Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,912 members, 7,824,824 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 06:18 PM

AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? (9301 Views)

HELP : INTEL Core Vs AMD : Which Is Better ? / AMD Vs Intel Which Processors Are Better? / Amd Turion 64 X2 Vs Intel Duo Core Processors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by naijafan(m): 10:35am On Sep 29, 2006
wale_oau:

i can see you have made up your mind already

About what? I said ', neither stays a winner for too long'. That aint baised at all.

You started this thread by asking this question,
wale_oau:

hey, I want to get a new system but I am wondering on which processor to get.  What do you think of the durability and cost of the two processors, AMD and INTEL?

Dont you think you're the one who's mind is made up? Was just trying to help anyway,

And as you can see from everybody's replies, they've all got different preferences based on their various experiences. The fact that Intel's Celeron that was manufactured in 2002 has defects doesnt make Intel a loser; they've got numerous alternatives. Likewise, the fact that New said his AMD was always crashing/freezing and overheating doesnt mean AMD's inferior. He probably just got unlucky to have his chip in the production line supervised by a tired Indian after a hard day's work.

That's why i said you should try to enumerate what you want to do with your new computer (now and in the nearest future). That will give you an insight into the processor power that you need. After that, get two good processors that meet that requirement from both Intel and AMD. Read reviews (3rd party ones o! Not the ones on AMD's or Intel's site) about them. Choose, and buy.

Last word (except you need some more):
Test things yourself. Dont listen to the manufacturers. Right?!
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by waleoau(m): 2:15pm On Sep 29, 2006
>>naijafan - brosn no offense intended, i am not for AMD nor intel neither, just want to clarify things and thanks for your advice
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by Mariory(m): 2:24pm On Sep 29, 2006
zebudaya:

well I didn't really say it was equivalent i said "so AMD says". Then again not many people need 3.2 ghz it's like buying a Rollsroyce when an S-class would do just fine.

Back when I bought my laptop 2004, it was the fastest laptop on the block

It's highly likely the AMD 3200+ will have the same performance speed as the Intel P4 3.2 ghz. I cannot say for certain as I havn't tested these processors myself.
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by naijafan(m): 4:20pm On Sep 29, 2006
Mariory:

It's highly likely the AMD 3200+ will have the same performance speed as the Intel P4 3.2 ghz. I cannot say for certain as I havn't tested these processors myself.

naa!!! AMD's naming convention is really misleading. You'll have to look it up on their site or with performance testers. An AMD 1700+ I once encountered actually had a clock speed of 1.2GHz. Hey! I just confirmed from AMD. It has a clock speed of 2.2GHz. Now do you understand?

@wale_oau
You are welcome. You could just post whatever you want to use your new system for so a nairalander (maybe me smiley ) will help you out. Or dont you think multiple heads are better than one?
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by donmayor(m): 5:03pm On Sep 29, 2006
do any of u know if the pentium D 802 is available for sale in Nigeria. it's a cheap dual core processor that can be overclocked from 2.6Ghz to 4.1Ghz. If you have phone numbers of any processor retailer, please feel free to share it with me.
@ Topic
I think intel is better
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by Christino(m): 5:56pm On Sep 29, 2006
@ don,
If u dare overclock without an aggressive water cooling system, ur board would go up in flames - be warned!
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by donmayor(m): 6:02pm On Sep 29, 2006
read d report on intel pentium D 802 and u would find out u can overclock to 3.4GHz without need of a water cooling system. Do they have it in Nigeria yet?
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by diddy4(m): 6:58pm On Sep 29, 2006
the new intel chip knocked out AMD in round 1. check this out. it is from cnet. http://reviews.cnet.com/Intel_Core_2_Duo_E6700/4505-3086_7-31973836.html

intel still rules.
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by Mariory(m): 8:18pm On Sep 29, 2006
naijafan:

naa!!! AMD's naming convention is really misleading. You'll have to look it up on their site or with performance testers. An AMD 1700+ I once encountered actually had a clock speed of 1.2GHz. Hey! I just confirmed from AMD. It has a clock speed of 2.2GHz. Now do you understand?

Err No. Like I stated earlier. You should not use clock speeds to compare AMD and Intel processors. This is because AMD processors do more work per clock cycle than Intel processors. That is why for example, an AMD 2200+ processor with a clock speed of about 1.8GHz will have the same performance or surpass an Intel 2.0GHz processor.
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by dakmanzero(m): 8:25pm On Sep 29, 2006
(please excuse the bad spellings, )

Donmayor I beg you steer clear of the pentium D. You will live to regret it.

You go chop 'ween' with cache contention and overheating (even without that suicidal overclocking you want to go and do,  overclocking prescott? dude don't go there!)

I have a pentium 630 3.0ghz ht and it is hell to keep it running below 60degrees. When i first bought it it regularly hit 90 degrees, and even now it is constatly running its fan at 4500rpm, I can hear the horrible loud whine from my open case.

also zeb, and everyone else, please understand this:

CLOCK SPEED MEANS NOTHING.

That is not 100% true, but the full explanatin would make this post too long. Just accept it like that: clock speed is no measure of performance. For proof, check out the speed of the fastest chip on the market: intel's core 2 duo. none is up to 3GHZ yet they leave the 3+ghz pentium 4s and pentium Ds in the dust

there is only one thing certain of a higher clock speed: MORE HEAT. MORE POWER CONSUMPTION.

so higher clock speeds are BAD

what you WANT to measure is:

PERFORMANCE PER CLOCK CYCLE

multiply that by clock speed and you have power. an amd rated 3000 will smoke a p4 3.0ghz mercilessly. I know this because I have tested them right in front of my eyes with various cpu-heavy applications (chankast and XVID). THERE IS NO COMPETIEION.

amd has been destroying p4's for years.

AT THE MOMENT the intel core 2 duo is better than anything amd has out, but it is an EXTREMELY RECENT DEVELOPMENT. If you are buying anyhting less than EXTREME CUTTING EDGE, amd is a better deal by far, and intels old reliability advantage does not hold,  overheating chips are NOT reliable.

oh, and finally, prescott p4s (like the pentium d donm,ayor wants to punsih himself with) are even worse than reglar p4's due to their deep pipelines. What that means is that if i don't write my code in a special way, minimizing pipeline flushes, i will perform even WORSE than my already bad power x clock speed ratio. The core 2 has fixed this problem with short pipelines, but once agan, core 2 duo is EXTREME CUTTING EDGE and we havent seen amd's answer to it yet.
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by roflmao: 8:27pm On Sep 29, 2006
diddy4:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Intel_Core_2_Duo_E6700/4505-3086_7-31973836.html

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeahhhh! Intel retaliates and knocks AMD unconscious, grin grin grin Good stuff
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by donmayor(m): 9:24pm On Sep 29, 2006
I don hear dakmanzero, I would research more and do u know if they have any C2D processors in naija market and how much it costs? I don't want to get a P4, i want a dual core,
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by dakmanzero(m): 10:35pm On Sep 29, 2006
big bros, rememba say me wey dey talk about the power of AMD sef don go buy p4.

reasons: a c2d will require you to change EVERYTHING. mobo, power supply, case, fan, the works. even your video card may need to change if u havent been using pci express. In short, u go buy new compurra. On top that it is expensive as %%!$$%!$#.

Of course all that is grammar if na laptop u dey buy, in which case just head to ikeja and hook up w some yahoo boys. but no be me an u dey take dat route. me I hate laptops cos they are non upgradeable and too expensive, but that is an opinion. I know 100% of other human beings on earth LOVE laptops and I no dey follow dem argue.

so why did yours truly, who claims that amd is the holy grail, go and suffer myself buying a stupid overheating p4? simple- In ikeja so many ppl have the brainwashed mindset that 'intel is better cos, its, intel, ' and 'clock speed=performance so all these high clock speeds mean intel is faster!' both of which are lies. It was impossible to find a good athlon mobo+cpu, so i had to grudgingly settle for a p4. I bought 630 cos it is suppoosedly one of the best prescotts as per overheating, with all kinds of ogbonge tekinoloji (speedstep, 31c halt state etc) designed to minimize overheating. End result? 90 degrees plus, ages spent searching ikeja on foot for thermal paste and a better fan. Na god save me sef wey d processor no go fry and die.

in short: why MUST you have dual core? in todays world dual core processors are more a waste of money, if you are not running SMT software, and am sure u aint. Fashi dual core an get yasef a nice single core proc, save ya money, wait for core duo price to come down next year at which point ikeja will be swarming with them. Simple. Or if you MUST get dual core, get someone to import a dfual athlon 64 for u from "away"
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by donmayor(m): 4:59pm On Sep 30, 2006
With time dual core would become the defacto standard. I have done some looking into and I've seen AMd athlon XP 3800+ is affordable but the naija question still dey, do they have it? , I just reread ur post dakmanzero and see say i gats import am cry,
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by zebudaya(m): 6:58pm On Sep 30, 2006
@darkmanzero

what you loose in upgradeabilty and extra cost you gain in portability. Thats why i love laptops, I've never had a personal desktop, but i get a new laptop every 2 years cuz technology moves fast as hell.
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by dakmanzero(m): 9:14pm On Sep 30, 2006
well, you be big boy so u get d koin.

Me I need to save ma moolah.

Anytime someone almost convinces me to get a laptop I always end up thinking of the POWER of the desktop I could build w the same kishi,  and that is always the deciding factor. My total hard disk space is now close to a terabyte (990 gigs, 3 250gig deives and 2 120gig drives). i havetwo cpus, one with a radeon x800 256mb ddr, the other with radeom 9800 pro. I have a spare radeon 9200 sitting around and onboard s3 savage. all 3 radeons have tv out with the x800 havng avivo video capture and Hi DEF component video out. I have a satellite suround sound set up with a super woofer, a super multi dvd rom/ram/cdr/rw drive (48x, 8x dvd, dual layer writing) with 512 megs in 1 cpu and 1 gig of 333mhz ram in the other cpu (the one with the stupid overheating p4 630 3.0 ghz HT) bluetooth. wireless optical peripherals. The WORKS

All for less than one laptop that doesnt match EITHER of the cpus in power.

dude. He no go work. Even if i add my xbox 360 to the price of everything (and my starcomms internet line) he still no go reach the quarter million u guys splash on 'the' laptops.
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by donmayor(m): 9:30pm On Sep 30, 2006
512gig in one CPU undecided, u got urself a supercomputer.
Ur specs tight o
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by dakmanzero(m): 10:07pm On Sep 30, 2006
oops!!!!

gomen nasai! I meant 512 MEGS cheesy

lololololol sorry bout dat grin
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by Christino(m): 1:02pm On Oct 02, 2006
THe Core 2 duo EXTREME is a SORDID waste of doe!

The E6600 Core Duo when overclocked can perform much better than it (with good cooling of course), it costs $315 while the EXTREME is about $1000. When overclocked, only AMD's double processor (concept - not out yet) can beat it and even then, intel has a SUPER PROCESSOR (concept) to be out january next year, so while AMD is trying to step up to intel, intel moves one step ahead - END OF STORY, INTEl is KING.

If you need to overclock the E6600, get a 600W powerpack and some very good cooling system, and brothers, you have something faster than the Core EXTREME. Athlon 64FX is a sordid waste of money, besides 2D and 3D processing, INTEL is king in all perspective.

www.guru3d.com
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by dakmanzero(m): 12:08am On Oct 03, 2006
dude, cool down

we no understand wetin u dey talk

maybe if u just gist rather than quoting all those paid-marketing-shill sites we will hear u

wey pesin fit find 600w power supply for naija enh? plus nepa wahala w that kind of 'power'. Jesus christ. even to find 400w power for my non-overclocked prescott power guzzler w all d hard disks and x800 radeon i go put for motherboard it was still hell.

which one is athlon douple processor concept yadda yadda. me i no understand, im too dumb. I do know that dual core athlons are yesterdays news, so at least i know u arent claiming amd doesnt have a dual core processor out. You aren't, are you?

em, dude. You spend 3 paragraphs running intel down by claiming that if you super-overclock a previous gen proc it outperforms a current gen proc (you think?!! duhhhh) and also claiming that the figures dont add up as per bang for buck (ehen. say something new. No be intel?!!)

Then at the end of all that, you take a shot at a processor that has soundly beaten every single intel processor chip till date (save the c2d, which you appear to think is trash cos it doesnt compare w an overclocked chip that chops double power) while remaining cheaper and claim that it is a waste of money?!?!?!?

duuuuh. My brain needs a reboot,
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by naijafan(m): 10:44am On Oct 03, 2006
:d
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by waleoau(m): 12:32pm On Oct 03, 2006
>> naijafan - well i plan to use the system for core programming and softawe development. which specific one will you (personal) recoomend?
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by Christino(m): 2:31pm On Oct 03, 2006
@ Darkman,

Do you believe in hearsays? I believe in the results of experiments and not hype. I won't argue with you, just visit the site, www.guru3d.com and learn.

as for 600W power pack, you can't get it in Nigeria, maybe pcoutlet (@ Palms) should have it.

Have you heard of Duo VGA cards? that is 2 VGA Cards on one board?, check hardware/gaming sites and learn. Man, the best way to test the speed of any Specs is by benchmarking and that's best with games or rendering.
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by dakmanzero(m): 1:13pm On Oct 04, 2006
no i do not.

which is why i wont just go to a website and 'learn' from what amounts to paid coroporate junk, even worse than hearsay.

in my very before, AMD has thrashed intel consistently. So much so that even ordinary users (ie non-gamers, non-hardware freaks) notice it instantly.

in my very before, in fact right now, intels processors are noisy, steaming overheating pieces of junk (i still love my p4 630 anyway, despite the horrible whine it disturbs me with day and night)

as for power pack- i think you are right. But then abeg dont suggest pc outlet. Thats where all d rich kids go to buy ikeja-grade stuff for 8 times the price. They would NEVER have something as hardcore as a power supply minus case there, talkless of a SIX HUNDRED WATT POWER SUPPLY!!!! aaaaargh!!!!!

bros. the SLI and crossfire dual video card story is a completely different one from dual core CPU's. If you want make i explain please ask, I dont want to come across as a pretentious asshole by yanning too much grammar without being asked to- but rest assured it is a completely different beast!

finally, there are three types of liars in this world: chronic liars, damned liars and benchmark tests. John C dvorak said that back in '95 and its still valid today. Believe not the benchmark tests. THEY LIE. once more if u want an explanation, ask!
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by Christino(m): 1:39pm On Oct 04, 2006
@ Darkman,

I still need a proof for every word you say. THE WORLD CANNOT BE WRONG!

If intel pays to get high benchmark results, I guess so does NVIDIA!

I wouldn't mind if you can benchmark and overclock and give us results on Nairaland and let's run those murdfokas out of business but until then, i'm tired of living on hearsays, My HP laptop has an Athlon XP -M 2.12GHz (+2800) with 512MB RAM and 60GB HDD + 64MB ATI Shared VGA.

My younger brother has an Intel Centrino 1.73GHz, 512MB RAM, 40G HDD + 128 Intel VGA. This guy beat me hands down on Winning Eleven 7 as well as FIFA 2004 in terms of graphics and Speed.

How else do you need to benchmark? I have a P4 1.5GHz Desktop with Nvidia Geforce 2 64MB and man, I'm shortta words.

Tell me how else i can benchmark that? AMD used to be very cheap but the assholes are no longer worth their Intel companion prices anymore, check out the prices of Laptops with AMD Chips - almost Equally expensive, so why go crazy for nothing?

I've used Cyrix, Motorola, Intel and AMD, what more do I need, plus my Last project, I had to do a research on the least processor to use, I settled for Motorola because of the pricing, Intel 386 or even 8080 woulda been a good choice!
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by New(m): 4:17pm On Oct 04, 2006
Christino:

I've used Cyrix, Motorola, Intel and AMD, what more do I need, plus my Last project, I had to do a research on the least processor to use, I settled for Motorola because of the pricing, Intel 386 or even 8080 woulda been a good choice!

grin grin
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by naijafan(m): 5:35pm On Oct 04, 2006
wow!

@wale_oau
that was a tough one. i think you should be more specific about what form of programming and the language you would be using. This is because a programmer's needs ranges from at least a typical 800MHz to a supercomputer! Desktop programming comes in different flavours, and so do web. For instance, a typical ColdFusion developer needs at least a 1.7Ghz processor as the application server sucks a lot of CPU juice.

Personally, to satisfy current and the nearest future trends, I'll suggest you go for a 2.0GHz processor with about 512K or 1M cache. 512MB RAM minimum and 60GB hard disk depending on your storage needs.

@darkmanzero
Very funny!
dakmanzero:

in my very before, AMD has thrashed intel consistently. So much so that even ordinary users (ie non-gamers, non-hardware freaks) notice it instantly.

How on earth will ordinary users notice the difference between processors? Or where your imaginary users comparing an AMD AthlonXP to an Intel Pentium II 350MHz? That's the only time an ordinary user will notice anything.

The only way to compare CPUs is to figure out their boiling point by putting them through some stress, like hardcore 3D rendering which mostly occurs while playing games. Moral lesson: Only real gamers can really tell how badass a processor is. For the normal user, you could put your CPU to test by forcing it to perform calculations repeatedly until certain conditions are met. For instance, you could calculate the value of pi to x million digits. Just in case you want to try before you come ranting on this forum, google 'super pi', and download it. Even wikipedia has an article on it just in case you dont understand this post. You might consider posting your results on this thread before saying anything else. Right?!
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by naijafan(m): 5:38pm On Oct 04, 2006
@darkmanzero

Hey! just read your last paragraph again. Maybe you would consider yourself a liar if your own benchmarks dont agree with what you've always believed.
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by waleoau(m): 8:14am On Oct 05, 2006
well basically i use java and though i believe benchmarks can be biased, i don't agree that intel pays to get higher results, if they do, then others are doing it too.
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by Romulus(m): 9:41am On Oct 05, 2006
Hey dude. Don't get confused by all the crap sum guys have been saying. How can you say AMD 3200+ is equivalent to Intel's Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz. Thats so stupid. Is it cuz they both have "32" or wat? 3200+ has a clock speed of 2.2GHz not 3.2. Well to the AMD vs Intel aspect. AMD processors are hard workers while intel processors are trail blazers. Intel is after speed and AMD is after peformance. It's not like Intel processors too don't perform, yeah, they do but they are not as good as AMD. The real truth is actually beyond those figures you see in your GUI and the boxes of those products. I mean, talking about processes per clock(PPC), pipeline bursts and all that stuff. This is when you can actually know how well processors perform. CHEERS!!!!!!!!11
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by Romulus(m): 10:28am On Oct 05, 2006
Anutha mistake you guys are making is this. Most of these AMD processors you guyz talk about are 64 bit chips. Why would they noe perform better than their intel non-counterparts. Check your facts before comparing!!
cool shocked shocked shocked cool
Re: AMD vs Intel: Which Is Better? by naijafan(m): 11:43am On Oct 05, 2006
@romulus
please tell 'em!

@wale_oau
Then go for the specs I mentioned. Java runtime uses a lot of RAM, not to talk of the JDK. Still havnt checked what processor would be best for you. kinda busy right now. would review for you later today. cheers!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Can I Format My Acer Laptop Back To Factory Settings Pls Nairalander. / Forbidden: Adverts, Cracks, Illegal Hacks, Software Piracy, Etc / THREAD UPDATED! OCTOBER LAPTOP ARRIVALS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.