Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,689 members, 7,823,943 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:53 PM

10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... (26767 Views)

Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers / Travel Tips For First Time Flyers / Mistakes Made By First Timers Travelling By Air (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by Jovago: 4:23pm On May 12, 2015
If you listen to Nigerian comedy, you most probably have the impression that Warri is the most aggressive city in Nigeria, as it is dangerous and crime ridden and its inhabitants are mostly belligerent. According to the Vanguard Newspaper, ‘that the oil city of Warri, Delta State is perhaps the most hazardous metropolis in Southern Nigeria, is doubtless.’, but like most stereotypes this is not completely true. The city might have some security issues considering the degree of kidnapping and robbery incidents recorded in the past years, however, it is a wonderful place to visit and explore as it offers many sights for tourists, including the Delta Ports, Nana Living History Museum and Red Mangrove swamp. Again, as the commercial capital city of Delta State and one of the major hubs of petroleum activities and trades in the southern Nigeria, it offers business opportunities to many of its visitors. While Warri is actually not as bad as is portrayed and residents are very accommodating, it is important to be objective and stay careful while visiting. In that regard, Jovago.com, Africa’s No. 1 online hotel booking portal has compiled safety tips for people visiting Warri for the first time.

Ensure you have pre-arranged airport pick-up: The airport is usually crammed with peddlers and most of them who pose as cab guys would offer to drive you. Many people have been robbed of their Visa, money and belonging in this fashion. Always make arrangements for pickup before you arrive, there are a number of cab companies you can patronize online. Alternatively, you can call the hotel you booked and request for a hotel pickup.

Do not indulge helpers at the airport. Usually, when you arrive at the airport, a lot of people rush to offer some form or assistance -either to carry your luggage’s or assist you with information. Most times, their offers are exceedingly cheap or enticing. Beware of these ‘helpers’ as they could be robbers. Be careful of touts offering their services at a ridiculously cheap price, because it will most likely lead you to being duped or robbed. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Also, exchange all your money, if you need to, within the airport as there is a higher chance of being conned outside the airport.

Don’t be afraid to wander. Pretty much nowhere in Warri is off-limits – though it is still an urban area, so you would want to use common sense (for instance, you may not want to walk around any area alone at 3 a.m.). Most of Warri, with the exception of a few downtown neighborhoods is clearly laid out, making it extremely easy to find your way around. Do not be afraid to wander, take out time to carefully explore the city.

Avoid drawing attention to yourself. Do not stand on street corners looking at maps or doing anything as quirky. Do your best to walk self-confidently, as this will deter many criminals. When in doubt of your destination or the safety of a neighborhood, take a cab. Alternatively, if you feel uncomfortable or lost, approach a police officer or a friendly store owner (in a public place) to get your bearings or directions.

Do not take lifts. Warri residents might be accommodating and helpful, but it is advisable not to stretch the hospitality. Do not take lifts from anyone, no matter how friendly or original they seem.

Do not fake the pidgin. Warri is known nationwide for its unique Pidgin English. When you are in Warri, you might be tempted to fake the pidgin in a bid to flow with the locals. Aside from the fact that you would sound extremely funny, it is not a good idea as a failed attempt will instantly mark you out as a foreigner or tourist.

Don’t be a bottleneck. In Warri, everybody seems to be in a haste and people want to complete their tasks as soon as possible. Try to stay away from situations that will cause a delay for any other person (especially the locals) as that might put you in a disagreement…and you do not want that. For instance if you are taking a bus or any other public transport system, have your change. There’s a special level of perdition reserved for people who waste 30 seconds of everyone else’s time with their fumbling. Also, if there is a wait for something or a bottleneck, don’t mob it – form a line. And when a line has been formed do not try to cut it. Seriously.

Be Sharp. You need to be cautious at all times, especially if you are in a crowded place. Always keep your wallet in your front pocket, rather than the back, and keep your purse closed and held in front of you or on the side.

Don’t flaunt jewelry, cameras, your smart phone or cash in public. If you need to organize your wallet, look for a hidden corner or wait till you get back to the safe confines of your hotel room.

Use caution when using ATMs and do not carry large amounts of cash around with you . The city is quite modern and most places accept credit cards. There are also ATMs everywhere.

Have you been to Warri and you have extra tips for first time visitors? Please share !!!

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by Xslaze3xd(m): 4:45pm On May 12, 2015
Do not go to this part of Warri, namely; Igbudu/Iyara/Merogun/Hausa Quarter...b Dem go thief you leave only ur underwear

Cc: lalasticlala

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by asumo12: 5:06pm On May 12, 2015
ffo and okooloyun1 will comment next

MEANWHILE KEEP CALM AND SUPPORT...

MY SIGNATURE

Xslaze3xd:
Do not go to this part of Warri, namely; Igbudu/Iyara/Merogun/Hausa Quarter...b Dem go thief you leave only ur underwear

Cc: lalasticlala
Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by free2ryhme: 5:06pm On May 12, 2015
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by Tonniey(m): 5:06pm On May 12, 2015
All these checks just because i wanna visit warri for the first time!!!!!
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by tobtap: 5:06pm On May 12, 2015
summary- SHINE UR EYES shocked

11 Likes

Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by Nobody: 5:06pm On May 12, 2015
so all i heard about them is true I thought it was just a joke with the sentence *WARRI BOYZ DEY HERE*

they are really desperate

2 Likes

Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by free2ryhme: 5:06pm On May 12, 2015
Jovago:
If you listen to Nigerian comedy, you most probably have the impression that Warri is the most aggressive city in Nigeria, as it is dangerous and crime ridden and its inhabitants are mostly belligerent. According to the Vanguard Newspaper, ‘that the oil city of Warri, Delta State is perhaps the most hazardous metropolis in Southern Nigeria, is doubtless.’, but like most stereotypes this is not completely true. The city might have some security issues considering the degree of kidnapping and robbery incidents recorded in the past years, however, it is a wonderful place to visit and explore as it offers many sights for tourists, including the Delta Ports, Nana Living History Museum and Red Mangrove swamp. Again, as the commercial capital city of Delta State and one of the major hubs of petroleum activities and trades in the southern Nigeria, it offers business opportunities to many of its visitors. While Warri is actually not as bad as is portrayed and residents are very accommodating, it is important to be objective and stay careful while visiting. In that regard, Jovago.com, Africa’s No. 1 online hotel booking portal has compiled safety tips for people visiting Warri for the first time.

Ensure you have pre-arranged airport pick-up: The airport is usually crammed with peddlers and most of them who pose as cab guys would offer to drive you. Many people have been robbed of their Visa, money and belonging in this fashion. Always make arrangements for pickup before you arrive, there are a number of cab companies you can patronize online. Alternatively, you can call the hotel you booked and request for a hotel pickup.

Do not indulge helpers at the airport. Usually, when you arrive at the airport, a lot of people rush to offer some form or assistance -either to carry your luggage’s or assist you with information. Most times, their offers are exceedingly cheap or enticing. Beware of these ‘helpers’ as they could be robbers. Be careful of touts offering their services at a ridiculously cheap price, because it will most likely lead you to being duped or robbed. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Also, exchange all your money, if you need to, within the airport as there is a higher chance of being conned outside the airport.

Don’t be afraid to wander. Pretty much nowhere in Warri is off-limits – though it is still an urban area, so you would want to use common sense (for instance, you may not want to walk around any area alone at 3 a.m.). Most of Warri, with the exception of a few downtown neighborhoods is clearly laid out, making it extremely easy to find your way around. Do not be afraid to wander, take out time to carefully explore the city.

Avoid drawing attention to yourself. Do not stand on street corners looking at maps or doing anything as quirky. Do your best to walk self-confidently, as this will deter many criminals. When in doubt of your destination or the safety of a neighborhood, take a cab. Alternatively, if you feel uncomfortable or lost, approach a police officer or a friendly store owner (in a public place) to get your bearings or directions.

Do not take lifts. Warri residents might be accommodating and helpful, but it is advisable not to stretch the hospitality. Do not take lifts from anyone, no matter how friendly or original they seem.

Do not fake the pidgin. Warri is known nationwide for its unique Pidgin English. When you are in Warri, you might be tempted to fake the pidgin in a bid to flow with the locals. Aside from the fact that you would sound extremely funny, it is not a good idea as a failed attempt will instantly mark you out as a foreigner or tourist.

Don’t be a bottleneck. In Warri, everybody seems to be in a haste and people want to complete their tasks as soon as possible. Try to stay away from situations that will cause a delay for any other person (especially the locals) as that might put you in a disagreement…and you do not want that. For instance if you are taking a bus or any other public transport system, have your change. There’s a special level of perdition reserved for people who waste 30 seconds of everyone else’s time with their fumbling. Also, if there is a wait for something or a bottleneck, don’t mob it – form a line. And when a line has been formed do not try to cut it. Seriously.

Be Sharp. You need to be cautious at all times, especially if you are in a crowded place. Always keep your wallet in your front pocket, rather than the back, and keep your purse closed and held in front of you or on the side.

Don’t flaunt jewelry, cameras, your smart phone or cash in public. If you need to organize your wallet, look for a hidden corner or wait till you get back to the safe confines of your hotel room.

Use caution when using ATMs and do not carry large amounts of cash around with you . The city is quite modern and most places accept credit cards. There are also ATMs everywhere.

Have you been to Warri and you have extra tips for first time visitors? Please share !!!

Never for any reason justified or not visit Enere junction without full knowledge of how things work there

4 Likes

Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by EgusiSoup: 5:08pm On May 12, 2015
I was first to comment and they hid my post. Let the mod that did that reveal what I wrote so everyone can see. A honest question I asked the OP.

Injustice on Nairaland.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by youngwarlocks: 5:08pm On May 12, 2015
hmn
Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by Rilwayne001: 5:08pm On May 12, 2015
Wetin I dey find?
warri ko, worry ni undecided

3 Likes

Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by FruityLass: 5:08pm On May 12, 2015
Oh my...I luff hausa quarters. Those hausas are nice to be with. Goods aren't expensive there too. Effurun roundabout, agbharo, PTI, enereh, airport road, mainmarket, jeddo, ekpan road, ijakpa, Nigercat, ugorton, Dsc, mofo, etc I so much love Warri, their foods wow. Nothing really much for a first timer. Warri is cool

7 Likes

Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by DONMAYOR19(m): 5:09pm On May 12, 2015
I'm still yet to see a place were everything people do always makes one smile except WARRI.

from the way market women talk when u try to bargain with them.

To the bike people that always gist with you with their waffy tongue when they are taking you to your destination.

To the way children behave like boss… .

Warri is just too lively, no dulling moment, be it morning, afternoon, evening or night, guys are always happy...

WARNING… DON'T STAY A MINUTE IN ENIORO BUSTOP IF U ARE A JJC, IF NOT, U GO COME OPEN THREAD TELLING US HOW THEM TAKE DEAL WITH U WHEN U VISIT WARRI.

I rep Oghara/Warri in Delta state.

God bless NIGERIA.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by hardywaltz(m): 5:10pm On May 12, 2015
Neva speak good English when asking for directions else u will be viewd as a mugu and perhaps kidnapped.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by odepacy: 5:10pm On May 12, 2015
Warri for you
Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by lilmax(m): 5:11pm On May 12, 2015
Just use your brain cheesy

1 Like

Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by naijainfogalery: 5:12pm On May 12, 2015
Tips when going to Warri
- wear 4 boxers and Keep your money in the 4th Inner Boxer
- Do not pick your phone in public, i repeat do not pick you phone in public
- Do not speak english when negotiating its a way of telling the market people that you are a Jonny Just come
- Do not act normal, act like a mad man else you go lost
- When you walk, do not walk straight, go left , go right, turn around , go zigzag
- When you go to a restaurant, confirm the price of the food before eating, because if your eating habbit too Behind, you will pay extra
- Do not toast a lady you dont know her history, else gbege go land for your doormot

I will continue when i get 100 likes grin

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by Input(m): 5:12pm On May 12, 2015
I won't blame the op for this negative stereotype about the oil rich city of Warri, the blame goes to'I go die' and all the Nigerian comedians for painting Warri as a danger zone.

The most painful is that some of these upcoming comedians haven't been to Warri but they will use it to joke just for their joke to sell.

To the whole world Warri isn't as bad as people and the media made us to believe.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by OnyeEgo1(m): 5:13pm On May 12, 2015
Area... Their father their mother... Me go rep lag city... Make we no Wu go 1st run...

Wen i enter warri den.. Haba dem feel am na
Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by haitto99(m): 5:13pm On May 12, 2015
spent 20yrs of my life there,so love the place

3 Likes

Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by joewilly(m): 5:13pm On May 12, 2015
The name warri is even dangerous and not to talk of the town. before you heare one good news you would have heard of ten attrocities.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by ridimic1: 5:16pm On May 12, 2015
Warrri is becoming too popular o

Pls security issues u enlisted r misconceptions about warri..
Warri is actually very peaceful and loving n crazily humorous.
No day u won't go out without encountering 1 hilarious scene. Ranging from Keke drivers to stubborn bus drivers.. Not forgetting d locals.. You go laf tire

We r very unique.
If u have ny warri friends be proud because u r in for a free comedy show..

We hv d greatest sense of humour in dis planet.. No wonder AY de shout warri for ammerica.

7 Likes

Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by Chiefpriest1(m): 5:16pm On May 12, 2015
Lol. I remember the year I was posted to Warri by my company. I was standing in front of my office that evening when a guy cut the chain off the neck of a lady on okada.

That same evening , I was on a bike with my bag going through Hausa quarters to locate a hotel around Deco. My camera disappeared on the way.

No matter how much we try paint warri good, it remains one of the biggest jungles in Nigeria,just like parts of lagos.

By 5pm people don dey close from shop. Me wey I dey like stay outside before kuku borrow myself brain. Children abeg grow abeg

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Irony Of Lagos Lesser Known Toll Gate: An Exposé Into Mushin Toll Gate / Occupants Of Car Crushed By 40-Foot Container In Lagos Speak Out After Survial / How Much Is Flight From Abuja To Enugu?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.