Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,676 members, 7,816,777 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:53 PM

Robots As Sex Surrogates To Treat Sexual Problems - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Robots As Sex Surrogates To Treat Sexual Problems (1204 Views)

Sex Surrogates: They Only Service Men, They Are Not Prostitutes! / Sex And Marriage With Robots; Fiction Or New Reality? / HILARIOUS: This Woman Can Solve All Your Sexual Problems In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Robots As Sex Surrogates To Treat Sexual Problems by IceDune: 9:44am On May 22, 2015
Issues of robot sexuality are moving out of the realm of fantasy. Scientists are now beginning to look at what place sexuality plays in their existence, if at all. The comment was made by Dr Ian Kerner, a sexuality counsellor for Good in Bed, during a Hopes&Fears hosted roundtable discussion.

‘Sex surrogacy, is effectively illegal,’ he said. ‘As a therapist, I can't really legally recommend a sex surrogate, but there is a place with surrogacy and I wonder if AI could occupy that place.

Sex surrogacy, he explained, is a service for people who suffer from problems such as premature ejaculation or have had very limited sexual experience.

One therapist recently suggested that robots could be used as ‘sex surrogates’ for humans to help overcome sexual problems and trauma. Pictured is an ultra-realistic robot, dubbed Kodomoroid, built in Japan

‘The idea of going to a surrogate might be somebody who [the patient] could effectively have sex with and learn how to relax.

‘Sex is in the margins. It's a grey zone. But I could see AI - maybe a limited use but a very important use to occupy that space.’

WILL ROBOTS HAVE SEX WITH EACH OTHER?

Last year two cybernetics experts gave their views on how robots might reproduce.

Novelist George Zarkadakis said robots that are both silicon and carbon based, could have sex at a molecular level to produce offspring - although how this could happen is unclear.

AI expert Professor Noel Sharkey, meanwhile, said that there might not be any need to look at molecules as robots can be 'bred' by swapping software, so the code used to make robots perform certain tasks particularly well can be combined to create a 'child'.

He believes that robots of the future will be able to print their offspring, a little like a 3D printer, but could assemble them too.

And Mr Zarkadis said if robots could have sex, it would defend them from computer viruses and make them more robust.

Others during the roundtable raised concerns that sexual surrogacy with robots could cause more problems than it addresses.

‘If there's [a generation] growing up with intelligent intimacy gadgets that learn your preferences….it could be extremely disturbing when those people do come into contact with other human beings,’ said Gareth Price, a Manchester University graduate with a degree in AI.

The controversial idea of giving sexbots to paedophiles was also raised.

‘I could imagine for somebody who's, say, a paedophile—someone with a sexual imprint that really runs counter to society's values, an AI might be [helpful] to that kind of sexuality to be expressed,’ said Kerner.

Last year, leading robotics experts said the emergence of 'sexbots' that resemble children is inevitable.

They echoed Kerner’s views by saying it could form an important part of treatment plans for paedophiles.

'We’ve had intimacy gadgets for as long as mankind, and womankind, have been around,' said Ron Arkin, Georgia Tech’s Mobile Robot Lab director, speaking on a robot ethics panel at Berkeley.

'Child-like robots could be used for paedophiles the way methadone is used to treat drug addicts,' Arkin said, according to Forbes.

He said researchers should begin testing potential therapies.

'There are no presumptions that this will assuredly yield positive results – I only believe it is worth investigating in a controlled way to possibly provide better protection to society from recidivism in sex offenders,' he said.

'If we can save some children, I think it’s a worthwhile project.'

Researchers believe that within 25 years AI could outperform human intelligence – and many are warning that society needs to put rules in place prevent robots from taking over.

While sexuality doesn’t often feature in mainstream discussion, it remains a major concern.

‘You can have this machine that's intelligently anticipating your every need and giving you these feelings of warmth and security and love,’ said Price.

‘It'd certainly create a sort of drug experience or this kind of cocoon in this perfect love with a machine? Then what is a role for a messy, flawed human relationship?

- See more at: http://www.breakingnews234.com/2015/05/robots-as-sex-surrogates-to-treat.html

Re: Robots As Sex Surrogates To Treat Sexual Problems by Abbey2sam(m): 10:51am On May 23, 2015
Lies

that's a picture from a movie "Ex-machina"

(1) (Reply)

Welcome A Nairalander! / 10 Things You Should Never Sacrifice For A Relationship / ***please Help Me***

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.