Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,036 members, 7,825,256 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 10:15 AM

Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore (6286 Views)

Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? / Why Don't You Eat Before Church? / Prayer Points To Break The Powers Of Witchcraft (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by bawomolo(m): 11:14pm On Feb 08, 2009
if u take a look through the bible(Old and New Testament), there are miraculous things been performed by humans like us

walking on water

turning water to wine

rising from the dead

living to be 900 years (did our oxygen supply reduce or something)

having spiritual armies like Elisha

healing the sick

controlling the moon and sun by raising our hands

having the strength of Sampson

escaping from jail like Paul tongue

How did we lose our supernatural abilities, what have we humans done wrong cool
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by Nobody: 4:22am On Feb 09, 2009
We? At that time period was it every human that had such super powers?
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by Image123(m): 12:54pm On Feb 09, 2009
@bawolomo
You've got some of your 'points' upside down and ot all correct.Anyway,the people of old believed in God and lived lives that pleased God but most people in our days do not have faith.They doubt God.They doubt what God can do and even what He did in the past,maybe because they now know some science.God is not a magician,He honours faith.If we have faith and are faithful,we can still see the works of God.There are testimonies of God's work in some people's life and ministry today still.If you can believe,you will see the glory of God
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by toneyb: 11:47pm On Feb 09, 2009
we have stories about Elijah when he issued the challenge to call fire down from heaven and it did in the bible. i wonder why all the gods seem to have fled after the bible(koranic) events were written.
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by bawomolo(m): 11:55pm On Feb 09, 2009
stillwater:

We? At that time period was it every human that had such super powers?

human beings once lived longer than 100years to the point of living to 900 years shocked. considering the advances of the day, why aren't we living that long. did our oxygen supply magically decrease?

what happened. not every human have such powers but why aren't they present now. Why haven't we seen someone with just half the power of Sampson.

why are the miraculous acts present in the Bible not seen today?

Image123:

@bawolomo
You've got some of your 'points' upside down and ot all correct.Anyway,the people of old believed in God and lived lives that pleased God but most people in our days do not have faith.They doubt God.They doubt what God can do and even what He did in the past,maybe because they now know some science.God is not a magician,He honours faith.If we have faith and are faithful,we can still see the works of God.There are testimonies of God's work in some people's life and ministry today still.If you can believe,you will see the glory of God

since you are believe, can you explain the glory of God to me in physical terms. Has an oil spill been cleaned up by believing?? Why don't we see the physical manifestations of God's work today like brimstones falling on the taliban.

toneyb:

we have stories about Elijah when he issued the challenge to call fire down from heaven and it did in the bible. i wonder why all the gods seem to have fled after the bible(koranic) events were written.

They may be waiting for the second coming.
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by farotika(m): 8:37am On Feb 10, 2009
Jesus said: "f any man believe in me, the work dat I do will he do also, greater work than this will he do because I go unto my father"

He also said: "When I come back to the world, will I meet faith on earth?"

The promises of God are still yea and amen. The problem we have is our faithlessness. Faith simply means: Forsaking All, I Trust Him. But today, a lot of things have clouded our mind and taken the position of God in our life. The Devil has clouded our heart with the affairs of this world. We dont want to wait on God, we want to make it quickly thru any means possible forgetting dat the eyes of God are purer than to behold iniquity.

If Jesus had fallen to the temptation of the devil and bowed down to the devil in exchange for the possession of this world, then Jesus would have fallen out of place with God but he was able to resist the temptation and thereby became the saviour of the world.

Concerning the issue of human life span, God Himself b/cos of our continued sinful nature had at one time or the other reduced the life span of human being; the last reduction was to 70 years.

Moreover, a good x-tian will not wish to spent 200 years in this sinful world when he knows he would be seeing God whenever he closes his eyes in death.

Shallom!
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by Image123(m): 10:15am On Feb 10, 2009
The Lord still works signs and wonders today.As I said,if you can believe,you will see.God is not raining massive judgement on anybody because we are in the period that the Bible tags as the period of grace.Jesus came with that grace and the grace is available for everyone to repent of their ways and believe on/in Jesus for salvation.
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by Nobody: 6:14pm On Feb 10, 2009
bawomolo:

human beings once lived longer than 100years to the point of living to 900 years shocked. considering the advances of the day, why aren't we living that long. did our oxygen supply magically decrease?

Genesis 6:3 throws some light on that. You have your bible, right? tongue
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by manmustwac(m): 7:33pm On Feb 10, 2009
@babawalo
Na woa for you what makes u think that we have lost our supernatural abilities? Haven't u seen how Pastor Chris makes a blind man see, or a lame woman walk, or a cure a man with cancer and diabetes all with the power of his hand? Why are you deluding yourself?  Switch on your brain
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by bawomolo(m): 7:45pm On Feb 10, 2009
stillwater:

Genesis 6:3 throws some light on that. You have your bible, right? tongue

thanks a lot. damn just 120 years

Concerning the issue of human life span, God Himself b/cos of our continued sinful nature had at one time or the other reduced the life span of human being; the last reduction was to 70 years.

but there are people who live past 70 years, or does God give jara cheesy

manmustwac:

@babawalo
Na woa for you what makes u think that we have lost our supernatural abilities? Haven't u seen how Pastor Chris makes a blind man see, or a lame woman walk, or a cure a man with cancer and diabetes all with the power of his hand? Why are you deluding yourself? Switch on your brain

story story, dat one na old news. Some people speak of a man called daddy who oversees a camp ground in Ogun State. Is he true he rode 300km on a car without petrol. Those are the kind of powers i want.
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by manmustwac(m): 11:14pm On Feb 10, 2009
bawomolo:

story story, dat one na old news. Some people speak of a man called daddy who oversees a camp ground in Ogun State. Is he true he rode 300km on a car without petrol. Those are the kind of powers i want.
So u don't believe that Pastor Chris can cure cancer diabetes or a blind person with his hand? But u belive that a man can drive 300 miles in a car without petrol. So like Christians who read the Bible u pick and chose what u want to believe.
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by bawomolo(m): 2:55am On Feb 11, 2009
manmustwac:

So u don't believe that Pastor Chris can cure cancer diabetes or a blind person with his hand? But u belive that a man can drive 300 miles in a car without petrol. So like Christians who read the Bible u pick and chose what u want to believe.

puh lease, do you know how much i can make with my line of energy efficient cars??
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by Image123(m): 10:18am On Feb 11, 2009
@bawolomo
If you need powers from God,all you need do is simply receive Jesus truly into your life.The Bible says as many as received Him,to them He gave power.Thats the way to begin your power journey.But with power,you'll also need other fruits of the spirit like humility and purity
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by Okijajuju1(m): 5:00pm On Feb 11, 2009
Matt 17:20

20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.KJV

Matt 21:21

21 Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done.
KJV

Now the truth is that this goes to show you that the bble is either filled with unachievable fantasies, or the mental competence of the authors of the bible needs to be checked.
Lets go back to the bible stories starting with Wild animals devouring kids, floating axes, fire from heaven, double portion power transfer e.t.c. Or bending time by holding the sun and moon, or Samson beating up an entire army (No!! Its not a movie, and No!! he is not Rambo, Jet li or the Terminator), or Manna from heaven (delivered by birds), A pool that was being stirred by angels once in a blue moon that could heal anything, to dead men rising, to people being swallowed whole by a whale and surviving for three days inside its stomach, to feeding of a multitde with 5 bread and two fishes, to someone turning into a pillar of salt. I could keep on going. We all know and have heard the stories.

Now someone said it didnt happen to everyone, but the truth is that nobody today seems to have that kind of power and yet we belong to a generation that prays more, fast more, attend night vigils, speak in non-existing tongues, use the most olive oils, handkerchiefs e.t.c. Why havent we heard of a minister who feeds a multitude with five cups of garri, two cubes of sugar and one sachet of pure water?? Afterall the bible did says in the book of matthew and I quote

Matt 21:22

22 And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.
KJV

NOTE; All things, whatsoever. Meaning a car, house, a Gulfstream V, an Island, a spaceship, anything your mind can imagine.
Seriously!! Everytime I hear this passage, I break down in laughter.

I will personally submit myself to be crucified the day I see this happen.

We have qualified "men of God" in the world today. Its not like it is happening abroad. Even with the likes of Smith Wrigglesworth, Katherine Kulman, John/Joel Osteen, Oyedepo, Adeboye, Kumuyi, Isa El-buba, e.t.c. I will love to see one either walk on water or split water and walk on dry land. Is that too much to ask??

MIND YOU, the bible did say in the book of Hebrew and I quote

Heb 13:8

8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.
KJV

So why hasent anything cool happened again since after Jesus was assasinated.
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by toneyb: 6:29pm On Feb 11, 2009
Okija_juju:

Now the truth is that this goes to show you that the bble is either filled with unachievable fantasies, or the mental competence of the authors of the bible needs to be checked.
Lets go back to the bible stories starting with Wild animals devouring kids, floating axes, fire from heaven, double portion power transfer e.t.c. Or bending time by holding the sun and moon, or Samson beating up an entire army (No!! Its not a movie, and No!! he is not Rambo, Jet li or the Terminator), or Manna from heaven (delivered by birds), A pool that was being stirred by angels once in a blue moon that could heal anything, to dead men rising, to people being swallowed whole by a whale and surviving for three days inside its stomach, to feeding of a multitde with 5 bread and two fishes, to someone turning into a pillar of salt. I could keep on going. We all know and have heard the stories.

Now someone said it didnt happen to everyone, but the truth is that nobody today seems to have that kind of power and yet we belong to a generation that prays more, fast more, attend night vigils, speak in non-existing tongues, use the most olive oils, handkerchiefs e.t.c. Why havent we heard of a minister who feeds a multitude with five cups of garri, two cubes of sugar and one sachet of pure water?? Afterall the bible did says in the book of matthew and I quote

NOTE; All things, whatsoever. Meaning a car, house, a Gulfstream V, an Island, a spaceship, anything your mind can imagine.
Seriously!! Everytime I hear this passage, I break down in laughter.

I will personally submit myself to be crucified the day I see this happen.

We have qualified "men of God" in the world today. Its not like it is happening abroad. Even with the likes of Smith Wrigglesworth, Katherine Kulman, John/Joel Osteen, Oyedepo, Adeboye, Kumuyi, Isa El-buba, e.t.c. I will love to see one either walk on water or split water and walk on dry land. Is that too much to ask??

MIND YOU, the bible did say in the book of Hebrew and I quote

The problem is that most people believe the fiction and fantasy that were written by medieval men as true, we could not seperate fiction from realities at that time because the people that could write were very few, most of those medieval men wrote fiction and fantasies but because there wasn't a difference between fiction and reality as we have it in todays world their fantasy and fiction were passed from generation to generation as the trueword of their god. If Harry porter were written in that period it would be regarded as a divine revelation and the true word of god .
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by Image123(m): 9:34pm On Feb 11, 2009
If you can believe,you'll see the glory of God.okija_juju has mentioned some impressive names of known people with the the power of God present in their ministries.You could do your personal research(es).It should help your faith
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by toneyb: 9:45pm On Feb 11, 2009
Image123:

If you can believe,you'll see the glory of God.okija_juju has mentioned some impressive names of known people with the the power of God present in their ministries.You could do your personal research(es).It should help your faith

do you believe that pastor adeboye travelled for about 200 miles on an empty tank? i read some where that he made a person grow taller do you really believe any of these things really happened?
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by toneyb: 11:03pm On Feb 11, 2009
As i said ealier the bible is the writings(fantasy and fiction) of ancient and primitive men. the funny parts are the parts i love most.

"And thou shalt have a paddle upon thy weapon; and it shall be, when thou wilt ease thyself abroad, thou shalt dig therewith, and shalt turn back and cover that which cometh from thee:
For the LORD thy God walketh in the midst of thy camp, to deliver thee, and to give up thine enemies before thee; therefore shall thy camp be holy: that he see no unclean thing in thee, and turn away from thee." -Deuteronomy 23:13-14

Isn't that a scream? Just picture God walking in the midst of the camp and stepping in a big steaming pile of excrement because some lazy Israeli soldier didn't bury it with a paddle on his weapon! Imagine Yahweh's rage! so a pile of excrement in the camp is enough to make Yahweh turn away from his people

God takes such matters quite seriously. He doesn't like anyone pissing against the wall either:

"And it came to pass, when he began to reign, as soon as he sat on his throne, that he slew all the house of Baasha: he left him not one that pisseth against a wall, neither of his kinsfolks, nor of his friends." - 1 Kings 16:11. (See also 21:21)

In fact, the Bible is just brimming with scatological humor. I'll leave you with just one more example:

"But Rabshakeh said unto them, Hath my master sent me to thy master, and to thee, to speak these words? hath he not sent me to the men which sit on the wall, that they may eat their own dung, and drink their own piss with you?" -2 Kings 18:27

Why don't pastors ever base their Sunday sermons on chestnuts like these? The Bible is full of these howlers, so why dwell on the bland parts? The Bible is a hoot! It's basically the writings(fantasy, fiction and views) of ancient men that were not peer- reviewed in any way.
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by Image123(m): 11:08pm On Feb 11, 2009
@toneyb
Go and do your own findings to be sure.There's no point coming to the net to laugh hysterically or pass cynical remarks about what you dont even have a vague idea of.Don't waste your life on them say
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by smurf1(f): 11:09pm On Feb 11, 2009
You mean turning humans to goats lipsrsealed

And yeah least i forget, helmets dissappearing as well grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by Moyola(f): 11:16pm On Feb 11, 2009
living to be 900 years (did our oxygen supply reduce or something)

GLOBAL WARMING!!! tongue

Buh theres a verse in the bible that says, a time will come that anyone that dies a 100yrz old wuld be considered a child. undecided
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by bawomolo(m): 7:16am On Feb 12, 2009

paul and his compatriot did break out of Jail tongue

Peter broke out too after prayers by his supporters. i believe an angel helped himout. One has to wonder, why did these miraculous acts cease. or should we consider acid rain an act of God?

~smurf:

You mean turning humans to goats lipsrsealed

And yeah least i forget, helmets dissappearing as well grin grin grin grin grin

he he see african wonder grin
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by Image123(m): 12:48pm On Feb 12, 2009
@bawomolo
Joh 11:40 Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?
Don't be a doubter
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by Okijajuju1(m): 2:05pm On Feb 12, 2009
Image123:

@bawomolo
Joh 11:40 Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?
Don't be a doubter

So Image123, What you are saying is that if you actually go tell Aso Rock to move and be cast into the atlantic, and you have faith it will happen?? Or that if you pray and believe in your heart that God will send down manna from heaven that you will actually see birds bringing food to you??

Its not a matter of doubting, its a matter of have you seen it happen, or with your level of education, do you actually think it is possible?? Do you believe that any living "Man of God" can walk on water??

If so, why didnt Pastor Bimbo Odukoya (RIP), pray and have angels lift the sosoliso aircraft and stop it from crashing.
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by Tonyet1(m): 2:23pm On Feb 12, 2009
[size=13pt][font=Gill sans mt condensed]
Why haven't we seen someone with just half the power of Sampson.

have you read or watched the guinness book of records?[/font]
[/size]
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by ots: 4:26pm On Feb 12, 2009
@ OKIJA JUJU
the name sound weird but cannot scare someone like me cos i have better shield in that name JESUS. Your view and that of the poster is too myopic to get this kind of attention. but if u are not clear enough, try making a visit to heaven and querry GOD but i doubt if u b allow in with this kind of mind.
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by toneyb: 4:37pm On Feb 12, 2009
ots:

@ OKIJA JUJU
the name sound weird but cannot scare someone like me cos i have better shield in that name JESUS. Your view and that of the poster is too myopic to get this kind of attention. but if u are not clear enough, try making a visit to heaven and querry GOD but i doubt if u b allow in with this kind of mind.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by Image123(m): 7:05pm On Feb 12, 2009
okija juju
God is not a magician doing tricks and wonders so that you can clap and be amused.He has a bigger design than that
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by Okijajuju1(m): 7:28pm On Feb 12, 2009
OTS

Your user name also sounds weird, but I wouldnt be bothered by it since the sheild you supposedly have died over 2000years ago.

Now you call our views myopic, could you please explain. I have shown you countless pages from the bible where we see people showing super human strenght (Samson) Judges chapter 13 through to 16, a man being swallowed by whale and survived three days in its stomach (NOTE: without oxygen, food or water) Jonah chapters 1 through 4, a man being able to call fire from heaven (Elijah) II Kings chapter 1 , we have heard of a woman turning into a pillar of salt (Lot's wife) Genesis chapter 19:26, we read of a man being lifted into heaven in a chariot of fire (Elijah) II Kings chapter 2:11, we read of pools being stirred by angels that could heal all illnesses/affliction (Bethesda) Luke chapter 5:4, or is it the case where a sunken axe floated (Elijah) II Kings 6: 5 & 6, e.t.c.

I could keep on going. We only asked a very simple question, and i will repeat it for you to hear;

QUESTION: WHY DONT WE HAVE THE TYPE OF SUPERNATURAL POWER EXHIBITED BY PEOPLE IN THE BIBLE

Why cant Adeboye walk on water, or Chris Oyakhilome feed the multitude that attends his "TOTAL EXPERIENCE" with Five loaves of Agege Bread and 2 cans of Sardines?? Why cant T.B Joshua raise the dead (I'm not talking about these rubbish they tell us about o!! I'm talking of a body that has been embalmed) , Why dont we have a pool somewhere in the world today were an angel comes to stir it once a year to heal all sicknesses??

O.k Talk about biblical promises, Telling a mountain to move. I know it is impossible. But the bible says it is, so why hasnt anybody tested their faith yet.

I want to see Adeboye/Oyakhilome/Okotie/Joshua/e.t.c heal an amputee, or walk on water. WHy is it so difficult?

If you know any reason why such cool things dont happen anymore, feel free to enlighten us.
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by Busybody2(f): 7:41pm On Feb 12, 2009

Why haven't we seen someone with just half the power of Sampson.

tonye-t:

[size=13pt][font=Gill sans mt condensed]
have you read or watched the guinness book of records?[/font]
[/size]

Word kiss And it is not even a religious manual wink
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by bawomolo(m): 7:48pm On Feb 12, 2009
have you read or watched the guinness book of records?

do you know how powerful samson was, that man pulled down a whole building with his two hands    Why haven't such a feat been repeated again.  

Image123:

@bawomolo
Joh 11:40  Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?
Don't be a doubter

Image123, the question is why aren't there physical manifestations of God's Glory, these manifestations were common in the both testaments.  Can i split the River Niger in two if i believe?

God is not a magician doing tricks and wonders so that you can clap and be amused.He has a bigger design than that

If so, why did God spend all that time playing mind tricks with the Pharaoh of Egypt? if i light you on fire, would you survive.  Daniel and his two cohorts survive such a burning.  Your belief should be literally and figuratively fireproof.

http://mcdonaldroad.org/sermons/96/960907.htm
Re: Why Don't We Have Super Powers Anymore by Okijajuju1(m): 8:14pm On Feb 12, 2009
Thank you bawo

Busy_body, show me in the guiness book of records where one man was able to beat up the entire army of another country single handedly. angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Want To Know The Meaning Of My Name ''QUAMDEEN'' / Having A Test Or Exams In Dream / I Had Sex With My Pastor Daughter In Church Toilet Severally...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.