Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,071 members, 7,867,055 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 10:15 AM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (112) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (251801 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 11:51am On Feb 24, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers - Africa Chelsea
Mikel hits out at Mourinho again
[/size]

Chelsea midfielder Mikel with former manager Jose Mourinho

Nigeria midfielder Mikel Obi has again thrown jibes at former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho, saying the London club’s dressing room is a lot more relaxed because caretaker manager Guus Hiddink minds his own business.

Mikel mostly warmed the bench during Mourinho’s second coming, but he has been a lot more regular under Hiddink.

“From day one, since Guus has come in, the atmosphere has changed,’ the 29-year-old Mikel said. “The players feel more relaxed, people know what their jobs are and people are getting on with their jobs in a more relaxed way. And a way they can perform very well.

“He has given responsibility to people and expects them to thrive on it and make sure they do it in way where they feel comfortable.
I think that is what the players are showing now.

“When you come into the training ground, the players are more relaxed, he doesn’t get into people’s business, he gets on with his own thing and players feel very comfortable and know exactly what to do so when he gets on the training pitch, he doesn’t need to speak.

“We all know what he wants and it is the same when we go into a game.”

The Nigeria star said like most of the Chelsea players he will want Dutchman Hiddink to stay beyond this season.

“I want him to stay,” he said. “It is the choice of the owner, the club and the board. They will have to decide. But if you speak to the players, 98 or 99 per cent of them want him to stay so I mean, we are very happy, we are performing well and let’s hope this continues.

“It depends on the board and it depends on Guus if he wants to continue. He has said that he is here until the end of the season but you never know, he might change his mind. If the club want to appoint him fair enough. His record speaks for itself.”
africanfootball.com/news/613626/Mikel-hits-out-at-Mourinho-again
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 11:55am On Feb 24, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria 2017 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers West Ham United
Oliseh hits England for Mikel, Ighalo, Victor Moses
[/size]

Ighalo - Oliseh plans to meet Watford striker in England

by Samm Audu

Nigeria coach Sunday Oliseh has said he plans to be in England this weekend to visit the country’s top stars like Mikel Obi, Odion Ighalo and Victor Moses ahead of next month’s crucial AFCON qualifiers against Egypt.

His meeting with the technical committee of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) on Friday in Abuja will therefore now be shelved till next month when the training camp will open for the Egypt showdown.

“I will want to meet the players in England this weekend as I have already visited Holland and Belgium,” Oliseh said in a radio interview Tuesday morning.

“Our players are hitting a reasonable form at the moment - Ighalo is doing exceptionally well, Victor Moses is looking fit, but we have to wait and see how fit he is.

“With the bad weather in Europe now, there is no better place than sunny Nigeria for me to be to eat pounded yam, but I now hope to meet the (technical) committee when the camp opens in about two weeks.”

Carl Ikeme (Wolves), Alex Iwobi (Arsenal) and Kelechi Iheanacho (Manchester City) are the other players Oliseh will sound out while in England.

Nigeria host Egypt on Friday, March 25 in Kaduna with the return match in Egypt two days later.
africanfootball.com/news/613726/Oliseh-hits-England-for-Mikel-Ighalo-Victor-Moses
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 12:02pm On Feb 24, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Egypt Coach Cuper Banks On Salah, Elneny To Beat Eagles
[/size]

By Johnny Edward:
Egypt's national team coach, Hector Cuper, is counting on the duo of AS Roma's Mohamed Salah and Arsenal's midfielder, Mohamed Elneny, to beat Nigeria over two legs in next month's 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers.

Cuper also defended his team's upcoming friendly against Burkina Faso, insisting it's the best preparation for the encounter against Nigeria despite the absence of overseas-based players. Cuper further claims he isn't worried by the age of Essam El-Hadry who earned his first ever call up to the national team after 15 months.

"The fact that Salah and Elneny are playing for big European clubs is beneficial for the national team," Cuper explained to the media in a press conference at the soccer EFF Federation headquarters in Cairo, Egypt ahead of the camp launch on Tuesday.

"They are very humble and every time they adapt quickly with their teammates for the sake of the team," Cuper added.

The duo were instrumental to the Pharoahs position on top of Group G of the Nations Cup qualifiers with a maximum six points after wins over Tanzania and Chad.

"I am not worried about calling up El-Hadary, as his age is not a problem for me at all. He is a very good keeper and he proved that in recent league games," Cuper said about the former Ahly, Zamalek and Ismaily star.

Egypt are bidding to reach the Nations Cup for the first time since winning the last of their record seven titles in 2010.

Cuper also adds that the door was open to other players ahead of the Nigeria encounter.

"The Burkina Faso match will be the best preparation for the Nigeria clash despite the absence of foreign based players. It will be a good opportunity to examine the local players – the best in the league at the time being,"

"The national team's door is still open for any new player ahead of the Nigeria encounter. The selected players must do their best to prove their worth and cement a place in the starting line-up," Cuper said.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/egypt-coach-cuper-banks-on-salah-elneny-to-beat-eagles/
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 12:03pm On Feb 24, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Emenike: West Ham Can Beat United, Win FA Cup
[/size]
By James Agberebi:
Nigerian striker Emmanuel Emenike has expressed confidence that West Ham can go all the way and win the FA Cup.

Emenike opened his goals account for the Hammers, scoring two goals in a 5-1 win against Blackburn Rovers in an FA Cup fifth round clash at Ewood Park on Sunday.

West Ham face Manchester United in the quarter-finals in March but Emenike is unfazed.

“It’s a really special one for me that I played on Sunday and scored in the FA Cup," Emenike told Turkishfootball.com.

“I think we are good enough to go all the way. We work hard for each other and we have good players.”

He went on to praise the fans for their support towards him.

“I just want to say a big thank you to the fans for their support,” he added.

“Last week was a tough week for me, because I missed a chance to give us three points, but thankfully I made up for it on Sunday and made the fans happy.”
www.completesportsnigeria.com/emenike-west-ham-can-beat-united-win-fa-cup/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 12:06pm On Feb 24, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Ezenwa Eyes Super Eagles No.1 Spot Ahead Of Ikeme
[/size]

By Izuchukwu Okosi:
Sunshine Stars of Akure and Super Eagles goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa is hopeful he can soon become the first choice keeper of the senior national side at the expense of Wolverhampton Wanderers’ Carl Ikeme.

Ikeme has been installed as the preferred Eagles’ first choice keeper since the retirement of Vincent Enyeama in 2015 but Ezenwa believes there is still time to snatch the gloves from the British-born keeper.

“Nigeria have been blessed with great keepers in the past. We still have quality goalkeepers in the local league so the future is very good for us,” Ezenwa told Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

“My expectation is that I will play more matches for the Super Eagles and convince the coaching crew that I am the best choice as Vincent Enyeama’s replacement.

“Carl (Ikeme) has done well but Vincent’s retirement was recent so it is still open for anybody.”

The former Flying Eagles custodian was Nigeria’s first choice keeper at the African Nations Championship in Rwanda in January, where he was in action for all of the Super Eagles’ three group games against Niger, Tunisia and Guinea.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/ezenwa-eyes-super-eagles-no-1-spot-ahead-of-ikeme/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 5:01pm On Feb 24, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Cuper: Burkina Faso will help us get ready for Nigeria
[/size]

Egypt's head coach Hector Cuper

by Brian Lee

Egypt's head coach Hector Cuper says that he's happy to reunite with his players as they are getting ready to face Burkina Faso in a friendly.

The Pharaohs manager was quoted by KingFut.com as saying the encounter against the Burkinabe next Saturday will help to prepare for the big one against Nigeria.

Egypt are scheduled to meet the Super Eagles next month in their 2017 CAF Africa Cup of Nations Qualifier.

“I am happy to meet with the players again in order to explain my thoughts and therefore increase the harmony between them and the coaching staff,” Cuper said.

“Burkina Faso’s game will prepare us well for the Nigeria clash in the Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers, despite not having our players abroad, this is a good chance to test our local league’s best players.

“The exclusion of some players from this training camp, doesn’t mean they won’t be called up for Nigeria’s clash.

“They just have to work harder and prove their worth. Therefore new players might get called up for Nigeria training camp.”

On the other hand, the Argentine mentor adds that Zamalek and Al Ahly's form is not a concern to him.

“I’m not worried by Al Ahly and Zamalek’s inconsistent form, this is the the time for new teams and players to shine,” adds the coach.

“I hope we beat Nigeria or at least maintain the two-point difference between us, in order to qualify to the African Cup of Nations.”
http://africanfootball.com//news/614119/Cuper-Burkina-Faso-will-help-us-get-ready-for-Nigeria
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 5:01pm On Feb 24, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Egypt have Salah, Nigeria have our own stars too - Oliseh
[/size]

Egypt top star Mohamed Salah

Nigeria coach Sunday Oliseh has picked out AS Roma striker Mohamed Salah as Egypt’s top star, but he has also maintained his team also have their own stars ahead of next month’s double header against the seven-time African champions.

Oliseh disclosed his observation about the Pharaohs after he watched some Egypt match tapes.

“I have watched some tapes of Egypt. They are a result-oriented team who foul a lot in defence and midfield and depend on the speed of (Mohamed) Salah,” he said.

“But we’re Nigeria, we’re playing at home and we have our own stars.

“I saw the league match between Kano Pillars and Rangers and saw the capacity fans. If the Kaduna fans can be like that, they will be the 12th man to cheer the Eagles to victory. I’m optimistic.”

Egypt lead the qualifying group for the 2017 AFCON with six points from two matches, two points ahead of Nigeria with only the group winners guaranteed automatic qualification to the final tournament in Gabon.

Nigeria hohttp://mtnfootball.com/news/613730/Egypt-have-Salah-Nigeria-have-our-own-stars-too-Olisehst the Pharaohs on Friday, March 25 in Kaduna with the return match in Egypt two days later.

[/b]

1 Like

[b][size=14pt]
Emenike: More goals to come
Imhons Erons
[/size]
The Nigerian striker marked his first start for his new Club with a double as West Ham United slammed five goals past Blackburn Rovers at the Ewood Park and he has expressed his readiness to continue putting in such match-winning performances.

Emmanuel Emenike is ready to build on his two-goal display at Blackburn Rovers and fire West Ham United to more success over the closing three months of the season.

Fellow Nigerian Victor Moses scored the opener to level proceedings before a sumptuous Emenike brace sandwiched between a Dimitri Payet double helped the Hammers to a 5-1 victory and passage to the quarter-final stage of the Emirates Cup.

Emenike, who arrived on loan from Turkish side Fenerbahce in January, was delighted with the win. He said: “It’s a really special one for me that I played on Sunday and scored in the FA Cup. “I think we are good enough to go all the way. We work hard for each other and we have good players.

“I just want to say a big thank you to the fans for their support. “Last week was a tough week for me, because I missed a chance to give us three points, but thankfully I made up for it on Sunday and made the fans happy.

” Emenike might have had a hat-trick, had he not struck the post from close in late on, but he was delighted with the double. He added: “I’m not disappointed that I didn’t get a hat-trick, the most important thing is that I scored and more importantly the team won. I’ll have to wait for the hat-trick the next time! “I enjoyed it. It was a great game for the team and I’m happy.”
http://www.soccernet.com.ng/2016/02/emenike-more-goals-to-come.html
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:04pm On Feb 24, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Sunday Oliseh: Salah is Egypt’s best
By Mohamed Salah
[/size]

Nigeria national team manager Sunday Oliseh has singled out Mohamed Salah as Egypt’s top player ahead of his side’s back-to-back clashes with the Pharaohs.

The countdown to both matches is nearing its end, as the two teams will meet next month in the 2017 African Cup of Nations qualification stage.

“I have watched some tapes of Egypt, they are a result-oriented team who foul a lot in defence and midfield and depend on the speed of Mohamed Salah,” stated Sunday Oliseh.

“But we’re Nigeria, we’re playing at home and we have our own stars,” Oliseh added.

The Nigerian also hailed his team’s fans ahead of next month’s game, and admitted that he is optimistic.

Egypt currently top qualifying Group G with maximum points from the two matches played, ahead of Nigeria who have collected four points.

Only group winners are guaranteed passage to the 2017 AFCON finals in Gabon.

Egypt visit Nigeria on the 25th of March in Kaduna, with the return fixture set on the 29th, in Egypt.
http://www.kingfut.com/2016/02/24/sunday-oliseh-salah-egypts-best/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:15pm On Feb 24, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Ahmed Dweidar out, Al Masry’s Mohammed Magdy invited for Nigeria qualifier
[/size]

By Shina Oludare

The Boss of the Canal’s defender has been called in as replacement for the injured Zamalek player ahead next month’s Afcon qualifier against Sunday Oliseh's men.

Egypt coach Hector Cuper has invited Al Masry defender Mohammed Magdy for March’s Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Nigeria after Ahmed Dweidar pulled out owing to injury.

Zamalek’s Dweidar withdrew from the Pharaohs’ camp after national team doctors confirmed he will not be fit enough to feature against Burkina Faso and the Super Eagles.

22-year-old Magdy showed his class against Al Ahly by scoring his side’s second goal from the penalty spot. The player who was called up to previous friendlies against Libya and Jordan joins goalkeeper Essam El-Hadary as preparations continue for Saturday’s international friendly against Burkina Faso.

Egypt top G of the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier with six points from two games, and would be seeking for a positive result in Kaduna – which will boost their chances of reaching Gabon having missed out of the last three editions.
http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4687/africa-cup-of-nations-2017/2016/02/24/20666892/ahmed-dweidar-out-al-masrys-mohammed-magdy-invited-for?ICID=HP_HN_HP_RI_1_3
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:15pm On Feb 24, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Ighalo & Mikel could make Olympics squad - Siasia
[/size]
[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/goal_uk/2a/88/europes-real-mvps-odion-ighalo-watford_jqok1dcaa6bl1c4vwmb6090m0.jpg?t=-298364383&w=620&h=430[/img]

By Samuel Ahmadu

The Watford forward and the Chelsea midfielder are being considered for Rio 2016 by the Dream Team VI gaffer following their recent run of form

Nigeria U23 coach Samson Siasia has announced Watford striker Odion Ighalo will be one of Nigeria's three approved over age players at the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro later this year.

Ighalo, who featured for the country at the 2009 FIFA U20 World Cup and made his debut for the senior national team in 2015, is yet to state his intentions to represent the country at the Olympics in Rio.

"I won’t shift focus and I don’t want to get tired of what I am doing. I will keep on working hard for both the Eagles and my club hoping that next year would be more profitable and exciting than 2015," Ighalo told Goal.

The 26-year-old who was recently voted Goal Nigeria player of the Year 2015 and named Premier League Player of the Month for December has scored 15 goals for the Hornets in the 2015/2016 season.

The former Super Eagles gaffer stated that he opted for Ighalo seeing his impressive goalscoring form and amazing personality.

“We need him to score goals for us. Odion is the only Super Eagles player playing and scoring goals in the Premiership," Siasia told media in Abuja.

"Everybody is looking at him and he is a good boy, gentle and disciplined. I can tell you that if he is in good shape when we want to go to the tournament, he will of course be one of the players we want to pick. We need somebody like him to score for us.”

The Dream Team VI trainer further noted that he is undecided over who to pick for the remaining overage players slot citing state of form but has handed Chelsea midfielder John Mikel Obi a lifeline.

“I have some players I am thinking about but the truth is that since the tournament is still six months away, we have to be cautious because the form of the players would be a factor.

"We cannot pick players who are in form now only for them to lose form in August.

“As for Mikel, if he shows serious interest in being at the games, then I will go into frank talks with him,” he concluded.
http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/11252/nigeria-u23/2016/02/24/20658742/ighalo-mikel-could-make-olympics-squad-siasia?ICID=HP_HN_3
[/b]

1 Like

[b][size=14pt]
'I hope we beat Nigeria' - Hector Cuper
[/size]

By Shina Oludare

The Pharaohs’ head coach has his sights set on caging the Super Eagles, claiming he would to call up fresh legs for the Kaduna showdown
Egypt national team coach is hoping to defeat Nigeria when both sides meet at the Ahmadu Bello Stadium in March.

The seven-time African champions who have missed the last three editions of the biennial African football showpiece top Group G with six points from two games.

Before the crunch tie billed for Kaduna, the north Africans will face Burkina Faso billed for Saturday.

Speaking in a press conference ahead of the Stallions’ encounter, the Argentine tactician is will be hoping to use the game against the 2013 African Cup of Nations runners to test some players in the Egyptian league.

“I am happy to meet with the players again in order to explain my thoughts and therefore increase the harmony between them and the coaching staff,” Cuper said.

“Burkina Faso’s game will prepare us well for the Nigeria clash in the Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers, despite not having our players abroad, this is a good chance to test our local league’s best players,” he added.

Cuper then revealed the possibility of new players joining the camp ahead of Nigeria’s clash claiming he is not moved by the inconsistency of Al Ahly and Zamalek.

“The exclusion of some players from this training camp, doesn’t mean they won’t be called up for Nigeria’s clash,” he continued.

“They just have to work harder and prove their worth. Therefore new players might get called up for Nigeria training camp.

“I’m not worried by Al Ahly and Zamalek’s inconsistent form; this is the time for new teams and players to shine.

“I hope we beat Nigeria or at least maintain the two-point difference between us, in order to qualify to the African Cup of Nations,” he concluded.
http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4687/africa-cup-of-nations-2017/2016/02/24/20669932/i-hope-we-beat-nigeria-hector-cuper?ICID=AR_FS_3
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:24pm On Feb 24, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Gaziantepspor Play Hardball Over Sale Of John Chibuike To Beijing Guoan
[/size]

Chinese Super League club Beijing Guoan continue to thrash out terms with Gaziantepspor over the signing of John Chibuike, the attacking midfielder has informed allnigeriasoccer.com.

But Gaziantepspor have played hardball during negotiations, with the Turkish Super Lig side demanding a transfer fee in excess of three million euros before they shred their contract with Chibuike.

“It is not clear yet if I’ll join Beijing Guoan, the two clubs are still negotiating,”John Chibuike told allnigeriasoccer.com.

“For now, I don’t know how much they are willing to sell me, I know the Chinese team want to pay 3 million euros but I don’t know how much my team want.”

In 20 outings for Gaziantepspor in the ongoing season, John Chibuike has found the net 5 times ( 3 assists).

The former BK Hacken and Rosenborg star was courted by teams based in Turkey and Saudi Arabia in the summer transfer market.
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18022
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 8:06pm On Feb 24, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Wilshere Thrilled By Iwobi’s Progress At Arsenal
[/size]
Jack Wilshere has described Alex Iwobi as the most outstanding among Arsenal youth players.

Iwobi was promoted to the Arsenal first team after impressing in the youth team and also during pre-season.

The 19-year-old has made four English Premier League appearances as well as in the FA Cup and Capital One Cup this season.

According to arsenal.com, Wilshere, who is yet to kick a ball this season, told Arsenal Weekly podcast that he was impressed with the hard work Iwobi puts in during training.

“Sometimes it’s hard for them to ask because they might be a little bit shy. They don’t really ask you but you feel as though you have a responsibility because you’re there, you’ve been there and you know what they’ve been through.

“They’re coming into a dressing room with the likes of Mesut Ozil and Alexis who are big players, so that can be scary for a young player, but Alex (Iwobi) is a good kid off the pitch. He wants to learn, he’s got the right attitude, puts in the right work in training and when he gets game time he has shown the fans what he can do.

“I don’t like to call it mentoring because Alex is 19, so he’s not a kid, but I know what it’s like for him because I’ve been there. You almost feel a little bit of responsibility, not to mentor him, but to steer him in the right direction.

“When I first came in, players like Cesc and Samir Nasri were great with me. They put their arm around me and told me how to act. If I didn’t play then I would be upset, but they would tell me that I was young and that I would play in the end. I look back to then and, if I can be like they were for Alex, then I will do that.

“There are a few I have been impressed with in the youth team, but Alex is leading the way now.

It’s probably six or seven years since I made the step and, apart from me, nobody has come up from the under-9s to make it into the first team. You’re seeing now that another one has done it and that will give the young lads confidence.”
www.completesportsnigeria.com/wilshere-thrilled-by-iwobis-progress-at-arsenal/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 8:15pm On Feb 24, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
REVEALED: Yobo Turned Down Lucrative China Move
[/size]
By Adeboye Amosu:
Former Super Eagles captain, Joseph Yobo, recently turned down a move to a Chinese side, Comple tesportsnigeria.com can report.

Comple tesportsnigeria.com scooped from a reliable source close to the former Everton defender that an unnamed Chinese side were keen on signing the now retired centre-back on a year deal, but he turned down the offer due to the long distance between Nigeria and the Asian country.

"A top club in China were keen on signing Joe (Yobo) recently, but he turned down the offer because of distance," the source informed Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

"The offer was a lucrative one and it was just for a year.

"He was not particularly keen on making the long journey from Nigeria to China and that was the main reason he turned down the offer."

Yobo who was capped 100 times by Nigeria had stints with clubs in Belgium, Spain, France, England and Turkey.

He last featured for Norwich City in the English Premier League.
A testimonial game in his honour, put together by the Joseph Yobo Foundation and Rivers State Government, will hold in Port Harcourt in May.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/revealed-yobo-turned-down-lucrative-china-move/
[/b]
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 8:29pm On Feb 24, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Wolves Pip Pillars As MFM Go Top, Chikatara Scores
[/size]
By Adeboye Amosu:
Warri Wolves beat Kano Pillars 1-0 on Wednesday at the Warri City Stadium to secure their first maximum points of the season.

Kelvin Itoya scored the winner in added time to break the hearts of the visitors who gave their all in the closely fought encounter.
In Makurdi, Anthony Okpotu scored a brace as Lobi Stars defeated Sunshine Stars 2-1.
The forward opened scoring for his side in the 13th minute, with Emmanuel Sunday grabbing the equaliser for the visitors in the 68th minute.
Okpotu restored the hosts' lead two minutes later when he scored the winner.
League new boys, MFM FC of Lagos, beat Rivers United 2-1 at the Agege Stadium to make it two wins out of two in their opening two games in the top flight.
MFM are now on top of the NPFL table with Lobi Stars.
The Olukoya Boys dominated proceedings in the early part of the game and got the reward for their efforts when Ifeanyi Ifeanyi converted from the spot in the 18th minute.
Sikiru Olatunbosun doubled their lead six minutes later, while Fredrick Obomate in the 57th minute pulled one back for Rivers United, his second of the campaign.
Chisom Chikatara opened his goals account for the season as 10-man Abia Warriors secured a hard fought 2-1 home win against El-Kanemi Warriors.
The forward got the curtain raiser early in the game before Mustapha Ibrahim equalised for the away side.
Olaha however grabbed the winner late in the game.
Read Also: Wenger: Cech, Arsenal Defence Can Stop Messi, Suarez, Neymar
At the Nnamdi Azikwe Stadium, Rangers rallied from a goal down to beat Plateau United 3-1.
Kim John put Plateau United ahead as early as the eighth minute, with three second-half goals by Togaba Komlan, Nnamdi Anyasodo and Chisom Egbuchulum ensuring that Rangers picked their first win of the season.
Niger Tornadoes and Giwa FC settled for a draw in Minna. Lukman Mohammed gave Tornadoes the lead on the stroke of half time.
David Sunday banged in the leveller 25 minutes from time.
There was no victor, no vanquished in Bauchi as Wikki Tourists and Heartland ended their game in a barren draw.
WEEK TWO RESULTS
Lobi Stars 2 V 1 Sunshine Stars
MFM FC 2 V 1 Rivers United
Abia W. 2 V 1 El-kanemi
Rangers 3 V 1 Plateau United
Tornadoes 1 V 1 Giwa FC
Warri W. 1 V 0 Kano Pillars
Wikki 0 V 0 Heartland
www.completesportsnigeria.com/wolves-pip-pillars-as-mfm-go-top-chikatara-scores/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 8:54pm On Feb 24, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Ugbade, Taiwo Back Iheanacho To Propel City Over Dynamo Kiev
[/size]
By Izuchukwu Okosi:
Former Super Eagles left-backs Nduka Ugbade and Taye Taiwo believe Kelechi Iheanacho’s Manchester City and Atletico Madrid have the edge over their UEFA Champions League opponents in Wednesday night’s first legs of their Round of 16 ties.

City are in Kiev, Ukraine, to face Dynamo Kiev with Iheanacho expected to feature after being included in the English club’s Champions League squad for the knockout rounds.

Atletico Madrid will be guests of Dutch side, PSV Eindhoven.
Comple tesportsnigeria.com spoke to the former Nigerian internationals as all four teams build up to the Wednesday night matches.

“Technically Manchester City are far superior to Dynamo Kiev,” Ugbade said. “I expect City to win that game but the problem they will face is the very cold weather conditions in Kiev.

“The decision of Manuel Pellegrini to rest a lot of his first team players for this game was a wise one if you ask me.

“A lot of people have commented negatively on that but Chelsea who they played against in the FA Cup on Sunday are a very defensive and physical side, so it would not be smart to expose the players to injuries.

“As for the PSV-Atletico game, we know that Atletico have become a strong force in Spanish and European football although PSV will not be an easy game for them because Dutch football is equally technical.

“Atletico however are a more compact team, their possession football and distribution will be key. I expect a victory for the Spanish side or at least a draw.”

HJK Helsinki defender Taye Taiwo told Completesportsnigeria.com he expects Iheanacho, who has been in very good scoring form, to shine in the City game against the team he (Taiwo) once played for on loan.

“Manchester City will be too much for Dynamo Kiev,” Taiwo said. “I played for Kiev and they are a team that thrive on team play but we are talking about a City team with world class players like Sergio Aguero, David Silva, Yaya Toure and so on. And of course Iheanacho.

“I am particularly happy that we have a Nigerian in such a quality side. I want to see Iheanacho play well for his club.”

Taiwo then bared his mind on the PSV-Atletico Madrid game:
“It is a match Atletico will possibly win based on the strength of both teams but you never know, in football anything can happen,” the former Gabros, Lobi Stars, QPR and Olympique Marseille star added.

The games will kick off 8.45pm Nigerian time.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/ugbade-taiwo-back-iheanacho-to-propel-city-over-dynamo-kiev/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by NLban: 9:04pm On Feb 24, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria International Friendlies Nigeria U23
NFF technical committee meet Friday without Oliseh
[/size]
[img]http://africanfootball.com/news/614130/NFF-technical-committee-meet-Friday-without-Oliseh[/img]
Nigeria coach Oliseh

The technical committee of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) are to meet in Abuja Friday morning, but without Super Eagles coach Sunday Oliseh in attendance.

Oliseh has said he will be in England this weekend to meet up with some of the country’s top stars in the Premier League like Mikel Obi of Chelsea, Watford striker Odion Ighalo as well as Victor Moses, who is on loan at West Ham from Chelsea.

The NFF had ordered Oliseh to Abuja on the same day to defend his call-ups for next month’s all-important AFCON qualifiers against Egypt.

However, an official disclosed that the committee are expected to deliberate on CHAN 2016 report, among other pressing technical matters affecting the various national teams.

Both the Nigeria U23 and U20 male teams are expected to shortly begin training camp ahead of major engagements.

The Olympic team are due to play a series of friendlies against Rio Olympics hosts Brazil next month, while the Flying Eagles will begin their qualifying campaign in May for the U20 AFCON in Zambia in 2017.
africanfootball.com/news/614130/NFF-technical-committee-meet-Friday-without-Oliseh
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:54pm On Feb 25, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Ighalo: I will score against Bournemouth
[/size]

Nigeria international Odion Ighalo has said he hopes to be back scoring goals for Watford, when they host Bournemouth on Saturday in a Premier League match.

The former Granada striker, who has scored 14 goals in the English top-flight league this season, has not scored since a 1-0 win at Nottingham Forest in a cup game on January 30.

He has not found the back of the net in the last five games in all competitions,

However, Bournemouth be warned because the striker has predicted he will be back scoring goals again on Saturday at home.

"The goals will start coming again by God Grace this weekend," Ighalo said.

But at the same time, Ighalo said the priority remains his club winning games.

"I am not under any form of pressure to score goals,” he said.

"As a striker, I always want to score goals but sometimes you don't get the goals.

“But as long my team keep winning, I am happy because that is the most important thing."

By Olusola Alao
http://africanfootball.com/news/614304/Ighalo-I-will-score-against-Bournemouth
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:54pm On Feb 25, 2016
[size=14pt]
Utaka fails to save Japanese club
[/size]

Utaka

Nigeria striker Peter Utaka failed to help his Japanese club Sanfrecce Hiroshima beat Chinese side Shandong Luneng in an Asian Champions League game.

Utaka, who played for the entire duration of the game on Tuesday, failed to score as his team lost 2-1 at home to the Chinese club.

The former OB Odense of Denmark hitman had earlier warned the unknown Chinese club could be dangerous.

He recently won the Japan Super Cup with Sanfrecce Hiroshima after they beat Gamba Osaka.
http://africanfootball.com/news/614286/Utaka-fails-to-save-Japanese-club
[b][size=14pt]
FIFA Elections: Nigeria to go with CAF
[/size]

NFF president Pinnick

Nigeria will most likely go along with CAF to vote Salman Al Khalifa on Friday in Switzerland as the next president of world football governing body FIFA.

Asia Football Confederation (AFC) president Salman is favourite in the presidential polls that also has UEFA general secretary Gianni Infantino, Prince Ali bin Al Hussein from Jordan, ex-FIFA chief Jerome Champagne and South Africa’s Tokyo Sexwale.

The top officials of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) have refused to make any public commitments or comments on how the association will vote at next week’s presidential polls.

However, some of them, who will not be identified, say they do not see the NFF going against the CAF decision to vote for Prince Salman of Bahrain.

NFF president Amaju Pinnick was very vocal and visible during the re-election of Sepp Blatter last May and in less than two years at the helm of Nigerian football, he has warmed his way to committees in both CAF and FIFA.

He has his eyes fixed on being more relevant internationally and as such he will "not want to rock the boat".

He has also cultivated a good personal relationship with acting FIFA president Issa Hayatou within a short time, and all these point to Nigeria going with CAF to vote Salman as the most powerful man in world football.
http://mtnfootball.com/news/614281/FIFA-Elections-Nigeria-to-go-with-CAF
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 2:13pm On Feb 25, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Uzochukwu Hungry For More Trophies In Denmark
[/size]

By Johnny Edward:

OB Odense midfielder, Izunna Uzochukwu, believes the extra work he and his teammates had in pre-season will pay dividends when they kick-start their Danish Premier League title defence at home to AGF Aarhus on Friday
,Completesportsnigeria.com reports

Izunna who was instrumental to Midtjylland's title success last season acknowledges that his experience will be handy for his new teammates as they aim to overhaul league leaders, Copenhagen, who are 11 points ahead.

The Nigeria international who signed a three and half year deal at the club in January told Completesportsnigeria.com that he foresees a bright start for the club in the League.

"The manager deserves a lot of credit for the work we do in pre-season. He gets everybody ready and sharp, and I'm in perfect condition and ready to give my best to the team," he began.

"I was very pleased with the way the team played in pre-season and I can tell you we are ready," Izunna adds.

"It's going to be tough winning the league, but we will go out there with the belief we can."

The former Amkar Perm star scored once in four pre-season game. for his new club.

Read more at http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/manchester-united-vs-arsenal-talk-big-win-your-clubs-jersey/#JzaKfBh6LsemLD1x.99
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 2:13pm On Feb 25, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria: Oliseh Shuns NFF Technical Committee
[/size
Super Eagles coach, Sunday Oliseh will not be meeting with Nigeria Football Federation technical committee, to defend his plans for the Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers against Egypt billed for March 25.

Oliseh has said he will be in England this weekend to meet up with some of the country's top stars in the Premier League like Mikel Obi of Chelsea, Watford striker Odion Ighalo as well as Victor Moses.

The NFF had ordered Oliseh to Abuja on the same day to defend his call-ups for next month's all-important AFCON qualifiers against Egypt.

However, an official disclosed that the committee are expected to deliberate on CHAN 2016 report, among other pressing technical matters affecting the various national teams.

Both the Nigeria U23 and U20 male teams are expected to shortly begin training camp ahead of major engagements.

The Olympic team are due to play a series of friendlies against Rio Olympics hosts Brazil next month, while the Flying Eagles will begin their qualifying campaign in May for the U20 AFCON in Zambia in 2017.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201602250937.html
[/b]
[b][size=14pt]
City Cruise At Dynamo Kyiv As Iheanacho Makes UCL Debut
[/size]

Yaya Toure bagged a brilliant third goal as Manchester City took a step closer to their first ever UEFA Champions League quarter-finals with a 3-1 win at Dynamo Kyiv on Wednesday in their round of 16 first-leg clash.

Nigerian youngster Kelechi Iheanacho also made his Champions League debut as a late substitute on a fine night for City.

Manuel Pellegrini introduced Iheanacho for Sergio Aguero in the 90th minute, a cameo role that didn't afford him room to make any significant contribution to Manchester City's overall performance. And that was Pellegrini's only substitution in the match.

Sergio Agüero reflected the dominance on the scoreboard on 15 minutes and, when David Silva doubled the lead before half-time, the hosts were up against it. They improved, and Vitaliy Buyalskiy's effort forced the door ajar before Touré slammed it shut.

The first half, though, was all City. Returning to action after 11 weeks off, Dynamo awoke from winter hibernation with heavy legs – by the time they were up and running they trailed 2-0. Agüero struck first, lashing in after Touré's knockdown from Silva's corner found him inexplicably unmarked.

Five minutes before the interval City were cruising when Agüero brought down a long pass and held off the defence before back-heeling into Raheem Sterling's stride. Sterling's cross gave Silva a tap-in. Moments later Agüero squandered a great chance to put the contest to bed when he screwed wide.

It was, perhaps, the shot in the arm Dynamo needed. Serhiy Rebrov's team were a renewed force after the restart. Buyalskiy halved the deficit before the hour, driving in a deflected shot after Nicolás Otamendi could only head clear to the edge of the box. The game opened up.

Joe Hart saved well to deny Buyalskiy a second, then Touré nodded wide with the goal at his mercy. With full time approaching he made amends after a slick Ciy move, looping the ball into the top-right corner.

In the other match on the night, 10-man PSV fought bravely to hold Atletico Madrid to a 0-0 draw in Eidhoven.

Read more at http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/city-cruise-at-dynamo-kyiv-as-iheanacho-makes-ucl-debut/#49d3Syp2iQF5xkrc.99
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 2:18pm On Feb 25, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Michael Odibe joins Romanian side Concordia Chiajina
[/size]

By Johnny Edward:

Romanian Premier League club CS Concordia Chiajna have completed the signing of Nigerian defender Michael Odibe on a two-year deal, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

The 27-year-old, who has won one international cap for Nigeria, could make his home debut on Sunday against Voluntarib, it was also gathered.

The former FC Atyrau defender said he is looking forward to teaming up with his new colleagues at the mid-table club.

"It's good to be part of the team and I'm sure I'll be able to play well together with them," Odide told Completesportsnigeria.

"I am humbled and happy to be here.

"The coach Adrian Falub said he sees me here for a long time and I also see myself here for a long time. I've not signed here to play for a couple of years and then move on."

Odibe began his career at Robur Siena in the Italian Serie A before joining Arsenal Kyiv in July 2011, where found his chances at FC Atyrau somewhat limited.

He has also played for Suditirol in the Lega Pro in Italy and Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk in Ukraine.

Read more at http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/michael-odibe-joins-romanian-side-concordia-chiajina/#qoV9rrs0M872IFsL.99
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 2:19pm On Feb 25, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Dosu: “I Didn’t Know About Golden Goal Until Kanu Scored One To Beat Brazil At Atlanta ’96”
[/size]

Former Super Eagles goalkeeper and Atlanta '96 Olympic football gold medalist, Joseph Dosu, speaks to Complete Sports' radio show, Sports Planet's anchorman, TUNDE KOIKI, reliving the glorious feat of Nigeria's U-23 team 20 years ago.

Sports Planet: Joseph Dosu (MON), it’s an honour and a pleasure finding time to talk to you again. 2016 will make it twenty years since you and your teammates climbed the podium in Atlanta and picked up the gold medal. Till date, that remains Nigeria’s greatest ever football achievement but first, let me even ask you, where is your gold medal?

Joseph Dosu: I have it in the bank and it’s an achievement which every one of us will never forget. It’s an achievement that has kept Nigeria going, likewise Africa. It is also an achievement that has kept our children and even the unborn ones going. And I think we made Nigeria proud, likewise Africa. Anytime my son comes home and remembers the Olympics, he is always proud of himself, talk less of me.

So, if we have left a legacy for Nigeria and Africa, we the actors should be happy. Twenty years, wow! That’s a long time. I would have wished other dream teams had achieved the same feat like the first Olympic team, but then, we’ve kept on struggling. We hope one day, they will surely achieve the same feat so that much of this interview will go away from us and they will be the current Olympic champions. However,all said and done, it has also opened a lot of doors for us that participated in the Atlanta '96 Olympic Games. It’s an honour to put on the green-white-green jersey. We’ve done our best and most of us have retired from playing football and I think we will keep going.

This was actually my next question. You are Joseph Dosu (MON), Olympic gold medalist. Very few Nigerians can ever claim to be Olympic gold medalists. What would you say that honour has done for your career as a person?

Well, I had a short career in football, but I tell you, for six or seven years that I played the game, I was blessed by God. Successfully, I played in the local league where I won both the league and FA Cup, put on the green-white-green jersey, played in the Africa Cup of Nations and World Cup qualifiers, won the Olympic gold medal, played in Europe as a professional.

It might have been a little time of playing football for me, but then, I achieved a lot. Winning the Olympic gold medal and having an Olympic tag was not just by our own making, it had been destined by God, for sure. We will get there. A lot of people want to go to the Olympic Games and say yes, I was there which is not a do or die affair when it comes to representing your country. When it comes to Olympic competition, if you should win a medal – be it gold, silver, bronze, I think you’ve done so well for yourself. Winning a gold medal is not an easy task, but then, we had the support of Nigerians behind us because when we were leaving, we were only tagged the dreamers and not the dream team.

Read more:-http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/dosu-i-didnt-know-about-golden-goal-until-kanu-scored-one-to-beat-brazil-at-atlanta-96/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BlackAlbino6(m): 2:23pm On Feb 25, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Super Eagles job awaits Amuneke if… –NFF
Posted By: Joel Ajayi
[/size]

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has again stated that newly appointed Flying Eagles handler, Emmanuel Amuneke, is well positioned to become the next Super Eagles coach should he engineer Nigeria’s U-20 male team to world cup final. Amuneke who led Nigeria’s team to win the FIFA U-17 World Cup in Chile in 2015 was last week elevated to handle the country’s junior side while his former boss, Manu Garba, was asked to return as Golden Eaglets coach.

Chairman of the NFF Technical and Development Committee, Chris Green, revealed that the federation expected the new Flying Eagles coaching crew to take Nigeria to a new stable on the global stage. Nigeria as Africa’s most populated nation is yet to win the FIFA U-20 World Cup despite coming close in 1989 and 2005.

“The various changes we have made or that is being made is to bring new innovations that will make our national teams, especially the senior ones return to winning ways,” Green told National Mirror. He, therefore, charged Amuneke to win the FIFA U-20 World Cup with the Flying Eagles and land the Super Eagles job, more so the NFF is having issues with Coach Sunday Oliseh.

The federation, at the end of its Executive Committee meeting on February 17, gave Oliseh a final warning, following the coach’s recent diatribe and utterances after Nigeria crashed out at the group stage at the 2016 CHAN hosted by Rwanda Green said Amuneke, a former Barcelona winger could make a strong claim for the Super Eagles job if he succeeded with the Flying Eagles next year.

“He has already won the FIFA U-17 World Cup and has now been taken up to the U-20s with his boys. And should he now deliver again, he could take over the U-23s or even the Super Eagles,” he added.
http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/super-eagles-job-awaits-amuneke-if-nff/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:50am On Feb 26, 2016
Good morning NL Sportslanders..... News of the day: OLISEH RESIGNS AS SUPER EAGLES COACH...

**it's all over the media**

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 7:33am On Feb 26, 2016
[b][size=14pt]BREAKING: Super Eagles Coach, Sunday Oliseh, resigns[/size]

Sunday Oliseh has resigned as the Head Coach of the Nigerian football national team, the Super Eagles, just over seven months after he was appointed.

Oliseh, who announced his resignation on Twitter, said he took the decision due to the inability of the Nigeria Football Federation, NFF, to honour the terms of his contract.

“Due to contract violations, lack of support, unpaid wages, benefits to my players, assistant coaches and myself, I resign as Super Eagles Chief Coach,” he tweeted.

He thanked Nigerians for the opportunity of serving as the coach of the team in a preceding tweet before announcing his resignation.

“I feel fortunate, blessed and eternally grateful for having the honour to play, captain and coach this great nation of ours, Nigeria.”
Oliseh, whose appointment was made with much fanfare by the NFF, soon started having problems with the executives of the federation over remuneration, match tactics and results.

His complaint about being owed was not well received by the NFF, which rather threatened to sanction him.

He also had challenges managing the players. An altercation between the coach and the team’s former captain and the country’s most capped goalkeeper, Vincent Enyeama, led to the goalie’s premature resignation from the team last October.

Apparently, the last straw for Oliseh was the woeful outing of the Super Eagles at the CHAN competition in Rwanda, where the team were eliminated in the first round.

Following widespread criticisms that greeted the team’s elimination, a Youtube video soon surfaced in which Oliseh lambasted his critics, referring to them as “insane”.

On Thursday, the NFF directed Oliseh to henceforth report to former coach and the NFF’s technical director, Amodu Shuaibu.

​The NFF is yet to respond to his resignation.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/199065-breaking-super-eagles-coach-sunday-oliseh-resigns.html[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:34am On Feb 26, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Good morning NL Sportslanders..... News of the day: OLISEH RESIGNS AS SUPER EAGLES COACH...

**it's all over the media**

Yes he posted it on twitter. I can't say i am surprised. The minister of sports had given him a strong backing and this is how he repays him.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:40am On Feb 26, 2016
It's very interesting how things turned out during Oliseh's short reign.

-14 games... 1 official loss. (2 losses overall if I add the DR congo game).
-Enyeama retired via Instagram. (I expect him to be back under the new coach if he's still wanted)
-Emenike retired via instagram.
-Oliseh released a you-tube rant.
-Oliseh apologises.
-Oliseh resigns via twitter although he's said to have addressed official letters to the NFF president, Gen.secretary and the 2 vice presidents.

**Short crazy tenure**

BascoVanVeli:

Yes he posted it on twitter. I can't say i am surprised. The minister of sports had given him a strong backing and this is how he repays him.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Icon4s(m): 9:56am On Feb 26, 2016
BlackAlbino6:
[b][size=14pt]
Dosu: “I Didn’t Know About Golden Goal Until Kanu Scored One To Beat Brazil At Atlanta ’96”
[/size]

Former Super Eagles goalkeeper and Atlanta '96 Olympic football gold medalist, Joseph Dosu, speaks to Complete Sports' radio show, Sports Planet's anchorman, TUNDE KOIKI, reliving the glorious feat of Nigeria's U-23 team 20 years ago.

Sports Planet: Joseph Dosu (MON), it’s an honour and a pleasure finding time to talk to you again. 2016 will make it twenty years since you and your teammates climbed the podium in Atlanta and picked up the gold medal. Till date, that remains Nigeria’s greatest ever football achievement but first, let me even ask you, where is your gold medal?

Joseph Dosu: I have it in the bank and it’s an achievement which every one of us will never forget. It’s an achievement that has kept Nigeria going, likewise Africa. It is also an achievement that has kept our children and even the unborn ones going. And I think we made Nigeria proud, likewise Africa. Anytime my son comes home and remembers the Olympics, he is always proud of himself, talk less of me.

So, if we have left a legacy for Nigeria and Africa, we the actors should be happy. Twenty years, wow! That’s a long time. I would have wished other dream teams had achieved the same feat like the first Olympic team, but then, we’ve kept on struggling. We hope one day, they will surely achieve the same feat so that much of this interview will go away from us and they will be the current Olympic champions. However,all said and done, it has also opened a lot of doors for us that participated in the Atlanta '96 Olympic Games. It’s an honour to put on the green-white-green jersey. We’ve done our best and most of us have retired from playing football and I think we will keep going.

This was actually my next question. You are Joseph Dosu (MON), Olympic gold medalist. Very few Nigerians can ever claim to be Olympic gold medalists. What would you say that honour has done for your career as a person?

Well, I had a short career in football, but I tell you, for six or seven years that I played the game, I was blessed by God. Successfully, I played in the local league where I won both the league and FA Cup, put on the green-white-green jersey, played in the Africa Cup of Nations and World Cup qualifiers, won the Olympic gold medal, played in Europe as a professional.

It might have been a little time of playing football for me, but then, I achieved a lot. Winning the Olympic gold medal and having an Olympic tag was not just by our own making, it had been destined by God, for sure. We will get there. A lot of people want to go to the Olympic Games and say yes, I was there which is not a do or die affair when it comes to representing your country. When it comes to Olympic competition, if you should win a medal – be it gold, silver, bronze, I think you’ve done so well for yourself. Winning a gold medal is not an easy task, but then, we had the support of Nigerians behind us because when we were leaving, we were only tagged the dreamers and not the dream team.

Read more:-http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/dosu-i-didnt-know-about-golden-goal-until-kanu-scored-one-to-beat-brazil-at-atlanta-96/
[/b]

See the Oliseh sef dancing in that pix. Good riddance! angry

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) ... (161) (Reply)

Difference Btw Handicap 0:1 And Handicap 1:0 / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.