Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:01 AM

Computer Science Vs Mathematics Vs Statistics. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Computer Science Vs Mathematics Vs Statistics. (1788 Views)

Statistics Of Admissions Into Degree Awarding Institutions By State Of Orgin-nbs / h / Computer Science Vs Accounting In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Computer Science Vs Mathematics Vs Statistics. by nicho450(m): 11:04am On May 19, 2015
Please help!! Am currently in 200l, computer science and now, i want to switch to either mathematics or statistics. I want to take this move because i observe that you dont really need to study computer science before you become a good programmer. Please whats your candid advice on this and which of the three is even the best to study?
Re: Computer Science Vs Mathematics Vs Statistics. by Nobody: 12:20pm On May 19, 2015
nicho450:
Please help!! Am currently in 200l, computer science and now, i want to switch to either mathematics or statistics. I want to take this move because i observe that you dont really need to study computer science before you become a good programmer. Please whats your candid advice on this and which of the three is even the best to study?

I can tell your love for programming from the reason you gave. But be best assured they are all good options with endless prospects.

Mathematics lays a solid foundation for writing efficient programs (gives you great control over the logical conclusions/calculations contained in programs). Doing maths equips you with the know-how to fit in most research and IT industries, banks, accounting and engineering firms.

Doing statistics means working with complex data and analysing them. There are good statistics programs as well (SPSS). Statisticians get good jobs in data research/technological forecast companies including Population and Census. Most statisticians however find it somewhat challenging doing pure maths in advanced level, it is sometimes too demanding since what they know mostly is applied maths.

In Nigeria, a good masters degree/professional qualifications after your Bsc (irrespective of what you study) should give you a good chance at employment. It all boils down to which course fascinates you the most, and which you are most productive - Maths, Computer Science or Statistics?

Good luck!
Re: Computer Science Vs Mathematics Vs Statistics. by nicho450(m): 1:15pm On May 19, 2015
Thank you

(1) (Reply)

How To Apply For A German Student Visa / Remote Sensing Or Meterology, Which Has Better Job Oppportunities / FG To Harmonise University Grading System

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.