undecided
Re: Dress Code In Church by Gamine(f): 8:37pm On Oct 28, 2008
I was gonna ask the question too.

is it wrong to wear Jeans on a sunday

wats the difference between Sunday service and Midweek service
Re: Dress Code In Church by muffins(f): 12:11am On Oct 30, 2009
So this poster goes to church to stare at what is indecent. cry
Re: Dress Code In Church by alimat2(f): 1:00pm On Oct 30, 2009
HMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm? shocked shocked shocked

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sandy Hook Was Referenced In Batman Movie / Baptism Of The Holy Spirit. Sermon And Prayer Points By Pastor E A Adeboye / Dr. Godwin Maduka Felicitates With Nigeria At Easter, Preaches Unity, Patriotism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.