Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,625 members, 7,816,573 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:19 PM

Should We Continue To Pay Tithe In Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should We Continue To Pay Tithe In Church (1409 Views)

"N42million Tithe In Benue Is Chicken Feed" - Bishop Kukah / Should I Only Pay Tithe In Church? / Woman Pledges Daughter As Tithe In Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should We Continue To Pay Tithe In Church by crunchyg: 12:29pm On May 17, 2015
Today is Sunday and we all know that every church is talking about pay your tithe, pay your tithe, but from my own understanding, I think paying of tithe was meant for the people of the old testament and I ask, why are we still paying tithe, because I don't think I have seen where it was mentioned in the new testament to do so.
Please if you know where we were told to pay tithe in the new testament please tell the house, or if you are of the opinion that we should continue paying tithe in this new testament time, please your humble opinion is welcomed.
Cc:Lalasticlala
Re: Should We Continue To Pay Tithe In Church by Raysly(m): 12:36pm On May 17, 2015
Confusion in church since 2000 years ago tongue

1 Like

Re: Should We Continue To Pay Tithe In Church by AndreRose(f): 1:08pm On May 17, 2015
This is what happens when one is broke.
You don't need the new testament or your pastor to tell you what to do for God. Serve your God with a cheerful heart and do what is pleasing in his sight. And giving offering to him is not an exception(tithe). So if you(op) feel paying tithe is not the best or not stated in the new testament, you desist. And again, while paying your tithe don't allow your medulla to register it as what you give to the pastor but as what you are giving to God.
Am sure you are waiting for the new testament to equally tell you when, how, and where to go to church and worship God.
Re: Should We Continue To Pay Tithe In Church by crunchyg: 1:24pm On May 17, 2015
AndreRose:
This is what happens when one is broke.
You don't need the new testament or your pastor to tell you what to do for God. Serve your God with a cheerful heart and do what is pleasing in his sight. So if you feel paying tithe is not the best you desist. And again, while paying your tithe don't allow your medulla to register it as what you give to the pastor but as what you are giving to God.
Am sure you are waiting for the new testament to equally tell you when, how, and where to go to church and worship God.
Madam what you just said is far from the context of what is up, read well and give a clear judgment of what you are trying to say
Re: Should We Continue To Pay Tithe In Church by AndreRose(f): 1:34pm On May 17, 2015
crunchyg:

Madam what you just said is far from the context of what is up, read well and give a clear judgment of what you are trying to say
All am trying to say is that even if the new testament didn't say that (of which it did), paying tithe symbolises an offering to God. Sew and you shall reap. Go through 2 Corinthians 9: 6,7.
Luke 18: 9-14.
I can give you more scriptures if you want.
Re: Should We Continue To Pay Tithe In Church by Nobody: 1:47pm On May 17, 2015
In Oritse Femi 's voice " If you are new in the game, make you go pay your tithe"
Re: Should We Continue To Pay Tithe In Church by crunchyg: 2:08pm On May 17, 2015
AndreRose:

All am trying to say is that even if the new testament didn't say that (of which it did), paying tithe symbolises an offering to God. Sew and you shall reap. Go through 2 Corinthians 9: 6,7.
Luke 18: 9-14.
I can give you more scriptures if you want.
What I am trying to say is that tithe in particular which is one tenth of your income, can't see it in the new testament. I wasn't talking about offering, we all know that we are supposed to give offering to God with a cheerful heart but what I mentioned here is tithe (one tenth of your income) so try and get me right
Re: Should We Continue To Pay Tithe In Church by AndreRose(f): 4:52pm On May 17, 2015
crunchyg:

What I am trying to say is that tithe in particular which is one tenth of your income, can't see it in the new testament. I wasn't talking about offering, we all know that we are supposed to give offering to God with a cheerful heart but what I mentioned here is tithe (one tenth of your income) so try and get me right
Are you sure you read those scriptures I scribbled there?
Tithe can be equated as an offering to God.
Again, read LUKE 18 vs 12 before you mention me again.
Re: Should We Continue To Pay Tithe In Church by Imokay: 4:08am On May 18, 2015
Tithing law is not applicable to Christians redeemed with the blood of the lamb, they are free from all such Jewish laws including laws governing circumcision, type of food (you enjoy eating snail? you are sinning), mixed farming, mixed textile (70% Polyester, 30% cotton is forbidden to Jews!), slavery laws, law of war spoils sharing, killing wayward children, rape laws, blood sacrifice and yes tithing law.

Christians who choose to remain in bondage according to Galatians 5 to Jewish laws are also free, we can only pray for them to be liberated. There is nothing like giving to God, 'He is not a beggar and doesn't need your money to accomplish his aim. You are only called to give to worthy human causes and needs as purposed in your heart and it can count as giving to God. You are not tied to any percentage, 0% - 100% of your money is acceptable as far as your other responsibilities are not neglected including paying government taxes and school fees. If you have money and can't spare part of it, no need to feel guilty as the tithe advocates want you to feel, you can give your time or other material to worthy causes, it is acceptable.

If you decide to give 1%, 5%, 10%, 20% or more of your income to your church on regular basis you are free, just be sure it is a cause you consider worthy, it is your personal decision not due to pressure from anyone or misinterpreted scripture. Do not expect any special favour or status or Brownie points from God or anyone because you do this. It will not insulate you from the cares or worries or tragedy of living. Only charlatans will promise you this protection if you pay 'tithe' they are only after the bottomline, lining their own pockets.

1 Like

Re: Should We Continue To Pay Tithe In Church by Imokay: 7:30pm On May 21, 2015
Are you still paying 'tithes'' ? sorry you have fallen from grace and remain in bondage because the coming and death of Christ has benefited you nothing.
Re: Should We Continue To Pay Tithe In Church by EE1067: 7:57pm On May 21, 2015
AndreRose:

Are you sure you read those scriptures I scribbled there?
Tithe can be equated as an offering to God.
Again, read LUKE 18 vs 12 before you mention me again.

Can you honestly say that anyone gave a tithe of money or income both in the Old and New Testament? If you cannot, you must agree with the OP that tithing, as practiced today, is not biblical.
Re: Should We Continue To Pay Tithe In Church by EE1067: 7:59pm On May 21, 2015
crunchyg:
Today is Sunday and we all know that every church is talking about pay your tithe, pay your tithe, but from my own understanding, I think paying of tithe was meant for the people of the old testament and I ask, why are we still paying tithe, because I don't think I have seen where it was mentioned in the new testament to do so.y
Please if you know where we were told to pay tithe in the new testament please tell the house, or if you are of the opinion that we should continue paying tithe in this new testament time, please your humble opinion is welcomed.
Cc:Lalasticlala

Tithing is not a NT practice.
Re: Should We Continue To Pay Tithe In Church by adexsimply(m): 8:10pm On May 21, 2015
Yes o! How will your MOGs fuel their jets ?
Re: Should We Continue To Pay Tithe In Church by Nobody: 8:44pm On May 21, 2015
Imokay:
Tithing law is not applicable to Christians redeemed with the blood of the lamb, they are free from all such Jewish laws including laws governing circumcision, type of food (you enjoy eating snail? you are sinning), mixed farming, mixed textile (70% Polyester, 30% cotton is forbidden to Jews!), slavery laws, law of war spoils sharing, killing wayward children, rape laws, blood sacrifice and yes tithing law.

Christians who choose to remain in bondage according to Galatians 5 to Jewish laws are also free, we can only pray for them to be liberated. There is nothing like giving to God, 'He is not a beggar and doesn't need your money to accomplish his aim. You are only called to give to worthy human causes and needs as purposed in your heart and it can count as giving to God. You are not tied to any percentage, 0% - 100% of your money is acceptable as far as your other responsibilities are not neglected including paying government taxes and school fees. If you have money and can't spare part of it, no need to feel guilty as the tithe advocates want you to feel, you can give your time or other material to worthy causes, it is acceptable.

If you decide to give 1%, 5%, 10%, 20% or more of your income to your church on regular basis you are free, just be sure it is a cause you consider worthy, it is your personal decision not due to pressure from anyone or misinterpreted scripture. Do not expect any special favour or status or Brownie points from God or anyone because you do this. It will not insulate you from the cares or worries or tragedy of living. Only charlatans will promise you this protection if you pay 'tithe' they are only after the bottomline, lining their own pockets.

Let your pastor hear you.
Re: Should We Continue To Pay Tithe In Church by openmine(m): 1:55am On May 22, 2015
i have been asking this question to tithe payers..where is it stated in the bible that "tithe is 10% of one's income"?....i am yet to receive an answer!
@Op...once that question is asked,they run to Genesis 14 and say "tithes predated the law"..... grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Should We Continue To Pay Tithe In Church by Imokay: 10:53am On May 22, 2015
Abuamam:

Let your pastor hear you.

And will he dip hands in my pocket?
Re: Should We Continue To Pay Tithe In Church by Orunto: 3:30pm On May 22, 2015
In addition to Churches, you can pay THITE to your father, mother and to the elderly of your choice.
Re: Should We Continue To Pay Tithe In Church by Imokay: 7:30am On May 23, 2015
Orunto:
In addition to Churches, you can pay THITE to your father, mother and to the elderly of your choice.

False whatever you choose to pay is not 'tithe' to a true Christian.

Even Jews no longer pay tithes, which one be Christian own?

(1) (Reply)

Preconditions For Heaven Volume 1 [section D] / Stop Celebrating Christmas, Its Idolatrous – Pastor Kumuyi Warns / Unbelievable! See Photos Of A Chicken With Two Horns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.