Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,768 members, 7,820,684 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:27 PM

The Cul De Sac - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Cul De Sac (47561 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Cul De Sac by chrisbaby24(m): 3:21am On May 26, 2015
oromankirisi:
Just got back will read it in a bit.. wink
Thank you..
Aiit...u r welcum...just go ahead and enjoy every bit of it... smiley
Re: The Cul De Sac by jorlons(m): 8:08am On May 26, 2015
I can almost picture every scene in my head, it goes to show how well crafted this piece is.

The dialogues couldn't be more real. Wow!

Nor be today this guy don dey write. More ink to your pen bruv.
Re: The Cul De Sac by Princecalm(m): 2:14pm On May 26, 2015
they said he is good for nothing yet he is about to reveal the hidden truth that has been a burden to everybody in the neigbhourhood.

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by ugosly(m): 4:09pm On May 26, 2015
Good work!
Re: The Cul De Sac by lenmafon: 7:55pm On May 26, 2015
*screaming* she is back!!! she is back!!! *goes and give touchmender a big bear hug* i miss u so much. ehmmmmm detective Unique and Chichi again, the culprit cannot hide for so long. thanks touchmender for the update. kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: The Cul De Sac by lenmafon: 7:56pm On May 26, 2015
Princecalm:
they said he is good for nothing yet he is about to reveal the hidden truth that has been a burden to everybody in the neigbhourhood.

Re: The Cul De Sac by lenmafon: 7:58pm On May 26, 2015
jorlons:
I can almost picture every scene in my head, it goes to show how well crafted this piece is.

The dialogues couldn't be more real. Wow!

Nor be today this guy don dey write. More ink to your pen bruv.

the writer is a 'she' and not a 'he' lol
Re: The Cul De Sac by hopilo4life(m): 9:58pm On May 26, 2015
[color=#990000][/color]Nice One Man
Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 6:43am On May 27, 2015
lenmafon:
*screaming* she is back!!! she is back!!! *goes and give touchmender a big bear hug* i miss u so much. ehmmmmm detective Unique and Chichi again, the culprit cannot hide for so long. thanks touchmender for the update. kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss

Morning dear, big hugsssssssssssssssssssssssssss. Its great to have you again. How has it been and how is ...
Okay let me stop there. cheesy cheesy
Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 6:44am On May 27, 2015
5 days later, Chichi pulled out a chair and sat in front of Unique ‘’why you dey vex nah?’’ she asked.

‘’My backside is on fire. This case is so cold and we’ve only just begun. It’s so cold if I lay my hands on it, I’ll get frostbitten!’’

‘’Relax it’s a tiny neighbourhood and someone will spill one of these days. I feel it in my body and I can’t explain it. Something has got to give Unique so don’t kill yourself before the case heats up. By the way how did the interview with the Engineer go? Engineer Akindele if I recall correctly‘’

‘’It was a total waste of time like the others’’

‘’Did you visit the houses after Prof’s?’’

‘’Chichi I did. Mrs Bricks, Chief Okao, Mr and Mrs Bello, Mr and Mrs Igunbor, Engineer Akindele you name it. Even the government worker and the Saudi doctor’s houses were not left out. I’ve spent the last few days combing that street like a… like a … ’’

‘’Like a who.re right!’’

‘’Yeah like a fvcking cheap whor.e’’ Unique finished.

Once he was done, Chichi began to laugh but Unique wore a serious look ‘’Chichi, don’t laugh. I’ve never had it this bad. This is how many weeks after the crime and nothing is making sense yet. No leads, no calls, no nothing. All I got is oga breathing down my neck like a dragon. I’m starting to lose my mind. I feel like a rookie detective all over again’’

‘’You need to take a chill pill bro’’

‘’I need to go and interview the wee lad’’

‘’Which one again?’’ Chichi asked.

‘’I mean Prof’s son; the one who was playing with the girl outside’’

‘’Oh you mean Michael Buwa? Oh well I don’t know about that. Do you think it would help? If you don’t mind me asking why?’’

‘’Well he is the closest thing to catching the culprit. He is 7 years old for God sake not 3. I expect to get something solid from him. Surely if he is calm, he would recall the colour of the car or something. If I have to get him on a shrink’s chair and do all that nonsense about closing eyes and remembering stuff – I bloody will!’’

‘’Yeah, but that would be a bad idea. Prof appears a bit soft on the kid almost like he is shielding him or something. I don’t know how you are going to get another interview with him. And about the shrink stuff, just forget it. Dude is way too young and there is no way his father would allow that happen. As a matter of fact, I can safely tell you to leave that chap alone. He has nothing more to offer. I watched him talk; he does not hold the key to this case’’

‘’Then who does?’’

‘’Time. Give it some more time’’

Then Unique put both hands on his head and groaned ‘’dig a hole and bury me Chichi. Just dig a hole, leave me there and I’ll hibernate until this case blows over’’

‘’It is well’’ Chichi replied. ‘’Mark my word, something will give very soon. Someone will spill and begin to sing like a canary’’

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 6:45am On May 27, 2015
We leave the detectives alone for now (some chapters) and would delve into the lives of some major characters in this story.
Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 6:46am On May 27, 2015
THIRTEEN

A week after the police visited his home, Jesuorobo sat by the desk in his bedroom and stared at his phone. He didn’t want to call his sister (Itohan) but he knew he had to. He hated having to beg for anything but he was getting desperate. He had tried his best to save from his meager salary but it had not amounted to much. People looked at lawyers with ‘big man eye’ but in reality their pay was pitiful. If you were not working in the big firms in the larger cities, chances were your salary didn’t amount to anything.

And this was why he needed to take the giant step. Lagos was calling and she had been doing that for a very long time. About 3 months ago, a former colleague (Collins Osunde) called to tell him about an accommodation he had found. It was a self contained on the island but the price was outrageous for someone like Jesuorobo. For the same amount, he could get a decent 3 bedroom apartment in Benin.

Collins worked in a small law firm on Lagos Island but he had been making plans to move out of his uncle’s house at Bariga. He was not rich enough to afford his own place so he needed a flat mate. Collins begged Jesuorobo to come up with the money quickly so they could move in together.

Jesuorobo saw the picture of the place and he even went there but he couldn’t come up with the money fast enough. The agency fee was for two years and that didn’t include the lawyer’s fee and cautionary deposit fee! Jesuorobo was desperate; so desperate he said something silly to the agent. He volunteered to get a legal colleague to draw up the lease then the estate agent frowned and said he will get back to them.

The following day, the agent called to say the property had been taken up by another tenant. Collins was livid and rightly so. The house at Ibeju Lekki had been the closest he could get within the ₦300,000 mark. Collins could not believe Jesuorobo’s leaky mouth had cost him the house. He gave Jesuorobo a piece of his mind and it was not pleasant ‘’this is Lagos; you don’t go about telling an estate agent you are a lawyer or talking about your lawyer friends. You frighten them because they don’t want to spend eternity asking a tenant to move out!’’

The following week, a frustrated Collins borrowed money from family then pumped his life savings on another property (at Lekki) and this time, he didn’t bother to inform Jesuorobo. He was tired of his fake friend and he needed to take the leap of faith. Shortly afterwards, he was rewarded with a serious individual who was desperately looking to share the cost of the rent. And that was how Jesuorobo lost out on the apartment.

Jesuorobo complained bitterly and someone advised him to consider a place on the mainland but he refused. The problem was he had to remain on the Island for work reason. His late mother’s sister (Aunty Lizzy) had promised him a place in a SAN’s chamber. Unfortunately, the SAN was only doing it as a favour. His chamber was already full but Jesuorobo was free to work and gain invaluable experience before leaping off to the next spot.

It sure sounded like a good opportunity; Jesuorobo was hardworking but only when he needed to be. He didn’t like to push himself too much but he knew 3 to 4 months would give him enough time to find another chamber willing to pay for his services. Perhaps if he proved himself enough, they could even hire him at the SAN’s chamber.

But it all depended on money. Everything seemed to be about money, money and more money. His dear aunt told him he could stay at her place but Jesuorobo had been to her house. The house was filled to capacity and worse still, it was at the other end of Lagos – Ikorodu. There was no way he could commute from her place to the Island every blessed weekday on a job that would not pay a dime! That was suicidal; that would mean shaving off about 3 years off his life span!

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 6:48am On May 27, 2015
Unfortunately, Jesuorobo didn’t really know anyone else in Lagos and he didn’t want to ask his father for help. He was too proud and he didn't want to discuss his future with his dad. Besides what could his dad do? The man was a loner and didn’t really make or keep friends! The few decent friends he once had had shunned him after the demise of his wife. Some remained but most eased away.

So far, Jesuorobo had been able to save 100,000 to N120,000 and he needed more. He managed to cast his pride aside and place a call to his sister. The moment, Itohan heard her brother’s voice, she yelled out in excitement. They spent the next few minutes conversing in Bini. As was her usual practice, Itohan didn’t ask of her father or his mistress but Jesuorobo filled her in and she listened.

Then they got around to the reason for the call and Itohan sighed deeply ‘’my brother, it is tough time for me but I will see what I can come up with. I need to speak to my husband and I will get back to you; God willing by the end of the week’’

‘’Thank you so much. I know you have a lot of commitment and you know I don’t like disturbing you. I know another baby is coming and your house project is still on. I am not asking for much but anything you can help will go a long way’’

‘’It’s okay; anything to make you leave that Benin, you know I support. I wonder how you manage to stay in that house with them’’

‘’Sister, this is our father’s home; a house mummy built with him. A house she lived in even when daddy deserted her. I owe it to her memory to protect this place. I owe it to her to protect daddy from himself and Bukola’’

Then Itohan whispered ‘’at what cost? Will you continue to put your life on hold so you can watch over that man? Is he a baby abi nor be im two eyes e use follow that woman? Bukola has been there for over 8 years and you could not do a thing. Why oh why do you think you can help him at this stage’’

‘’She is manipulating your father as usual. We all know this thing is not normal. I fear for him. All the time I was away at law school and NYSC, I nor dey rest for your papa matter. God knows why I do this’’

‘’Jesuorobo my brother, leave that man alone. He has made his bed and he should lie on it. You need to get on with your life and stop feeling sorry for him. He is not even begging for your help. You try to help him and he asks you to stay away – God forbid bad thing! You dey try sha. I could never do what you are doing’’

‘’Papa nor good. Papa nor good but father is father. I told you another reason why I had to leave Kaduna. Mummy appeared to me in a dream and begged me to stay with daddy in this house. I am not here for nothing and I know I will leave soon. Why mumsie begged me to return, I don’t know. Perhaps it was to avert something I don’t know. Sha I agree with you. I feel the time for me to leave has come…’’

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 6:50am On May 27, 2015
‘’God bless you for that statement. Mummy has lived her life and gone. Daddy is living his life as he pleases and you must live your own. You have always liked Lagos and I’m encouraging you to go. Like you know I have so much on my table so I don’t want to give a particular figure until I discuss with my husband’’

‘’I know I know. By the way, how is your body?’’

‘’I am fine, I thank God because I am nearly there. It’s the last trimester and soon it would be quarter to push oh!’’

‘’And you shall push to safety in Jesus name – mama baby’’ Jesuorobo yelled.

‘’I hear you and I say a big amen to your prayers. The journey with this baby has been very smooth – the boy nor worry me at all at all. No morning sickness, nothing at all in short I will deliver like the Hebrew women’’

‘’Amen ohhhhhhhhhh! Sister, you don use style tell me say na boy. I don catch you – ntorrrrrrrrrrr!’’

Then the siblings began to laugh. After a while, Itohan broached another topic she never failed to bring up with her brother ‘’uncle Jesuorobo, yes I nor hide am again na boy I dey carry. But my brother, your nephew said I should tell you something…’’

‘’You don come again oh!’’ Jesuorobo grumbled. He knew what it was about and he couldn’t be bothered.

Itohan ignored him and continued to talk ‘’your unborn nephew said I should beg you to quit that bad habit. His desire is that by the time he arrives, you would have stopped smoking’’

Then Jesuorobo continued laughing ‘’in short this my new nephew is a guy man! Gotta go sis, greetings to the hubby and kids. Expecting your favourable reply soon’’

‘’Bye my brother bye’’

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 6:57am On May 27, 2015
We take a trip back in time.
Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 7:02am On May 27, 2015
FOURTEEN

Itohan and Jesuorobo were the only children from the union between Mr and Mrs Okungbowa. They were very close but a series of unfortunate events had driven the siblings’ miles apart. Nevertheless they remained close and virtually every other day, they spoke on the phone.

If Itohan didn’t hear from her brother in week, she was not herself! While Jesuorobo was at the law school at Bwari, he spent his holidays with his sister and her family and those were some of the happiest days since his mother’s death. Even as a student at UNIBEN, once school was out of session, his destination was Kaduna. After Jesuorobo finally passed his bar exam and finished his NYSC, Itohan encouraged him to remain in Kaduna. Her house was large and comfortable plus Jesuorobo had his nephew and niece to keep him company.

Jesuorobo stayed for about three to four months after his NYSC at Kebbi. He even managed to find work in a law firm. However, he was not fulfilled. He felt something was wrong, he felt out of place and there was a deep desire to return to Benin City. He knew Kaduna was not the place for him. Besides his salary was a joke but most importantly, he knew his destiny was not tied to the north. Initially he didn’t know how to tell his sister. She had such high hopes for him and she believed he would remain in Kaduna and prosper like she had.

Then as if things were not complicated enough, Jesuorobo had a dream where his mother was pleading with him to return to Benin and take care of his father. It was a surreal experience; he lay on the couch one hot Saturday afternoon and dozed off. An hour later, he woke up with a start and began to sweat. Immediately he got up, he knocked on Itohan’s door. One look at his face and she knew something was amiss. She led him outside and he began to narrate the dream.

In the dream, Jesuorobo kept arguing with his mother but she advised him to return home even if it was for a short time. His mother kept saying Itohan was too stubborn and would never leave Kaduna. The task was not for Itohan because she was married and she had her own family to take care of. She said it was Jesuorobo who had a heart for his dad regardless of their issues. She reminded him that he was the man and that his father was exposed to the elements.

As Jesuorobo spoke, Itohan began to cry quietly. She knew what it meant but she was not happy and she didn’t fail to voice out her opinion ‘’if anything befalls your father, he has himself to blame. Jesuorobo, this dream means nothing. Remove your mind from it and get on with your life here’’

‘’Sister, how can you advise me to do that with what I’ve just told you. Mummy pleaded with me, she said daddy is exposed to the elements and for some reason one of us should be around him. I don’t know what that means. I can barely protect myself; but I need to just go’’

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 7:04am On May 27, 2015
‘’Jesuorobo, this dream of a thing is a figment of your imagination. Do you know the number of times I’ve dreamt of mummy and even your father? You have been thinking too much and questioning whether Kaduna is right for you and that’s why such things have wandered into your dream’’

Then Jesuorobo smiled at her and said something about praying before taking the next step. But for Jesuorobo his journey to Benin was already a settled issue. That dream was the straw that broke the camel’s back. Without the dream he may have dragged his feet for a month or two but with the dream he knew he had to leave ASAP!

The siblings argued about it for a week or two but Jesuorobo’s mind was made up. A day before he left for Benin, they had another conversation and he tried to convince his sister ‘’sister, this is not the place for me’’ Jesuorobo said, ‘’and just because you are here does not mean I must remain here’’

‘’Where do you want to go abi you want to go and inherit pharmacy in Benin?’’

‘’Pharmacy ke! Me and you who has more chance at running a successful pharmacy?’’ Jesuorobo asked.

Then Itohan shook her head and cried out ‘’God forbid bad thing! Me run that sinful store, I beg oh, I nor dey. Anything Benin, count me out. Kaduna is my life and it will remain my life’’

And indeed it was true. Itohan had graduated as a medical student from the University of Benin. Even as a student, she rarely came home for holidays. Nevertheless, her father continued to support her financially.

Even before the death of her mother, Itohan struggled to communicate with her father. But after her mother’s death, the relationship reduced to zero! She could not stand Bukky or her father and she made no bones about it.

After her housemanship, Itohan served in the north – Kaduna to be precise. Luckily, she was retained but even if she wasn’t she had no intention of returning back to Benin. She had fallen in love with an indigene; a fellow doctor by the name David Yakubu.

David was attracted to the pretty doctor from the south and once he got stuck in, no one could convince him otherwise. Itohan confided in David and told him everything about her mother and her father’s betrayal. It was then David understood why she had no relationship with her father. He tried to remain objective but of course his loyalty lay with his girlfriend. From the moment, Itohan opened up to him, David felt a deep longing to protect her. He became her everything, her friend, father, brother, lover, colleague and aproko buddy!

On the other hand, David’s parents liked Itohan but they were skeptical since she was not a Christian girl from Kaduna! They believed David would grow tired of her but it never happened! As a matter of fact, their love continued to wax stronger and by the end of her service year, David proposed to Itohan and it broke his parents’ heart!

It was not like the Yakubu’s hated Itohan but they were worried about their son’s choice. They worried Itohan might one day pack her bag and return home. They were worried their son might as well pack a bag and leave the only home he had ever known. He was the first son and they explained this to him carefully but David refused to budge. It was Itohan and no one else.

A month after he proposed, Itohan Okungbowa and David Yakubu decided to take a trip to Benin City. That was the first time David will venture out of the North. The closest he had been ended in Abuja but this was different; he was going to meet his prospective father-in-law. For the entire journey, David kept taking pictures and chatting. He was a quiet man by nature but the trip to the south excited him. Unfortunately he had no idea the drama that awaited him on the quiet cul-de-sac.

Re: The Cul De Sac by jrhymez: 7:58am On May 27, 2015
Nice one touchmeder...... keep it coming, a pretty long update. We dey your back

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by Nmeri17: 8:27am On May 27, 2015
madam u start new story u no mention anybody abi sad it is well cry
BTW what sound does uhmmmmnnn make or what action makes it
Re: The Cul De Sac by BlizzydoDo(f): 8:30am On May 27, 2015
Nice 1.
Re: The Cul De Sac by BlizzydoDo(f): 8:32am On May 27, 2015
Nice 1.Nice 1.Nice 1.
Re: The Cul De Sac by Nobody: 10:13pm On May 27, 2015
Touchmeder, please come and update sad
Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 10:37pm On May 27, 2015
Nmeri17:
madam u start new story u no mention anybody abi sad it is well cry

BTW what sound does uhmmmmnnn make or what action makes it

Oops-a-daisy! To me, it's more like the sound you make when you're thinking. I should change it to hmn instead. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 10:42pm On May 27, 2015
For starters, on their arrival, Itohan announced they would stay in a hotel! She was adamant and after a while, David gave up on her. Next the scheduled visit was to the pharmacy and not her father’s residential house ‘’what is going on?’’ David cried out in anger. ‘’How can you disrespect your father like that? You have not seen him in ages, you want to marry then you take your fiancée to his place of business?’’

Then Itohan yelled ‘’the man has long lost his respect in my eyes’’

‘’Itohan, please put aside your issues and let us do what we need to do. We need to curry favour with him because we want to get married. We need his blessing; please put your anger aside and let us humble ourselves. Don’t make this a wasted trip, let us not go back empty handed. I would like to leave this visit with a date for introduction. I’ve been pushing this visit for ages so don’t frustrate my efforts now I’m here’’

Then Itohan began to cry quietly but this time around, David ignored her. He might have been a quiet fellow but he was no push over. He needed to teach Itohan a lesson and she had to learn when to backdown. After crying her eyes out, she sat beside David and apologised. He nodded at her and looked straight ahead ‘’when are we going to your father's house?’’ he asked

‘’I will call him and book the visit’’ she whispered.

Then he nodded at her and stood up ‘’please make the call before I get back. I’m going outside for some fresh air’’
Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 10:43pm On May 27, 2015
FIFTEEN

David Yakubu had witnessed drama before but none as colourful as what greeted him on the day he visited his prospective father-in-law. From the gate, he knew something was amiss. Jesuorobo opened up and gave David a bear hug. Then he lifted Itohan off the ground and she began to cry. She had not been to the house since she left for her housemanship!

Unfortunately for David, he didn’t know this was the case. Itohan told him she had been away for a while but he didn’t know it was that long. As a matter of fact, Mr Okungbowa had not set eyes on his daughter since her induction ceremony! To make matters worse, on the said day, she didn’t inform her father! But of course, Mr Okungbowa knew. He had been paying her fees and he knew when his daughter would officially be called a doctor. He was a pharmacist and he knew lots of people in the medical field.

So on that day, he got dressed and went to the venue; Akindeko Hall fondly referred to as Main Auditorium. Because he was not invited, Mr Okungbowa could not make it inside the hall so kept stretching his neck outside the auditorium. While he stood outside, Bukky waited by his side. By the time a smiley Itohan came out of the hall, she was followed by her brother (who also failed to inform his father about the event) Aunty Lizzy, and an uncle from her mother’s side of the family.

Itohan was shocked to see her father, but she managed to greet him and stroll away to her canopy where she was celebrating. The late Mrs Okungbowa’s relations ignored him the entire time especially Aunty Lizzy. At the venue, more of Itohan’s mother’s relations came to celebrate with her. The late Mrs Okungbowa head pastor and his wife were also around. Her mother’s best friend from the hospital was there not forgetting Itohan’s roommates and friends.

The small ceremony was going on fine before a few people gathered around Itohan and began to comfort her. Jesuorobo watched her from a corner and began to laugh; he knew what was about to happen and he couldn’t wait. Meanwhile Aunty Lizzy kept comforting Itohan ‘’why should you cry on such a beautiful day? Am I not here with you? I came all the way from Lagos for this event. Your mother’s spirit is here with you so wipe your tears. She is here as we speak and I bet she is sad to see you cry’’

Immediately Itohan got up on her feet and began to yell in Bini ‘’send her away, send Bukola away. I have tolerated her long enough. Send that woman away before I uproot this canopy’’

Meanwhile Jesuorobo continued to chuckle. He felt bad Itohan was ruining her own day but could not wait to watch Bukky flee! Itohan continued to rant and her guests watched in horror. She kicked a crate with her feet and began to point at Bukky ‘’she killed my mother and denied her of being here today. Yet the devil has the guts to show up for my induction! Send her away, Bukola Badore, get up before I disgrace you further!’’

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 10:45pm On May 27, 2015
‘’IT, calm down, wosunuuuuuuuuu!’’(what is it?/ what happened?) Aunty Lizzy yelled out in anger.

Then her uncle spoke out in her defence ‘’let the Bukola woman leave for there to be peace now. How hard is that? She is ruining doctor’s big day. How many times will someone do induction? Please respect the doctor and leave so she can enjoy her party. She deserves it; 6 years nor be beans’’

Then Jesuorobo yelled ‘’make that 7 years. We lost a session due to strike’’

Suddenly Mr Okungbowo got up and Bukky stood up with him ‘’if Bukky goes, I leave’’ he announced.

Jesuorobo continued to laugh like a mad man ‘’make una commot nah! Una two na the same before’’ he was munching on a piece of drumstick while drinking beer from a can.

Suddenly Itohan yelled from her corner ‘’yes follow her and go so I can enjoy my day! Both of you go! You allowed her to kill my mother so you are not immune’’

Then the head pastor and the wife stood up. The wife went to speak with Itohan while the man began to plead with Mr Okungbowa. By the way, he ignored Bukky and kept asking Mr Okungbowa to forgive his daughter for the sake of his late wife ‘’it’s a good day’’ he said, ‘’please sit down and enjoy your daughter’s success’’

For a while, things were calm and the party continued until Itohan suddenly sprang from her seat and rushed in Bukky’s direction. She held her blouse and began to curse the woman who she claimed killed her mother. It happened so quickly no one had the time to react at first. Itohan tore Bukky’s blouse and began to kick the woman with her legs.

Immediately, her father came to the defence of his mistress while Jesuorobo and Aunty Lizzy began to defend Itohan. It became a mad house with people throwing chairs and flinging items at each other. The young men standing with Jesuorobo inched closer and began to point hands at Bukky. It was then she fled away with Mr Okungbowa in tow. She was badly shaken up, her hair was a mess and a portion of her blouse had come off. As she ran away, Aunty Lizzy and Itohan continued to rain insults on her. That was many years ago but Mr Okungbowa had not forgotten.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 10:45pm On May 27, 2015
So while David was smiling with hot drinks and kolanut, Mr Okungbowa began to narrate the entire induction story to the horror of the young doctor. Itohan bowed her head in shame while Jesuorobo decided to calm his nerves by smoking. He had been watching from the dining table but the moment his father began to wash their dirty linen in public, he decided it was time to take a smoke.

Mr Okungbowa cleared his throat and continued ‘’Itohan is a very good girl but she has a temper. Unfortunately it was never like that. The child I raised was as gentle as a lamb. I am sorry you have to hear all this today but my daughter has not been fair to me’’

‘’I’m sorry to hear that sir’’ David replied.

‘’Ahhhhhhhhhhh! So you want to claim you don’t know what has been going on in this family? You have come to see your prospective father-in-law. This is my house I built with my sweat and you are staying in a hotel in this same Benin. Does that not tell you something is wrong somewhere?’’

‘’That is part of the reason I am here today. I have spoken to Itohan and she has something to say’’ then David glared at his fiancée and Itohan knew what it was about. She cleared her throat and David was anticipating the apology but Itohan had another thing coming ‘’my father is part of the reason why I am motherless!’’ she announced in a clear voice then she began to cry.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 10:46pm On May 27, 2015
SIXTEEN

After the declaration, David began to shake his head like a disappointed parent. He had heard the story a thousand times but this was the worse time to bring it up! Meanwhile Itohan continued to cry and talk ‘’you wronged me too and you have never apologised for what you did to my mother or us. You dragged that woman in and this house was never the same again. You abandoned us and mummy struggled to cater for us in her final days’’

Then Mr Okungbowa yelled ‘’I abandoned you abi so who trained you at UNIBEN? Who helped you with your housemanship placement? I didn’t see you but I ran around talking to people who could influence your placement. Who sent you off to the Kaduna where you have refused to return ever since? I abandoned you people abi so who trained your brother at UNIBEN? Who is fighting to pay for his law school again after his failure to pass the first time? Do you think Law School fees is cheap? You are an unrepentant child! I don’t even know why you are here. You feel you can do without me abi? Go ahead and marry your husband now!’

Then David got on his knees and began to beg. After a while, Mr Okungbowa calmed down and David took his seat. All the while, Itohan was crying into her palm while another person was begging for her sin. For the first time, David, began to question his judgment. He wondered if he had made the right decision with Itohan. But one look at her face and he knew he had made the right decision difficult as it was.

David had no idea her family issues ran deep and wide. He didn’t know what it was like to experience such drama. The closest he had seen was in Nollywood movies! He came from a loving home with a father, mother and three siblings. The image his prospective father-in-law painted of Itohan was not one he was familiar with.

He had never seen Itohan this angry since they had been together. She was not a violent person and the only time she was upset was when she spoke about her father and his mistress. She had never kicked a plate or broken something in anger so he found the ‘crate kicking’ part of her life difficult to comprehend. She had never raised a hand to his face or any part of his body. Most times when they argued, she was the first to apologize even when he was wrong!

The more he thought of these things, the more he felt he was doing the right thing. He held Itohan’s hand and began to speak to her in Hausa. All the while Mr Okungbowa looked at them in amazement. He had no idea what was going on and it was better than way. David reminded Itohan why they came to Benin in the first place. He reminded her she needed to be humble even if she felt she was right.

He pleaded with her not to ruin their relationship because of her pride. Then he begged her to apologize to her father. He reminded her that if he a stranger could kneel for a man who he had never offended, she had no excuse. He asked her to remember the same man trained her. Without his help she would not be a doctor today. Then he asked her to beg her father for his sake. If she could not, she should beg her father for the sake of her late mother.

Immediately, Itohan went down on her knees and apologised to her father but she continued to weep aloud. She wept not because she was sorry but because she felt it was grave injustice!

1 Like

Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 10:49pm On May 27, 2015
After the apology, Mr Okungbowa nodded his head and said he had forgiven her. He said he would accept David’s drinks but there was one more person they had to apologize to then he called out the devil’s name ‘’Bukolaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Please come’’ he cried out.

Then Itohan glanced at David in shock ‘’do it for me’’ David said in Hausa. Already he was on his knees; he was willing to apologize to everyone even a dog as long as he married Itohan!

Meanwhile someone had finished smoking his cigarette and he began to laugh quietly from behind. He knew what his father was trying to do but he wanted to see what would happen. He was not going to stop Itohan though. If she wanted to kneel for Bukky, it was alright but he needed to watch this drama for posterity sake! He reached for his phone in his pocket and pulled it out.

Meanwhile Bukky rushed in with a kitchen towel and wiped her hands clean. As she took her seat, Itohan rose up like a phoenix. She stared at her father and his mistress and this time it was a new look – one of defiance ‘’David stand’’ she whispered. Then she continued to speak in Hausa ‘’this woman is not worth it. If he will not give us his blessing, then let us go and do registry wedding. He does not hold the key to any local government office in Nigeria!’’

Bukola laughed but she didn’t say a word. At a point in her life, she spent sometime in the north so she understood small Hausa. In addition, she spent some time there as a teenager. She didn’t get everything Itohan said but she heard enough. She smiled at Mr Okungbowa and whispered ‘’your daughter did not just insult me but she questions your authority as well!’’

Mr Okungbowa glared at Itohan and yelled ‘’this poor woman sitting by my side has been like a mother to them for the past 10 years. They blame her for my wife’s death but all I can say to that is let God be the judge. Itohan embarrassed this woman during her induction ceremony and ever since, she has not ceased from tormenting her. This lady is like a mother to her; let Itohan apologise to her as well!’’
Re: The Cul De Sac by touchmeder: 10:50pm On May 27, 2015
The room was so quiet; you could hear a pin drop. Meanwhile, Jesuorobo lifted his phone higher and continued to record. Suddenly Itohan announced in a loud voice ‘’agwaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!’’

Then Jesuorobo laughed in triumph and pumped a fist in the air ‘’agwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa raised to power 100!’’ he added.

‘’Let the ground open but I will not apologise to Bukky. Let the sky fall and I will not apologise to Bukky. Daddy, I apologise to you today, but Bukola will never get that from me!’’

‘’Then you don’t want to marry‘’ her father whispered. Bukky nodded her head in support and glared at Itohan.

‘’ITOHANNNNNNNNNN!’’ David yelled. Then Itohan held his arm and pulled him to his feet ‘’David, I respect you but I will not do this. Please do not ask me to commit this abomination; it would be a slap on my face. Not just on my face but on my mother’s face. Even my mother as gentle as she was, will turn in her grave if I did it’’

‘’You embarrassed Bukky during your induction party and you don’t think you need to apologize for that?’’ Mr Okungbowa thundered.

Then Itohan replied in a calm voice ‘’she should not have been there in the first place. She slighted me by gracing that occasion! She did it to ridicule me and take my mother’s glory on that day. If Bukky had an atom of respect, she would steer clear from gatherings like that!’’

Then Mr Okungbowa got up and announced ‘’Dr Yakubu, I hope you see what you are up against? I’m not just telling tales, you have seen her display today. That is the woman you wish to marry so that is your cross and yours alone. I wish you well. When you people are ready, you know what to do’’ then he walked out of the parlor and Bukky ran after him.
Re: The Cul De Sac by OYAY(m): 2:38am On May 28, 2015
Interesting! interesting!! And interesting!!!
Re: The Cul De Sac by tijehi(f): 7:01am On May 28, 2015
This is so interesting..

By the way. Wosunuuu means 'what happened or what is happening in bini.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply)

"Desire" By John Mfon / Selfless Desires / The Child Bride

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.