Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,976 members, 7,810,708 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:45 PM

Trust And Faith - Aren't They The Same Thing? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Trust And Faith - Aren't They The Same Thing? (1691 Views)

Demons, Angels, Vampires Etc // Extraterresterials, Aliens, Ufos - Same Thing! / Bishop David And Faith Oyedepo Laughing Heartily / Are Roman Catholicism And Christianity The Same Thing? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trust And Faith - Aren't They The Same Thing? by agwom(m): 7:33am On May 19, 2015
Trust and Faith - Aren't They The Same Thing?
Re: Trust And Faith - Aren't They The Same Thing? by write2obi(m): 7:54am On May 19, 2015
Nop they are not
Trust: is as a result of a proven track record
Faith: is the substance of things hoped for

Trust is faith in action! It is the manifestation of our faith in our thoughts and actions.
While faith says "He can...", trust says "He is... and I will think and act accordingly!"
Re: Trust And Faith - Aren't They The Same Thing? by davien(m): 8:03am On May 19, 2015
write2obi:
Nop they are not
Trust: is as a result of a proven track record
Faith: is the substance of things hoped for

Trust is faith in action! It is the manifestation of our faith in our thoughts and actions.
While faith says "He can...", trust says "He is... and I will think and act accordingly!"
Trust isn't faith in action, that's a lie.....you can't have a proven track record for that which is unproven or hoped for...
Re: Trust And Faith - Aren't They The Same Thing? by write2obi(m): 8:06am On May 19, 2015
davien:

Trust isn't faith in action, that's a lie.....you can't have a proven track record for that which is unproven or hoped for...
you are yet to give us your own definition yet you are countering mine undecided *smh for some peeps*
Re: Trust And Faith - Aren't They The Same Thing? by davien(m): 8:12am On May 19, 2015
write2obi:
you are yet to give us your own definition yet you are countering mine undecided *smh for some peeps*
Funny enough I'd rather shake my head for you.
My reply encompassed it and yet you couldn't comprehend it....I blame the Nigerian educational system. undecided

1 Like

Re: Trust And Faith - Aren't They The Same Thing? by AdeniyiA(m): 3:36pm On May 19, 2015
davien:

I sort of pick holes in your argument, maybe you're an atheist?
FAITH is climbing without seeing the staircase but TRUSTING God to upholding you from falling, now tell me how you wish to prove that or how it can be proved that God would uphold you.
Trying to explain the supernatural with the natural (human knowledge) is no longer faith but doubts.
God does not make sense with the senses of men.

cc write2obi, agwom
Re: Trust And Faith - Aren't They The Same Thing? by malaria(f): 9:20pm On May 19, 2015
Trust has seen and believed, faith has not seen and believed. Trust is physical, faith goes beyond that.
Re: Trust And Faith - Aren't They The Same Thing? by MuttleyLaff: 3:56am On May 20, 2015
cc write2obi, agwom, davien, AdeniyiA, malaria

Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding - Proverbs 3:5-6

Now faith is the conviction concerning those things that are in hope, as if it were these things in action,
and the revelation of those things that are unseen; - Hebrews 11:1

Just quoted scripture but without necessarily going religious,
it is obvious, that FAITH is a NOUN (i.e. a name or word for thing(s)) and TRUST is a VERB (i.e. an action or doing something)

Faith is that strong belief in something or someone without logical proof,
whilst trust is relying or depending on something or someone, based on the character or integrity.

Here is a story of a man who’s walking along a cliff at night time with a torch, who suddenly loses his balance and falls off.

As he was falling off, his whole life from cradle to present swiftly flashed through his mind
Alarmed that maybe this is it, thinking he is going to die, he from nowhere summoned some faith and mutterred:
"If there is a God, please save me"

As he was tumbling down the face of the cliff, suddenly he was able to grab and hold on to a ledge that miraculously appeared out of nowhere.
Catching his breath, he surprisedly said: "Skill! Phew!! Almost got done there"

The night is fast approachingly now getting cold and the man is still hanging on the ledge, tightly holding on to his dear life.
After a while in the pitch dark, and beginning to shiver from the cold, he decides to call for help so shouts out:
"Is there anybody out there who can help me?" but there is no answer.

Without getting any answers, he kept on calling out a few more times:
"Is there anybody out there who can help me?".

Then he remember how he got to the ledge, so he called out again but changed tactic and said:
"God, if you are out there please can you help me and tell me what to do"

In a blink of an eye, a clear and distinct voice calls back:
"This is God. I can help you, just like I did before and always do. Just let go and TRUST."

but the man ignoring the voice and refusing to let go, screamed back "Is there anybody else up there who can help me?"

In the morning, when the search party looking for the man finally found and caught up with him, they met him stone cold dead
He had died of hypothermia caused by prolonged exposure to the cold temperatures of the night
What baffled the search team was that the man was hanging fives inches off the ground.
Why didnt he jump they wondered. They were amazed he could have jumped free instead of stewpidly clinging on the ledge like that

Trust is a verb, it is the noun, faith, in action.
Trust is the manifestation of faith in our thoughts and actions.

Faith asserts, it is behaving or speaking in a confident and forceful manner
whereas trust actualises, it is turning into action, reality or a fact

While faith says "God can...", trust says "God is able to... and so I will do or act accordingly"

Faith is useless without trust. It is far easier to have faith in God, but it is a lot harder to exercise trust in God
The man in the story above had faith but couldnt handle trust, couldnt trust God's word or advice would save him
Re: Trust And Faith - Aren't They The Same Thing? by AdeniyiA(m): 5:47am On May 20, 2015
malaria:
Trust has seen and believed, faith has not seen and believed. Trust is physical, faith goes beyond that.
in other words, we TRUST God because of what He has done(seen or heard of) and we have FAITH that He will do it again.(unseen) ?
Re: Trust And Faith - Aren't They The Same Thing? by davien(m): 7:56am On May 20, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
cc write2obi, agwom, davien, AdeniyiA, malaria

Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding - Proverbs 3:5-6

Now faith is the conviction concerning those things that are in hope, as if it were these things in action,
and the revelation of those things that are unseen; - Hebrews 11:1

Just quoted scripture but without necessarily going religious,
it is obvious, that FAITH is a NOUN (i.e. a name or word for thing(s)) and TRUST is a VERB (i.e. an action or doing something)

whilst trust is relying or depending on something or someone, based on the character or integrity.

Here is a story of a man who’s walking along a cliff at night time with a torch, who suddenly loses his balance and falls off.

As he was falling off, his whole life from cradle to present swiftly flashed through his mind
Alarmed that maybe this is it, thinking he is going to die, he from nowhere summoned some faith and mutterred:
"If there is a God, please save me"

As he was tumbling down the face of the cliff, suddenly he was able to grab and hold on to a ledge that miraculously appeared out of nowhere.
Catching his breath, he surprisedly said: "Skill! Phew!! Almost got done there"

The night is fast approachingly now getting cold and the man is still hanging on the ledge, tightly holding on to his dear life.
After a while in the pitch dark, and beginning to shiver from the cold, he decides to call for help so shouts out:
"Is there anybody out there who can help me?" but there is no answer.

Without getting any answers, he kept on calling out a few more times:
"Is there anybody out there who can help me?".

Then he remember how he got to the ledge, so he called out again but changed tactic and said:
"God, if you are out there please can you help me and tell me what to do"

In a blink of an eye, a clear and distinct voice calls back:
"This is God. I can help you, just like I did before and always do. Just let go and TRUST."

but the man ignoring the voice and refusing to let go, screamed back "Is there anybody else up there who can help me?"

In the morning, when the search party looking for the man finally found and caught up with him, they met him stone cold dead
He had died of hypothermia caused by prolonged exposure to the cold temperatures of the night
What baffled the search team was that the man was hanging fives inches off the ground.
Why didnt he jump they wondered. They were amazed he could have jumped free instead of stewpidly clinging on the ledge like that

Trust is a verb, it is the noun, faith, in action.
Trust is the manifestation of faith in our thoughts and actions.

Faith asserts, it is behaving or speaking in a confident and forceful manner
whereas trust actualises, it is turning into action, reality or a fact

While faith says "God can...", trust says "God is able to... and so I will do or act accordingly"

Faith is useless without trust. It is far easier to have faith in God, but it is a lot harder to exercise trust in God
The man in the story above had faith but couldnt handle trust, couldnt trust God's word or advice would save him
You so desperately want to vindicate your belief that you resort to lying....
Faith has many definitions all used for different concepts...
Faith in "god/gods" is a belief or strong conviction held without evidence...
Trust is a firm conviction held due to a proven track record....
All religions have faith...not trust, because no matter your affirmation to believe that your faith would give you the answers you desire, any answers gotten are accepted(even those against your wishes I.e the death of a loved one,etc ) because you don't have a proven track record of outcomes but only a belief which you must always adhere to....

1 Like

Re: Trust And Faith - Aren't They The Same Thing? by macof(m): 10:13am On May 20, 2015
Many languages don't even have a word for Faith, they use translations for Loyalty, Trust, Belief (so I believe such a psychological state doesn't really exist). . in yoruba we just use "belief. to believe we know comes with justification, faith as its described doesn't
The word "Faith" coming from the Latin word "Fides" meaning trust close to "Fidelis" meaning Loyalty/Faithfulness ..the word in english/christianity has evolved into a non-existent feeling
The Psychological state taken for Faith is actually Delusion or at best Hope

2 Likes

Re: Trust And Faith - Aren't They The Same Thing? by MuttleyLaff: 9:16pm On May 20, 2015
davien:
You so desperately want to vindicate your belief that you resort to lying....
Where are the lies?

davien:
Faith has many definitions all used for different concepts... As anyine said the contrary to that?

[quote author=davien post=33912479]Faith in "god/gods" is a belief or strong conviction held without evidence...
Trust is a firm conviction held due to a proven track record....
Exactly, you exercise faith to build it, just like you exercise the body to build it
A buff body comes from eating, and from eating lots of carbs and protein, likewise faith (i.e. the God faith) comes from hearing and hearing the word of God

davien:
All religions have faith...not trust,
You can say that again

davien:
because no matter your affirmation to believe that your faith would give you the answers you desire,
any answers gotten are accepted (even those against your wishes i.e the death of a loved one, etc) because you don't have a proven track record of outcomes but only a belief which you must always adhere to....
All I can say, is faith not just part of religion but it's part of every aspect of our everyday lives

You see a person receives God's approval because of what he does, not only because of what he believes. The man in the earlier story, is a classic example of having faith (i.e. believing God can help) but losing the faith when he was unable to action his belief and do as instructed
Re: Trust And Faith - Aren't They The Same Thing? by MuttleyLaff: 9:18pm On May 20, 2015
macof:
Many languages don't even have a word for Faith, they use translations for Loyalty, Trust, Belief
(so I believe such a psychological state doesn't really exist). .
in yoruba we just use "belief. to believe we know comes with justification, faith as its described doesn't
Igbẹkẹle or Gbẹkẹle and Igbagbọ or Gbagbọ are Yoruba words
What is igbẹkẹle when translated to English?
What is igbagbọ when translated to English?

Use igbẹkẹle and igbagbọ to write a Yoruba sentence
Or translate "Mo gbẹkẹle ẹ, nitoripe mo nigbagbọ ninu ẹ" to English
Re: Trust And Faith - Aren't They The Same Thing? by macof(m): 9:59pm On May 20, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
Igbẹkẹle or Gbẹkẹle and Igbagbọ or Gbagbọ are Yoruba words
What is igbẹkẹle when translated to English?
What is igbagbọ when translated to English?

Use igbẹkẹle and igbagbọ to write a Yoruba sentence
Or translate "Mo gbẹkẹle ẹ, nitoripe mo nigbagbọ ninu ẹ" to English

Igbekele is reliance, Trust
Igbagbo is belief - to believe

I trust you because I believe in you
Re: Trust And Faith - Aren't They The Same Thing? by MuttleyLaff: 5:22am On May 21, 2015

macof:
Igbekele is reliance, Trust
We are saying the same thing.
https://www.nairaland.com/2323061/trust-faith-arent-same-thing#33909844

macof:
Igbagbo is belief - to believe
Or igbagbọ is faith - to have faith

macof:
I trust you because I believe in you
Or I trust you because I have faith in you
Re: Trust And Faith - Aren't They The Same Thing? by macof(m): 8:48am On May 21, 2015
MuttleyLaff:

We are saying the same thing.
https://www.nairaland.com/2323061/trust-faith-arent-same-thing#33909844

Or igbagbọ is faith - to have faith

Or I trust you because I have faith in you

you are really slow

did you not read this?

macof: in yoruba we just use "belief". to believe we know comes with justification, faith as its described doesn't

You cannot teach me yoruba wit some lousy online translator Mr.

breaking down the word I-Gba-Gbo accepting what is heard = to believe

very different from your Christian definition of faith

if then we choose to look at Igbagbọ(Belief) in another context we would consider "Belief" as a broad term for Hope, trust, Conviction and even Delusions
as I've said the human mind is incapable of having "faith". .unless you say the popular Christian definition of faith is wrong and it actually refers something else (the human mind is capable of) like hope for instance or Trust. .after all the word "faith" was taken from the Latin word for Trust

even the term "blind faith" is just another word for delusion

1 Like

Re: Trust And Faith - Aren't They The Same Thing? by MuttleyLaff: 8:05pm On May 21, 2015
macof:
you are really slow
You can harp on whatever presumptions you have Speedy, Mr Speedy Gonzales or is Einstein better

macof:
did you not read this?
Of course, I read it, and what jumped out was the WE JUST "in yoruba we just use "belief."

macof:
You cannot teach me yoruba wit some lousy online translator Mr.
Dont know why got the hump. Who is teaching you Yoruba? Did you mistake FYI for teaching, even after I posted we are saying the same thing

macof:
breaking down the word I-Gba-Gbo accepting what is heard = to believe

very different from your Christian definition of faith

if then we choose to look at Igbagbọ (Belief) in another context we would consider "Belief" as a broad term for Hope, trust, Conviction and even Delusions
as I've said the human mind is incapable of having "faith". .unless you say the popular Christian definition of faith is wrong and it actually refers something else (the human mind is capable of) like hope for instance or Trust.
I said this before but will say again here. All I can say, is faith not just part of religion but it's part of every aspect of our everyday lives

macof:
after all the word "faith" was taken from the Latin word for Trust
Forget Latin. Latin actually borrowed a lot of words from Greek.
Try faith in Greek. NT was written in Greek, even the Greeks sought the audience of Jesus

macof:
even the term "blind faith" is just another word for delusion
Of course "blind faith" has different meanings or interpretations to different people, incidentally you happen to be one of those people that use it as a negative.
Re: Trust And Faith - Aren't They The Same Thing? by macof(m): 8:23pm On May 21, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
You can harp on whatever presumptions you have Speedy, Mr Speedy Gonzales or is Einstein better

Of course, I read it, and what jumped out was the WE JUST "in yoruba we just use "belief."

Dont know why got the hump. Who is teaching you Yoruba? Did you mistake FYI for teaching, even after I posted we are saying the same thing

I said this before but will say again here. All I can say, is faith not just part of religion but it's part of every aspect of our everyday lives

Forget Latin. Latin actually borrowed a lot of words from Greek.
Try faith in Greek. NT was written in Greek, even the Greeks sought the audience of Jesus

Of course "blind faith" has different meanings or interpretations to different people, incidentally you happen to be one of those people that use it as a negative.

grin grin you really don't want to accept correction.

OK I'll play along ur lane. ..

in Greek , Pistis means Trust, "Pistis" was the same word used in many parts of the NT which english bibles translate as "faith"
now ur church picked up the meaning of faith from their ass

Pistis is also a character (personified) in Greek mythology
Read

Christian englisch speakers obviously filled with delusions gave a different meaning to faith. ..a meaning that doesn't exist in the human psychology...a meaning closer to delusion or Hope
Re: Trust And Faith - Aren't They The Same Thing? by MuttleyLaff: 10:48pm On May 21, 2015
macof:
grin grin you really don't want to accept correction.
grin grin I have no problem with your "delusion"
Live and let live is my mantra

macof:
OK I'll play along ur lane
Wo ẹgbẹ ẹ, yi wọ sọhun, mu lane ti ẹ, material mi o ni brake, yi wọ sọhun, yi wọ sọhun.

macof:
in Greek , Pistis means Trust, "Pistis" was the same word used in many parts of the NT which english bibles translate as "faith"
now ur church picked up the meaning of faith from their ass
Language, language

macof:
Pistis is also a character (personified) in Greek mythology
Read
SMH. Very funny indeed, a wikipedia link, wikipedia the breeding ground for spreading and encouraging ignorance
Anyway your link says:
Pistis (Πίστις) was the personification of good FAITH, trust and reliability
Notice the link used faith and trust in its explanation
I know you're averse to faith which is why you avoid it like a plague and cant stand including it in that post

macof:
Christian englisch speakers obviously filled with delusions gave a different meaning to faith. ..a meaning that doesn't exist in the human psychology...a meaning closer to delusion or Hope
There are at least four kinds of faith but you my friend, for reasons best known to you seem to particularly have it in for the Biblical faith
Re: Trust And Faith - Aren't They The Same Thing? by macof(m): 9:15pm On May 22, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
grin grin I have no problem with your "delusion"
Live and let live is my mantra
I don't care about what ever mantra suits u

Wo ẹgbẹ ẹ, yi wọ sọhun, mu lane ti ẹ, material mi o ni brake, yi wọ sọhun, yi wọ sọhun.
Is this supposed to be yoruba gringrin

Language, language

SMH. Very funny indeed, a wikipedia link, wikipedia the breeding ground for spreading and encouraging ignorance

yes it's language. You said I should talk Greek... I brought it sweetly to you to show that your "faith" doesn't exist in classical thought, wat we have is trust(or hope maybe you could settle for delusion). . As Greek and Latin professed it. ..they had nothing like faith
Same for yoruba
If it's game of linguistics you wanna play I have already owned you on it

grin grin now the link is false. . OK why don't you use the Google translate or buy a bilingual Greek - english dictionary

Anyway your link says:

Pistis (Πίστις) was the personification of good FAITH, trust and reliability
Notice the link used faith and trust in its explanation
I know you're averse to faith which is why you avoid it like a plague and cant stand including it in that post

There are at least four kinds of faith but you my friend, for reasons best known to you seem to particularly have it in for the Biblical faith
C'mon you already talked down wikipedia. ..made a mess of the entire encyclopedia network

But you think you on to something right? grin

Pls can you not see clearly that it stated "good faith"
And the term "good faith" is not Faith

read
...for better understanding of the term "good faith"

Yes I have it in for the Biblical faith because it doesn't exist. .. in fact "faith" as is described doesn't exist in the human psychology
Try Trust, Hope and Delusion. ..they are often mistaken as "faith"

1 Like

Re: Trust And Faith - Aren't They The Same Thing? by MuttleyLaff: 4:56am On May 23, 2015
macof:
Is this supposed to be yoruba gringrin
Yes, and you know it is grin grin grin
Re: Trust And Faith - Aren't They The Same Thing? by macof(m): 7:40pm On May 23, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
Yes, and you know it is grin grin grin
your yoruba is so poor
Re: Trust And Faith - Aren't They The Same Thing? by MuttleyLaff: 8:47pm On May 23, 2015
macof:
your yoruba is so poor
Is it because I dont bother adding accents?
You shuttle Ekiti, other times Abuja but mostly Lagos isnt it?
You must have used Moluẹ before its ban, if not maybe Danfo?

(1) (Reply)

Republic Day 2016 Poems, Kavita In Hindi English For Kids / VIDEO: Shock As Man’s Car Is Completely Burnt In A Crash But The Bible / The Robot Vs The Atheist.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.