Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,466 members, 7,819,703 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:20 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 - Travel (216) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 (708576 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (213) (214) (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by awe2015(f): 8:14pm On Jul 15, 2015
imperiouxx:

Sorry for poking nose or curiosity. Are you serious? Why Theology of all courses and what's the job prospects in both U.S and Nigeria with this course?

Na Catholic Priest Things oooo wink
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by amanze15(m): 8:16pm On Jul 15, 2015
kushner:
Ok!! Appointment 7:30am. Got to the Embassy for my interview. Did the necessary formalities, then got a seat, waiting to be interviewed. The lady as the last counter guess(counter 9) was dashing out the denial form like handbill, while counter 7 and 8 where being fair with their approval rates. An applicant said he was going to a school because a friend told him about it and when asked for a standardised test he provided none..Nd he got denied sad i just dey look dey arrange my respone make i no fall victim. last last i was called to the lady o( counter 9)..I started to walk the "why me" walk.

na our yarn be this...

ME: Good Morning
VO: Good Morning, can u pass me ur passport and documents pls
I comply sharp sharp..
VO: how did you get to know about this school?
ME: i used the internet to streamlined a list of school that offers an executive/tradition MBA curriculum that suit my career goals.
VO: what degree would you get?
ME: A masters degree.
N/b: This question 'what degree would you get?" took most applicant offguard, some where defining there intended program choice or the benefit they would get from the program..which were all wrong!!
VO: what did you study in ur bachelors?
ME: Accounting
VO: when did you graduate?
ME: August 2014
VO: what have you been doing since then?
Me: had a couple of non-paid internships--( CC. slimmy05 and Bbdd: na this greatmen give me this idea, God go enlarge ur coast bosses!!)
VO: how much is this program?
Me: $21k
VO: who will be paying for this?
Me: My father
VO: what does he do?
ME: Accountant.

Typed for some mins. me, i just dey jejely relaxed, knowing she has no choice than to seize my passport and give me back the d I20, and passport collection form.

VO: yr visa has been approved!! a mail will be sent to you, when its ready for collection!!!
ME: Thank you.

I wrote the standardised tests, but no document was asked..Nothing, God just glorified himself as he always does. Im grateful to him, and to all the gurus,abeg, i need call some names,bigfrancis21,walspring,kennyronny(congrats boss),Slimmy05, Bbdd, Darklight and all others, who took time to help and answer all our questions, making the trend a combination of great humour and learning.

To all future applicant, its okay to be nervous, but you need comport yourself and gather confidence in your response to the VO's question, keep it clear, concise and personal( answers that can be related to your intended course) and lastly practise your respone before your interview date and avoid craming. all all #na Godwin

congrats bon voyage to obodo obama
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by awe2015(f): 8:17pm On Jul 15, 2015
innovativeame:

Congratulations. Please, make sure you tell them the truth about homo!

I will, Definitely!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jul 15, 2015
congrats Kushner
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by haffikem(m): 8:37pm On Jul 15, 2015
congrats @ kushner

as for @texcrem be brave and courageous you will get it (@amanze15 and Brightlight ) can testify to that.

dollar na 245 today oooh
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by amanze15(m): 8:44pm On Jul 15, 2015
haffikem:
congrats @ kushner

as for @texcrem be brave and courageous you will get it (@amanze15 and Brightlight ) can testify to that.

dollar na 245 today oooh
u better share all ur money to like four banks, make u do PTA dem fit give u 4000 dollars per bank buy correct hings pant wey dey get pocket angry line ur money inside grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by awe2015(f): 8:50pm On Jul 15, 2015
kaycome:

Bro i will talk us to chat and discuss on something . I am also applying for MA theology.

i no get your pm ooo
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by DanjaNinja(m): 8:53pm On Jul 15, 2015
imperiouxx:

She's one of the most clear American you've ever met. Get to school and interact with Americans that I haven't communicated with Africans/Nigerians before, then you will be swept off in discussion.

Work on your understanding of American accent so that next time, they won't be asking you how are you today and you start replying "I will come back to Nigeria after my studies to work for ......."

Best of luck!

@imperiouxx: ROFLMAO.... Your evil for this one. This had me laughing all day. grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by DanjaNinja(m): 8:55pm On Jul 15, 2015
meritdee:
Good evening house.

I am scheduled to write my GRE test tomorrow, what other requirements aside Valid Passport should one take along?

I also hope there is a provision for some place where test takers can keep their belongings like gadgets before the test. I'm taking my phone along cuz I may need to respond to an urgent mail immediately after the test as na risk I take to stab work tomorrow. grin

My test center is JKK House. Please help a bro, thanks people.

@Bigfrancis.. Thanks to you

You only need your international passport and your registration confirmation printout. Thans all. And yes, they make provisions for keeping valuables.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by imperiouxx(m): 8:57pm On Jul 15, 2015
profojah:

A question on "Theology" issue was raised this morning and Another Theologian was silently following and got her visa approved in less than 12hrs. Hmmmn!!. We will actually take, read and digest transcripts as dey come . And @bolded, it really calm someone's nerve. Congratulations dearie! kiss . undecided
My sister want to study Theology and she need funding like Kilode!, She'll like to apply to your school, What's the name of the school, Make I send you pm

Don't get the discussion wrong. The question wasn't about how to get visa with a course but what the course can do for you at the long run. I'm saying this from my honest heart with the way the market is in U.S.

Teaching would have be good with it but no school will employ international students who don't have higher degree mostly in science. It all boils down to "we don't file for permanent residence".
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by meritdee(m): 8:58pm On Jul 15, 2015
DanjaNinja:

You only need your international passport and your registration confirmation printout. Thans all. And yes, they make provisions for keeping valuables.

Thanks man, really appreciate
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by AgreatMan: 9:03pm On Jul 15, 2015
u leave this thread for a few days n u hv sm serious catching up to do.

peeps for spring admission shd speed up their process as soon as possible. I believe these schools r serious with their first come, first serve rule. #teamspring
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by imperiouxx(m): 9:05pm On Jul 15, 2015
DanjaNinja:

@imperiouxx: ROFLMAO.... Your evil for this one. This had me laughing all day. grin grin grin

Na true talk my brother. cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by biikeys(m): 9:05pm On Jul 15, 2015
imperiouxx:

Don't get the discussion wrong. The question wasn't about how to get visa with a course but what the course can do for you at the long run. I'm saying this from my honest heart with the way the market is in U.S.

Teaching would have be good with it but no school will employ international students who don't have higher degree mostly in science. It all boils down to "we don't file for resident permanent".

Same point I try to emphasize..but seems some don't think long term
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Nobody: 9:10pm On Jul 15, 2015
mbeenox:
buh bro, its not a community college, west Virginia University or how do categorize schools as community college?

West Virginia university at Pakerburg is a community college bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by imperiouxx(m): 9:16pm On Jul 15, 2015
biikeys:

Same point I try to emphasize..but seems some don't think long term

If you haven't been in U.S for more than 2 years, complete your studies and have to hunt for jobs to survive, you will certainly not understand.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jul 15, 2015
imperiouxx:

Teaching would have be good with it but no school will employ international students who don't have higher degree mostly in science. It all boils down to "we don't file for resident permanent".
I understand you bro.. I'm not against what you said!. But I smell something when the moniker said " hope I have calm somebody's nerve", 12hrs after the issue.. Sir Imperiouxx never get my message. grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by imperiouxx(m): 9:19pm On Jul 15, 2015
profojah:

I understand you bro.. I'm not against what you said!. But I smell something when the moniker said " hope I have calm somebody's nerve", 12hrs after the issue.. Sir Imperiouxx never get my message. grin

Got you now. I was the one that got you wrong. Cheers!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jul 15, 2015
Ctemi:

Hmm,so you hide ur sista from your friends oga oo but wait no be another person sister you dey date? "Apani ti ofe kan mu ida gba ori o wu"
She's not anybody's sister, she's the only child of her family
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jul 15, 2015
sirRiddy:
Aluwala olongbo... lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Na protruding belle go explain everything...contunu dey get potential baby mamas all over lagos, shogbo??
Howfa your fine sis?. My regards to her, grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Mystiqme: 9:27pm On Jul 15, 2015
OjaP:

Oh Ok. I will look for you on Facebook and add.
This man you are a bozz o. Going for PhD again. You want to leave that huge geology salary to earn pittance as a Grad student.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by DanjaNinja(m): 9:29pm On Jul 15, 2015
innovativeame:
texrem, Why you fall my hand na. We would have done this rehearsals together ooo. All you requested for was a sponsorship letter format. Please, reapply asap. You will get by God's grace .

Hi bro, can you please send me the sponsorship letter format?. Please send to cchubitunes@gmail.com. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by ridimic1: 9:30pm On Jul 15, 2015
HoneyBronzed:
Visa approved today in Abuja. 9am appointment. There was this black woman who was taking the interview like project defence. Someone said he was going to study information technology, she said he should explain the mechanism of the Internet. Oga come fall hand. She now aske him what he studied, Oga said Political Science, she said 'oh really, i studied political science". LMAO! <insert mortal kombat "Finish Him!">, who is your favorite political science author. Oga say na Aristotle. Lmho!

I missed her being interviewed by her by the whiskers. Thank God for everything, for my interview. It had to be God. I wasn't asked many questions.

Me: Good afternoon
Him: hey good afternoon, pass your documents
(Passes docs)

Him: I see you are going for studies, which course are you going for?
Me: Electrical Engineering
Him: where will you be studying?
Me: Howard University in Washington DC.
Him: why Howard?
Me: HU is research intensive and it caters to my area of interest Power Systems and Control
Him: is that what you did in your undergraduate study?
Me: yes
Him: where?
Me: calls my Nigerian undergraduate uni
Him: did you take GRE?
Me: hands over the test scores
Him: wow. Good.
Him: I see you've been to the US
Me: yes, was there for Christmas last year.
Him: yay! Good for you. Merry Christmas ( in my mind I was asking what's doing this man, biko)
Him: do you have financial aid?
Me: Yes. 35grand from my school
Him: who pays the rest of the 10 grand?
Me: I have some savings and my dad.
Him : what does your dad do?
Me: lists Father's occupation
Him: nice! good for your dad.
Types for 5minutes and I started praying in tongues quietly and asking in my mind what kind of essay is this man typing.
Your visa has been approved. Hands me collection form and Starts I-20 and POE lecture. End!

If you are going there , compose yourself and please pray, biko pray. Its not of him that willeth. I had some discrepancies in mY name, and in bank statement. I asked God to biko cover my errors, let them not ask me for any document. He did! Glory to God!
congrats
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by kennyrony(m): 9:32pm On Jul 15, 2015
amanze15:
u better share all ur money to like four banks, make u do PTA dem fit give u 4000 dollars per bank buy correct hings pant wey dey get pocket angry line ur money inside grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy
Lol.... bro Honestly d issue self dey give me headache ooo
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by OjaP: 9:32pm On Jul 15, 2015
Mystiqme:

This man you are a bozz o. Going for PhD again. You want to leave that huge geology salary to earn pittance as a Grad student.

No bro, I am not leaving my job cheesy. My company is in support, I will hit you up later in the evening.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by kennyrony(m): 9:38pm On Jul 15, 2015
imperiouxx:

Teaching would have be good with it but no school will employ international students who don't have higher degree mostly in science. It all boils down to "we don't file for permanent residence".
Boss d bottle of wine u gave me wen I got my visa never finish oooo. I dey sip am small small. Lol.

Pls what do think about Masters in Geographic Information Science or Environmental Management regarding Job Prospects.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by efizzy22: 9:41pm On Jul 15, 2015
amanze15:

1st visit - super hot Vo made me nervous I was stammering angry
2nd visit- super hot VO spent 10 minutes with me asking me about my family tree and how my cousin would pay 35k school fees, when we are not related undecided
3rd visit- a very experienced VO, who knows my school and was very nice and he ended up issuing me visa and gave me a lengthy lecture on POE n I-20............if u like carry SOA of 100m if them. no wan give U them no wan give U, GRACE, luck and GOD
. Wow. Dats great. Plz bro can you email me some of thr advice/ lecture given to you about the POE. Thanks much.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by ridimic1: 9:43pm On Jul 15, 2015
mhoo:
I just stumbled on this thread ystday (a day to my interview) n considering d fact that going through ppplez interview experiences helped calm my nerves a bit + NL has helped my previous struggles a lot, I decided to share my experience...

I was scheduled for 6:30am put I didn't arrive until past 7 ('cause of the accident on 3rd MLB)... I found favour n those verification guys dint really hassle me about my lateness.

VO (Fine dude): Good morning
ME: Good morning
(Passed him passport, ds160 confirmation n I-20)
VO: Why are you going to the US
ME: For my Masters

VO: What Subject?
ME: Religious Studies

VO: What did you study for undergrad?
ME: Same thing, Religious Studies

VO: When did you finish from Uni
ME: (erroneously said Jan 2010, then I corrected myself) Jan 2011

VO: What have you been doing since then?
ME: Did my NYSC and been working in a bank since 2013

VO: What do you want to do with your Masters?
ME: It is a bridge to where I'm going to (told him my actual career destination) which explains my concentration - Religion & Public engagement
(Then he types to about 1min n I'm busy praying for favour in my mind)

VO (Flips through my passport): Have you ever traveled outside Nigeria?
ME: Yes

VO: Where?
ME: Benin Republic n Liberia (then I'm thinking "hmmmm, is this the time to be louding that you have been to Liberia?"wink

VO: What did you go and do in Liberia?
ME: Went to witness the swearing in of President Sirleaf for 2nd term as part of an entourage for the state government I was working with then (during NYSC).
(Then the dude did plenty typing again o n i did my own silent prayer too)

VO: Are you married?
ME: No (I had initially planned to borrow my sister's engagement ring n complete this answer with I'm engaged to be married o... but I decided to be a proud omo Jesu n flaunt my single status)

VO: Got any kids?
ME: No
(Plenty typing followed again...then the musical, golden statement)

VO: Your Visa has been approved, you can pick up your passport at the circled location within a week (Passes me collection slip and my I-20)
ME: Thank you, Have a nice day!

I hope this helps calm someone's nerves! All the statements n letters I carried remained in my clear bag - not a mention of how I was gonna finance my education. Although I got a full tuition scholarship, I was still pretty freaked out about any issue being raised about my finances.

Goodluck and God's favour to all those coming behind!
(Forgive all typos... I refuse to proofread this my epistle)
congrats
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by texrem(m): 9:47pm On Jul 15, 2015
DanjaNinja:

well there's nothing you can do about it.... I'm d shy type n d devil was actually sitting beside me cos I wondered why I lost confidence during the interview while I was full of energy before the interview.....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by ridimic1: 9:47pm On Jul 15, 2015
holakunle:
Preamble

My application was denied on April, 2015. Nervousness, inadequate preparation and an apparent error on the I-20 contributed to the refusal. I stammered from the first question to the last. The denial was a funny story because I have a valid B1/B2 visa (in fact I just returned from a vacation in the US) with previous visits to France, Germany, Netherlands and South Africa.

Fast forward to yesterday. I knew only God can give me a stress/anxiety free interview. So I fasted with prayer point on Divine Favour. I ended the fast at 3 when body no fit continue. lol.

Today

Got to the venue late this morning, the official at the confirmation table threatened to send me back for because I cited traffic as excuse for coming late. I just they look the guy.

I entered eventually around 9am. Joined the queue and started my prayer point declaration.

I got to the VO, he told me to hold on. Another guy, probably a new VO, came behind him and they discussed for about a minute.

VO: Please put your right fingers on the scanner….bla bla bla

Me: I complied

VO: Where have you traveled to?

Me: France, Germany, Netherlands, South Africa and the US

VO: Cuts in! So you have been to the US several times

Me: No. Just Once. This April

VO: What did you go for?

Me: Vacation.

VO: What do you do for work?

Me: I am a Bleep in an Bleep firm in Nigeria

VO: So why do you want to go to the US

Me: Going for graduate studies in Engineering

VO: Cuts in. Oh so you are going for school. I missed that. I didn’t check your documents well.

VO: How did you get the school and why Montana State

Me: I made research through usnews.com, gradstudy and google. I picked the school because it has a strong reputation in engineering and the courses in the department are structured with research demands in the the mineral industry.

VO: ok. How much do you earn?

Me: Whispered XXYYZZ

VO: How do you plan to fund your studies?

Me: I have some money saved up

VO: Looking concerned. Montana is a remote state in the US. Why did you pick a school in the state?

Me: I used some criteria during my search. School Reputation and Quality of the education and gbam, Montana came up. I actually said Gbam...lol

VO: Are you married

Me: No. Single

VO: Folded my passport and tossed me the I-20. Then said thanks for coming. You can pick up blab la bla

Me: Thank you Sir

Glory be to God in the highest for the wonderful thing He has done.
congrats
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by akin3102(m): 9:48pm On Jul 15, 2015
Boss.. Congrats but u actually made my day.I laughed and started rolling on the floor.Gbam..wat a word.
holakunle:
Preamble

My application was denied on April, 2015. Nervousness, inadequate preparation and an apparent error on the I-20 contributed to the refusal. I stammered from the first question to the last. The denial was a funny story because I have a valid B1/B2 visa (in fact I just returned from a vacation in the US) with previous visits to France, Germany, Netherlands and South Africa.

Fast forward to yesterday. I knew only God can give me a stress/anxiety free interview. So I fasted with prayer point on Divine Favour. I ended the fast at 3 when body no fit continue. lol.

Today

Got to the venue late this morning, the official at the confirmation table threatened to send me back for because I cited traffic as excuse for coming late. I just they look the guy.

I entered eventually around 9am. Joined the queue and started my prayer point declaration.

I got to the VO, he told me to hold on. Another guy, probably a new VO, came behind him and they discussed for about a minute.

VO: Please put your right fingers on the scanner….bla bla bla

Me: I complied

VO: Where have you traveled to?

Me: France, Germany, Netherlands, South Africa and the US

VO: Cuts in! So you have been to the US several times

Me: No. Just Once. This April

VO: What did you go for?

Me: Vacation.

VO: What do you do for work?

Me: I am a Bleep in an Bleep firm in Nigeria

VO: So why do you want to go to the US

Me: Going for graduate studies in Engineering

VO: Cuts in. Oh so you are going for school. I missed that. I didn’t check your documents well.

VO: How did you get the school and why Montana State

Me: I made research through usnews.com, gradstudy and google. I picked the school because it has a strong reputation in engineering and the courses in the department are structured with research demands in the the mineral industry.

VO: ok. How much do you earn?

Me: Whispered XXYYZZ

VO: How do you plan to fund your studies?

Me: I have some money saved up

VO: Looking concerned. Montana is a remote state in the US. Why did you pick a school in the state?

Me: I used some criteria during my search. School Reputation and Quality of the education and gbam, Montana came up. I actually said Gbam...lol

VO: Are you married

Me: No. Single

VO: Folded my passport and tossed me the I-20. Then said thanks for coming. You can pick up blab la bla

Me: Thank you Sir

Glory be to God in the highest for the wonderful thing He has done.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jul 15, 2015
kennyrony:

Boss d bottle of wine u gave me wen I got my visa never finish oooo. I dey sip am small small. Lol.

Pls what do think about Masters in Geographic Information Science or Environmental Management regarding Job Prospects.
Thanks for today bro. Ori e gum sibe

(1) (2) (3) ... (213) (214) (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) ... (402)

GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** / General Australian Visa Enquiries / North Cyprus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.