Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,154 members, 7,867,355 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 02:29 PM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (111) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (251808 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 4:19pm On Feb 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Arsenal's Alex Iwobi Is A Ticking Time Bomb

by Josh Sippie Follow @@sippenator101
[/size]

LONDON, ENGLAND - JANUARY 30: Alex Iwobi of Arsenal breaks past Stephen Ward of Burnley during the The Emirates FA Cup Fourth Round match between Arsenal and Burnley at Emirates Stadium on January 30, 2016 in London, England. (Photo by Stuart MacFarlane/Arsenal FC via Getty Images)

Arsenal have a vast collection of youngsters but none of them appear quite as ready as Alex Iwobi. The young Nigerian is ticking down until he explodes into significance.

I must admit, I am guilty of not giving Alex Iwobi the credit he deserves. I am so enamored with the likes of Donyell Malen, Krystian Bielik and Jeff Reine-Adelaide that the 19 year old sitting on the Arsenal bench continues to elude more significant notice.

But to a certain extent, it is easy to see why. Whereas the 16-18 year old wonderkids are doing fancy tricks and scoring insane goals in the U21 side, Alex Iwobi is just biding his time. He comes and goes in the U21 side, moving up and down between youth squad and senior.

While loanees like Jon Toral blasts in goals from distance, Chuba Akpom nets hat tricks and Gedion Zelalem takes Scotland by storm, Iwobi trains behind the scenes and sits and waits.

And yet, everyone is eager with the anticipation of what Iwobi brings to the side. And by everyone, I quite literally mean everyone. Arsene Wenger is just the latest to sing the young Nigerian’s praises.

Iwobi has been rotating between the U21s and Arsenal’s senior squad bench all season. Which brings me to another reason why he has had so few opportunities to impress. He is caught in that limbo between being a prospect and breaking into the first team.

He and Serge Gnabry are both there. The two have made impressive appearances for the first team but that was mostly as fill-ins. There was never actually a spot for them. So now they wait.

In the meantime, Alex Iwobi made a brilliant decision in choosing Nigeria over England. By doing so, he is setting himself up to become a major contributor at the international level, as well as a leader, at a very young age. The successes of this endeavor will reverberate into the Premier League.

But that success may come before he sticks in the starting XI. Iwobi has gobs of potential. He is a big, strong winger with the ability to drive right at the defense. We have seen him do such things, mainly against Burnley and we even saw him score a rather impressive goal in the preseason.

All this adds up to is that Alex Iwobi is like a ticking time bomb. With each brief appearance for Arsenal, Iwobi is going to see how crucial each opportunity is and before long, we are going to see a marvelous effort in which he proclaims his merit to be a member of the first team.

Arsene Wenger has saved Iwobi a spot, that’s for sure. The young Nigerian can play left wing or attacking mid. Currently, Arsenal’s two superstars, Alexis and Ozil hold down those two roles, respectively. But they are all Arsenal have in those two roles. So when they need a breather or when a lesser competition pokes in, Iwobi will be ready.

Then, all he has to do is explode onto the pitch.
http://paininthearsenal.com/2016/02/16/arsenals-alex-iwobi-is-a-ticking-time-bomb/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 4:21pm On Feb 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Watford striker Odion Ighalo: Arsenal's Laurent Koscielny has been my toughest opponent of the season.

James Benge
[/size]

Vicarage victor: Koscielny steals possession from Ighalo PAUL ELLIS/AFP/Getty Images.

Few defenders have managed to keep Odion Ighalo quiet during the Nigerian international's impressive first season in the Premier League.

However Laurent Koscielny was among the few to tame the Watford striker, who hailed the Arsenal centre-back as the best he has faced so far in England's top flight.

Ighalo, scorer of 14 Premier League goals this season, was largely marked out of the game when the two sides met at Vicarage Road in October, with Arsenal running out comfortable 3-0 winners.

Collecting his award for Nigerian footballer of the Year Ighalo told Goal: "I think I've faced a lot of tough defenders this season.

"But I would say that against Arsenal Koscielny didn't give me enough space to do what I want to do and that game was really difficult."

This season has seen Koscielny emerge as Arsene Wenger's first-choice centre-back, with Per Mertesacker and Gabriel doing battle to join him in the starting lineup over recent weeks.

Arsenal have conceded just 23 goals in 26 games this season, a record bettered only by Tottenham.
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/watford-striker-odion-ighalo-arsenals-laurent-koscielny-has-been-my-toughest-opponent-of-the-season-a3181421.html
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 4:21pm On Feb 16, 2016
[size=14pt]
Unknown Nigerian Okoye lifts Cypriot club
[/size]

Emmanuel Okoye

Relatively unknown Nigerian striker Emmanuel Okoye was the hero of his Cypriot top flight league team Paphos as he scored a brace in a 4-1 trouncing of Ayia Napa.

Okoye netted in the 17th minute to level scores at 1-1.

He went on to complete a brace with a goal in the 38th minute to give his team a 3-1 lead.

The striker ended his goals’ drought with a brace on Sunday after he failed to find the back of the net in 19 previous games.

The 24-year-old striker has played for Panionios(Greece) and Aris Limassol(Cyprus).

Nigeria defender Rasheed Alabi was not dressed for Paphos as he was serving a match ban due to red card.
http://africanfootball.com//news/612046/Unknown-Nigerian-Okoye-lifts-Cypriot-club

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 5:06pm On Feb 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria: 'NFF Responsible for Oliseh's Stay Abroad'
[/size]
By Mike Oboh

The inability of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) to secure accommodation for the Super Eagles' Chief Coach Sunday Oliseh has been attributed to his (Oliseh) failure to stay in Nigeria.

Oliseh, who has not settled down in Nigeria since his assumption of office seven months ago, was said to have turned down the decision of his employers to accommodate him in a hotel in Abuja.

The coach, who is on N5 million housing allowance, had requested the NFF to secure accommodation for him in the capital city instead of the option of a hotel accommodation.

A dependable source told Daily Trust in Abuja yesterday that Oliseh was ready to relocate to Abuja to concentrate on his assignment but the failure of the federation to meet part of their contractual agreement was responsible for his decision to remain in Belgium.

The source also said the same applies to his three assistants, whose housing allowance is N2.5million each.

His foreign assistant, Jean Francois Losciuto, on several occasions was stranded in Lagos after returning from national assignment with the team because of lack of accommodation.

Losciuto has to move to Togo to stay with his friend while Alloy Agu and Yusuf Salihu return to their bases in Lagos and Kano respectively.

A top NFF official, who spoke to our correspondent yesterday, said paucity of funds in the federation was responsible for the inability of the federation to secure accommodation for the manager.

The NFF spokesman, Ademola Olajire when contacted said the body was working out the best way to resolve the coaches' accommodation problem.

"The NFF is working out ways to resolve the coaches' accommodation problem that is all I can say on that," Olajire said.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201602160376.html
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 5:06pm On Feb 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria: Moses Ready for Eagles-Pharaohs Match
[/size]
By Tony Ubani

Super Eagles West Ham player, Victor Moses was rattled by media reports Monday over his injury that he called the Nigeria Football Federation, NFF, to assure that he was hale and hearty and ready to play his first match under coach Sunday Oliseh against the Pharaohs of Egypt.

The Chelsea player who is on loan to West Ham, has not kicked a ball for the Eagles since Oliseh took over the reins of the national team assured the NFF of his availability for the all important Nations Cup double header against Egypt in Kaduna on March 26.

NFF's spokesman, Ademola Olajire confirmed yesterday that Moses called the football house to pledge his availability and loyalty to coach Oliseh.

"Victor Moses called yesterday about media reports that he was injured. He said he was ready to play for the Eagles and dismissed that he was injured", Olajire said.

Nigeria face Egypt in back-to-back 2017 African Cup of Nations fixtures next month.

The Eagles are two points behind group leaders Egypt after two rounds of matches with only the group winners guaranteed automatic qualification to the tournament in Gabon.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201602160068.html
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 5:09pm On Feb 16, 2016
[size=14pt]
Henry Osita Chikere Returns To Norway After Unsuccessful Trials With GAIS
[/size]

Swedish Superettan club GAIS have passed up the opportunity to sign former Viking striker Henry Osita Chikere, allnigeriasoccer.com understands.

GAIS had ran the rule over the 24-year-old for four days before informing his intermediary that he won’t be offered a contact.

Chikere has returned to Norway and will now have to wait for proposals from other clubs ahead of the start of the leagues in Norway and Sweden.

Around this time last year, he trained with FC sheriff of Moldova but nothing came out of it.
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=17931

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 5:10pm On Feb 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Blackburn Rovers Sweating On Fitness Of Hope Akpan
[/size]

Blackburn Rovers boss Paul Lambert is sweating on the fitness of Nigeria international Hope Akpan ahead of tonight’s Championship clash against Fulham.

The defensive midfielder was not involved in last weekend’s game against Hull City as a result of illness and is doubtful to face the Londoners as well as Hanley and Graham.

“We’ll have to wait until the last minute to see how they are. Hope trained this morning after his bug, and we’ll see how Danny and Grant are tomorrow,” Lambert told Blackburn official website on Monday.

“They did little bits this morning so we’ll give them every chance to see.”

Akpan has featured 25 times in the second - tier and was on target against Sheffield Wednesday (November 28) and Queens Park Rangers(January 12).
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=17932
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:12pm On Feb 17, 2016
[size=14pt]
Mikel's goal big for Chelsea says Hiddink
[/size]

Mikel Obi

Chelsea manager Guus Hiddink said he believes Mikel Obi's away goal in a 2-1 defeat against PSG in France could be key in determining the team progress to the quarterfinal of UEFA Champions League.

Mikel cancelled out Zlatan Ibrahimovic's opener before substitute Edinson Cavani earned a 2-1 first-leg win for the hosts at the Parc des Princes in Paris.

"I think it's 50-50 still. You have to consider it's a two-leg game. Scoring away is always good,” said the very experienced Hiddink.

Away goals have separated these sides in the Champions League in each of the last two seasons and Hiddink is optimistic Chelsea's position is favourable ahead of the March 9 second leg at Stamford Bridge.
http://africanfootball.com/news/612203/Mikel-s-goal-big-for-Chelsea-says-Hiddink

3 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:12pm On Feb 17, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Mikel: We have the second leg at home
[/size]

Obi Mikel

Nigeria and Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel says they are disappointed to have lost their UEFA Champions League match against Paris St Germain on Tuesday night.

The Super Eagles international scored the Blues’ only goal and he shared his reactions after their first leg 2-1 loss in Paris.

According to ESPN, Mikel is adamant that the away goal they scored will help them in the return leg which will be held in London.

The Nigerian cancelled out Zlatan Ibrahimovic's opener, but Laurent Blanc’s men dominated the proceedings in the second half and will go back to Stamford Bridge with a slim advantage after Edinson Cavani's deserved winner.

Although Mikel brought down Lucas Moura five yards outside of the box for a free-kick, the midfielder says he tried to get the ball.

"I had to fall in because he (Lucas) was going deeper and deeper into our 18-yard box," Mikel told BT Sport.

"I had to, if not get the ball foul him, which I did. And then the free kick as well just skipped off my feet and went into the back of the net.

"But we came back strong as well, but we're very disappointed to have lost the game.

"We know they're a very good team. Our aim was to come out here and get a goal and we've done that tonight.

“We still have the second leg to play back home, so we have to take that back home and capitalise on that and make sure we build on that."

The return leg is scheduled to be staged on Wednesday, 9 March at Stamford Bridge and Guus Hiddink’s men will have to dig deep and reverse the away defeat for them to reach the next stage.
http://africanfootball.com/news/612262/Mikel-We-have-the-second-leg-at-home
[/b]

3 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 4:15pm On Feb 17, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Emenike wants to start firing goals for West Ham
[/size]

Emenike

Nigeria striker Emmanuel Emenike has told AfricanFootball.com he hopes to soon get off the mark for English Premier League side West Ham, just as he insists he is not under pressure at his new club.

The 28-year-old Emenike is on a season-long loan deal from Turkish giants Fenerbache with an option for West Ham to sign him on a permanent basis.

He has made two appearances in the league for ‘The Hammers’, totaling 37 minutes of action, but he has yet to score in England.

"In a team like West Ham, you need instant success to justify lots of things and I am working hard to make that happens to make everyone happy," he told AfricanFootball.com

"I am not under pressure at West Ham to get goals. I am focused on the task, which is to score goals and help my team win games, and the goals will come.”

He said he welcomes criticisms as that could only make him stronger and better.

"Every criticism has a positive dimension for me because I always strive hard to be myself, work harder to contribute to the team’s success and get the goals,” he offered.

“I am just focused on getting better and getting the goals."

By Olusola Alao
http://africanfootball.com/news/612274/Emenike-wants-to-start-firing-goals-for-West-Ham
[/b]

3 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 4:32pm On Feb 17, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Top reactions to rare Mikel goal
[/size]

Mikel Obi

Nigerian International and Chelsea midfielder, Mikel Obi, scored a rare goal in his club’s Champion’s League tie with PSG on Tuesday.

The goal, which cancelled out Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s opener for the French club, gave Chelsea a fighting chance heading into the second leg of the tie in London.

Although PSG won the match 2-1, the goal, one of six scored by the midfielder in 10 seasons at Chelsea, set Twitter on fire.

Some considered it atonement for his error, which resulted in PSG’s opener, for others it meant the end is near.
Here are some of the top reactions:

When Mikel scored last night pic.twitter.com/vMBDYcAqH1

— ️ (@HazardEdition) February 17, 2016

WATCH: Reaction to Mikel’s goal on Soccer Special. PSG v Chelsea is back underway. Blog: https:///CNvwWSsSGN https:///LURZTdMW3I — Sky Sports Football (@SkyFootball) February 16, 2016

Ladies and Gentlemen…With the last kick of the half, our own Mikel Obi scored from Willian’s cross. #SoccerChatPH pic.twitter.com/fBmvxklZwh

— Touchph.com (@TouchPH) February 16, 2016

Best upgrade ? Mikel: 40 -> 100 in 5 minutes. Congrats Obi ! pic.twitter.com/mNbVwSgcKT — IamFrench (@IamFrench_) February 16, 2016

When Mikel scores against your team.. pic.twitter.com/7aXu8zFiT1

— Football Funnys (@FootballFunnys) February 16, 2016

BREAKING: Jon Obi Mikel scores a goal for Chelsea! pic.twitter.com/x089zjdFG8 — BBC Sporf (@BBCSporf) February 16, 2016

“Oga Mikel scored today , should i declare tomorrow public holiday for Nigerians? ” pic.twitter.com/TkuKIKrlBR

— Mesut Sanchez 11/17 (@SemilooreAkoni) February 16, 2016
http://www.punchng.com/top-reactions-to-rare-mikel-goal/
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 4:33pm On Feb 17, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Dalung Cautions NFF Against Incessant Sacking Of Coaches
[/size]

The sports minister addressed a press conference in Abuja on Tuesday where he spoke about the problems inherent in Nigerian football and administration

The Minister of Sports and Youth Development, Solomon Dalung, has threatened to send packing the leadership of the Nigeria Football Federation over the arbitrary sacking of national team coaches for failing to win championships.

At a press conference in his office in Abuja on Tuesday, Dalung explained why he intervened to save the job of Super Eagles coach Sunday Oliseh and settled the rift over the choice of Kaduna for next month’s Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Egypt.

Aside his quest to end nepotism in future elections into various sports federations, he argued the authenticity of Oliseh’s rant in the YouTube Video, sadly opining that the video was manipulated when the coach has publicly apologised.

“The decision to fix matches is the direct responsibility of the NFF not on the rectangular size of my table,” Dalung told media.

“I can tell you that they have already had problems with the Kaduna venue because the coach wants Port Harcourt, while the federation was insisting on Kaduna.

“When I waded into it appealing to them, the coach told me that the team is playing against many negative things but when I asked the leadership of the federation, they started the whole story about the crisis with the coach.

“But I told them they were drifting too far into the issue of sacking the coach since I was not interested in listening to their stories.

“We should be able to build a country where we should celebrate somebody that did well and sympathize with him if he fails, encouraging him to do better. I told the federation that overconfidence ruined the team.

“I told the federation that they don’t need to sack the coach because he lost a game. They brought the issue of YouTube complaining that the man embarrassed Nigerians and must apologise.

“But I told them that they should not judge him based on the YouTube because technology is now so sophisticated that a man can be manipulated having an affair with a woman when it is not true.

“Yes, I agree that I am a novice as they claimed but I looked at that video and the way it was fluctuating convinced that there was an act of manipulation. This is my own judgment and I am free to hold this opinion.

“I told them if they have not heard from Oliseh directly concerning those things on YouTube, they have to hold on until I speak to Oliseh. When I spoke to him, he did not indicate any bitterness throughout the 16 minutes the discussion lasted. He rather pointed at issues we have to address.

“I know very well the circumstances with which he trained the players and even NFF know. I told the federation that based on the discussion, we have to look at how we can make progress out of it instead of sacking Oliseh now and bringing another person we will sack again when he loses against Egypt.

“After sacking another, we will then look at how we can sack the NFF because if we sack the coaches, we will face the people that employed them since they have also failed too. It is going to be a sack game which is what we should avoid. I told them it is natural to discipline coaches but not to sack them.”

“If I will still be here when the elections into the board of the federations will be done, I am assuring Nigerians that nobody will pick his in-law or farmers’ association chairman as a member of a board.

“Those who are contesting must show their commitment, they must show how they will guide their federation to success.

“Most of all the problems we are having in the federations are linked to this. We have federations that are existing and cannot do anything except the ministry gives them money.

“The ministry even funds the ticket for a president [of a federation] to come for meetings. At the end of the day, you will discover that the federations have been reduced to a battle ground; nothing but fighting over relevance and resources.

“A man who was a leader of a farming group in the village will now be appointed a board member in a football federation.

“Immediately he arrives on the board, he considers himself as having been appointed into a big political office where he must be paid allowances and he must be given money, he has nothing to contribute but much is going to be spent on him.

“This is the cancer, this is the zika virus that is eating into all the federations and is responsible for all these problems. We must build a sport architecture that only those who have interest can come on as board members,” he concluded.
http://leadership.ng/sports/502122/dalung-cautions-nff-incessant-sacking-coaches
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 4:33pm On Feb 17, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Utaka guns for first trophy in Japan
[/size]

Peter Utaka is setting new targets in Japan

Ex-Nigeria international Peter Utaka has told AfricanFootball.com he hopes to win his first trophy in Japan when he leads new club Sanfrecce Hiroshima against Gamba Osaka in the Japanese Super Cup in Yokohama on Friday.

The Shimizu S-Pulse loanee said the game will be tough and that having played against Gamba Osaka previously, he knows what the team are capable of.

"The Super Cup game against Gamba Osaka is not going to be an easy one, I know the qualities of the team having played against them while I was in Pulse. But it will be a pleasure to start on a winning note here at Sanfrecce Hiroshima,” Utaka told AfricanFootball.com

“I joined the club because they have lots of potentials to win trophies and I am hoping to be part of history by winning this."

Utaka further said of his latest move: "Hiroshima will make me better, I want to make the fans and everybody associated with club happy with goals.

“When you move to a club like this, big things are expected, of course it’s a big challenge, but I am hoping to make it better days."

The strier has played in Belgium, Denmark and China.

Sanfrecce Hiroshima are the J1 League champions and have won the Japanese Super Cup thrice, in 2008, 2013 and 2014, while Gamba Osaka have won it twice, in 2007 and 2015.
http://africanfootball.com/news/612313/Utaka-guns-for-first-trophy-in-Japan
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 4:36pm On Feb 17, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Egypt not as hot as before – Oliseh
[/size]
Pius Ayinor

Super Eagles Coach, Sunday Oliseh

Nigeria coach Sunday Oliseh has said that he is confident that the Super Eagles can secure the maximum points against Egypt in their 2017 Africa Cup of Nations double-header in March, disclosing that the North Africans are no longer as good as they used to be.

The former Eagles captain is hopeful that a decent preparation ahead of the games in Kaduna and Cairo would give his team a good chance of qualifying for the 2017 AFCON.

He said, “The Egyptian team is far from the one of four years ago. So our chances are bright.

“We just need to concentrate and try to win for Nigeria.”

The Egyptians had been dominant on the continent over the decades but have practically struggled in the last six years having failed to qualify for the AFCON within this period. They last featured in Angola 2010, where they beat Nigeria 3-1 in the group stage. The Nigerian team, which had been returning to fairly good times, dipped again soon after winning the 2013 AFCON, thus leaving both sides on virtually the same pedestal as the battle for Gabon 2017 continues.

The first leg originally billed for March 23 in Kaduna had been moved to the 26th – a move the coach believes will help the Eagles to prepare in a better fashion.

“Yes, it was my idea to ask for a slight shift to give us time to work,” he told The PUNCH on Tuesday.

But despite the Nigeria Football Federation’s announcement that the match will now be played on March 26, it seems the Egyptians are yet to come to terms with the new date as reports credited to the Egyptian FA suggest they have yet to be informed of the change by the Confederation of African Football.

Egypt Football Association claims it is not aware of any change and will go ahead with the initial plan to play the game on March 23.

“No official letters have been received yet regarding the Nigeria-Egypt game’s rescheduling and we’ll announce when we get confirmation,” EFA board member Ehab Lehitah told efa.com.eg.

“Egypt will start a training camp ahead of the qualifiers on February 23, four days before they play Burkina Faso in a friendly in Borg El-Arab Stadium, Alexandria.”

Nigeria are two points behind Egypt in Group G of the qualifiers.
http://www.punchng.com/egypt-not-as-hot-as-before-oliseh/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 5:17pm On Feb 17, 2016
[size=14pt]
Fanendo Adi Pleased With Obafemi Martins Move To Shanghai Shenhua
[/size]

Portland Timbers striker Fanendo Adi thinks Obafemi Martins’s move to Shanghai Shenhua is a good step for him in his career.

Both players had a chat after the Timbers pre-season game with Seattle Sounders on February 6 in in Tucson.

“He was telling me, “your fans are crazy”. I’m like, “yeah, that’s what we expect.” said Fanendo Adi, according to oregonlive.com.

“Probably it’s a good move for him. And it’s a good move for us.”

Meanwhile, Martins put an end to speculation surrounding his move to Shanghai Shenhua after he arrived in South Korea for the team’s pre-season training.

The 31-year-old Martins has penned a one-year contract with the Chinese side.
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=17945

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 5:17pm On Feb 17, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Rilwan Hassan Expects FC Midtjylland To Treat Manchester United Like Southampton
[/size]

Rilwan Hassan is confident that FC Midtjylland will not quake in their boots on Thursday night in their intriguing clash with English Premiership giants Manchester United in the Europa League Round of 32, first leg.

The Danish champions have met English opposition in this competition this season, seeing off Southampton over two legs in the play-off round and Hassan has drawn inspiration from that memorable night in Herning six months ago.

“I think it is going to be a hard game because the team is one of the best in England, it is going to require lots of hard work and full concentration if we are going to conquer Manchester United, ”Hassan told allnigeriasoccer.com.

“We have done it before against Southampton and I am very sure we can do it again.”

The winger has not featured in a competitive game for Midtjylland for close to six months but has been named in the provisional squad for tomorrow’s contest.

Rilwan Hassan, 25, has nine appearances under his belt in the Europa League since he made his debut in the competition.
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=17944
[/b]

1 Like

[size=14pt]
Finnish Club Kokkolan Palloveikot Running The Rule Over Ndukaku Alison
[/size]

Newly-promoted Finnish Ykkonen side Kokkolan Palloveikot have reported on their official webpage that Ndukaku Alison will undergo trials with the club.

A central defender by trade, Alison previously played in the Finnish top-flight for RoPS and the highlight of his career before he departed the club was assisting them win the Suomen Cup in 2013.

Last season, he represented Kajaani, with whom he played 25 times and scored one goal against Kerho 07 (SJK II).

The manager of Kokkolan Palloveikot will monitor Ndukaku Alison at close quarters in Saturday’s friendly with Kajaani.

On his curriculum vitae, the 24-year-old Alison has also turned out for Roi Et United in Thailand and JS Hercules.
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=17942

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 5:19pm On Feb 17, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Obi Mikel Explains Why He Fouled Lucas Moura
[/size]

John Obi Mikel is not writing off Chelsea’s chances of advancing to the quarterfinals of the UEFA Champions League despite the Londoners suffering a 2-1 loss at the hands of PSG on Tuesday night.

The Nigeria international admitted that he had to foul Lucas Moura because he was approaching Chelsea’s penalty box.

“I had to fall in because he was going deeper and deeper into our 18-yard box,” Mikel told reporters.

“I had to, if not get the ball, foul him, which I did. And then the free kick as well just skipped off my feet and went into the back of the net.

“But we came back strong as well, but we’re very disappointed to have lost the game.”

The Chelsea number twelve added : “We know they’re a very good team. Our aim was to come out here and get a goal and we’ve done that tonight.

“We still have the second leg to play back home, so we have to take that back home and capitalise on that and make sure we build on that.”

The 28-year-old Mikel played his 58th game in the Champions League against the French opponents.
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=17938
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 5:24pm On Feb 17, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Sunday Oliseh To Recall Brown Ideye After Two Years In International Wilderness?
[/size]

Super Eagles coach Sunday Oliseh is contemplating whether or not to invite Olympiakos striker Brown Ideye for next month’s African Cup of Nations qualifying fixtures against Egypt.

Gazzetta.gr has speculated that the former Juventus and Ajax Amsterdam midfielder will call up Ideye for the double-header on the heels of his outstanding performance in the Greek Super League.

Since Oliseh took over from Stephen Keshi as the Super Eagles coach, Ideye has not featured for the national team, with his last appearance coming against Italy in a pre-World Cup friendly on November 18,2013.

Oliseh said in September 2015 : “Ideye is one of the players that I will immediately watch. He is in my plans and I want to see him playing for Olympiakos.

“His movement in Greece will be good for him and for Olympiakos. Of course this will help me enlist him to my options.”

Ideye has been involved in 14 goals across all competitions so far this season.
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=17939
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 5:24pm On Feb 17, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Vicenza Make Move For St Johnstone Trialist Daniel Adejo
[/size]

Italian Serie B side Vicenza are being linked with a move for former Nigeria Under-20 international Daniel Adejo, 26.

According to transfer market expert, gianlucadimarzio.com, the Biancorossi are in the free agency market for a defender following the injury sustained by Brighenti , who could spend a minimum of two weeks on the sidelines.

The number one candidate is Daniel Adejo, who rose through the youth ranks of Reggina before being handed his first-team debut.

Vicenza higher-ups have opened a line of communication with the stopper’s representatives and are hoping to finalize a deal before Saturday’s league game against Avellino.

Adejo is presently in the United Kingdom testing with Scottish Premier League team St Johnstone .
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=17936
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:24am On Feb 20, 2016
[size=14pt]
Igboun Scores In UFA’s Friendly Win As Shehu, Esiti Clash
[/size]

By James Agberebi:

Super Eagles forward Sylvester Igboun was on target for UFA in their 4-1 win against Luch Energiya in a club friendly game on Friday.

Igboun scored in the 25th minute to put UFA 1-0 ahead.

Other scorers for UFA are Haris Handzic, who scored two goals, and Dmitri Stotskiy.

In the Portuguese league also on Friday, Super Eagles defender Abdullahi Shehu featured for Uniao da Madeira who were held 1-1 by visiting Estoril.

Shehu saw 90 minute of action for Uniao da Madeira.

Also on parade in the match was Anderson Esiti, who played 90 minutes for Estoril but was booked in the 42nd minute.
http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/igboun-scores-in-ufas-friendly-win-as-shehu-esiti-clash/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:24am On Feb 20, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Adeniji Eager To impress At Levski Sofia
[/size]

By Adeboye Amosu‎:

Nigeria forward, Tunde Adeniji, hopes to make his time at Bulgarian side, Levski Sofia a memorable one, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

The powerful forward who joined the club from Nigeria Professional Football League club, Sunshine Stars penned a three year deal with the club.

Adeniji told Completesportsnigeria.com that he was looking forward to becoming a household name in the Bulgarian league.

"I'm dellighted with the move to Levski," Adeniji revealed to Completesportsnigeria.com.

"It's the dream of every young footballer in Africa to play in Europe and I'm delighted with this great opportunity.

"My target is to do well with Levski and make the fans happy.

"Hopefully, I can enjoy great success at the club and also win a couple of titles."
http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/adeniji-eager-to-impress-at-levski-sofia/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:25am On Feb 20, 2016
[size=14pt]
Bright Dike Joins Russia’s Amkar Perm
[/size]

By Dare Esan:

Nigerian striker Bright Dike has expressed his delight after joining Russian Premier League side Amkar Perm.
Dike, who broke into the Super Eagles squad under Stephen Keshi, penned a one-and-a-half-year deal late on Friday night.

The deal was brokered by Emeka Ezeala, former technical assistant to ex-Super Eagles coach Berti Vogts.
Dike, who turned out for Portlant Timbers in the USA Major League Soccer, took to Twitter to confirm the move.

“I’m extremely happy and proud to sign with @fc_amkar, Thank you God,” Dike tweeted along with a picture of him holding his new shirt with his name written in Russian. “And my name looks pretty nice in Russian!”
http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/bright-dike-joins-russias-amkar-perm/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 10:30am On Feb 20, 2016
[size=14pt]
Igboun Scores In UFA’s Friendly Win As Shehu, Esiti Clash
[/size]

By James Agberebi:

Super Eagles forward Sylvester Igboun was on target for UFA in their 4-1 win against Luch Energiya in a club friendly game on Friday.

Igboun scored in the 25th minute to put UFA 1-0 ahead.

Other scorers for UFA are Haris Handzic, who scored two goals, and Dmitri Stotskiy.

In the Portuguese league also on Friday, Super Eagles defender Abdullahi Shehu featured for Uniao da Madeira who were held 1-1 by visiting Estoril.

Shehu saw 90 minute of action for Uniao da Madeira.

Also on parade in the match was Anderson Esiti, who played 90 minutes for Estoril but was booked in the 42nd minute.
http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/igboun-scores-in-ufas-friendly-win-as-shehu-esiti-clash/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:35pm On Feb 21, 2016
Victor Moses scores!

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:58pm On Feb 21, 2016
Eminike with a brace today.

3 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:14pm On Feb 21, 2016
Oops almost forgot about Isaac Suuccess and Granada in action, right now it's 0-0 halftime.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 11:06am On Feb 24, 2016
[b][size=14pt]Arsenal in for Ighalo, Watford for Success[/size]

[img]http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i/?img=/photo/2016/0203/r50402_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=738&site=espnfc[/img]

According to The Mirror, Arsenal and Arsene Wenger are stepping up their interest in £20m-rated Watford forward Odion Ighalo. They have identified 26-year-old as one of the strikers at the top of their shortlist for summer strikers.

Wenger believes they have strength in depth with Olivier Giroud, Theo Walcott and Danny Welbeck who can all play through the middle, but he does want a centre-forward and the club are keeping close tabs on Ighalo who is becoming a hot property.

Watford may have to sell if they receive an offer of around £20m and Arsenal, Chelsea and Atletico Madrid have all reportedly scouted at the Nigerian forward. Watford are already looking at Granada striker Isaac Success as a potential replacement.

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/transfer-talk/79/post/2814034/paul-pogba-tops-guardiolas-wish-list-at-manchester-city[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 11:24am On Feb 24, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Arsenal step up interest in £20m-rated Nigerian hitman who’s bagged 14 top-flight goals this season
[/size]

by Gary Emmerson

According to reports, Arsenalare intensifying their interest in Watfordhitman Odion Ighalo.

The Mirror report that the Gunners are targeting the Nigeria striker, having identified him among the strikers at the top of their summer transfer hit list.

Arsene Wenger is understood to be looking to bolster his attacking options during the summer, and is considering Ighalo—who has bagged 14 goals in this, his first campaign in the Premier League.

The newspaper notes that Watford may be forced to sell the attacker if they receive an offer of £20 million for the 26-year-old.

The Super Eagles hitman fired the Hornets to the Premier League after taking the Championship by storm last term, and as well as his goal haul this season, he has also contributed three assists, and forged a superb partnership with Troy Deeney.

With Ighalo and Deeney leading the line, Quique Flores’s side have established themselves in mid table upon their return to the Premier League, and currently sit in ninth on 39 points.

Arsenal have the second-best defensive record in the division, but four sides in the EPL—including 11th-placed Everton—have scored more than the Gunners’ tally of 41. They drew a blank again on Tuesday night as they fell to a 2-0 defeat by Barcelona on Tuesday evening.
www.caughtoffside.com/2016/02/24/ighalo-arsenal-keen-on-watford-hitman/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 11:30am On Feb 24, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Obafemi Martins To Earn $6.6 Million Net Per Season In China
[/size]

Obafemi Martins will earn $6.6 million net ( approximately N2.4 billion in Nigerian currency) in the first year of his contract with Chinese Super League club Shanghai Greenland Shenhua.

According to Washington Postreporter, Steven Goff, the Nigeria international was due to gross $3.6m with Sounders this year but will almost triple his wages in his current deal if you factor in taxation.

Seattle Sounders cashed in on the former Inter Milan, Newcastle and Wolfsburg star afterShanghai Greenland Shenhua met their $2 million asking price.

The 31-year-old Martins has penned a one-year contract with Shanghai Greenland Shenhua but that could be extended at the end of 2016 to one more year depending on his performance.

The Super Eagles star joined his new team in South Korea for pre-season training last week and has played two test games so far.
www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18016
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 11:49am On Feb 24, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers - Africa Egypt
Oliseh: Let's fight to beat Egypt, not ourselves
[/size]

Nigeria vs Egypt at the 2010 AFCON in Angola

Nigeria coach Sunday Oliseh has asked that the country put behind recent misgivings so as to forge a united front that will beat Egypt in an AFCON 2017 qualifier next month.

Nigeria will battle Egypt in a decisive AFCON qualifier on March 25 with the reverse leg in Egypt a couple of days later.

Seven-time African champions Egypt are top of the qualifying group with six points, while Nigeria are two points behind with only the group winners assured of automatic passage to the AFCON in Gabon in January 2017.

Oliseh has therefore urged that all be forgiven and forgotten after the country failed to go past the knockout stage of the 2016 CHAN, followed by his YouTube outburst and the fallouts thereafter.

“We have to move on, the interest of our nation should come first,” pleaded the coach, who has already tendered an apology to his employers.

“We have to fight Egypt and not ourselves now. We have to come together. Nigeria comes first.

“We have to be in Gabon (AFCON 2017) and Russia (2018 World Cup).”
africanfootball.com/news/613738/Oliseh-Let-s-fight-to-beat-Egypt-not-ourselves
[/b]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) ... (161) (Reply)

Difference Btw Handicap 0:1 And Handicap 1:0 / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.