Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,412 members, 7,819,471 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:53 PM

Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria (2617 Views)

Why We Must All Support Full Sharia In The North. / Buhari Calls For A Total Sharia In Nigeria (Published 2001) / Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria by osisi2(f): 8:34pm On Feb 09, 2009
Nigeria’s former president, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo on Sunday confessed that his greatest headache while in office was the sharia legal system then instituted by former Governor Ahmed Sani Yerima of Zamfara State.

Obasanjo had sneaked into Uyo, Akwa Ibom State on a private visit to his friend and prelate emeritus of the Methodist Church Nigeria, Dr Sunday Mbang, and had to worship with his host at the Emmanuel Methodist Cathedral, Uyo, the same church he worshipped on August 12, 2006, on the last day of his official visit to the state then.

The ex-president who read one of the bible lessons later addressed the congregation saying only the things and people ordained by God to perform specific task would endure, and that any self-arrogation of ecclesiastical responsibilities would end in tragedy.

Citing the case of sharia, Obasanjo said; “It was a real test for the leaders and the led in this country. The people said that I should have rolled tanks to crush it but if I had done that, its effects would still be with us today because sharia was started on political grounds by the young man in Zamfara State, claiming that some people were attacking him but that he wanted to be untouchable.
“But I had told him that if sharia was not from God, it would fizzle out. He later cut a man’s hand for stealing, but after nine months, I asked him why he was no longer cutting thieves’ hands and he replied that the cost of maintaining the one amputee was enormous.

“Before I left office, he (the Zamfara state governor) came to Aso Rock and embraced one beautiful lady before me. When I reminded him of sharia, he told me; ‘didn’t you say that it would fizzle out?’ So, I trust God.”
The former president who also confessed that he never really believed in the Christian Ecumenical Centre in Abuja until Mbang forced the completion of the building on him, disclosed how a prominent politician promised to donate more than N2 billion to complete the building but reneged on the pledges.
“Till today, that person who is from a place not very far away from Akwa Ibom state, has never given us a kobo,” he stressed.

Obasanjo, however, praised Governor Godswill Akapbio for instituting free education in Akwa Ibom State, which he described as a lasting legacy any leader could bequeath to his people. He urged the people to pray God to guide Akpabio in his future political endeavours, which could mean a higher calling.
He said what Nigerians needed to live a meaningful life were minimal things such as electricity, water, good roads, market and agric inputs, all of which were not beyond the capability of the governors and local government chairmen with the volume of money at their disposal.

Akpabio, who was also in the church and took one of the bible lessons, praised Obasanjo for sustaining his friendship with Mbang even after both of them had left office.
The governor also commended the former president for intervening in his (Akpabio’s) struggle to become governor in 2007.

“I’m wearing white today because I’m celebrating for if God did not stand by me, I wouldn’t be governor today. People prayed that God’s will be done and when you (Obasanjo) confirmed it, then I knew that it was done,” he said.
Neither Mbang nor Obsanjo agreed to speak with newsmen on the content of the visit. While Mbang said after the church service that he was too busy, Obasanjo’s aides said the visit was private and as such not meant for the press.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria by osisi2(f): 8:35pm On Feb 09, 2009

Re: Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria by MrCrackles(m): 8:37pm On Feb 09, 2009
OBJ is such a clueless dingbat!

The idiot made huge mistakes and he starts to lament them when he his no longer in a position to rectify things

Ugly buffoon!

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria by osisi2(f): 8:38pm On Feb 09, 2009
The people said that I should have rolled tanks to crush it but if I had done that, its effects would still be with us today because sharia was started on political grounds by the young man in Zamfara State, claiming that some people were attacking him but that he wanted to be untouchable.
“But I had told him that if sharia was not from God, it would fizzle out. He later cut a man’s hand for stealing, but after nine months, I asked him why he was no longer cutting thieves’ hands and he replied that the cost of maintaining the one amputee was enormous.

“Before I left office, he (the Zamfara state governor) came to Aso Rock and embraced one beautiful lady before me. When I reminded him of sharia, he told me; ‘didn’t you say that it would fizzle out?’ So, I trust God.”

Useless leader he was
How did he let these lunatics twist his hands and drag us into stone age.
How can a whole president succumb to the whims of an ordinary governor?
Why did they stop the amputations anyway?
I thought by now at least half the almajiris would be one armed soldiers grin

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria by Nobody: 8:42pm On Feb 09, 2009

Chei, our "leaders" are hypocrites.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria by osisi2(f): 8:53pm On Feb 09, 2009
maybe he was shopping for the 4th wife.
Re: Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria by mustafar1: 9:03pm On Feb 09, 2009
did u guys really think our leaders think out the consequences of their action/decision/policies b4 going ahead with them? very few of them actually do any thinking at all. while some dissect things well before acting. but for the most part, they dont think things through. so i am not surprised by his statements here.

another thing he didnt think through was who to pick as his successor. cos if he did, he wouldnt have picked President YARA SLOW (which means QUICK SLOW or SLOW QUICKLY)
Re: Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria by chidichris(m): 9:06pm On Feb 09, 2009
so the best president nigeria has ever seen is still regreting?
we are tired of all these confession of regrets.
when will obj confess how he did gigi-gigi with moji his daughter in-law.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria by MrCrackles(m): 9:07pm On Feb 09, 2009
chidichris:

so the best president nigeria has ever seen is still regreting?
we are tired of all these confession of regrets.
when will obj confess how he did gigi-gigi with moji his daughter in-law.

His continued silence has answered the question i believe, the ugly fuckwit did it! grin

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria by dayokanu(m): 10:51pm On Feb 09, 2009
OBJ even regrets being born
Re: Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria by bawomolo(m): 11:43pm On Feb 09, 2009
ha ha they didn't know they had to take care of amputees? idiots
Re: Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria by Dede1(m): 11:46pm On Feb 09, 2009
This is very typical. Hyena can never loss its spots
Re: Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria by Pygru: 5:49am On Sep 10, 2013
K
Re: Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria by Nobody: 7:15am On Sep 10, 2013
I won't be surprised if Yerima later becomes president. First, he married a 14yr old girl and it made headlines. Now OBJ is making him another star by his cock and bull story undecided
Re: Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria by Abbey2sam(m): 7:31am On Sep 10, 2013
**osisi:

Useless leader he was
How did he let these lunatics twist his hands and drag us into stone age.
How can a whole president succumb to the whims of an ordinary governor?
Why did they stop the amputations anyway?
I thought by now at least half the almajiris would be one armed soldiers grin

Do you know the meaning of federalism?
Maybe you should check it out
Re: Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria by Wadeoye(m): 10:30am On Sep 10, 2013
OBJ is the brain behind all the problems in the country today including Boko Haram. He ensured a clueless man (JEG) became the president of the country. Nigerians should begin to think - OBJ is evil. Third Term failure punishment for Nigerians
Re: Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria by AkinDavid2: 10:39am On Sep 10, 2013
This Baba Iyabo sometimes is a joke. He is perfect at telling people what they like to hear. Even romancing the listeners with words that can not change the evil that the Sharia law brought.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria by Nobody: 11:22pm On Oct 13, 2014
Re: Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria by Nobody: 5:00am On Oct 14, 2014
OBJ was scared of the desendants of Uthman Dan Fodio! QED.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria by SkySpirit(m): 5:25am On Oct 14, 2014
I agree with obj, but he should have threatened the governor with treason which implies outright removal and arrest.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria by Chiefpriest1(m): 5:49am On Oct 14, 2014
Obj was a strong leader,we agree. But there was no way he could force the zamfara governor to backtrack in a federal system. All he could do was advise on the consequences of his actions. Which I am sure he did. Obj wasnt totally a bad leader
Re: Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria by basty: 5:51am On Oct 14, 2014
dayokanu:
OBJ even regrets being born

As your Father is regretting being poor. Goat
Re: Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria by Nobody: 6:10am On Oct 14, 2014
noblezone:
OBJ was scared of the desendants of Uthman Dan Fodio! QED.

Re: Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria by chimerase2: 6:21am On Oct 14, 2014
Dis is serious undecided
Re: Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria by dat9jaguy(m): 6:41am On Oct 14, 2014
mustafar1:
did u guys really think our leaders think out the consequences of their action/decision/policies b4 going ahead with them? very few of them actually do any thinking at all. while some dissect things well before acting. but for the most part, they dont think things through. so i am not surprised by his statements here.

another thing he didnt think through was who to pick as his successor. cos if he did, he wouldnt have picked President YARA SLOW (which means QUICK SLOW or SLOW QUICKLY)

I think OBJ did the right thing.If he had interfered with sharia then, the whole north would have gone up in flames.Now as you can see nobody talks
of sharia in the north anymore.I keep saying it OBJ is a leader.
Re: Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria by chinwike2(m): 8:06am On Oct 14, 2014
OBJ is weeping 1.0
Re: Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria by Caseless: 8:25am On Oct 14, 2014
Chiefpriest1:
Obj was a strong leader,we agree. But there was no way he could force the zamfara governor to backtrack in a federal system. All he could do was advise on the consequences of his actions. Which I am sure he did. Obj wasnt totally a bad leader
Gbam!
Re: Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 8:33pm On Jan 21, 2015
He was afraid of yerima,now he want Gej to enter sambisa forest smh
Re: Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria by kay1one(m): 8:35pm On Jan 21, 2015
Nigeria's biggest problem!
Re: Obasanjo Regrets Ever Allowing Sharia In Northern Nigeria by mumumugu(m): 8:45pm On Jan 21, 2015
And he wants to support a leader that wil make the sharia permanent

(1) (Reply)

The Final Solution To Corruption In Nigeria / The Amunition Nigerian Army Needs For Boko Haram / Top 10 Countries Without Military Forces

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.