Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,631 members, 7,809,362 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:18 AM

Beware, This Is Scam! - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Beware, This Is Scam! (3640 Views)

Beware: This Is The New Approach Used By Fraudsters. / Beware!!! This Is The New Trend Of Hijacking Car / Ladies Beware, This Could Be The Latest Scam In Town (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beware, This Is Scam! by duxxmann(m): 2:15pm On Feb 10, 2009
Dear Interswitch Card Holder,

During our regularly scheduled account maintenance and verification procedures with affiliated banks(below), we have detected a slight error in your account information.

It might be due to either of the following reasons:

1. The recent change in your Personal Identification Number (PIN).
2. Multiple failed attempts at an Automated Teller Machine (ATM).
3. Inability to accurately verify your selected option of payment due to an internal error within our processors.

Please update and verify your information by clicking the link below:

https://webpay.interswitchng.com/webpay/

If your account information is not updated within 48 hours, your ability to access your account will be restricted.

Note: Card Number (printed on card issued by bank) and Pin are numeric. Refer to your Debit and/or Cash Cards.

Thank you for choosing, Interswitch.

* Affiliated Banks (GTBank, UBA, Skybank, BankPHB, Zenith Bank, Access Bank, InterContinental Bank, Diamond Bank, Stanbic IBTC Bank, Ecobank, Oceanic Bank, Afribank, Unity Bank, Wema Bank)

If you receive a mail like this, don't respond. It is a scam.
Re: Beware, This Is Scam! by Cristalz(f): 5:39pm On Feb 10, 2009
I got this email yesterday in my yahoo inbox. They actually put the Interswitch logo and everything.

People don't ever give out your ATM pin o,for whatever reason. Else you'll be sitting down at home at 2pm looking at your ATM card while getting sms alerts that 102k has been withdrawn from your account via ATM by you at 2pm. . .same day.
Re: Beware, This Is Scam! by RICHIEBOI1(m): 6:15pm On Feb 10, 2009
naija yahoo boys are at it again. shocked
Re: Beware, This Is Scam! by Nobody: 6:19pm On Feb 10, 2009
posted this in business

warning to GTB acct holders

i got this in my spam - and i don't have a GTB account. these fraudsters are getting better and better.be warned .

Dear Customers,

During our regularly scheduled account maintenance and verification procedures in the year 2009, we have detected a slight error in your account information.

This might be due to either of the following reasons:

1. A recent change in your personal information (i.e. change of address).
2. Submitting invalid information during the initial sign up process.
3. An inability to accurately verify your selected option of payment due to an internal error within our processors.

https://ibank.gtbplc.com/ibank2/login.aspx

If your account information is not updated within 48 hours then your ability to access your account will become restricted.

Note: Username (Account Number) and Password are numeric. Refer to your e-banking signup form.

Thank you for choosing, Guaranty Trust Bank.

* Please do not respond to this email as your reply will not be received.

Copyright © 1995-2009 Guaranty Trust Bank Plc . All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
Re: Beware, This Is Scam! by Feesha: 6:36pm On Feb 10, 2009
i got the GTbank msg myself. Thank God i just withdrew money that day from an ATM and i was sent an sms for the transaction. So i suspected the msg immediately i saw it. I decided to also spam them. I filled their form with WRONG INFORMATION. That should waste a little bit of their time.
Re: Beware, This Is Scam! by henry4uall(m): 6:38pm On Feb 10, 2009
BASTARDS!!!!
Double click the padlock on the status bar of your browser from the site, it will reveal to you they are fake.
Re: Beware, This Is Scam! by Raymond88(m): 7:27pm On Feb 10, 2009
I must confess that's a pretty convincing mail. These rats are getting smarter.
Re: Beware, This Is Scam! by Ndipe(m): 7:30pm On Feb 10, 2009
RICHIE BOI:

naija yahoo boys are at it again. shocked

Not just in Naija, but it's been around in the USA.
Re: Beware, This Is Scam! by MrCrackles(m): 7:31pm On Feb 10, 2009
This is some old scam type shit datz been played out in Europe and America

Not surprising it is has crept into Nigeria!

Scammers, if only all of you can be taken away to rot with lucifer in the most ferocious part of hell fire! If only
!!! angry
Re: Beware, This Is Scam! by dani1luv: 7:39pm On Feb 10, 2009
Ok Thanks
Re: Beware, This Is Scam! by agaba123(m): 7:44pm On Feb 10, 2009
Have been receiving such mails supposedly from NAtwest where as I don't have and never had an account with Natwest.
Not only in naija.
Every day na for the thief na one day monkey go ngo market e no go return.
Re: Beware, This Is Scam! by cvibe: 7:51pm On Feb 10, 2009
Bloody scammers!

I hope GTB is aware so they can take steps to shut the site down.
Re: Beware, This Is Scam! by ayobase(m): 7:52pm On Feb 10, 2009
these rats?
well it is a
Tom and Jerry version sha!!
Re: Beware, This Is Scam! by bawomolo(m): 7:59pm On Feb 10, 2009
it's called phishing.
Re: Beware, This Is Scam! by Angelalame: 9:25pm On Feb 10, 2009
I know I had a similar problem and fell for it. They stole a lot of money from my account but lucky someone spotted it. Too much :-( Ang xx

Are you on facebook? Are you a Nigerian? Do you want to support our actors in film industry?
Be a fan  http://en-gb.facebook.com/pages/Yemi-Ajibade/64573960179

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT FOR  NIGERIANS ON THE HOLLYWOOD MAP!
Re: Beware, This Is Scam! by blackweaver(m): 9:35pm On Feb 10, 2009
cvibe:

I hope GTB is aware so they can take steps to shut the site down.

I'm sure GTB is aware; i got the one of those mails a few days ago and was about to call customer care;
then i remembered that they (GTB) have been sending me emails warning about those kind of activities.
by the way does anyone notice that they do not put a phone number that you can call them on
Re: Beware, This Is Scam! by showbobo(m): 10:20pm On Feb 10, 2009
I dont think any normal human being in his/her right senses would fall for this cheap scam undecided lipsrsealed Its so lame
Re: Beware, This Is Scam! by Becomrrich: 10:33pm On Feb 10, 2009
So they do this scam in Nigeria too. Na wao
Re: Beware, This Is Scam! by ToToChoper: 10:58pm On Feb 10, 2009
The scam is very possible and it's perpertuated by another brand of "yahoo yahoo" fraudsters.

Usually emails of such content goes to the junk mail. However the idea is to lure in few wide-eyed, internet-crime naive,  old-school computer users.

I read these emails sometimes and I just laugh because some really do sound convincing.

Perhaps an email-tracker might be suggestive. Too much palava-----check all SPAM or DELETE.
Re: Beware, This Is Scam! by UNLEASHED(m): 11:30pm On Feb 10, 2009
hmm! child's play
Re: Beware, This Is Scam! by mrofficial(m): 11:59pm On Feb 10, 2009
[size=15pt]Only chumps and newbies will keep falling for those cheesy messages.
Every bank is aware. even without supplying your ATMs they walk into the bank and make local transfers.
They also have insiders.
Confused. angry

They will probably originate another message. One thing you should know is that, [/size][size=17pt]YOUR BANK WILL NEVER SEND YOU AN EMAIL SAYING YOU SHOULD CLICK ON A LINK TO CONFIRM OR RECTIFY ANYSH*T, NEITHER INTERSWITCH.[/size]
Re: Beware, This Is Scam! by virgie(f): 12:20am On Feb 11, 2009
These scammers are just terrible. Just last year, My Uncle fell for them hook line and sinker. He got a message from +0803 telling him that he won One Million Naira. He was told to send his ATM details to process the payments. No sooner had he sent his ATM details than he realised his errors. when he rushed to the bank, the deed had already been done! just within a space of 30 minutes, they cleared his account, how it was done, is still a mystery.

we have to be smarter than them, they come in different ways!
Re: Beware, This Is Scam! by mrofficial(m): 2:06am On Feb 11, 2009
[size=10pt]Ok, here we go. I opened my Gmail spam just now and i met this hoax message in it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Customer,
We at Interswitch Nigeria, have upgraded to serve our customers for a better and
secure atm service, against any fraudulent activities. Due to this recent upgrade,
some of our data was lost so you are requested to update your account information by
following the reference below.

Reference*
http://webpay.quickteller.interswitchng.com
Regards

Copyright © 2009 Interswitch Nigeria Ltd. All rights reserved.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Beware, This Is Scam! by oluwdashmi(f): 9:14am On Feb 11, 2009
Only chumps and newbies will keep falling for those cheesy messages.
Every bank is aware. even without supplying your ATMs they walk into the bank and make local transfers.
They also have insiders.
Confused. Angry

They will probably originate another message. One thing you should know is that, YOUR BANK WILL NEVER SEND YOU AN EMAIL SAYING YOU SHOULD CLICK ON A LINK TO CONFIRM OR RECTIFY ANYSH*T, NEITHER INTERSWITCH.

Thats true, so everyone should beware!!

I'm sure GTB is aware; i got the one of those mails a few days ago and was about to call customer care;
then i remembered that they (GTB) have been sending me emails warning about those kind of activities.
by the way does anyone notice that they do not put a phone number that you can call them on

It's true they don't put a number to call them. But they can start and some pple will still fall for them.
Re: Beware, This Is Scam! by frankogbu(m): 10:07am On Feb 11, 2009
Got both mails but trust na. Not the type that would jump at money not workd for even at a click of the button. Simply called a friend at Interswitch who WARNED me NEVER to mind such.

Anyway check their spelling of SKY (SKYE) BANK. FOOLISH FOOLS
Re: Beware, This Is Scam! by mogentle(m): 11:16am On Feb 11, 2009
Yahooze on Rampage embarassed embarassed
Re: Beware, This Is Scam! by PurestBoy(m): 11:50am On Feb 11, 2009
Thank God I've got no shishi in my account.
Re: Beware, This Is Scam! by tytylayor: 12:52pm On Feb 11, 2009
av been receiving d interswitch msg everyday for over two weeks nw, n as soon as i saw it, i knew dey r at it again, d GTB stuff i started receiving yesterday n i dnt av any acct wit GTB, so i sabi d msg too

mr.official:

[size=15pt][b]Only chumps and newbies will keep falling for those cheesy messages.
They also have insiders.
Confused. angry

u right
Re: Beware, This Is Scam! by calmguyj(m): 1:10pm On Feb 11, 2009
I lost huge sums to this smart guys in July last year due to a silly mistake I made giving out my ATM details. Ever since then I have been determined to battle this guys to the finish. Today I have been able to come across a site where you can track the email addresses or the domain sites they use in perpetrating their fraudulent acts:  http://www.joewein.de/

Yesterday they sent me the email below even though I'm not a customer with GTBank, I was able to track the email address used below and discovered it's a scam. I am still working on a research where you will be able to track their IP addresses and locations as well as the computer they are using.

We must fight together against these guys to bring sanity in our country.

On Tue, 2/10/09, Guaranty Trust Bank Plc <security@gtbplc.com> wrote:

Subject: Alerts:System Maintenance
   To:
   Date: Tuesday, February 10, 2009, 7:07 AM

Dear  Customers,

During our regularly scheduled account maintenance and verification procedures in the year 2009, we have detected a slight error in your account information.

This might be due to either of the following reasons:

1. A recent change in your personal information (i.e. change of address).
   2. Submitting invalid information during the initial sign up process.
   3. An inability to accurately verify your selected option of payment due to an internal error within our processors.

https://ibank.gtbplc.com/ibank2/login.aspx

If your account information is not updated within 48 hours then your ability to access your account will become restricted.

Note: Username (Account Number) and Password are numeric. Refer to your e-banking signup form.

Thank you for choosing, Guaranty Trust Bank.

* Please do not respond to this email as your reply will not be received.
Re: Beware, This Is Scam! by topkin(m): 1:22pm On Feb 11, 2009
I've got this mail before. I just knew it was scam. Pls guys, beware!
Re: Beware, This Is Scam! by cvibe: 1:25pm On Feb 11, 2009
If the GTB or Interswitch scam emails are originating from a seemingly genuine domain, something tells me it is an insider with access codes that is perpetrating the fraudulent acts.
Re: Beware, This Is Scam! by mafolayomi(f): 3:01pm On Feb 11, 2009
smiley. i get this message almost everyday

(1) (2) (Reply)

Update On Slay Queen Who Was Stripped Unclad And Tortured Over Missing Phone / Sea Lion Grabs A Young Girl And Drags Her Into The Water (Photos & Video) / A Notorious Cultist Influenced By Spartacus, Arrested In Ogun State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.