Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,678 members, 7,816,778 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:56 PM

Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language (29805 Views)

Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? / White Students Of Yoruba Language At Wisconsin University (Photo) / Nigeria's National Anthem In Yoruba Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by Lushore1: 5:11pm On May 12, 2015
Watch "Meeting of Orisha Shrines in Trinidad" on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Mrn3jkjJ0

quimicababes:

Nice.I have watch the Osun Osogbo festival in Osun State and it was nice.I realized quite a bit of foreign Ifa folks participated in it.I am not an Ifa follower but places like Osogbo and Ile Ife and African museums I would totally be willing to visit.

I think they need to improve facilities..paved roads,not big hotels if they can't afford it but little bed and breakfast sheds like we have in the Caribbean that is supported by Osun indigenes.Selling Yoruba foods etc.Quite a bit of Black folks are interested in reconnecting with Africa and Yoruba culture is ripe to tap into that yearning.

When tourists come to Naija or anywhere else they usually prefer to experience the country's culture with modern conveniences.White folks prefer our bed and breakfast and eating our local foods when they visit here once they can get the modern conveniences such as water,electricity,internet etc.

Yoruba language is taught here in Trinidad where I am from.

Example of a bed and breakfast here in the Caribbean.They use Amerindian architecture btw which uses trees for roofing as in African cultures.

9 Likes

Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by scholes0(m): 5:11pm On May 12, 2015
The governor (Aregbesola) is already doing that I believe
he is trying to market Osun state to the world, as the stopover point for anybody who would like to learn about Yoruba people and culture. Only recently has there been some levels of improvements in accommodation and hosting facilities, but places like Osogbo are getting the modern facilities they need to host foreign visitors. The funny thing is that despite the low standard of accommodation facilities that existed before, it didn't deter foreign visitors that keep increasing every time from coming...... I think Carribbean, Central and South American visitors and even North American Blacks, are not as picky/choosy as Europeas and other whites. They can understand the plight of African countries, and they just blend in. They can put up with sub-standard services and are more than happy to connect with Africans, not minding service quality. This is a good thing i believe.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by Nobody: 5:24pm On May 12, 2015
Lushore1:

Great advise!, this is exactly what im expecting the governoon of the state to start doing...

You don't have to wait for the governor though.Just make sure he puts in adequate roads.Yoruba folks can form themselves into a cooperative societies to pool their monies if no one can foot the amount entirely and build a bed and breakfast.I am sure you all still have folks who can build those sort of roofs and are good with wood.Start off small.

I know naija have problems with the government providing water but I know you all put in boreholes.Collecting rain water is a good option...quite a bit of us do it in the Caribbean despite our government providing us with water which are stored in tanks.I think that option is more sustainable than boreholes.You just need a filter.

Some of those redneck folks be perfecting living like kings whilst being off grid in the USA.Perhaps if you look into what they are doing it can help in naija where the government offers little to no services.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by Nobody: 5:30pm On May 12, 2015
scholes0:
The governor (Aregbesola) is already doing that I believe
he is trying to market Osun state to the world, as the stopover point for anybody who would like to learn about Yoruba people and culture. Only recently has there been some levels of improvements in accommodation and hosting facilities, but places like Osogbo are getting the modern facilities they need to host foreign visitors. The funny thing is that despite the low standard of accommodation facilities that existed before, it didn't deter foreign visitors that keep increasing every time from coming...... I think Carribbean, Central and South American visitors and even North American Blacks, are not as picky/choosy as Europeas and other whites. They can understand the plight of African countries, and they just blend in. They can put up with sub-standard services and are more than happy to connect with Africans, not minding service quality. This is a good thing i believe.

Hahahah...so true with Caribbean folks..we be knowing the hard life so we don't take things personal lol.That's great the governor is doing that but the private Yoruba folks also need to mobilize also so they won't lose out.Big hotels are kool but they can also co-exist with the small bed and breakfast places.It would be great if he can provide a fund for them to create little bed and breakfast or to improve what they have...our government did that for us to improve our facilities.

I just think Yorbua folks are sitting on a goldmine in terms of culture which is a sector we also trying to diversify into since our oil and gas is running out lol.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by Nobody: 5:43pm On May 12, 2015
Lushore1:
Watch "Meeting of Orisha Shrines in Trinidad" on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Mrn3jkjJ0

Saw this video before.I am well aware we have a good bit of Ifa devotees..know three of them personally.That population is one of the major reasons why Yoruba is taught here since they have a market.

Would be nice if we had a direct flight to Ghana or Naija..the last Prime Minister was working on it but it fell through.I know Cuba has a route though to Ghana.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by kindnyce(m): 7:40pm On May 12, 2015
YORUBA LINGUA GOING PLACES SINCE 400 AD

HOPE HATERS WONT CAUSE COMMOTIONS grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by pansophist(m): 7:42pm On May 12, 2015
But Yorubas study in English not in Yoruba. And the average Yoruba kid will prefer learn foreign language than Yoruba.

Promote the language at home first before offshore, charity begins at home. Same old story
Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by Yabaleft: 7:46pm On May 12, 2015
where is scandidiva? I dont have google on my laptop cry cry
Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by sikaxchange: 7:46pm On May 12, 2015
i am so so so proud right now to be a nigerian

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by africanusvu(m): 7:46pm On May 12, 2015
Yoruba language,dying in nigeria resureting in fishing villages of scandinavia,Confusion in d land
Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by NewNigeriaMind: 7:49pm On May 12, 2015
Omo yoruba ni emi o

Swaggar

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by samuelson06(m): 7:49pm On May 12, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
That's good we need Africa to be projected in Europe in a positive light

Yea. Eventhough I don't understand much of Yoruba language, I think this is a welcome development. For the first time, I see Gani's name being associated with something good. I think Change has come to stay.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by samuelson06(m): 7:50pm On May 12, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
That's good we need Africa to be projected in Europe in a positive light

Yea. Eventhough I don't understand much of Yoruba language, I think this is a welcome development. For the first time, I see Gani's name being associated with something good, I think Change has come to stay.
Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by africanusvu(m): 7:50pm On May 12, 2015
Yabaleft:
where is scandidiva? I dont have google on my laptop cry cry
an island in antarctica,population is 246000,majorly fishermen,migrated from Biafra but now claimed by d Yorubas,another civil war loading........
Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by Yabaleft: 7:52pm On May 12, 2015
africanusvu:
an island in antarctica,population is 246000,majorly fishermen,migrated from Biafra

Thank you!
Now i know what to say if anyone ever ask me what is scandidiva. kiss
Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by free2ryhme: 7:55pm On May 12, 2015

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by africanusvu(m): 7:56pm On May 12, 2015
Yabaleft:

Thank you!
Now i know what to say if anyone ever ask me what is scandidiva. kiss
Good boy
Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by masseratti: 8:03pm On May 12, 2015
coolzeal:
So as every other tribes. Though, I've to admit my tribe fell of the cliff politically. It's a beautiful thing when people make certain progress or success as it build some sort of awareness to others to clinched to whatever they believe in. I love progress and everyone should celebrate a triumphant.
God bless you, I assume you are Igbo,the problem is that most of Igbos like you don't cone out to speak, you will be amazed the kind of bond between a hausa guy and an Igbo guy anytime they are outside Nigeria,no one can dismiss the achievements of Igbos in commerce,education and recently manufacturing, we need to celebrate ourselves especially southern Nigeria,we need to do away with the animosity of previous indepedence,we need to have health competition among ourselves,and stop this bring him down mentality,my Yoruba people need to wake up and stop living in the past,if the crap being taught in public primary schools in the southwest is what we are happy about,truth is we are doomed,Oyo state is the size of all the southeast states,but truth is they have more infrastructure development if we base it on geographical level,Yorubas, our leaders, our Obas need to wake up,there is poverty everywhere in Yoruba land.

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by lwise(m): 8:14pm On May 12, 2015
agadez007:
lies from the pit of hell,,if i hear yoruba are the most educated in Nigeria

Ok,tell me something, is it the cattle rearer or the okrika seller?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by darejem4real: 8:15pm On May 12, 2015
I'm happy and fulfilled
Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by Rotimi47: 8:21pm On May 12, 2015
Pheals:
Some we be here now to blast o..

Yoruba my beloved language ! We remain the most educated tribe in Nigeria...we are moving forward
Big time.
Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by timilehing(m): 8:25pm On May 12, 2015
captainBIAFRA:
Congrats then!
Hoping they don't throw you guys into the Scandinavian Lagoon Ocean someday grin wink
They won't as long as we're not calling their country no man's land cos of their hospitality.

10 Likes

Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by hugafella(m): 8:25pm On May 12, 2015
Absolute thrash
Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by MzJackBaueress(f): 8:26pm On May 12, 2015
This is what Gani Adams should be doing instead of meddling in politics
Re: Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language by Dewze(m): 8:27pm On May 12, 2015
"Oodua" Progressive Union, representing Nigeria? Wonders.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Zamfara Traditional Ruler Flogs Men In Public For Stealing. Photos / Colorful Pictures Of Onitsha Ofala Festival As American Missions Visits- PICS / Ovie Richard Ogbon Celebrates 105th Birthday (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.