Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,224 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:49 AM

Would You Change Your Name After Getting Married? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would You Change Your Name After Getting Married? (3178 Views)

Help! My Friend Is Afraid Of Getting Married / What Are Your fears Of Getting Married Or Being Married? Singles ONLY / I'm Having Doubts About Getting Married Next Month (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Change Your Name After Getting Married? by Immaangel(f): 6:41am On May 23, 2015
HERE ARE 8 REASONS WHY U SHOULD OR SHOULDN'T CHANGE YOUR SURNAME
Its saturday and many couples all over d world will be joined together as husband and wife.
One of the biggest changes that women get to face after their marriage is, they get a whole new identity after it. Well yes, we are talking about the change of surname that women observe after their marriage. But, not all women might be allured with this idea. After all, it is not easy for all to change their identity that they have lived with for many years, in just one day.
Fortunately, it is no longer a compulsion to do so, and is entirely upon a woman’s choice to either retain her maiden name or take her husband’s surname after marriage. But, how does one decide? Well, if you are also going through such a phase, then here is a list of practical pros and cons to help you arrive at a valid conclusion.
Reasons To Change You Surname
Well, we all know that change is always good. Even though it may seem a little scary in the beginning, it is still good. And, here are some good reasons to accept the change of name in your life after marriage:
#1. Gives you a sense of belonging
When you get married to the person you love, his name joined to yours on paper gives you a sense of fulfillment and joy that you might have never felt before. You feel as if you belong to him and only him. It is a new phase of your life with a new identity altogether. It is a feeling that brings the big smile on your face.
#2. The names of kids do not get confusing
If you retain your old surname, what surname will your children take, his or yours? Choosing one out of the two can also lead to serious fights, as it will then become more of an ego issue. Well, in India, kids are still expected to take the suranme of their father. So, isn’t it better to take his surname to avoid fights and also an identity crisis for your children?
#3. It makes you a part of the family
Now that you are also an integral part of his family, then why not reflect it even in your name? If you two have same family name, it makes you one. Not only does it sound good, but also makes you united and strong as a family.
#4. Easier for others to address you
When people need to address you as a couple at an event or write your name on a wedding invitation card or any other invite, addressing you becomes easier for them. With a common surname, they can address you simply as, ‘Mrs. and Mr. so-and-so’.
Reasons To Retain Your Old Name
While these are really good enough reasons that might tempt anyone to change their surname after marriage, some of you may still be in confusion probably because of following ones:
#1. You don’t want to change your identity
All your life, your name has been your identity and it defines who you are. Hence, you would not want to change it. You have spent all your life making yourself the person you are today and your name plays an important role in that process. Changing the surname might just take away from you that entire hard work of yours.
#2. You love your maiden name
Ever since you were a little girl, you have always been in love with your surname. Nothing in the world would let you change it, let alone marriage. So, if it is not that big an issue with your spouse and he understands your feelings, you would rather retain your maiden name. Right?
#3. The paperwork is too much
If you thought that the marriage arrangements and getting everything done timely was the only stressful part, then wait till you see the paperwork involved in the name changing process. The number of identity proofs and other documents that need to be changed are quite a lot. And, the process of course, is too exhausting. In such case, won’t you prefer retaining your maiden name?
#4. You do not like his surname
Remember the movie, 3 Idiots, in which Kareena Kapoor was terrified at just the thought of changing her name to Priya Wangdu? In the same way, you surely would love your husband a lot, but might not stand his last name. Well, in such case, probably your choice would be to keep your name as it always has been
Keeping everyone happy
Well in either of the cases, there might be the chances of either of you getting a little disappointed. In such cases, you can opt for the modern-day trend. Many women these days are opting to keep their maiden surnames along with that of their husbands’. We even have many of our Bollywood divas, who have followed the trend. Some of the famous ones include, Madhuri Dixit Nene, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and Kareena Kapoor Khan. Quite a nice way to keep everyone happy. Isn’t it?
Well, we did our part by providing you the complete information about pros and cons of changing name after marriage. Now, just sit with your husband and ponder over these points carefully before making a decision. And in the end, just be happy about whatsoever choice you make.

1 Like

Re: Would You Change Your Name After Getting Married? by Nigga44: 6:51am On May 23, 2015
You hyphenate your name and your daughter does the same. And it goes on and on until your lineage completely forgets who they are.

Why don't you women start seeing your husbands as partners and not competitors? undecided

And i've noticed that the beautiful, classy and highly successful women in our societies tend to stick to their husbands' names only. Women like Dora Akunyili, Oby Ezekwesili, Remi Tinubu, Michele Obama, Hilary Clinton, Alison Maduke, et la

For instance ,Bianca decided to stick to 'Bianca Ojukwu' rather than 'Bianca Onoh-Ojukwu'. She uses only her husband's surname even though her father was arguably the richest man in the whole of southeast as at the time. This is a very classy former beauty queen that we're talking about here.

The rich classy ones don't retain their father's name, yet some poverty-stricken daughters of palm wine tappers want to keep his poor name cheesy

I dey laugh

3 Likes

Re: Would You Change Your Name After Getting Married? by Tallesty1(m): 6:55am On May 23, 2015
She's gotta change that name shagrin. That's a sign of successful Transfer of ownership and acceptable proofs of ownershipgringringringrin

3 Likes

Re: Would You Change Your Name After Getting Married? by kilokeys(m): 6:58am On May 23, 2015
then how does

Oluwagbemisola Mobolaji Jagunlabi sound?

yuck.. too fvcking long..
Re: Would You Change Your Name After Getting Married? by elantraceey(f): 8:07am On May 23, 2015
Well I will , it will give me a sense of total submission .

1 Like

Re: Would You Change Your Name After Getting Married? by Nobody: 10:04am On May 23, 2015
Yes I will.. out of respect for my husband. Having the same name as hubby symbolizes/emphasises our new family unit

1 Like

Re: Would You Change Your Name After Getting Married? by Nobody: 11:36am On May 23, 2015
I won't.
He is not my father.

1 Like

Re: Would You Change Your Name After Getting Married? by lilmax(m): 12:45pm On May 23, 2015
Nigga44:
You hyphenate your name and your daughter does the same. And it goes on and on until your lineage completely forgets who they are.

Why don't you women start seeing your husbands as partners and not competitors? undecided

And i've noticed that the beautiful, classy and highly successful women in our societies tend to stick to their husbands' names only. Women like Dora Akunyili, Oby Ezekwesili, Remi Tinubu, Michele Obama, Hilary Clinton, Alison Maduke, et la

For instance ,Bianca decided to stick to 'Bianca Ojukwu' rather than 'Bianca Onoh-Ojukwu'. She uses only her husband's surname even though her father was arguably the richest man in the whole of southeast as at the time. This is a very classy former beauty queen that we're talking about here.

The rich classy ones don't retain their father's name, yet some poverty-stricken daughters of palm wine tappers want to keep his poor name cheesy

I dey laugh
grin grin if person talk now them go say na oppression
Re: Would You Change Your Name After Getting Married? by Nobody: 5:03pm On May 23, 2015
Immaangel: Fortunately, it is no longer a compulsion to do so, and is entirely upon a woman’s choice to either retain her maiden name or take her husband’s surname after marriage.

You lost me at this point. Good luck in your quest for a hyphenated surname.
Re: Would You Change Your Name After Getting Married? by Nobody: 5:05pm On May 24, 2015
Nigga44:

I dey laugh
Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde

Chioma Chukwuka-Akpotha

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Beyonce Knowles-Carter

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala

Joke Silva

Kim Kardashian etc

May I go on? cry

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Change Your Name After Getting Married? by Nobody: 5:43pm On May 24, 2015
FrancisTony:

Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde

Chioma Chukwuka-Akpotha

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Beyonce Knowles-Carter

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala

Joke Silva

Kim Kardashian etc

May I go on? cry

You sabi argue with bushmeats sha cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Would You Change Your Name After Getting Married? by Nobody: 5:44pm On May 24, 2015
Chillisauce:

grin grin grin
Re: Would You Change Your Name After Getting Married? by Nobody: 6:00pm On May 24, 2015
FrancisTony:

grin grin grin

Never changed my name after marriage. I just added hubby's surname to it. All my documents , passports, certifications ,landed property ,investments etc. still have my names . shouldn't need plenty explanation to convince you its mine.

These days wey nigerian banks eyes dey shine. Make dem no carry my 55, 000 taasan naira runaway.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Change Your Name After Getting Married? by Nobody: 6:13pm On May 24, 2015
Chillisauce:

Never changed my name after marriage. I just added hubby's surname to it. All my documents , passports, certifications ,landed property ,investments etc. still have my names . shouldn't need plenty explanation to convince you its mine.

These days wey nigerian banks eyes dey shine. Make dem no carry my 55, 000 taasan naira runaway.

My mum didn't change her name officially in any of her documents.

She only use our surname unofficial.

4 Likes

Re: Would You Change Your Name After Getting Married? by edwife(f): 6:52pm On May 24, 2015
Must everything be a problem? Life is so easy.You guys need to chill for real. undecided

In as much i love hubby name,i still kept my name for many reasons.My passports,IDs,school certificates and many more had my maiden name,so i just add his name after mine.

Less trouble trying to explain to immigration officials,bank officials,uni and so on.As long as your name is incorporated there is no big deal. sadWhen they call you believe me your maiden name is ignored,you will answer MRS...........(hubby name).

4 Likes

Re: Would You Change Your Name After Getting Married? by pretty050(f): 7:55pm On May 24, 2015
My name plus surname 4+4= 8 letters, can't drop any, just going to add to it. Most People call me by my surname so am so keeping it

1 Like

Re: Would You Change Your Name After Getting Married? by kelechiMarie(f): 7:42am On May 25, 2015
Maybe or maybe not.
Some people actually call me by my surname so whether i change or don't it'll always be a part of me. Same for husband's surname,people will naturally refer to you as mrs...... even if you don't officially change it
Re: Would You Change Your Name After Getting Married? by Moana(f): 7:59am On May 25, 2015
Nigga44:

I dey laugh
its not the women who see the husband as a competitor but rather you are the ones who see it that way. If a woman keeps her surnames and they stay married, clearly they have reached common ground and you outsiders are the ones poking your noise into what doesnt concern your life.

Everyone has the right to decide what works well for their marriage.

Like you said the wife is a partner not a piece of furniture thats simply in the house for display, she still has her own right to choose her identity. If using her husband's alone works for her,fine. If she decides to add her husbands surname to hers, its still fine.

1 Like

Re: Would You Change Your Name After Getting Married? by Moana(f): 8:01am On May 25, 2015
Chillisauce:

grin

From Francis Tony's response to Nigga44 it is evident that it is the sons of palm wine tapper that are in desparate need of keeping a lineage irrelevant to society that have issues with women keeping their father's surname. Look at all those influencial women who are still married to their successful husbands despite keeping their father's surnames cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Would You Change Your Name After Getting Married? by Mintayo(m): 8:18am On May 25, 2015
I don't understand this section again seriously!
Re: Would You Change Your Name After Getting Married? by Nobody: 8:25am On May 25, 2015
why ?

this's a good topic

Mintayo:
I don't understand this section again seriously!
Re: Would You Change Your Name After Getting Married? by EfemenaXY: 11:20am On May 25, 2015
It's no big deal. At the end of the day, it boils down to individual preferences. Deciding to keep or ditch the maiden name does not guarantee the success or failure of the marriage.

My grandmother dropped hers. My mum maintained hers. I dropped mine. My daughter might probably retain hers, lol.

For me personally, dropping my maiden name and fully embracing my married surname made (and still does make) me feel more married - if that makes sense. And no, I haven't experienced any complications with regards to my bank accounts, passports, certificates, etc. Provision is made for change of name anyway as they do ask you to indicate "any former names held". So it's no biggie.
Re: Would You Change Your Name After Getting Married? by Nobody: 4:28pm On May 25, 2015

1 Like

Re: Would You Change Your Name After Getting Married? by Nobody: 4:43pm On May 25, 2015
EfemenaXY:
It's no big deal. At the end of the day, it boils down to individual preferences. Deciding to keep or ditch the maiden name does not guarantee the success or failure of the marriage.

My grandmother dropped hers. My mum maintained hers. I dropped mine. My daughter might probably retain hers, lol.

For me personally, dropping my maiden name and fully embracing my married surname made (and still does make) me feel more married - if that makes sense. And no, I haven't experienced any complications with regards to my bank accounts, passports, certificates, etc. Provision is made for change of name anyway as they do ask you to indicate "any former names held". So it's no biggie.

Right, I don't think keeping it due to not wanting to go through the trouble of changing legal documents isn't a good enough reason. They always ask if you had any former names and will make the necessary changes. If someone really wants to change it, they'll change it and not give that excuse. Each to their own.
Re: Would You Change Your Name After Getting Married? by EfemenaXY: 5:01pm On May 26, 2015
Incline:

Right, I don't think keeping it due to not wanting to go through the trouble of changing legal documents isn't a good enough reason. They always ask if you had any former names and will make the necessary changes. If someone really wants to change it, they'll change it and not give that excuse. Each to their own.

We're saying the same thing.
Re: Would You Change Your Name After Getting Married? by Nobody: 5:11pm On May 26, 2015

(1) (Reply)

Marriage Wahala / My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? / Just Lost My Wife Of 4yrs, Am Dying.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.