Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,023 members, 7,818,025 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:08 AM

Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best (37679 Views)

Toyota FV2 Futuristic Vehicle Doesn’t Use Steering Wheel / Why You Need A Rear Wheel Cars Not These Japanese / Front Wheel And Rear/back Wheel Drive Cars...pros And Cons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by adanny01(m): 10:05pm On May 21, 2015
Atmmachine:

Sorry, son.
Nairaland isn't meant for Nigerians only.
Why are you on Facebook & instagram??
Go Fucckk your mother.
Pussy ass Nigga

Tell me are you American or Nigerian?

I bet you cant answer cos you are confused. I am proudly Nigerian fully kitted with respect and decency so i wont go your way. Your language gives you up and if you think that what you said changes anything about you been dumb, sorry you are dumber than i thought.

Am sure you joined Nairaland trying have a sense of belonging, you dont fit. You see, Nigerians are smart and intelligent, you are not.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by holuwamurewa(m): 10:28pm On May 21, 2015
This trash about awd and rwd is jus dead it depends on how the manufacturer has programmed their system to work a veyron has its system sending more power to its rear wheels when moving at top speed so it makes it a partial rwd and besides a Hennessey Venom which is the unofficial worldwide fastest car is a rwd car

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by Nobody: 10:35pm On May 21, 2015
legalwealth:
I don't care about this comparison because I go All Wheel Drive anytime...

Same here. wink

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by adanny01(m): 10:55pm On May 21, 2015
lezz:
there are no fwd in the world's fastest 10 cars!!! FACT (YES BUT WRONG).

the handling and comfort of a rwd trumps that of a fwd to blazes. reason all bad ass manufacturers go for rwd e.g benz, Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Bentley, aston martin etc. and when Toyota and co want to play catch up, they equip some of their Lexus with rwd.

You know why you are wrong. Thats because the worlds fastest 10 cars are not rwd either but mostly if not all 4 wheel drives. Where you mix things up is that each has pros and cons.

During the last two decades, the percentage of fwd cars built in the United States has soared from 1.1 percent in 1975 to 85.9 percent in 1995.

Do you think its because rwd is better? Check out, mostly Luxury range of cars and heavy duty trucks come with rwd these days. SUV's and utility trucks mostly have 4 wheel drives. In actual, there are very very little range of cars that come out of the factory these days with rwd. Now, it is mostly either fwd or 4 wheel drives.
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by lawal666: 11:23pm On May 21, 2015
I bought a tundra 2006model. I'm using it to carry goods from jos to Port Harcourt. but my driver keep saying its not 4wd. abeg my people na true?
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by 19naia(m): 1:18am On May 22, 2015
I just got an old front wheel drive toyota sienna and i noticed that when i take off from a full stop with more than a slow pace, the steering wheel pulls to one side and then quickly stabilizes.. That was mentioned among front wheel drive traits..
Also when the road is wet and i take off from a stop into a turn, one side of the front drive slips on the road and then quickly stabilizes with the built in traction control.. It has to do with the same issue of uneven drive shafts to the front wheels..

But nothing else is of any major oddness.. I drive it slow and easy to not worry about the rear swinging out of control.. I really like how solid yet plush the suspension feels.. It gently handles rough and bumpy roads with a solid strength feel to it.. The braking also feels good with how the suspension hadles the stopping forces...

This front wheel drive i bought is just for part time utility work to use the van cargo space.. When i am ready to settle down with a long term car for myself, it will be all wheel drive traction controlled...

The issue of front or rear wheel is not as concerning as in the past.. Advanced traction control sytems can manage all the problems with steering and handling.. All wheel drive used to be an issue also with problems in turns that did not allow each of the wheels to turn at different speeds independently as needed.. That caused the wheels to slip and lose traction and control... Traction control has managed wonders for any vehicle now regardless of front, rear or all wheel drive... Even two wheel motorcycles adopt traction control for the single drive wheel to help manage slipping on the road... grin
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by Nobody: 5:32am On May 22, 2015
lezz:
there are no fwd in the world's fastest 10 cars!!! FACT.

the handling and comfort of a rwd trumps that of a fwd to blazes. reason all bad ass manufacturers go for rwd e.g benz, Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Bentley, aston martin etc. and when Toyota and co want to play catch up, they equip some of their Lexus with rwd.

What makes a car go faster?

Answer this then we'll talk.

Mind you, Lamborghini, some Ferrari, Porsche ain't RWD set up, they're AWD.
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by Nobody: 5:44am On May 22, 2015
lawal666:
I bought a tundra 2006model. I'm using it to carry goods from jos to Port Harcourt. but my driver keep saying its not 4wd. abeg my people na true?

Go under the truck, its suppose to have a front or middle differential, besides the Rear differential.

Some 4WD vehicles have buttons, knobs, switches, sticks etc to engage 4WD modes while some don't have any buttons, rather the computer, traction control and torque sensing systems automatically does the task.

Some vehicles have a 4WD badge or 4x4 badge pasted on them by their manufacturers.

Finally, if you have 4WD and the 4WD is engaged, try driving hard from stop. If your rear wheel spin more initially, its most probably a RWD, if your front wheels spin more, its FWD but if there's little or no wheel spin, its AWD or 4WD.

Spoiler: some 4WD/AWD are either rear or front wheel biased. If you apply sudden acceleration power, its biased wheels might spin.
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by Nobody: 5:58am On May 22, 2015
19naia:
I just got an old front wheel drive toyota sienna and i noticed that when i take off from a full stop with more than a slow pace, the steering wheel pulls to one side and then quickly stabilizes.. That was mentioned among front wheel drive traits..
Also when the road is wet and i take off from a stop into a turn, one side of the front drive slips on the road and then quickly stabilizes with the built in traction control.. It has to do with the same issue of uneven drive shafts to the front wheels..
You might just need to check your wheels for consistency, mis-aligned and unbalanced steering and tyres might be an issue too.
Don't totally agree its FWD set-ups.
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by Nobody: 6:00am On May 22, 2015
Siena:

Same here. wink
Me too... wink cool
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by adanny01(m): 12:24pm On May 22, 2015
19naia:

Your steering pulling to one side is a fault which you need to check.
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by 19naia(m): 2:03pm On May 22, 2015
adanny01:

Your steering pulling to one side is a fault which you need to check.

No need for now, it operates just fine.. I will garage it in a month or two and be travelling out of state and country for up to the next 8 months.. I can deal with it next year... I just replaced the timing belt assembly, installed new brake pads and rotor and had the rear brakes adjusted as well as all the transmmission oil, engine oil, coolant and air filter replaced.. Also full serviced the AC..

The transmission works very well but has a small kick or bump in it if i shift into reverse and give acceleration to it.. Its not bothering me because if i shift to reverse and then let idle engine power initiate the rearward movement for a few seconds, then i can give it any amount of acceleration with no problem...

So i will wait until next year to have the transmission worked on and O2 sensor.. The steering issue can wait even longer if need be. i will barely drive this car 3000 miles this year and then next year i will barely drive it 6000 miles and it is a part time car used no more than 6 months out of the year.. I travel out of state or country for the other six months of the year..
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by Nobody: 6:43pm On May 22, 2015
19naia:

No need for now, it operates just fine.. I will garage it in a month or two and be travelling out of state and country for up to the next 8 months.. I can deal with it next year... I just replaced the timing belt assembly, installed new brake pads and rotor and had the rear brakes adjusted as well as all the transmmission oil, engine oil, coolant and air filter replaced.. Also full serviced the AC..

The transmission works very well but has a small kick or bump in it if i shift into reverse and give acceleration to it.. Its not bothering me because if i shift to reverse and then let idle engine power initiate the rearward movement for a few seconds, then i can give it any amount of acceleration with no problem...

So i will wait until next year to have the transmission worked on and O2 sensor.. The steering issue can wait even longer if need be. i will barely drive this car 3000 miles this year and then next year i will barely drive it 6000 miles and it is a part time car used no more than 6 months out of the year.. I travel out of state or country for the other six months of the year..

At bolded, is there any reason for that?
At italicized, you need to check that system.
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by 19naia(m): 10:01pm On May 22, 2015
lomomike:

At bolded, is there any reason for that?
At italicized, you need to check that system.

AC was blowing very weak.. After the service ,it blows cold in preparation for the hotter weather to come... I bought the car from a family that used it gently and did very basic maintainance, but they really didnt replace or repair anything since they had it and drove 80k miles on top of the 60k miles it had when they bought it.. They sold it instead off putting money into it to repair it and carry on... They sold to me with the front brakes worn all the way down, AC out of charge and transmission with minor problems as well as check engine light with a code for O2 sensor thermal enhancement feature.. They never replaced the timing belt either... So as soon as i bought it, i replaced the timing belt, did all the brakes, the AC full service also checked for AC gas leaks and all was good, so they charged it full of AC gas for the compressor...
Its a project car and i think i can get another 140k miles from the vehicle as long as i can spend to repair the things...
Its still drives solid with much of the smoothness of a new car..
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by lezz(m): 6:04pm On May 23, 2015
lomomike:

What makes a car go faster?

Answer this then we'll talk.

Mind you, Lamborghini, some Ferrari, Porsche ain't RWD set up, they're AWD.
what makes a car go faster ? that would take up another thread. and if you disagree with my opinion , it will be a derailment.

you are right about the AWD of some cars. maybe i should have said , all the world's super fast cars are either AWD or RWD.
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by Nobody: 6:19pm On May 23, 2015
lezz:
what makes a car go faster ? that would take up another thread. and if you disagree with my opinion , it will be a derailment.

you are right about the AWD of some cars. maybe i should have said , all the world's super fast cars are either AWD or RWD.
If car A is FWD and car B is RWD, and both have same engine power, same gear ratio, same chassis mass, engine mass, and cargo mass which car will accelerate faster?
Car A or car B.
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by lezz(m): 7:30pm On May 23, 2015
lomomike:

If car A is FWD and car B is RWD, and both have same engine power, same gear ratio, same chassis mass, engine mass, and cargo mass which car will accelerate faster?
Car A or car B.

do you mean faster or quicker ?
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by Nobody: 8:27pm On May 23, 2015
lezz:
do you mean faster or quicker ?
They mean samething, stop beating around the bush and answer the question.
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by Nobody: 8:37pm On May 23, 2015
A lot of misconceptions here.

Whilst a FWD car will have more traction than a similar car with RWD, due to the weight of the engine, this will ONLY apply in wet, slippery, muddy or snowy conditions.

Let's assume both cars have 300hp. The FWD car will NOT accelerate quicker that the RWD car. Sure, the weight of the engine will aid traction in a FWD car if driven moderately hard in dry conditions, it will trail the RWD car if it is launched hard from standstill.

The reason here is weight transfer. When any vehicle is launched, the front end will lift, and the rear will squat, as the shift in weight takes place. This affects EVERY vehicle regardless of configuration - FWD, RWD or AWD.

When weight transfer takes place and the front end lifts, a FWD car will lose a great deal of traction. With a RWD car, weight transfer is favourable, as the rear squats, pressing the rear wheels harder against the tarmac. This aids traction. Watch cars at the drag strip, and you'll observe the rear tyres actually flatten under full-bore acceleration, as all the weight transfers to the REAR.

This is why RWD drag cars use larger tyres at the rear, generally HOOSIERS. Besides offering superior grip, the higher rear end discourages excessive squatting. Or wheelie bars are also employed.

A FWD car is more of an economy feature. It favours better gas mileage, as the power source (engine) is closer to the transmitted drive (the wheels). A RWD set-up hurts gas mileage, as you have a long propshaft for the power to travel down to the rear driven wheels.

An AWD car is the best compromise, even better if it is permanent AWD, with a centre differential.

A FWD car is not great if driven on the limit, especially if it has in excess of 220hp to deal with. Neither is it a quarter-mile car, at least not a great one. I am NOT a fan of FWD cars, preferring AWD, with RWD the next best option. But...

...all these configurations have their advantages and uses. Simply get the one that best suits your finances and use, and be happy. I am happy with AWD, and can't remember when last I owned a 2WD model.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by tmanis(m): 10:03pm On May 23, 2015
Siena:

Whilst a FWD car will have more traction than a similar car with RWD, due to the weight of the engine, this will ONLY apply in wet, slippery, muddy or snowy conditions.

Let's assume both cars have 300hp. The FWD car will NOT accelerate quicker that the RWD car. Sure, the weight of the engine will aid traction in a FWD car if driven moderately hard in dry conditions, it will trail the RWD car if it is launched hard from standstill.

The reason here is weight transfer. When any vehicle is launched, the front end will lift, and the rear will squat, as the shift in weight takes place. This affects EVERY vehicle regardless of configuration - FWD, RWD or AWD.

When weight transfer takes place and the front end lifts, a FWD car will lose a great deal of traction. With a RWD car, weight transfer is favourable, as the rear squats, pressing the rear wheels harder against the tarmac. This aids traction. Watch cars at the drag strip, and you'll observe the rear tyres actually flatten under full-bore acceleration, as all the weight transfers to the REAR.

This is why RWD drag cars use larger tyres at the rear, generally HOOSIERS. Besides offering superior grip, the higher rear end discourages excessive squatting. Or wheelie bars are also employed.

A FWD car is more of an economy feature. It favours better gas mileage, as the power source (engine) is closer to the transmitted drive (the wheels). A RWD set-up hurts gas mileage, as you have a long propshaft for the power to travel down to the rear driven wheels.

An AWD car is the best compromise, even better if it is permanent AWD, with a centre differential.

A FWD car is not great if driven on the limit, especially if it has in excess of 220hp to deal with. Neither is it a quarter-mile car, at least not a great one. I am NOT a fan of FWD cars, preferring AWD, with RWD the next best option. But...

...all these configurations have their advantages and uses. Simply get the one that best suits your finances and use, and be happy. I am happy with AWD, and can't remember when last I owned a 2WD model.
c'est fini

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by lezz(m): 10:27pm On May 23, 2015
lomomike:

They mean samething, stop beating around the bush and answer the question.
no they do not. quicker is always 0 to 60mph lap time. faster is TOP SPEED. Because car A can do a 0 to 60 time quicker than car B , and yet car B will eat up the asphalt better in a quarter mile and go faster than car A with a better top speed. so car A is quicker but car B is faster.

back to the topic, i am going to try and answer your question with the assumption that you mean quicker acceleration time which is often measured in 0 to 60 mph or 0 to 100 kph.

between a rwd and a fwd car of same engine, chassis weight and gear ratio the acceleration time would be determined by some factors.

1) in a snowy track, i will give it to fwd

2) in using very little horse power where traction wont be an issue then the fwd still has an edge too

but in every other aspect when the light turns green for maximum take off, as the engine accelerates, the torque from the wheels will push the rear of the
car downwards, or the front of the car upwards.
Further to this, the resistance of the vehicle to
momentum, will cause it to push back against the
suspension as the wheels pull forwards. Because
of these two factors, the front wheels will have
less weight on them, and the rear wheels will
have more. A front wheel drive car will have
significantly less traction, and a rear wheel drive
will have significantly more.

also the fwd car will have a lot of torque steer and do auto lane change and the driver will have a hard time keeping a straight line not to mention the rwd will have more traction under full throttle than a fwd.

so under full acceleration in identical cars and where there are no snow or slippery surface, the rwd will have a better acceleration time than the fwd.
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by Nobody: 11:22pm On May 23, 2015
^^^Spot-on.

I will add though, torque steer is not necessarily an inherent characteristic of a FWD set-up, torque steer occurs in a FWD car as a result of unequal length drive shafts.

The majority of FWD cars have a transverse engine / transaxle. This arrangement places the transmission on one side of the car, meaning the driveshaft on that side will be considerably shorter than the driveshaft on the engine side.

Driveshafts actually twist in service. Launch a powerful transverse-engined FWD car hard, and the shorter driveshaft will twist less than the longer one. So the longer shaft will momentarily transmit LESS drive to that side of the car. The shorter one that twists less will transmit MORE drive to that side of the car. This will result in the car pulling to the side with more drive, before the drive to both sides of the car equalises, and the car rights itself.

However...there are FWD arrangements that have the engine mounted longitudinally, with the transmission behind it in the manner traditionally reserved for RWD configuration. This of course means the driveshafts are equal lengths, and torque steer is NOT an issue. FWD cars that typically use this arrangement are Audi 80/90/100/200/A4/A6/A7/A8, Renault 12/16/20/30, Alfa Romeo Alfasud / 33, Citröen DS/Ami/Deux Chevaux.

In the same way, a RWD car with independent rear suspension, and driveshafts external to the differential are equal length units. If the differential was offset to one side, the driveshafts WOULD be unequal length, and torque steer under full-bore acceleration would be an issue too. Fortunately, it is extremely rare to have a rear differential positioned any way other than central. Unless the fuel tank arrangement makes a central differential impractical, even then it is unlikely the differential will be any more than 10% offset.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by lezz(m): 12:19am On May 24, 2015
Siena:

1000 likes!!! you can't have said it better.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by Nobody: 7:18pm On May 24, 2015
Weldone Siena! And weldone the other guys who argued for the RWD. FWD get as im be, except you have not owned both before. Oh weldone Lezz!
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by lezz(m): 7:28pm On May 24, 2015
tpacalipse:
Weldone Siena! And weldone the other guys who argued for the RWD. FWD get as im be, except you have not owned both before. Oh weldone Lezz!
Thanks.
exactly , only one who hasn't ridden a RWD will compare it to a FWD.
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by Nobody: 8:02pm On May 24, 2015
lezz:
Thanks. exactly , only one who hasn't ridden a RWD will compare it to a FWD.
I've driven all. The FWD, RWD and AWD
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by Inception(m): 9:42pm On May 24, 2015
Siena:

BEHOLD THE AUTOMOTIVE gOD!
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by adanny01(m): 5:42am On May 25, 2015
Siena:

Your post is a final clarification

Relating it to the op's choice in a location like Nigeria. We all know RWD do very well in race tracks, how many do we have? There are so many fast cars in Nigeria, what do their owners do with them? They keep them in the garage or under the car port since there are no drive ways to show them off. There are very little mechanics to work on them. At the end they lose those beautiful looking numbers called horsepower or kill themselves in the machine like el Rufai's son and Sambo's brother did to themselves of recent. The drivers themselves have no training or experience to handle the power.

Car owners in Nigeria end up requiring only a handful of power their cars have which brings them back to the region of FWD. Even though someone like the op wants to drive a RWD, in Nigeria he ends up disadvantaged or simply wasteful. If not for Mercedes Benz and BMW who traditionally make RWD we may have too little sedans with RWD. The almighty 'Lion' of France left behind their RWD and took up FWD for a reason. My personal summary is that RWD is good in the race tracks, FWD is good in the streets and highways and AWD better in all conditions except for its economy disadvantage. Therefore am sure above 90% of cars are made for the streets and highways so we can conclude in general that FWD is better than RWD meaning the op was wrong unless its his personal opinion which of course it isn't since he copied from someone.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by tonychristopher: 9:30am On May 25, 2015
why not? its reasonable post is it?
adanny01:
Front page again?
Re: Reasons Why Front-wheel Drive Sucks And Why Rear-wheel Drive Is best by tonychristopher: 9:34am On May 25, 2015
cant you see a common link mr pliagrialism

Kashif:
Cant something be done about this dude? angry Does he not know the word 'plagiarism'?

@Mike!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Life And Times Of An Infiniti G35 / Gold Customized 1982 Mercedes Benz Spotted In Kaduna (photos) / World Car Award 2018: Range Rover Velar Wins World Car Design Of The Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.