Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,643 members, 7,816,643 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:22 PM

50 Most Common Interview Questions - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 50 Most Common Interview Questions (2463 Views)

Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job / 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers / 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

50 Most Common Interview Questions by icedbreez(m): 9:28pm On May 14, 2015
When it comes to the interview process, research and preparation for the interview can often times determine your chances of making it to the next step. One of the best ways to get ready for a job interview is to practice your responses to any and all interview questions.

1. Why do you want to leave your current company?
2. Why was there a gap in your employment between [insert date] and [insert date]
3. What can you offer us that someone else can not?
4. What are three things your former manager would like you to improve on?
5. Are you willing to relocate?
6. Are you willing to travel?
7. Tell me about an accomplishment you are most proud of.
8. Tell me about a time you made a mistake.
9. What is your dream job?
10.How did you hear about this position?
11 What would you look to accomplish in the first 30 days/60 days/90 days on the job?
12.Discuss your resume.
13.Discuss your educational background.
14.Describe yourself.
15.Tell me how you handled a difficult situation.
16.Why should we hire you?
17.Why are you looking for a new job?
18.Would you work holidays/weekends?
19.How would you deal with an angry or irate customer?
20.What are your salary requirements? (Hint: if you’re not sure what’s a fair salary range and compensation package, research the job title and/or company
21.Give a time when you went above and beyond the requirements for a project.
22.Who are our competitors?
23.What was your biggest failure?
24.What motivates you?
25.What’s your availability?
26.Who’s your mentor?
27.Tell me about a time when you disagreed with your boss.
28.How do you handle pressure?
29.What is the name of our CEO?
30.What are your career goals?
31.What gets you up in the morning?
32.What would your direct reports say about you?
33.What were your bosses’ strengths/weaknesses?
34.If I called your boss right now and asked him what is an area that you could improve on, what would he say?
35.Are you a leader or a follower?
36.What was the last book you’ve read for fun?
37.What are your co-worker Spouse names?
38.What are your hobbies?
39.What is your favorite website?
40.What makes you uncomfortable?
41.What are some of your leadership experiences?
42.How would you fire someone?
43What do you like the most and least about working in this industry?
44.Would you work 40+ hours a week?
45.What questions haven’t I asked you?
46.What questions do you have for me?
47.What are your strengths?
48.What are your weaknesses?
49.Why are you interested in working for [insert company name here
50.Where do you see yourself in five years?
Re: 50 Most Common Interview Questions by abimbawealth(f): 10:37pm On May 14, 2015
Maybe...Just maybe

1 Like

Re: 50 Most Common Interview Questions by CHM11: 10:59pm On May 14, 2015
Only those narcissistic Nigerian trained HR persons ask these kind of stereotype questions.

A good HR person, especially the white guys or foreign trained guys will discuss with you at an interview. In the end, he will get the information he needs.

2 Likes

Re: 50 Most Common Interview Questions by icedbreez(m): 7:04am On May 15, 2015
An interviewer is a man wanting to be convinced why he should employ you.....your job is to convince him to believe you re the best among numerous applicants.
Re: 50 Most Common Interview Questions by talk2yommex2000(m): 10:10am On May 15, 2015
CHM11:
Only those narcissistic Nigerian trained HR persons ask these kind of stereotype questions.

A good HR person, especially the white guys or foreign trained guys will discuss with you at an interview. In the end, he will get the information he needs.

FACT

3 Likes

Re: 50 Most Common Interview Questions by Engrpj(m): 7:51pm On May 15, 2015
and what are the answers to these questions
Re: 50 Most Common Interview Questions by Ask4bigneyo(m): 8:07pm On May 15, 2015
Gurus should provide ans to d ?s ooo
Pls shed more light on qstn 48..
What are your weaknesses?

1 Like

Re: 50 Most Common Interview Questions by tutucious(f): 9:09pm On May 15, 2015

The easy answer is that you are the best person for the job. And don't be afraid to say so. But then back it up with what specifically differentiates you.

For example: "You should hire me because I'm the best person for the job. I realize that there are likely other candidates who also have the ability to do this job. Yet I bring an additional quality that makes me the best person for the job—my passion for excellence. I am passionately committed to producing truly world class results. For example…"
Re: 50 Most Common Interview Questions by CHM11: 9:59pm On May 15, 2015
tutucious:

The easy answer is that you are the best person for the job. And don't be afraid to say so. But then back it up with what specifically differentiates you.

For example: "You should hire me because I'm the best person for the job. I realize that there are likely other candidates who also have the ability to do this job. Yet I bring an additional quality that makes me the best person for the job—my passion for excellence. I am passionately committed to producing truly world class results. For example…"
You have a good approach but you gave a popular answer which many other candidates will also say.

If I am the HR person and you give me this answer, you have just made the interview difficult for yourself because I will ask probing competency based questions for evidence finding.
'Can you tell me about a time when your passion for excellence helped you produce truly world class results...another one. Another one...with other probing questions.

Though, For excellent candidates, a difficult interview is the surest way to sell yourself convincingly.

Nice one by the way.

Answer to this question where a good, well trained HR person is involved is inside the job advert.

Why should we hire you?-
They need you that's why they want to hire you!!

Why do they need you?
There are specific functions, skills, competencies as stated in the job advert. Convince them that you have these qualities.

If time permits you, use examples of times you have shown these soft skills/values/competencies to give evidence to your claim.

You must show right there and then that you are different from other candidates, not just by saying you are...you must show it.

1 Like

Re: 50 Most Common Interview Questions by tutucious(f): 10:16pm On May 15, 2015
Just remember the interviewer is looking for work related strengths. Mention a number of them such as being a good motivator, problem solver, performing well under pressure, being loyal, having a positive attitude, eager to learn, taking initiative and attention to detail. Whichever you go for, be prepared to give examples that illustrate this particular skill.
Re: 50 Most Common Interview Questions by tutucious(f): 10:25pm On May 15, 2015
CHM11:

You have a good approach but you gave a popular answer which many other candidates will also say.

If I am the HR person and you give me this answer, you have just made the interview difficult for yourself because I will ask probing competency based questions for evidence finding.
'Can you tell me about a time when your passion for excellence helped you produce truly world class results...another one. Another one...with other probing questions.

Though, For excellent candidates, a difficult interview is the surest way to sell yourself convincingly.

Nice one by the way.

Answer to this question where a good, well trained HR person is involved is inside the job advert.

Why should we hire you?-
They need you that's why they want to hire you!!

Why do they need you?
There are specific functions, skills, competencies as stated in the job advert. Convince them that you have these qualities.

If time permits you, use examples of times you have shown these soft skills/values/competencies to give evidence to your claim.

You must show right there and then that you are different from other candidates, not just by saying you are...you must show it.

Well said... But i believe we are saying the same thing but in different words.
Like u rightly said the response should be in line with the job specification...
Re: 50 Most Common Interview Questions by icedbreez(m): 10:29pm On May 15, 2015
39.What is your favorite website?.
Nairaland.com
Re: 50 Most Common Interview Questions by Nobody: 10:37pm On May 15, 2015
tutucious:
Just remember the interviewer is looking for work related strengths. Mention a number of them such as being a good motivator, problem solver, performing well under pressure, being loyal, having a positive attitude, eager to learn, taking initiative and attention to detail. Whichever you go for, be prepared to give examples that illustrate this particular skill.

My strengths are sleeping, laughing, eating, getting fat and sleeping again grin
Re: 50 Most Common Interview Questions by tutucious(f): 6:29am On May 16, 2015
icedbreez:
39.What is your favorite website?.
Nairaland.com

Now let's link this response to this question
10.How did you hear about this position? Nairaland.com is my favorite website because I got to know about this job vacancy on NL job/ vacancy forum.
Re: 50 Most Common Interview Questions by icedbreez(m): 11:17am On May 16, 2015
That would be your answer? I don't think I would use that answer to that question. I would name career or professional websites like Linkedin or .
what you think?

tutucious:

Now let's link this response to this question
10.How did you hear about this position? Nairaland.com is my favorite website because I got to know about this job vacancy on NL job/ vacancy forum.
Re: 50 Most Common Interview Questions by icedbreez(m): 11:22am On May 16, 2015
You re a very energetic and hard working young man. Please drop your contact details, I assure you our HR department will contact you and we will be looking to harness your various talents and strengths in our company.

[b][/b]
Bennyzino:

My strengths are sleeping, laughing, eating, getting fat and sleeping again grin
Re: 50 Most Common Interview Questions by Nobody: 11:28am On May 16, 2015
icedbreez:
You re a very energetic and hard working young man. Please drop your contact details, I assure you our HR department will contact you and we will be looking to harness your various talents and strengths in our company.

Thanks and God bless Sir
Re: 50 Most Common Interview Questions by tutucious(f): 12:57pm On May 16, 2015
icedbreez:
That would be your answer? I don't think I would use that answer to that question. I would name career or professional websites like Linkedin or .
what you think?

Interesting... Then I guess u should ve named them also as ur favorite website?or don't u think so? If u think otherwise then pls state the reason why nairaland.com is ur favorite website
Re: 50 Most Common Interview Questions by Nobody: 2:28pm On May 16, 2015
tutucious:

Lol

grin

Am fun to see
Re: 50 Most Common Interview Questions by Nobody: 6:22pm On May 16, 2015
Ask4bigneyo:

What is this one saying....?

You won't grok it because it wasn't calling for your attention.
Re: 50 Most Common Interview Questions by icedbreez(m): 2:44pm On May 17, 2015
Nairaland.com is my favorite website for banter, gossip and news. But if an interviewer asks what's your favorite website, surely you are not gonna say nairaland.com because it's irrelevant to the vacancy.
in most company questionnaire they ask from which website you heard about the vacancy, they simply want to know the professional and career websites you visit, as the saying goes " show me your friends and I will tell you who you re....just my take on that question.

[b][/b]
tutucious:

Interesting... Then I guess u should ve named them also as ur favorite website?or don't u think so? If u think otherwise then pls state the reason why nairaland.com is ur favorite website
Re: 50 Most Common Interview Questions by tutucious(f): 2:53pm On May 17, 2015
icedbreez:
Nairaland.com is my favorite website for banter, gossip and news. But if an interviewer asks what's your favorite website, surely you are not gonna say nairaland.com because it's irrelevant to the vacancy.
in most company questionnaire they ask from which website you heard about the vacancy, they simply want to know the professional and career websites you visit, as the saying goes " show me your friends and I will tell you who you re....just my take on that question.

[b][/b]

Ok
Re: 50 Most Common Interview Questions by Tobbey(m): 7:21pm On May 18, 2015
THANK You
Re: 50 Most Common Interview Questions by ThatITguru(m): 2:39pm On May 28, 2015
[quote author=Bennyzino post=3379256
Anticipating a positive response. [/quote]
Re: 50 Most Common Interview Questions by ThatITguru(m): 2:40pm On May 28, 2015
Bennyzino:

Thanks and God bless Sir
B
Anticipating a positive response.

(1) (Reply)

How I Got My First Job - David Adeoye, Cfa / In dire need Of Information Of any parastatal Or Govt Agency about recruiting / This Résumé For Elon Musk Proves You Never, Ever Need To Use More Than One Page

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.