Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,195 members, 7,818,651 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:47 PM

The Cul De Sac - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Cul De Sac (47542 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 1:59pm On May 20, 2015
SIX

2 Likes

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 2:00pm On May 20, 2015
Xyz.

3 Likes

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 2:01pm On May 20, 2015
‘’Why not channel all that emotion into holy anger? Holy anger that will not make you rest until we catch the killer. Holy anger that will propel you with a vengeance’’

Then Chichi reached for a bar of chocolate and peeled off the wrapper slowly. She bit into it and sighed in satisfaction ‘’I need a cup of coffee’’ she announced. All the while Unique watched her with a smile playing at the corner of his mouth ‘’whatttttttttttttt?’’ she yelled.

‘’Finish your chocolate and come over so we can discuss our game plan. We have a lot of people to interview. 8 houses nor be beans…’’

‘’8 houses? Chei! Hit and run on a major road is even better because people would not allow the driver get away. Oh God, why did I join the police force?’’ Chichi joked.

‘’You know I ask myself that same question every bloody time. By the way, you got chocolate stuck by the corner of your mouth.

Then Chichi bowed her head and began to rub her mouth while Unique continued to laugh at her.

2 Likes

Re: The Cul De Sac by almadebe(f): 4:52pm On May 20, 2015
Very nice story meder, I pity Mrs buma
Re: The Cul De Sac by almadebe(f): 4:52pm On May 20, 2015
Very nice story meder, I pity Mrs buma, pearl too
Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 1:07pm On May 21, 2015
almadebe:
Very nice story meder, I pity Mrs buma, pearl too

Thanks
Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 1:11pm On May 21, 2015
SEVEN

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 1:12pm On May 21, 2015
Unique studied the young man as he opened the gate slowly. He could not have been older than 16 to 17 years of age. His face was riddled with a lot of pimples but that was okay for a growing boy. He wore a tight sky blue T-shirt and a pair of dark brown jeans. He appeared sad but if you bent you head in another direction, you could easily mistake the look for one of resignation.

Suddenly the young boy spoke up again ‘’my father has been expecting you people since the start of the week’’

‘’And what of your mother?’’

‘’She is away on a trip’’

‘’Is your father at home?’’ Unique asked.

‘’Yes he is’’

Then Chichi took over from him her colleague ‘’I presume you are Dennis?’’

‘’Yes I am ma’’

‘’We are sorry for your loss. We will do everything within our power to help. Please stick around because we have some questions to ask’’

Then Dennis nodded at them and pushed the door aside. As he ran up the stairs to call his father, Unique looked around the house. It was a beautiful house with all the trappings of a wealthy owner. There were pictures on a low table and it was heartbreaking to see the picture of the young girl.

On the wall, stood more pictures; family pictures, paintings and a large clock. A beautiful chandelier was stationed at the center of the ceiling. At the far end of the parlor, there was a picture of the patriarch. It was quite large and it looked rather imposing ‘’see your husband people’’ Unique whispered.

Then Chichi’s face lit up with a smile ‘’the learned ones. Who is as noble a barrister? Show me a profession that compares with the men and women in wig’’

‘’Ermmmmmmmm… drag queens, burlesque dancers or actors in an 18th century stage play’’

‘’Asshole!’’ Chichi whispered.

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 1:13pm On May 21, 2015
Xyz.

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 1:14pm On May 21, 2015
‘’Its okay sir, we will do our best’’ Chichi whispered. ‘’It’s important you also realize that the perpetrator of this dastardly act may not be a neighbour. It might be a visitor who will not mention a thing to his host’’

The professor was quiet for a while as he pondered on what Chichi just said. Some seconds later, he announced ‘’you have a point officer. It’s somewhat comforting to see it like that but something tells me that was not the case. I feel it deep within and I can’t explain it’’

‘’And that is what we will help to unravel’’ Unique concluded. ‘’I was wondering if we could speak to the kids now’’

Then Professor Buwa nodded at them and began to yell their names. He was still seated on his chair but Chichi felt it would be better if they spoke to the kids alone. As long as the younger one didn’t feel threatened in anyway, it was better that way. Some children were more outspoken in the absence of their parents. She gave the professor a wry smile and asked if anyone else lived with them and he replied in the negative. Then Chichi continued quietly ‘’I was wondering if we could speak to the children alone?’’

The professor look perplexed for a second or two then he shrugged his shoulders ‘’erm… that’s fine but all I ask is that you be gentle with the little one. I don’t want a case where he is made to go on and on about what he has no idea about. I don’t want anyone to take him on a guilt trip’’
‘’It’s not a problem prof, we are professionals and we handle cases like this all the time’’ Chichi replied.

Then Professor Buwa excused himself and the children emerged. Dennis had little or nothing to add to what his dad said. He said before the incident, he was in his room and he didn’t hear anything. He said he was lying on his bed with his headphone blasting music. He actually had the large headphone around his neck as he spoke. He insisted no car drove in or left the street.

There was no chance someone drove by after the incident. He said he sat by the corner and watched. As a matter of fact, his father recruited the mallam across their house and the street was barricaded. Some neighbours hung around as well and kept them company until his father returned.

Once Dennis was done with his version, he asked to be excused so they allowed him leave. He wandered off somewhere and returned with a glass of water and bloodshot eyes. Next it was the turn of the young Michael.

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 6:10pm On May 22, 2015
EIGHT

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 6:12pm On May 22, 2015
Xyz

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 6:14pm On May 22, 2015
Chichi looked at Unique and he shook his head to indicate it wasn’t necessary so she quickly continued ‘’no need, just show me here, in your parlor’’

Some seconds later, it was done. Michael insisted he was by the gate while his sister was some feet away. From his explanation, it appeared like he was partially within the compound when the initial impact occurred. He explained that he was going to tell his parents that Maureen was trying to cross the road. With the recreation done, give or take Maureen was about 8 to 10 feet away.

By the time, the detectives got out of the house, they heaved a collective sigh of relief ‘’I never want to do that again’’ Chichi announced.

‘’Then you better hand in your resignation’’ Unique advised.

‘’Jesus Christ! That was emotionally draining; I need to see a shrink or something. How long did we spend in there and to think we still have 8 houses!’’

‘’We better get cracking then. I don’t think we need to worry too much about the first two houses for now. We can safely conclude the occupants are not the perpetrators although they might have seen or heard something. I’m willing to place my money on the houses at the bottom of the street so let’s work our way up from there’’

‘’Good thinking’’ Chichi concluded.

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by gal10(f): 8:34pm On May 22, 2015
Welldone touchmeder! Good to see this! Following ya. Please don't stop!

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 12:36pm On May 24, 2015
gal10:
Welldone touchmeder! Good to see this! Following ya. Please don't stop!

Oh thanks. Its good to have you with this story. smiley
Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 12:38pm On May 24, 2015
NINE

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 12:43pm On May 24, 2015
Before the detectives sat down, Nogie rushed towards the sofa and began to dust it. Once she was done, she smiled at them and announced it was okay to sit down. Then she kicked some toys aside and began to grumble when one injured her ‘’oh my God, what an evil tricycle! What do I do with these children of mine? Everywhere is like a playroom to them. Oh a mother’s job is indeed fulltime’’

The detectives smiled at themselves but said nothing. Once Nogie was satisfied with her attempt at clearing her parlor, she ran to the kitchen and fetched a huge slice of cake with cold water. She arranged it in front of the detectives and announced with gusto ‘’my home made carrot cake. Please enjoy’’

Then she spent the next few minutes, giving then a low down of every soul who lived on the street – none was exempt! Of course she began with Professor Buwa and his kind wife who worked as a geography teacher in a government secondary school. She knew the rich chief who lived opposite them; she quickly added he was the one with the hideous pitanga plant.

She knew the neighbours who occupied the house before the Buwa’s. Nogie added that the owner was a cocky old doctor who suddenly felt he was better than everyone. She said he was lucky enough to run to Saudi Arabia when they were badly in need of doctors. She added that he was once a simple doctor who worked at UBTH. She went on to say he was so rich now. He even bought the house opposite and now rented it out to a hermit! She said it was so bad, no one knew what the spinster (hermit) looked like. But she quickly added that she had met the lady and the woman worked at government house.

She went on to tell them about Engineer Akindele and his young family who lived opposite her house. She said his children (Bimbo and Shola) loved the evil red fruit they call pitanga. She spoke about the elderly widow who lived after Professor Buwa. She said Mrs Bricks was a lovely soul but her problem was she didn’t know how to let go off her son ‘’that boy should be 35 plus but he is still living with his mother! It is so sad because he should be in his own house with his own wife and children. I don’t know how Mrs Bricks can be comfortable with someone else’s husband in her home! She needs to kick that boy out. He has sucked enough bre.ast!’’

Then she continued on like a typewriter. She spoke about the recluse (who lived opposite the Ebosele’s) and his young mistress – emphasis on the word mistress and not wife. She stressed the lady was latching on to the poor widow. She said the mistress drove the late wife and took over the house. She spoke about the recluse son (a young lawyer) and she called him a good for nothing ‘charge and bail’ lawyer ‘’bum is what he is!’’ Nogie cried out, ‘’once you see him, you’d know what I mean. He cannot be older than 25/26 but the smoking has made him age considerably!’’

At that junction, Chichi frowned her fair face – she was an advocate for all lawyers and she didn’t like to hear rubbish about the noble people! Then Nogie, spoke about her family. She said her husband was a business man who was away most of the time. She quickly added that every other neighbour she had not mentioned were not so relevant.

Then finally she capped up by speaking about the wonderful doctor who lived with her husband and son in the next compound. By the time she was done, Chichi felt like throwing her exceptionally sweet cake in her face! On the other hand, Unique was excited, there was nothing as good as a chatty neighbour. They could cut your work in half and throw more light on a nagging issue. Unique watched her talk some more before he asked the next question ‘’so what happened that night?’’ He continued to munch his cake; the cake was crap but he was hungry so he didn’t mind.

Then Nogie continued to chatter like a parrot ‘’oh what a night it was! I was alone with the kids and the small girl that stays with me. My husband was away on another business trip; God bless him - still is by the way. My kids were in the bedroom and my help was trying to get the baby to sleep. I was in the kitchen preparing the soup for the following day then NEPA took their yeye light. Before I could find my rechargeable lamp to put on my generator, what did I hear? My good officers, ask me what I heard’’

Chichi rolled her eyes in her mind but she could see Unique was having a ball ‘’what did you hear?’’ he asked. He had pushed his jotter aside and was recording the conversation with Nogie’s permission. She spoke too much and too fast so it was necessary in her case.

3 Likes

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 12:47pm On May 24, 2015
Meanwhile, Nogie continued her take with such zest ‘’a shrill cry broke into the night. My officers, immediately goose pimple appeared all over my body and I could feel the hair at the back of my neck stand! Immediately I locked my doors and put down my curtains. Thankfully my gate was locked, always is. I could hear footsteps running down the street and when it got to the front of my house, the person began to scream and shake the gate. Immediately, I put off the lamp and headed for my room. No more generator that night; me I nor wan know. Even my egusi soup was left half cooked until the following morning. It was the next day I heard it was Mrs Buwa lamenting the night before. Chai! I felt so bad I could not come out and help but it was not my fault now. Na naija we dey plus I am a young woman with no man to protect me’’

‘’I understand’’ Unique whispered.

‘’My officers, na so I take see the matter oh. Like I said, I went to bed immediately and it was the next day I heard the full story’’

‘’So you heard nothing before the cry. I mean like if a car went by or anything…’’

‘’No, no, no, no nothing of that sort – sorry. I was cooking in my kitchen. I couldn’t have heard a thing if someone was having a go at it in my living room!’’

Then Chichi coughed and Nogie apologized ‘’I’m sorry just trying to make it clear, I didn’t hear or see anything’’

Then Chichi got up, for her, Nogie’s attempt at helping came to naught. It was a complete waste of time and they needed to leave her house ASAP! She stretched out his hand for a handshake ‘’thank you for your time Mrs erm…’’

‘’Noruwa – Mrs Nogie Nekpen Noruwa’’

‘’That’s a bit of a tongue twister’’ Unique joked. ‘’I bet I’ll struggle if I had to say that really fast’’

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by Uniquekriss(m): 1:31pm On May 24, 2015
Hmmmm. No time.
Re: The Cul De Sac by oromankirisi(f): 1:32pm On May 24, 2015
..nice one
Re: The Cul De Sac by chrisbaby24(m): 2:22pm On May 24, 2015
Very nice one...keep it up ...
Re: The Cul De Sac by may01(f): 2:42pm On May 24, 2015
This is a beautiful story Op. Pls continue, can't wait to read more
Re: The Cul De Sac by OsoDupe(f): 3:03pm On May 24, 2015
Hmmmm Bogie Nekpen Noruwa. Nice one.
Re: The Cul De Sac by OsoDupe(f): 3:04pm On May 24, 2015
OsoDupe:
Hmmmm Nogie Nekpen Noruwa. Nice one.
Re: The Cul De Sac by UjSizzle(f): 3:26pm On May 24, 2015
I like this Nogie character grin Serious busybody neighbor.

Nice story OP. I also like the Nkemdilim story on your blog (but your Igbo is terrible sha tongue)
Re: The Cul De Sac by chrisbaby24(m): 3:31pm On May 24, 2015
oromankirisi:
..nice one
Nne iwu pure oroma... Fine babe.. cool

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by BlizzydoDo(f): 3:36pm On May 24, 2015
Interestin.
Re: The Cul De Sac by jorlons(m): 3:50pm On May 24, 2015
Uniquekriss:
Hmmmm. No time.

Unique hw far na. Abeg try investigate the matter well O. Greet ChiChi for me when you see her.

@Op, A very creative and interesting storyline I must say. Dis one na bumper to bumper following things.
Re: The Cul De Sac by missterious(f): 4:10pm On May 24, 2015
Just like that, Nogie is my favourite character. grin
I feel like Prof Buwa didn't feel his daughter's death at all. Minutes after seeing her corpse, he's already playing detective? lipsrsealed
I missed Unique. smiley
Chichi is married now with a kid? Awesome. smiley
Ride on, touchmeder. Update everyday oh. tongue

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by Missmossy(f): 4:17pm On May 24, 2015
This is such a lovely story,really feel sad for the family of Maureen. Kudos Touchmeder.
Re: The Cul De Sac by sexyjennik(f): 4:56pm On May 24, 2015
Since I started reading this story I haven't been able to drop my phone and now that am done with these updates I keep asking for more like Oliver Twist grin don't blame me, it's a nice story.

Come and continue o cheesy

More knowledge to your brain for more fiction like this but first come and finish this one grin
Re: The Cul De Sac by CecyAdrian(f): 4:57pm On May 24, 2015
Very creative and captivating piece
Expecting more

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply)

"Desire" By John Mfon / Selfless Desires / The Child Bride

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.