Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,790 members, 7,813,616 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:57 PM

10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... (26724 Views)

Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers / Travel Tips For First Time Flyers / Mistakes Made By First Timers Travelling By Air (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by ekiloui(f): 11:00pm On May 12, 2015
Input:
I won't blame the op for this negative stereotype about the oil rich city of Warri, the blame goes to'I go die' and all the Nigerian comedians for painting Warri as a danger zone.

The most painful is that some of these upcoming comedians haven't been to Warri but they will use it to joke just for their joke to sell.

To the whole world Warri isn't as bad as people and the media made us to believe.

This has nothing to do with Comedy! Oil or not Warri has a high crime rate.

I remember what happened to my friend who went for a wedding in Warri 2 years back, she had her travel kit with her and her handbag, she simply stood up to drop her gift and both bags disappeared (A wedding for goodness sake!)

1 Like

Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by Bamz(m): 11:13pm On May 12, 2015
hardywaltz:
Neva speak good English when asking for directions else u will be viewd as a mugu and perhaps kidnapped.

Do not fake the pidgin. Warri is known nationwide for its unique Pidgin English. When you are in Warri, you might be tempted to fake the pidgin in a bid to flow with the locals. Aside from the fact that you would sound extremely funny, it is not a good idea as a failed attempt will instantly mark you out as a foreigner or tourist.
Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by StoneColdBiceps(m): 11:14pm On May 12, 2015
FruityLass:
Yea, that's warri for you....lotta fun. I love their banga soup also fried pork lol Night's always cool in warri...just one needs not to be slack....those maruwa....uduaghan buses oh my I miss warri! and and akpu lol with ogbono soup.

Yeh, nights cool in warrl. Sum locals took us to solidada joint nd those chicks shaaaa

1 Like

Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by marvelito: 11:18pm On May 12, 2015
Chiefpriest1:
Lol. I remember the year I was posted to Warri by my company. I was standing in front of my office that evening when a guy cut the chain off the neck of a lady on okada.

That same evening , I was on a bike with my bag going through Hausa quarters to locate a hotel around Deco. My camera disappeared on the way.

No matter how much we try paint warri good, it remains one of the biggest jungles in Nigeria,just like parts of lagos.

By 5pm people don dey close from shop. Me wey I dey like stay outside before kuku borrow myself brain. Children abeg grow abeg
warri is a lovely place. All diz criminal activities una dey yarn now don stop since government ban bike. In warri just mind ur bizness nd b smart. Nobody go reason u. warri boz no like oppression. If u try am use power or come dey sample ur fone or small moni. U don fuckup b dat. And them go treat ur fuckup. Shekina. Rep wafi. Meanwhile na God go punish una wen dey paint warri negative.
Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by Esemuru506: 11:36pm On May 12, 2015
OnyeEgo1:
Area... Their father their mother... Me go rep lag city... Make we no Wu go 1st run...

Wen i enter warri den.. Haba dem feel am na

U just day mak mouth..u nor reaccch
Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by Bamz(m): 11:41pm On May 12, 2015
Warri is lovely.

It could be better though if the resources were better utilised in the state. You could just imagine how long the flyover bridge at Effurun took to reach completion.

Warri has many hotels, LOL.

The people are homely, well I've lived with an Ijaw family, and I have Itsekiri friends.

You must have heard about Tompolo and Ayiri if you live in Warri.

If your pidgin isn't as fluent and spontaneous and you don't want to be 'found out', just rehearse what you need to say before saying it.

It seems most Warri chicks are dark. I've only seen one fair one. Well I don't go around much.

Oh and there's this unnerving consciousness about foreigners over there too in cases where your name is required and you're not an indigene.

Banga LOL, funny tasting stew, I've had it but my Ijaw friends wouldn't have me eat Starch for fear of the unknown.

I think Warri people like food a lot. Lol, not all of them ofcourse.

Just a low percentage of very rich people, a microcosm of modern day Nigeria.

There are no bikes in most areas but 3-wheelers are rife.
-----------

I know the OP didn't just put up this topic smiley, he's trying to sell something ofcourse, the Warri way.

1 Like

Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by rockafela(m): 4:30am On May 13, 2015
flickers72:

Bro how have things change, I have left Warri now for 12 years and I'm planning to Visit when Next I visit Nigeria. My mum keep telling me not to come, can I have more up to date info was up with Warri this day. I grew up between [b]Iyara and Ogedegbe..Obire [/b]to be precise...
u be confirm warri boi na if u grow up for all dis area Wey u cal u cannot be mushin again he like make eh be 100yrs, guy show nothin de happen, forget all dis key wen dem de tro here, dem dey try put borris for ur leg...guy no roll with them...do mae u enter d ewos..nothn do u.. How Maaleh na?
Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by rockafela(m): 4:46am On May 13, 2015
Bamz:
Warri is lovely.

It could be better though if the resources were better utilised in the state. You could just imagine how long the flyover bridge at Effurun took to reach completion.

Warri has many hotels, LOL.

The people are homely, well I've lived with an Ijaw family, and I have Itsekiri friends.

You must have heard about Tompolo and Ayiri if you live in Warri.

If your pidgin isn't as fluent and spontaneous and you don't want to be 'found out', just rehearse what you need to say before saying it.

It seems most Warri chicks are dark. I've only seen one fair one. Well I don't go around much.

Oh and there's this unnerving consciousness about foreigners over there too in cases where your name is required and you're not an indigene.

Banga LOL, funny tasting stew, I've had it but my Ijaw friends wouldn't have me eat Starch for fear of the unknown.

I think Warri people like food a lot. Lol, not all of them ofcourse.

Just a low percentage of very rich people, a microcosm of modern day Nigeria.

There are no bikes in most areas but 3-wheelers are rife.
-----------

I know the OP didn't just put up this topic smiley, he's trying to sell something ofcourse, the Warri way.
u be correct.
Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by rockafela(m): 4:48am On May 13, 2015
OnyeEgo1:
Area... Their father their mother... Me go rep lag city... Make we no Wu go 1st run...

Wen i enter warri den.. Haba dem feel am na
IGG.. initial gra gra. U Wey no fit speak simple and correct pidgin, i#isorrae4u

2 Likes

Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by rockafela(m): 5:08am On May 13, 2015
OgagaMic:

nt claiming Warri , 50% of present day warri belongs to Urhobo, Effurun, Pti, Enereh, Rebison plaza area, osubi, Ekpan, Okere Urhobo,

.... so mind wat u say
U don de won talk anyhow...make we respect ourselvs here oo...u suppose knw say na fortunate tenant una be ooh..no bring ur leg out oo. U leave agbarho leave ughelli de come claim warri, Abeg nor let me talk Abeg nor put me for talk.
Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by lekwas: 5:53am On May 13, 2015
I am pained by this review of Warri. For any one who has never been there, it will sound and feel like an unexplored jungle.

Make una forget ds grammer. I be confirmed Warri and dis description is not the the Warri I know.

Was born in Odien Street Essi L/out; spent my early childhood in Agbaisi L/out- Marine Quaters Axis; my teenage years in the Deco/ Okumagba Avenue Axis.
Later part of my teenage years was spent off Oil field Rd around Enerhen Junction, before moving finally to Sokoh Estate Road off Airport Rd.

Even though I have not lived in Warri for some years now, (was there in December, cos I have family and friends) Warri still hold a special place in my heart. This narrative on Warri is more of a disservice.

I agree that Warri has become a shadow of itself due to the self serving interests of recent governments, but I strongly believe that that city is the one TRUE metropolitan city in Nigeria. It does not matter what part on Nigeria or the world you come from, Warri was home to all.

All the 'Old Warri' and Wafarians on this platform, this might be a good time to share interesting facts about the city of our birth or even sojourn. Let's send a strong message to all those giving Warri a bad name for economic reasons.
The days of restiveness are gone. Uvwie and Ekpan youths 'deve' era is not as prominent; Ibori's dusk to dawn curfew is over with. All the scary things that came with the prominence of Shell also gone as there is no more Shell-Edjeba.

Let's all stand up for Warri, let's stop those DBS and DRTv people from showing so so obito on Tv. This is the time for enlightenment and these comedians should either portray a good image of Warri or get discredited. My one pence worth
#IRepWaffi
Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by Input(m): 6:04am On May 13, 2015
INDUSTRIALFAN:

To be honest, as a jjc in warri, i did all pple have been saying do not do and to my suprise, everyone i asked for directions with clean english was ready to assist me and made sure i got to where i wanted.... Enereh junction in particular, i bout a 2nd hand samsung fne at relatively low price and that's what i am still using now... Its as clean as it was wen i bot it...... All negativity about that city is a LIE i stayed there for a year and its the most stranger friendly city av bin to...... I lived at bendel estate, worked at ogunu and wandered almost the whole of warri for site seeing....

God bless you for this, just to confirm.

Warri is a peaceful and friendly place to be.
Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by Input(m): 6:09am On May 13, 2015
ekiloui:

I remember what happened to my friend who went for a wedding in Warri 2 years back, she had her travel kit with her and her handbag, she simply stood up to drop her gift and both bags disappeared (A wedding for goodness sake!)

About 80% of people who haven't been to Warri have heard negative stuff about the city courtesy of the comedians.

Now just like every other place crime happens and your friend must have misplaced her handbag.

What if I tell you the experience I have had in other places.
Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by Input(m): 6:20am On May 13, 2015
LasoulMacuby:
So u mean I go die has never been to warri
I think you failed comprehension in your secondary days. Is ' I go die' an upcoming artist?
Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by LasoulMacuby(m): 6:23am On May 13, 2015
Input:

I think you failed comprehension in your secondary days.
Is ' I go die' an upcoming artist?
And u are?
Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by Input(m): 7:07am On May 13, 2015
LasoulMacuby:
And u are?
Go and read that post again you will understand my point
Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by FOREXMARTS: 7:48am On May 13, 2015
[quote author=Jovago post=33667741][/quote] In summary you just told us "STAY AWAY FROM WARRI"
Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by flickers72(m): 8:03am On May 13, 2015
rockafela:
u be confirm warri boi na if u grow up for all dis area Wey u cal u cannot be mushin again he like make eh be 100yrs, guy show nothin de happen, forget all dis key wen dem de tro here, dem dey try put borris for ur leg...guy no roll with them...do mae u enter d ewos..nothn do u.. How Maaleh na?
I no fit even understand all your slangs,no kill me I beg ohhh
Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by tendareo: 8:18am On May 13, 2015
Warri is like every other city in Nigeria. Just alittle underdeveloped when compared to cities like PH, Lagos, etc because of the negative mindset the nation in general have due to the then crisis in the region in the 90's.

The echoes of that incident is still like a dark shadow covering the city making everything and everyone there look depressed and hostile. Also its making visitors and investors think twice before coming or get scared unnecessarily.

If u ask my opinion, I will say that Nigerians should give that region a second chance at living. Warri has been stigmatized enough. Our general negative mindset about Warri isn't going to help at all. Its just like the world's mindset about Nigeria or Nigerians at large which doesn't in any way corelate with what actually goes on here... I hope you are getting my point and hopefully clear the rustic air about Warri.

Well, I have lived in Warri for a lot of years and I am happy to tell you that I have never experienced any violence whatsoever here. Even when I walked the lonely streets of the old airport road at midnight (1am is my current latest; which was due to an unprecedented situation with the public bus I boarded enroute Warri from Lagos some pretty years back). I was 'dead' afraid that day and as a lady, you know why I was but alas I got home very safe that night. I have seen foreigners (aside the Lebanese) walk around unaccompanied here without any fear. So if they can, why can't you?

In some other cities in different states including Lagos I have encountered violence but I don't go around screaming how violent those areas are.

In truth, it really has to do with your mindset. If you are expecting violence anywhere not just Warri you will most likely get it and vice versa. That is just the way it works.

Please I want to encourage us in general to feel free to visit places at any time we choose and stop spreading fear and rumour especially when we don't even know a thing about that place talk less of being there. Let's all just be careful and cautious in everything we do and we won't get into trouble...Yeah, its that simple.

Lastly, i was born, raised and still live in Warri and I love the place though I am not from here by origin but I love life, I love visiting places and Warri is a second home to me.

Warri is calm, its getting more organized, as a representative I will say we are nice if you are nice to us... Lol and our arms are wide open to embrace visitors. We are expecting you soonest.
Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by rockafela(m): 8:19am On May 13, 2015
lekwas:
I am pained by this review of Warri. For any one who has never been there, it will sound and feel like an unexplored jungle.

Make una forget ds grammer. I be confirmed Warri and dis description is not the the Warri I know.

Was born in Odien Street Essi L/out; spent my early childhood in Agbaisi L/out- Marine Quaters Axis; my teenage years in the Deco/ Okumagba Avenue Axis.
Later part of my teenage years was spent off Oil field Rd around Enerhen Junction, before moving finally to Sokoh Estate Road off Airport Rd.

Even though I have not lived in Warri for some years now, (was there in December, cos I have family and friends) Warri still hold a special place in my heart. This narrative on Warri is more of a disservice.

I agree that Warri has become a shadow of itself due to the self serving interests of recent governments, but I strongly believe that that city is the one TRUE metropolitan city in Nigeria. It does not matter what part on Nigeria or the world you come from, Warri was home to all.

All the 'Old Warri' and Wafarians on this platform, this might be a good time to share interesting facts about the city of our birth or even sojourn. Let's send a strong message to all those giving Warri a bad name for economic reasons.
The days of restiveness are gone. Uvwie and Ekpan youths 'deve' era is not as prominent; Ibori's dusk to dawn curfew is over with. All the scary things that came with the prominence of Shell also gone as there is no more Shell-Edjeba.

Let's all stand up for Warri, let's stop those DBS and DRTv people from showing so so obito on Tv. This is the time for enlightenment and these comedians should either portray a good image of Warri or get discredited. My one pence worth
#IRepWaffi
old warri I hail.

1 Like

Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by ritux: 8:23am On May 13, 2015
ekiloui:

My dear, what you just stated above above happens everywhere and even in churches. Your friend was careless to have left her travel kit unattended to. Don't be surprised, that bag must have been stolen by some enlightened folks who are hard-up. You can as well go to somewhere in VI, somewhere in Jos or Enugu and leave your baggage unattended to for 3 mins and if you will find it on return.

I lived and schooled in Warri and I can tell you that all the negative things being said about Warri in this post happens only in about 30% of its land mass. Same way you have some bad places in Lagos, Benin, Owerri, Ibadan etc. Even in Glasgow, Liverpool and Manchester, you still have places that you can't dare go at night else those white guys will teach you some nice lessons with knives.
Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by famtech: 8:26am On May 13, 2015
I have been working in Warri for sometimes now,The town is not really bad as potray though the issue of closing shops by 6pm is really a problem as you can hardly see a shop open for business/busy by 8-9pm.All the small small shops like chemist ,stores even pharmacy,even barbing shops closes by atmost 6.30 -7pm.This makes night life bad.
Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by ritux: 8:27am On May 13, 2015
rockafela:

U don de won talk anyhow...make we respect ourselvs here oo...u suppose knw say na fortunate tenant una be ooh..no bring ur leg out oo. U leave agbarho leave ughelli de come claim warri, Abeg nor let me talk Abeg nor put me for talk.

This na confim Warri langua you write so. lol
Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by rockafela(m): 8:28am On May 13, 2015
tendareo:
Warri is like every other city in Nigeria. Just alittle underdeveloped when compared to cities like PH, Lagos, etc because of the negative mindset the nation in general have due to the then crisis in the region in the 90's.

The echoes of that incident is still like a dark shadow covering the city making everything and everyone there look depressed and hostile. Also its making visitors and investors think twice before coming or get scared unnecessarily.

If u ask my opinion, I will say that Nigerians should give that region a second chance at living. Warri has been stigmatized enough. Our general negative mindset about Warri isn't going to help at all. Its just like the world's mindset about Nigeria or Nigerians at large which doesn't in any way corelate with what actually goes on here... I hope you are getting my point and hopefully clear the rustic air about Warri.

Well, I have lived in Warri for a lot of years and I am happy to tell you that I have never experienced any violence whatsoever here. Even when I walked the lonely streets of the old airport road at midnight (1am is my current latest; which was due to an unprecedented situation with the public bus I boarded enroute Warri from Lagos some pretty years back). I was 'dead' afraid that day and as a lady, you know why I was but alas I got home very safe that night. I have seen foreigners (aside the Lebanese) walk around unaccompanied here without any fear. So if they can, why can't you?

In some other cities in different states including Lagos I have encountered violence but I don't go around screaming how violent those areas are.

In truth, it really has to do with your mindset. If you are expecting violence anywhere not just Warri you will most likely get it and vice versa. That is just the way it works.

Please I want to encourage us in general to feel free to visit places at any time we choose and stop spreading fear and rumour especially when we don't even know a thing about that place talk less of being there. Let's all just be careful and cautious in everything we do and we won't get into trouble...Yeah, its that simple.

Lastly, i was born, raised and still live in Warri and I love the place though I am not from here by origin but I love life, I love visiting places and Warri is a second home to me.

Warri is calm, its getting more organized, as a representative I will say we are nice if you are nice to us... Lol and our arms are wide open to embrace visitors. We are expecting you soonest.
warri even more free and friendly than some so called cities in naija...imagine the first day I got to lagos I was asking for direction but nobody was willing and ready to direct me cos they see everone as threat..but in warri it Is a diffrnt thin the pple of warri have hospitality and love for visitors execpt u went there to show off. Even pple are migrating from the so called bigger cities in search for greener pastures and better opportunities in warri..many people knws wat am talking abt..simple truth

1 Like

Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by Nobody: 8:54am On May 13, 2015
Area,...........Area,............area...............,warri I carry yansh for una ooo.warri no dey carry last,shine ur aproko eye wella .peace out
Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by mayemi(m): 8:58am On May 13, 2015
is so surprising to see how some people negatively painting warri. warri live in today is one of peaceful place to stay in d whole of Nigeria, with d nature of my job I have been to many state and city in Nigeria place like PH, ABUJA, LAGOS, ENUGU, EBONYI, ANAMBRA, IMO, ABIA, NASSARWA,ONDO, EDO, BAYERSA, KOGI, OGUN AND DELTA. and I stay and work in 4 to 5 city in all dis state and I will tell u there is no place like dis warri I am Yoruba guy so it will look s if I am from warri. d guys in warri are friendly, dey like visitors dey will make u laugh that u will no dat is late in d night taking abt Hausa quarter and enerhen junction if u are a traveler around Nigeria u will most av see busy business place where many bad things happen so warri is not as bad as people think pls.

1 Like

Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by kazzi11(m): 9:27am On May 13, 2015
omokoladele:
Omo Yoros reping Warri/Effurun.

Love waffi like madt

If u are a JJC dnt ever pass tru Alaka, Udumure, Urumarho if not dem go CLEAN you.

Watch out for sharp pocket pickers in Enerhen Jctn. Dos boys gud finish like winsh.

Warri is a fun place to be!

Absolutely spot on.
Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by Tojued: 10:11am On May 13, 2015
ritux:

My dear, what you just stated above above happens everywhere and even in churches. Your friend was careless to have left her travel kit unattended to. Don't be surprised, that bag must have been stolen by some enlightened folks who are hard-up. You can as well go to somewhere in VI, somewhere in Jos or Enugu and leave your baggage unattended to for 3 mins and if you will find it on return.

I lived and schooled in Warri and I can tell you that all the negative things being said about Warri in this post happens only in about 30% of its land mass. Same way you have some bad places in Lagos, Benin, Owerri, Ibadan etc. Even in Glasgow, Liverpool and Manchester, you still have places that you can't dare go at night else those white guys will teach you some nice lessons with knives.

Lolz Abeg Warri and Benin no be mate. I be Bini babe, na only Enerhen Junction person don rob me, come stroll comot. Everybody do like dem no see anything. Dat kind rubbish no fit happen even for Oshodi of those days.

I love Warri and I gat family there, but the place rough die. Hardcore tins.

And the person wey leave handbag waka comot na super mu², anywhere in the world.

All this hazard still no reach sha, the fish, starch & banga, bolè, and general sense of humour still make Warri worth all the wahala. Just don't think I can live there.
Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by flickers72(m): 10:13am On May 13, 2015
onomeglo:
Area,...........Area,............area...............,warri I carry yansh for una ooo.warri no dey carry last,shine ur aproko eye wella .peace out
Madam this your slangs are solid,maybe you teach me some so as to get in touch of time as I have left Warri Over 10 years,make you take am easy
Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by ritux: 10:53am On May 13, 2015
Tojued:

Lolz Abeg Warri and Benin no be mate. I be Bini babe, na only Enerhen Junction person don rob me, come stroll comot. Everybody do like dem no see anything. Dat kind rubbish no fit happen even for Oshodi of those days.

I love Warri and I gat family there, but the place rough die. Hardcore tins.

And the person wey leave handbag waka comot na super mu², anywhere in the world.

All this hazard still no reach sha, the fish, starch & banga, bolè, and general sense of humour still make Warri worth all the wahala. Just don't think I can live there.

Kai all this Bini babe, una own dey una body too. I schooled in Uniben between 2003-2008 so I know some few tips about Benin city. This kind scenario when dem rob person stroll waka comot fit happen for Ring road, Oluku...

But wait, the Banga soup or Owo soup and starch, Bole and fish, you can never get the Warri type outside Delta state. Every other na counterfeit. I miss the Original. But still, Warri is not that bad as being painted here on this thread.
Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by Nobody: 11:18am On May 13, 2015
flickers72:

Madam this your slangs are solid,maybe you teach me some so as to get in touch of time as I have left Warri Over 10 years,make you take am easy
lol hw much u go pay me na
Re: 10 Travel Tips For Warri First-timers... by flickers72(m): 11:38am On May 13, 2015
onomeglo:
lol hw much u go pay me na
that nah wetin me and you go arrange,I email sha

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

20 Dead As Dams Burst In Bahia, Brazil As Region Hit By Floods(photos, Video) / La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience? / This Is A Desert… But Once A Year It Turns Into Something Else

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.