Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,830 members, 7,817,429 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:05 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 - Travel (135) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 (708055 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jun 30, 2015
biikeys:

Actually your POE might not be on US soil in some cases. Some airports outside the US have US POE(Customs and Immigration) like Etihad(Abu Dhabi), YYZ(Toronto-Pearson) in Canada, if final destination is the US
That's correct. You sound like an immigration officer. This thread is my favorite so far.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by kennyrony(m): 5:12pm On Jun 30, 2015
biikeys:

Actually your POE might not be on US soil in some cases. Some airports outside the US have US POE(Customs and Immigration) like Etihad(Abu Dhabi), YYZ(Toronto-Pearson) in Canada, if final destination is the US
Alright bro... thanks for d clarification

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by amanze15(m): 5:20pm On Jun 30, 2015
Please how do I tell my professor that I want money oh sorry research assistantship grin we are on relating terms but he's bent on fixing an appointment when I arrive in campus....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Urch1980(m): 5:38pm On Jun 30, 2015
Hello NL family. Great place this is. Please is it possible to change my ds 160 confirmation number on my visa application and print another visa confirmation reflecting this new ds 160 confirmation number.

Actually what happened was that I had issues with my first ds160; I just couldn't retrieve the form any more. I was getting an error message. And I had already scheduled an appointment with the number. I had to go to the office that helps with travels and passages in the school I finished from, and the lady said I had to fill out another ds160 and cancel and reschedule another visa appointment. She decided to assist me in filling the form. When it got to the place of : were you assisted to fill this form? She clicked on yes, and put her relationship with me as school official assigned to travels and passages.
I didn't like it; I wanted it to be a no. I learned the embassy frowns at agents, and I don't want it to look like an agent assisted me for a fee, cos she didn't charge me; she was just doing her duty as a school official putting a student/staff through travel tinz.

Now I fell like changing the ds160 I will be needing at the embassy. I filled another one the way I want it and signed it. I tried going to the "update profile" on the visa appointment page with the hope of changing the ds160 confirmation number to the latest one I have, with the hope of printing a new visa confirmation page, but it gives me an error message. The other option would have been to cancel the appointment and reschedule with the latest ds160, which is what the woman did when the very first ds160 form was corrupted, but I don't want to loose my date, july 6th

But someone told me it was possible, that he did his own that way. Please house it it possible.

If I don't get it done I'll definitely go with the one the woman assisted me with and trust God for His favor. But I just thought to tie up loose ends as much as possible.

Thanks for your constructive answers.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jun 30, 2015
amanze15:
Please how do I tell my professor that I want money oh sorry research assistantship grin we are on relating terms but he's bent on fixing an appointment when I arrive in campus....
You just have to show a high level of committment to the research first and discuss extensively with him on that and the funds for assistantship would evolve naturally.

Sometimes, you don't have to be desperate when you need something. For those who are desperate do easily lose focus.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by amanze15(m): 6:24pm On Jun 30, 2015
DeeTus:
You just have to show a high level of committment to the research first and discuss extensively with him on that and the funds for assistantship would evolve naturally.

Sometimes, you don't have to be desperate when you need something. For those who are desperate do easily lose focus.
thanks deetus,
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by bigfrancis21: 6:56pm On Jun 30, 2015
Urch1980:
Hello NL family. Great place this is. Please is it possible to change my ds 160 confirmation number on my visa application and print another visa confirmation reflecting this new ds 160 confirmation number.

Actually what happened was that I had issues with my first ds160; I just couldn't retrieve the form any more. I was getting an error message. And I had already scheduled an appointment with the number. I had to go to the office that helps with travels and passages in the school I finished from, and the lady said I had to fill out another ds160 and cancel and reschedule another visa appointment. She decided to assist me in filling the form. When it got to the place of : were you assisted to fill this form? She clicked on yes, and put her relationship with me as school official assigned to travels and passages.
I didn't like it; I wanted it to be a no. I learned the embassy frowns at agents, and I don't want it to look like an agent assisted me for a fee, cos she didn't charge me; she was just doing her duty as a school official putting a student/staff through travel tinz.

Now I fell like changing the ds160 I will be needing at the embassy. I filled another one the way I want it and signed it. I tried going to the "update profile" on the visa appointment page with the hope of changing the ds160 confirmation number to the latest one I have, with the hope of printing a new visa confirmation page, but it gives me an error message. The other option would have been to cancel the appointment and reschedule with the latest ds160, which is what the woman did when the very first ds160 form was corrupted, but I don't want to loose my date, july 6th

But someone told me it was possible, that he did his own that way. Please house it it possible.

If I don't get it done I'll definitely go with the one the woman assisted me with and trust God for His favor. But I just thought to tie up loose ends as much as possible.

Thanks for your constructive answers.

Yea, no more can you update your DS160 number on the visa booking page as before. You would have to cancel and reschedule again. Given that you don't want to come off as being helped by an agent, I think that it is pertinent that you go with the DS160 you just filled out yourself. At this point, you have no option than to cancel your appointment date, update your DS160 number and book another date. Also be aware that there is a number of times you can cancel and reschedule your appointment date before the payment becomes voided, which I think is 2 times.

If this is your first time of booking or you have not been denied a visa in the last 6 months, another option is to go ahead and reschedule and use the emergency interview option. When is your resumption date?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by bigfrancis21: 7:00pm On Jun 30, 2015
amanze15:

Arrive on campus first. You want to make sure that you arrive campus very early, so as to possibly attend an interview with him.

And as Deetus advised you, never show desperation or nervousness. It is a bad body language here in the US. Be very calm, gentle but assertive about it. You should be fine.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by bigfrancis21: 7:00pm On Jun 30, 2015
DeeTus:

You're so on point.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by femysmart: 7:06pm On Jun 30, 2015
Got the email notification this morning. .went to dhl around 11.30. Finally got my passport around 12.20pm....Big thank you to everyone that has contributed to this thread.
Ps. Interview was on june 16 lagos.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jun 30, 2015
amanze15:
thanks deetus,
U welcome.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jun 30, 2015
bigfrancis21:

You're so on point.
Tx man.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by ddbluv: 7:44pm On Jun 30, 2015
Centrix:

Going to NYC too..The cheapest i've found is 750..What site are u using for ur search?

Nothing much, just Google apartments near the school location. Thatsall
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by ddbluv: 7:46pm On Jun 30, 2015
It seems the consulate read my comment. Tomorrow would have made it 3wks which I had planned to storm the embassy.
They saw my threat & hastily sent me a mail to collect my passport which i did today #hehe.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by ddbluv: 7:57pm On Jun 30, 2015
biikeys:

Ok..Use hotpads, craigslist,easyroommate to look for students willing to share 2-bed apartments/town houses. You should get something reasonable.

Thanks, but I'll rather go a wk earlier & book hotel, then see things for myself. I do believe I can get something reasonable @ <$500.
The apartments from $700 & above are luxurious & not study friendly
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Busconductor: 7:59pm On Jun 30, 2015
ddbluv:
It seems the consulate read my comment. Tomorrow would have made it 3wks which I had planned to storm the embassy.
They saw my threat & hastily sent me a mail to collect my passport which i did today #hehe.
What is all this angry my interview was on the 10th and up till now, no show. It's beginning to get annoying
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Busconductor: 8:01pm On Jun 30, 2015
ddbluv:
When was your interview
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by f8luv87: 8:02pm On Jun 30, 2015
Is this ok ? U.S contact,can I use my aunty us contacts while fllin my form?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by amanze15(m): 8:16pm On Jun 30, 2015
f8luv87:
no, use ur ISS advisor name and address as it was written on ur I-20
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by amanze15(m): 8:19pm On Jun 30, 2015
ddbluv:

Thanks, but I'll rather go a wk earlier & book hotel, then see things for myself. I do believe I can get something reasonable @ <$500.
for newyork?! shocked na hood u wan live be that grin its just cost of living as deetus rightly said, 700 dollars rent in the school am going would get a duplex with garage grin so different strokes for different folks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by amanze15(m): 8:24pm On Jun 30, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Arrive on campus first. You want to make sure that you arrive campus very early, so as to possibly attend an interview with him.

And as Deetus advised you, never show desperation or nervousness. It is a bad body language here in the US. Be very calm, gentle but assertive about it. You should be fine.
thanks bigfrancis21, and deetus, interview undecided I better go have a good look at his publication, cos I "wholesale" lifted wink grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by innovativeame(m): 8:44pm On Jun 30, 2015
f8luv87:
As what ? Sponsor or where you will be staying?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by innovativeame(m): 8:56pm On Jun 30, 2015
meritdee:
Congrats djmakson, I follow share ur testimony too... Chief Innovativeame, me sef go need that pre-interview session with u when im ready o. I'd do the calling, so please be prepared. Thank you in advance. Hehehe grin grin
Chief ke! What title are u gonna give to the likes of Bigfrancis21, imperiouxx, slimmy05,Ferdimako, DeeTus and Co? Abeg oo, that title never reach me. Well, you will get your visa in Jesus name, just make sure you don't leave the thread after getting it. It's a cycle here, someone helps u, you help another person with ur experience and the chain continues. I'll be honoured to serve you sir!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Urch1980(m): 9:01pm On Jun 30, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Yea, no more can you update your DS160 number on the visa booking page as before. You would have to cancel and reschedule again. Given that you don't want to come off as being helped by an agent, I think that it is pertinent that you go with the DS160 you just filled out yourself. At this point, you have no option than to cancel your appointment date, update your DS160 number and book another date. Also be aware that there is a number of times you can cancel and reschedule your appointment date before the payment becomes voided, which I think is 2 times.

If this is your first time of booking or you have not been denied a visa in the last 6 months, another option is to go ahead and reschedule and use the emergency interview option. When is your resumption date?

Thanks a lot. I have actually used up the number of times I can reschedule with my current fee. When the woman cancled and rescheduled, that was one. The date she en was august 3; I checked for another date and rescheduled to july 6th.

The option I have is to either pay another visa fee, or just go with the viable ds160 and trust God for His favor...

Thanks a lot; I'll think it through.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Elparaiso(m): 9:29pm On Jun 30, 2015
kobe79:

i repeat again i smell a big rat!!!!
Stop using ota pia pia....
Too many dead rats in you room...
You carrying the smell around
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by benjaminiyke(m): 9:34pm On Jun 30, 2015
DeeTus:
But they also deny visas due to standardized tests? The truth of matter is our people should cultivate the habit of writing at least one standardized test. It doesn't kill.
I Agree with you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by biikeys(m): 9:50pm On Jun 30, 2015
ddbluv:

Cool. That's what I did myself.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by igbonerd(m): 10:22pm On Jun 30, 2015
amanze15:
no, use ur ISS advisor name and address as it was written on ur I-20

Just bumped into this. While filling mine, I used the name of the professor I plan on working with. He is a ranking faculty member in the school.
Do you think that would count against me?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by awe2015(f): 10:22pm On Jun 30, 2015
@Innovativeame, mbok, i don send u PM show back with ur digitz...I'll be going in their pretty soon! cool cool cool cool

Another question for all, AFTER applying and getting your admission letter, do i need to pay the SEVIS fee first before applying for the form I-20 Urgent response needed please!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Busconductor: 10:26pm On Jun 30, 2015
awe2015:
@Innovativeame, mbok, i don send u PM show back with ur digitz...I'll be going in their pretty soon! cool cool cool cool

Another question for all, AFTER applying and getting your admission letter, do i need to pay the SEVIS fee first before applying for the form I-20 Urgent response needed please!
no you will have to wait for ur form I-20 cos you will need some information on it when you want to pay ur SEVIS fee

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by kennyrony(m): 10:28pm On Jun 30, 2015
awe2015:

No, u wait till ur I-20 arrives before paying. You are going to need d SEVIS number on d I-20 to pay ur SEVIS fee. Or u can request for the scan copy of ur I-20 from d school so that u can pay ur SEVIS fee pending d arrival of d original copy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Walspring: 10:38pm On Jun 30, 2015
pcbo:

Thanks
I guess I have to start learning how to cook because all I cook is rice via rice cooker embarassed

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

When you get there you will also cook beans via beans cooker too cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) ... (402)

GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** / General Australian Visa Enquiries / North Cyprus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.