Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,828 members, 7,817,416 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:52 AM

@christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. (2044 Views)

Why Do Pastors Never Preach About This Passage Regarding The Tithes / Help Me Understand And Explain This Dream Please / My Favourite Bible Passage: The Palm Tree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

@christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by Nobody: 5:59am On May 15, 2015
Romans 9 vs 15......"For he then said unto Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.

Please, who made this statement?

And if it is God, does this means that God's mercy and compassion is limited to some people alone?

Kindly help me in understanding this passage.

Thank you.
Re: @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by phabuloz(m): 6:04am On May 15, 2015
Yea it's true. Even in the bible you can see that the children of Isreal really enjoyed these from God because they were privilege
Re: @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by Nobody: 6:13am On May 15, 2015
But this particular passage is disturbing. It also means that not everybody that ask for the mercy of God gets it. Abi I lie?

1 Like

Re: @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by Nobody: 6:14am On May 15, 2015
But this particular passage is disturbing. It also means that not everybody that ask for the mercy of God gets it. Abi I lie?

phabuloz:
Yea it's true. Even in the bible you can see that the children of Isreal really enjoyed these from God because they were privilege
Re: @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by hopeforcharles(m): 6:18am On May 15, 2015
There is a requirement for seeking something from God, if the person involved satisfied the requirements that can make him eligible, and He God can override protocols to effect mercy on whosoever he wishes, as long as you are truly sincere in your asking thereby opening a way for your upgrade your meet the requirements God will show mercy.
Re: @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by Nobody: 6:25am On May 15, 2015
That scripture shows that God exercise the sole right of having mercy and compassion on whom he chooses to. It is quite different from what people paint him to be - a celestial waiter who's at our beck and call. However this does not indicate that God is partial and favours one person over another. You could read Acts 10:34,35. In essense when God shows us mercy, we should consider it as a priviledge, and underserved kindness, not because we merit it or its our right.

2 Likes

Re: @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by Nobody: 6:34am On May 15, 2015
Then if it's a privilege, it also means that we might not be forgiven every time we ask for forgiveness.

vfactor:
That scripture shows that God exercise the sole right of having mercy and compassion on whom he chooses to. It is quite different from what people paint him to be - a celestial waiter who's at our beck and call. However this does not indicate that God is partial and favours one person over another. You could read Acts 10:34,35. In essense when God shows us mercy, we should consider it as a priviledge, and underserved kindness, not because we merit it or its our right.

2 Likes

Re: @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by Scholar8200(m): 7:00am On May 15, 2015
The passage quoted simply underscores the fact that mercy is never deserved. But God never denied any man mercy who sought Him for it. Even the most idolatrous king Manasseh to cruel Ahab, and the people of Nineveh, etc they obtained mercy when they sought it with sincere repentance. However if we take the mercy for granted judgement will come like it did to Nineveh and Ahab.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by malvisguy212: 7:34am On May 15, 2015
Lizabeth25:
Romance 9 vs 15......"For he then said unto Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.

And if it is God, does this means that God's mercy and compassion is limited to some people alone?

Thank you.
if you read from verse one you will understand,yes ,the Bible does teach predestination, but not the kind that Calvinists teach.God
pre-determined, not the IDENTITY of
the saved, but the CHARACTER of the
saved.

We are free, moral agents with the capacity to accept or reject God's
commandments. Predestination or fore-ordination is what God did before the world began, as He determined to save man from sin through the sacrifice of His own Son. Those who answer His call
through the gospel experience the
blessings of that plan now in Christ
Jesus. (Romans 2:3,11)

https://www.nairaland.com/2277794/unconditional-election

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by Nobody: 7:55am On May 15, 2015
Lizabeth25:
Then if it's a privilege, it also means that we might not be given every time we ask for forgiveness.

It Depends. God doesn't just grant forgiveness cos u asked alone. He grants cos u've repented, felt bad for what u ve done and felt a need to ask for forgiveness. He alone is able to see a man's heart to know when this conditions are satisfied. But you can rest assured that he able and just to forgive repentant wrongdoers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by Scholar8200(m): 7:58am On May 15, 2015
malvisguy212:
if you read from verse one you will understand,yes ,the Bible does teach predestination, but not the kind that Calvinists teach.God
saved.
INDEED! The Character thus predestinated was part of the Image and Likeness of God in which man was made, was lost after the fall, but is restored to ANY who repents and surrenders to Christ today.
Re: @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by Scholar8200(m): 8:01am On May 15, 2015
vfactor:

It Depends. God doesn't just grant forgiveness cos u asked alone. He grants cos u've repented, felt bad for what u ve done and felt a need to ask for forgiveness. He alone is able to see a man's heart to know when this conditions are satisfied. But you can rest assured that he able and just to forgive repentant wrongdoers.
Thanks for the highlighted! These are days when people claim to 'repent' and at the same point remind God that they will still do the same things they are repenting of ! What mockery! (No leader will take a subordinate that does so serious)
Re: @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by malvisguy212: 8:16am On May 15, 2015
Scholar8200:
INDEED! The Character thus predestinated was part of the Image and Likeness of God in which man was made, was lost after the fall, but is restored to ANY who repents and surrenders to Christ today.
thanks man, God bless you.
Re: @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by Scholar8200(m): 8:26am On May 15, 2015
malvisguy212:
thanks man, God bless you.
Glory to God! God bless you too.

1 Like

Re: @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by Nobody: 8:32am On May 15, 2015
Thank you.

malvisguy212:
saved.

We are free, moral agents with the capacity to accept or reject God's
commandments. Predestination or fore-ordination is what God did before the world began, as He determined to save man from sin through the sacrifice of His own Son. Those who answer His call
through the gospel experience the
blessings of that plan now in Christ
Jesus. (Romans 2:3,11)

https://www.nairaland.com/2277794/unconditional-election
Re: @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by Nobody: 8:34am On May 15, 2015
God gives mercy to those who show it.
Re: @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by Nobody: 8:35am On May 15, 2015
Thank you.

Scholar8200:
The passage quoted simply underscores the fact that mercy is never deserved. But God never denied any man mercy who sought Him for it. Even the most idolatrous king Manasseh to cruel Ahab, and the people of Nineveh, etc they obtained mercy when they sought it with sincere repentance. However if we take the mercy for granted judgement will come like it did to Nineveh and Ahab.
Re: @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by Nobody: 8:35am On May 15, 2015
What do you mean by that? "To those who show mercy?"

MzNelly:
God gives mercy to those who show it.
Re: @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by Nobody: 8:37am On May 15, 2015
Lizabeth25:
What do you mean by that? "To those who show mercy?"

I mean, to those who show mercy and compassion to others.
Re: @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by Nobody: 8:37am On May 15, 2015
Thank you.

Scholar8200:
Thanks for the highlighted! These are days when people claim to 'repent' and at the same point remind God that they will still do the same things they are repenting of ! What mockery! (No leader will take a subordinate that does so serious)
Re: @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by Nobody: 8:39am On May 15, 2015
Nah.....anybody can show mercy and compassion to anybody. But does it come from the heart without any doubt?

MzNelly:

I mean, to those who show mercy and compassion to others.
Re: @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by Nobody: 8:40am On May 15, 2015
Lizabeth25:
Nah.....anybody can show mercy and compassion to anybody. But does it come from the heart without any doubt?

Does showing mercy come from the heart?

Of course yes.
Re: @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by Nobody: 8:42am On May 15, 2015
Did you see the word " without any doubt?"

What if one is showing mercy and still have a doubt, do u call that mercy?

MzNelly:

Does showing mercy come from the heart?

Of course yes.
Re: @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by Nobody: 8:44am On May 15, 2015
Lizabeth25:
Did you see the word " without any doubt?"

What if one is showing mercy and still have a doubt, do u call that mercy?

No.

Do you have an instance in mind?
Re: @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by Nobody: 9:03am On May 15, 2015
Like situations where one have to do things because he/she doesn't want to be condemn by the word.

MzNelly:

No.

Do you have an instance in mind?
Re: @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by Nobody: 9:21am On May 15, 2015
Lizabeth25:
Like situations where one have to do things because he/she doesn't want to be condemn by the word.

Then that's not compassion from the heart.

The Bible states "God loves a cheerful giver."
Re: @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by Scholar8200(m): 9:32am On May 15, 2015
Lizabeth25:
Thank you.

Glory to God.
Re: @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by Nobody: 11:16am On May 15, 2015
Lizabeth25:
Romance 9 vs 15......"For he then said unto Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.

Thank you.
If you read the passage in contest you'll get a clearer understanding. Firstly, let's look at that verse again.
"for he then said to Moses. . . ."
Remember the operation of the old testament is different from the operation of the new testament. God made that statement to Moses when Moses asked to see his face which is so not possible. But because Moses was a "peculiar" person to God, he went ahead to show him His back - which no one has seen as at that time. He did it because he chose to be gracious to Moses for the sole reason that he is a "peculiar" person in his sight and not because he merited it. Look through the old testament. You'll see how God was always backing the Israelites when they were up with another nation. Why? Because they were his "peculiar people". He had a covenant with them.

Same with us. We(those who believe in Jesus) are His peculiar people people (1pet2:9) - the natural receptor of his mercies. Look @ vs 6-8 of the same chapter. You'll see the emphasis on this. So, it's true God shows mercy on whom he will but the good news is we are the people of his mercy and grace because we have been accepted into the fold. (Eph 1:6)
This is why Rom3:27 says where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No! But by the law of faith.

Morale - we enjoy God's mercy and grace not because of anything we do, not because we live rightly but because we became entitled to it when we gave our lives to Christ.

Clear??
Re: @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by Nobody: 2:08pm On May 15, 2015
Very clear. Thank you for takingyour time to explain this. God bless you.

iAmCharis:
If you read the passage in contest you'll get a clearer understanding. Firstly, let's look at that verse again.
"for he then said to Moses. . . ."
Remember the operation of the old testament is different from the operation of the new testament. God made that statement to Moses when Moses asked to see his face which is so not possible. But because Moses was a "peculiar" person to God, he went ahead to show him His back - which no one has seen as at that time. He did it because he chose to be gracious to Moses for the sole reason that he is a "peculiar" person in his sight and not because he merited it. Look through the old testament. You'll see how God was always backing the Israelites when they were up with another nation. Why? Because they were his "peculiar people". He had a covenant with them.

Same with us. We(those who believe in Jesus) are His peculiar people people (1pet2:9) - the natural receptor of his mercies. Look @ vs 6-8 of the same chapter. You'll see the emphasis on this. So, it's true God shows mercy on whom he will but the good news is we are the people of his mercy and grace because we have been accepted into the fold. (Eph 1:6)
This is why Rom3:27 says where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No! But by the law of faith.

Morale - we enjoy God's mercy and grace not because of anything we do, not because we live rightly but because we became entitled to it when we gave our lives to Christ.

Clear??
Re: @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by Nobody: 2:26pm On May 15, 2015
Lizabeth25:
Very clear. Thank you for takingyour time to explain this. God bless you.

You're welcome. Glad it was useful. BTW I meant Romans 9
Look @ vs 6-8 of the same chapter. You'll see the emphasis on this.
Re: @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by Anas09: 3:03pm On May 15, 2015
I love my Christian family. Godbless you all.
Re: @christains.....please, Help Me Understand This Passage. by Nobody: 4:58pm On May 15, 2015
Jeeeeez.....thanks.

iAmCharis:
You're welcome. Glad it was useful. BTW I meant Romans 9

(1) (2) (Reply)

When some Muslims Think / Points To Ponder Upon-Non-Muslims Especially Atheists And Christians! / Men of God and women in bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.