Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,839 members, 7,820,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:22 AM

Edo Discovers Large Coal Deposit…could Generate 1,200mw Electricity For Decades - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Edo Discovers Large Coal Deposit…could Generate 1,200mw Electricity For Decades (1081 Views)

Oyo To Generate 1,000 Megawatts From Wastes / Power Generation Moves Up To 4,200MW / Buhari Attending UN Assembly With Nigeria’s Slimmest Delegation In Decades. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Edo Discovers Large Coal Deposit…could Generate 1,200mw Electricity For Decades by zimoni(f): 11:08pm On May 13, 2015
A group of indigenous mineral explorers said they have found coal reserves of over 196million metric tonnes in Edo State, capable of firing 1,200megawatts (mw) power plant for five decades.

Speaking during a presentation to the federal ministry of power yesterday, in Abuja, Head of the Technical Team of Jidet Nigeria Limited, Mr. Olujide Pocon Tajudeen- Alan, said the coal reserve was 35 metres long in the Edo communities, capable of gebnerating 1,200mw of power at an estimated construction cost of $1.5billion.

Jidet Group, while briefing the ministry’s coal-to-power committee, said they were in the ministry to be guided on how to attract technical partners and willing financiers with a view to actualising the project.

On the firm’s capacity to operate a power plant he said: “We have the capacity to produce 1,000mw electricity for the next 50 years from the coal reserve. As at now, we have confirmed a reserve of 196million MT.

“Our major reasons for coming here is, we want to commence the application and processing of licences to officially enter into the power sector. We are also soliciting the support of experts in the ministry to guide us because initially we are mainly into mineral exploration.”

Responding, Minister of Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo, represented by his special adviser on renewable energy, Dr. Albert Okorogu said: “The meagre electricity we have in Nigeria is not sufficient so anything we have that we can tap into is very much welcomed.

“They have discovered coal in some unusual places that we have looked into and that’s wonderful. If you look at our coal map, we have never actually mapped Edo as having coal. So the ministry will do all it can in ensuring that they move from mining coal to using it to generate power.”

Source...........http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/daily/business/52689-edo-discovers-large-coal-deposit-could-generate-1-200mw-electricity-for-decades

We have more than enough resources in this country yet people are suffering in the midst of abundance. I hope the incoming government will decentralize electricity generation and distribution so that each state could have their own IPPs.

Enough of reliance on national grid. It has not worked for years and shall never work. Electricity consumption in Lagos can't be compared with that of Osun. May God direct our leaders. I believe we shall get there.

It is well.
Re: Edo Discovers Large Coal Deposit…could Generate 1,200mw Electricity For Decades by SirHouloo(m): 11:14pm On May 13, 2015
Just that corruption no go jus gree, we are just too blessed in this country.
Re: Edo Discovers Large Coal Deposit…could Generate 1,200mw Electricity For Decades by doctokwus: 11:20pm On May 13, 2015
I don't trust any group claiming any discovery under GEJ govt and seeking govt partnership,funding,support,concessions or whatever.
They should represent these same findings under a GMB govt so that we can sift d truth from lies.
Re: Edo Discovers Large Coal Deposit…could Generate 1,200mw Electricity For Decades by cleatoris: 11:25pm On May 13, 2015
Edo remains the best state and next big thing in Nigeria.

Proudly!

2 Likes

Re: Edo Discovers Large Coal Deposit…could Generate 1,200mw Electricity For Decades by Nobody: 11:28pm On May 13, 2015
That's a good omen but why does the SS have abaudant natural resources
Re: Edo Discovers Large Coal Deposit…could Generate 1,200mw Electricity For Decades by olasmith10(m): 11:57pm On May 13, 2015
estimated construction cost of $1.5billion.. Deziani is needed here..
Re: Edo Discovers Large Coal Deposit…could Generate 1,200mw Electricity For Decades by olasmith10(m): 12:01am On May 14, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
That's a good omen but why does the SS have abaudant natural resources

probably because of its geographical position and location.. closer to the coastal region..coastal regions has a huge tendency to generate several types of important minerals and natural resources.
Re: Edo Discovers Large Coal Deposit…could Generate 1,200mw Electricity For Decades by sammieguze(m): 6:54am On May 14, 2015
What have we achieved with the coal deposite in enugu?

I still this hydro electric generation is the best.
Re: Edo Discovers Large Coal Deposit…could Generate 1,200mw Electricity For Decades by Collynzo9: 7:25am On May 14, 2015
sammieguze:
What have we achieved with the coal deposite in enugu?

I still this hydro electric generation is the best.
coal is the number one source of electricity in the world.
Re: Edo Discovers Large Coal Deposit…could Generate 1,200mw Electricity For Decades by sammieguze(m): 7:30am On May 14, 2015
With all the pollution right?

And the fact that it is exhaustable. Just 1mw for 50 years.....ridiculous
Collynzo9:
coal is the number one source of electricity in the world.
Re: Edo Discovers Large Coal Deposit…could Generate 1,200mw Electricity For Decades by Collynzo9: 8:05am On May 14, 2015
sammieguze:
With all the pollution right?

And the fact that it is exhaustable. Just 1mw for 50 years.....ridiculous
I guess you prefer the pollution from your millions of rusty generators all over the country. Developed nations like US, UK. GERMANY, CHINA, South Africa etc are using coal to generate electricity, industrialize their countries and give their people comfortable lives, while a typical suffering and smiling Nigerian probably inhaling generator fumes as I type this is talking about pollution.
What unbelievable irony!

2 Likes

Re: Edo Discovers Large Coal Deposit…could Generate 1,200mw Electricity For Decades by zimoni(f): 10:01am On May 14, 2015
You are right Bro.
Re: Edo Discovers Large Coal Deposit…could Generate 1,200mw Electricity For Decades by Chiaka(f): 10:14am On May 14, 2015
Good discovery!
Re: Edo Discovers Large Coal Deposit…could Generate 1,200mw Electricity For Decades by change49ja: 10:52am On May 14, 2015
Collynzo9:
I guess you prefer the pollution from your millions of rusty generators all over the country. Developed nations like US, UK. GERMANY, CHINA, South Africa etc are using coal to generate electricity, industrialize their countries and give their people comfortable lives, while a typical suffering and smiling Nigerian probably inhaling generator fumes as I type this is talking about pollution.
What unbelievable irony!

I couldn't have said it better...Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Biafra Day: May 30, Remembering The Fallen Heroes. / Ibb's Absence At The Inauguration / Naira To Biafran Currency Exchange 6/6/2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.