Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,594 members, 7,812,944 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:14 PM

Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? (45132 Views)

Breast Ironing! Woman’s Inhumanity To Woman In The Name Of Culture / Warning !!! Desist From Spreading Your Clothes Outside in the Night. / Breast Ironing – Girls Face Mutilation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by onnybee: 11:46pm On Mar 23, 2016
From what I could gather, this is a practice carried out mainly here in Africa that involves the use of instruments such as pestles, hot grinding stones, bananas, coconut shells, spatulas and coal-heated hammers to press, massage and crush the developing breast tissues of many young girls at the early stage of puberty. shocked

This is done to prevent them from being attractive to males and hence prevent rape and other forms of sexual abuse.

This ‘culture’ is widespread in Cameroon and other African countries including Kenya, Benin and Ivory coast, and affects around 3.8 million teenagers overall according to the United Nations.

Breast ironing is usually performed by the victim’s mother on the basis that she is trying to protect the girl from sexual harassment and rape, to avert early pregnancy that would smear the family name, or to let the girl go after education instead of being forced into early marriage.

This practice is extremely painful and the girls are put at risk of tissue damage and cysts, malformed breasts, and in extreme cases it can cause one or both breasts to disappear. cry

There are worries that breast ironing has spread to the diaspora with an increase in the number of cases in Britain though charities, NGOs and human right groups are working to raise awareness concerning the problem.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by Temidayo9(m): 12:10am On Mar 24, 2016
Are u kidding me?

12 Likes

Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by Nobody: 12:21am On Mar 24, 2016
Never heard of this until now........ Unbelievable!!

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by onnybee: 12:31am On Mar 24, 2016
Though it sounds very absurd, it is very true and i'll put it at par with female circumcision. Women dey suffer sha!

12 Likes

Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by oppybouy(m): 12:36am On Mar 24, 2016
You've gotta be kidding me

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by munchi(m): 12:41am On Mar 24, 2016
it's true.....especially illiterate mums

10 Likes

Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by uhalauju(f): 2:42am On Mar 24, 2016
what!! Dis is not only preposterous but barbaric. Who still does DAT in dis 21st century

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by Nobody: 3:57am On Mar 24, 2016
Paedophiles now on the run

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by onnybee: 6:52am On Mar 24, 2016
uhalauju:
what!! Dis is not only preposterous but barbaric. Who still does DAT in dis 21st century

A lot of people are living in the 21st century but their mentalities are stuck way back.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by DickDastardly(m): 8:03am On Mar 27, 2016
I recommend this for all them Nigerian runs girls!

Wheither this go make them Sugar Daddies prick stay one place angry

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by petkoffdrake2(m): 8:03am On Mar 27, 2016
I blame buhari..... angry

Shikehna!
Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by realmindz: 8:03am On Mar 27, 2016
Why AFRICA, why? why have u chosen a barbaric way of life...then they will say we have beautiful cultures....

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by Nobody: 8:03am On Mar 27, 2016
Is this still prevalent?
I guess not.
Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by udy4real(m): 8:04am On Mar 27, 2016
Unbelievable
Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by seacoast(m): 8:04am On Mar 27, 2016
Odi egwu
Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by iyaka2344: 8:04am On Mar 27, 2016
shocked chai!! Why Africa dey always give oyinbo wetin to talk about us

2 Likes

Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by jmichlins(m): 8:04am On Mar 27, 2016
So many african country needs to be colonised again by nigeria

9 Likes

Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by Histrings08(m): 8:05am On Mar 27, 2016
Haaaaa.... Ikunle abiamo oooooo
Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by Treash(m): 8:05am On Mar 27, 2016
k
Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by majamajic(m): 8:06am On Mar 27, 2016
Its very common in Cameroon

1 Like

Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by kelvee(m): 8:06am On Mar 27, 2016
Chei..ladies like 'cossy orjiakor' are living testimonies!... grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by Morhziez(m): 8:06am On Mar 27, 2016
Jantamata kaba kaba eee eehehehe kaba kaba

1 Like

Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by Nobody: 8:07am On Mar 27, 2016
this is act of wickedness shocked

2 Likes

Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by majamajic(m): 8:07am On Mar 27, 2016
jmichlins:
So many african country needs to be colonised again by nigeria

And Nigeria needs to be colonized again by France this time grin grin

1 Like

Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by sweetval: 8:08am On Mar 27, 2016
Not fair..
Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by ExAngel007(f): 8:09am On Mar 27, 2016
my GOD
Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by seyinaira: 8:09am On Mar 27, 2016
This is total madness
Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by tottinova: 8:12am On Mar 27, 2016
onnybee:
From what I could gather, this is a practice carried out mainly here in Africa that involves the use of instruments such as pestles, hot grinding stones, bananas, coconut shells, spatulas and coal-heated hammers to press, massage and crush the developing breast tissues of many young girls at the early stage of puberty. shocked

This is done to prevent them from being attractive to males and hence prevent rape and other forms of sexual abuse.

This ‘culture’ is widespread in Cameroon and other African countries including Kenya, Benin and Ivory coast, and affects around 3.8 million teenagers overall according to the United Nations.

Breast ironing is usually performed by the victim’s mother on the basis that she is trying to protect the girl from sexual harassment and rape, to avert early pregnancy that would smear the family name, or to let the girl go after education instead of being forced into early marriage.

This practice is extremely painful and the girls are put at risk of tissue damage and cysts, malformed breasts, and in extreme cases it can cause one or both breasts to disappear. cry

There are worries that breast ironing has spread to the diaspora with an increase in the number of cases in Britain though charities, NGOs and human right groups are working to raise awareness concerning the problem.

Anybody that iron presses my future wife's breast enh!
Thunder will kill that person.

Don't you know the female breast is my favorite female part.

But to be sincere, you think performing this dirty ritual will reduce sexual harassment or whatever they are trying to prevent

If people can rape 6 year old's and above, this ritual is useless

5 Likes

Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by Bawsse(m): 8:12am On Mar 27, 2016
Do wah u want with the boobbie, buh abeg make una no touch the nyash o...

On a more serious note tho, it's cause our governments have failed to do enough to curtail the menace of rapists and sexual harassments(both in the working place and otherwise), the people now have referred to what they feel is their best solution to it...

Don't blame them...

Buhari ur 1 year don start o
Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by Ekeeyhandsome(m): 8:15am On Mar 27, 2016
Happy birthday to me,i and myself and to everyone celebrating their birthday today as well.. bigger us financially and spiritually I pray..

Plz my lovely Nairalanders,show ur boi some love by liking my post for no reason..

15 Likes

Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by tosyne88(f): 8:15am On Mar 27, 2016
Unbelievable
Re: Breast Ironing- What Is This Horrid, Spreading Culture All About? by Rajosh(m): 8:15am On Mar 27, 2016
I'm just hearing this for the first time. Truly, Africa is really backward. This is why Donald Trump is spewing poo about Africans.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Memunat Omowunmi Badirat Olaitan And Their Twins In Saudi Arabia (pics) / Other Names For A Fool In Yoruba / Photos Of Nigerian Masquerade Spotted In Spain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.