Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,536 members, 7,819,918 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:39 AM

My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? (3186 Views)

My Baby Won't Eat.....Please Suggestions (Worried Dad) / I Need Help And Suggestions In Dealing With A Noisy Neighbour / What A Five Year Old Requested For (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by Mystical888: 7:03am On Dec 26, 2015
Hello house,

Going by the popular adage that says, "Train your child in the way of the lord and when the child grows up he wont forget".

And also the modern belief which says "The time you Spend with your kids is worth more than the money you lavish on them".

I'm trying to get people's views on how to get my kids to learn new things at every stage in their lives and make them super-kids.

I have listed a few trainings for them and I'm searching for places where they can achieve them before the clock age (10) ten:-

(1) Playing the piano
(2) Karate
(3) Playing the violin
(4) Playing the saxophone
(5) Learn baking
(6) Learn to speak french and Arabic
(7) Learn sewing
(cool Learn good use of the computer .....Etcetera

Comments and recommendations are highly solicited.

2 Likes

Re: My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by walearoy(m): 7:07am On Dec 26, 2015
Cool

I don't have a child yet but I'll love to learn
Re: My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by brunofarad(m): 7:07am On Dec 26, 2015
Teach them how to PRAY
Teach them the tenet of LOVE
Teach them the value of saving for tomorrow

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by jasper7(m): 7:54am On Dec 26, 2015
brunofarad:
Teach them how to PRAY

Damn! you are so on point
Re: My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by jasper7(m): 8:00am On Dec 26, 2015
Mystical888:
Hello house,

Going by the popular adage that says, "Train your child in the way of the lord and when the child grows up he wont forget".

And also the modern belief which says "The time you Spend with your kids is worth more than the money you lavish on them".

I'm trying to get people's views on how to get my kids to learn new things at every stage in their lives and make them super-kids.

I have listed a few trainings for them and I'm searching for places where they can achieve them before the clock age (10) ten:-

(1) Playing the piano
(2) Karate
(3) Playing the violin
(4) Playing the saxophone
(5) Learn baking
(6) Learn to speak french and Arabic
(7) Learn sewing
(cool Learn good use of the computer .....Etcetera

Comments and recommendations are highly solicited.

hi, I think this is more of what you think will make them super kids. I think you'll need to study them a bit and develop whatsoever you think they have a flair for, to get the best out of them. and having them do too much might not be so helpful in making them "super". If the kid can be so good in one out of all these, spend more time teaching the child that one.
and personally, I think it's very cool that you are committed to the development of your kids smiley

2 Likes

Re: My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by Nobody: 10:47am On Dec 26, 2015
Following!
Re: My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by onegig(m): 8:52pm On Dec 26, 2015
Nothing wrong in your approach setting a deadline is what I just believe is wrong and would only lead to unnecessary pressures on the kids.

They have their lives to live and the formative years should be very relaxed and any extra curricula activities engaged in should just be for the fun of it and not about setting milestones.

2 Likes

Re: My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by Mystical888: 4:03pm On Dec 28, 2015
onegig:
Nothing wrong in your approach setting a deadline is what I just believe is wrong and would only lead to unnecessary pressures on the kids.
They have their lives to live and the formative years should be very relaxed and any extra curricula activities engaged in should just be for the fun of it and not about setting milestones.

jasper7:

hi, I think this is more of what you think will make them super kids. I think you'll need to study them a bit and develop whatsoever you think they have a flair for, to get the best out of them. and having them do too much might not be so helpful in making them "super". If the kid can be so good in one out of all these, spend more time teaching the child that one.
and personally, I think it's very cool that you are committed to the development of your kids smiley

brunofarad:
Teach them how to PRAY

All well noted!
Still following.....
more suggestions.
Re: My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by Chidoks(f): 4:18pm On Dec 28, 2015
Good one! Karate is cool for boys.
You can add basketball game to your list as bodily exercise is also important and they will enjoy it much.
I'm stealing some of your ideas already wink
Re: My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Dec 28, 2015
Let children be children.

"The Downside of Being a Child Prodigy

Alissa Quart learned to read at three. By the time she was five, her father counted on her to offer presentations on modernist art. In elementary school, she taught her own friends to read. By seven, she had written her first novel; at 10, she was lecturing her companions on everything from film stock to astrology. She routinely read a book a day. When she was a 13-year-old high school freshman, she edited her father's writing. By 17, she had won a dozen creative-writing competitions.

A dream childhood that would handily prepare a bright youngster for the intellectual rigors of life, right? Not really, writes Quart, now 34, in her new book, Hothouse Kids: The Dilemma of the Gifted Child (Penguin Press). "Having been built in the fashion I was as a child — created and then deflated — has left me with a distinct feeling of failure." Quart is unflinchingly honest about her unusual childhood experience. "My father would have bristled at the notion that he was an overbearing puppet master. If I sat absolutely quietly and wrote lyrical verse about tree-tops, I was peachy. My father was hell-bent on bettering my lot — and by extension our family's lot." But, continues Quart in Hothouse Kids, "I was far too young for the Czech films and the difficult novels I was coerced to digest. My father's plan succeeded on one level, of course. I became a hothouse kid."

In her book, Quart explores the pressures that are brought to bear on those children designated gifted or prodigies. True prodigies are very rare, says Quart. Her definition of prodigy: "a child with a skill set or an ability that is incredibly accomplished, far beyond their years." They tend to be in chess, music and math, more in quantitative fields and less in qualitative disciplines, where "kids are gifted in ways that are hard to measure." But then there is Marla Olmstead, a four-year-old artist whom Quart visited, whose dozens of brightly colored abstract oil paintings have brought in $300,000, as well as calls from Oprah and David Letterman. Some prodigies make successful transitions to adult accomplishment, but others flounder as they get older. Gifted children, an intellectual step down from prodigyhood, tend to be identified with high IQ scores. (Quart is quick to say that she herself was not a prodigy.)

In a culture of ambitious parenting that has yielded prenatal child enrichment products (e.g., BabyPlus Womb Songs) and high-concept teaching devices (Baby Einstein DVDs), parents feel an increasing amount of anxiety about helping their offspring keep up with the neighbors' kids. But such measures don't necessarily work, writes Quart, and may even backfire. "Designating children as gifted, especially extremely gifted, and cultivating that giftedness may be not only a waste of money, but positively harmful," she writes. "The overcultivated can develop self-esteem problems and performance anxiety." An extreme example was Brandenn Bremmer, a teenager with an IQ over 160, who made national news when he entered college at age 10. He told Quart in an interview, "America is a society that demands perfection."In March 2005, at the age of 14, he committed suicide by shooting himself in the head.

These issues are not abstractions to Quart, who told TIME that she is still struggling with them. "I just got married, and I'm trying to figure that out how to parent. Children who are told that they're gifted, talented or special may well not perform or feel as good as a child who's merely told, you've done a job nicely, you did it well, I'm so glad you did it like that, you're doing great." Her advice to others? "Emphasize the work in itself, the process itself, the activity. The kids are trying, they're doing a GOOD JOB, they're learning how to do something. Each thing they do is discrete; it's not part of a larger identity of being spectacular."

Quart sought out former prodigies and gifted kids while researching her book, as well as the parents of high-achieving children. Her hard work has paid off: her book has garnered praise from such publications as Publishers Weekly: "Quart's second book is first-class literary journalism." Mary Pipher, the best-selling author of Reviving Ophelia, is also a fan: "[Quart's] conclusions manage to be both commonsensical and profound. In the end, she makes a scholarly argument for the benefits of sandboxes, recess and goofing off. I love this woman." And many parents might too, if they can benefit from Quart's hard-earned wisdom about how to nurture talent gently, without crushing it."

http://content.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1532087,00.html

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Dec 28, 2015
onegig:

Beautiful and sensible! You seem to know what really counts. wink Seconded.
Re: My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Dec 28, 2015
Chidoks:
Good one! Karate is cool for boys.
You can add basketball game to your list as bodily exercise is also important and they will enjoy it much.
I'm stealing some of your ideas already wink

Add more? shocked More stress? undecided

How do you know they will enjoy it?
Re: My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by Chidoks(f): 4:35pm On Dec 28, 2015
Mindfulness:

Add more? shocked More stress? undecided

How do you know they will enjoy it?

Basketball game is a very good exercise.Most normal/healthy children enjoy playing games.She may cut on some but every child needs exercise not just children,they can schedule every Saturday or Sunday evening where they have fun and build team spirit as a family

1 Like

Re: My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Dec 28, 2015
Chidoks:

Basketball game is a very good exercise.Most normal/healthy children enjoy playing games.She may cut on some but every child needs exercise not just children,they can schedule every Saturday or Sunday evening where they have fun and build team spirit as a family

I do not know where I argued that exercise is not necessary and good for kids. undecided

However, not every child enjoys every game/sport and besides children aren't machines.
Re: My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by Chidoks(f): 4:47pm On Dec 28, 2015
Mindfulness:

I do not know where I argued that exercise is not necessary and good for kids. undecided

However, not every child enjoys every game/sport and besides children aren't machines.

What's your point exactly?
I suggested BB, you said it's additional stress, I maintained that children need exercise you still turned around.
It musn't be BB,any exercise at all .There must be one exercise they enjoy,it's very necessary.
Your "Children are not machines" is not necessary here.I'm not asking her to teach them how to manufacture a car. I suggested a game which will aid physical and mental development of any child. I even suggested the whole family do it together.

4 Likes

Re: My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Dec 28, 2015
Chidoks:

What's your point exactly?
I suggested BB, you said it's additional stress, I maintained that children need exercise you still turned around.
It musn't be BB,any exercise at all .There must be one exercise they enjoy,it's very necessary.
[b]Your "Children are not machines" is not necessary here.[/b]I'm not asking her to teach them how to manufacture a car. I suggested a game which will aid physical and mental development of any child. I even suggested the whole family do it together.

My point is that this list is very si.lly. She should cross off some of the activities on this list instead of asking for further suggestions.
Children need some rest too.

1 Like

Re: My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by byvan03: 5:05pm On Dec 28, 2015
Teach them how to clean up after themselves .

1 Like

Re: My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by Chidoks(f): 5:08pm On Dec 28, 2015
Mindfulness:

My point is that this list is very si.lly. She should cross off some of the activities on this list instead of asking for further suggestions.
Children need some rest too.
N'im you come dey quote me as if na me compile the list?
Ask her to reduce it na,though the karate got me tripping.I wish there is somewhere near me for that...
Re: My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Dec 28, 2015
Chidoks:

N'im you come dey quote me as if na me compile the list?
Ask her to reduce it na,though the karate got me tripping.I wish there is somewhere near me for that...

Issorait.

We all agree that we want our kids to have fun, don't we? cheesy
Re: My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by Chidoks(f): 5:12pm On Dec 28, 2015
Mindfulness:

Issorait.

We all agree that we want our kids to have fun, don't we? cheesy

Yeah,much fun
Re: My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by Dyt(f): 5:12pm On Dec 28, 2015
Karate?
Abeg oo
Don't let these kids practice on themselves Niko
Thinking of karate for my son
Then his bully mode is unlimited
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
After several kids with black eyes, he will still keep saying Daya, is sef defence
grin

1 Like

Re: My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by Onegai(f): 9:41pm On Dec 28, 2015
Mystikal888, toss the list.

I have done 6 and a half out of that list and even did more not on the list. And I'm going to say this so listen carefully please:

Don't force your desires and expectations on your child.

Because you didn't do it when you were young and you see other kids doing it, doesn't mean your child will love it. And what's worse is that they will resent you for it. I'm speaking from experience of myself and from experience of those who brought their kids to me expecting me to crack their heads open and instil a love of such activities inside a child who all he/she wanted to do was go and play.

A child shows some excitement and likes playing his keyboard. You, the overzealous parent, rushes to look for a teacher for them and as I teach the child, he/she looks at me, pleading with their eyes to be let go because it was JUST A HOBBY AND A FUN ACTIVITY, NOT A TALENT. Then the pleading eyes turn to sullen resentment and a child who is crying for no reason, having upset stomach every time you say you're taking them to the activity or just acting up by sulking. And I hate myself for wasting my time and I dislike the parent for not being attuned to their child's needs, rather than selfishly pushing the child to be what they're not.

Very common scenario.

Introduce new things to them as fun activities and If they show interest, encourage it. If they don't, let it go. It sounds tough especially when you think. you won't have bragging rights but honestly there are so many successful adults who didn't do all these things.

Btw, I hated sewing till I grew up. I can sew basic stitches but when I casually mentioned I wanted a sewing machine and my MiL jumped on with eagerness, it reminded me of my childhood and I spent the money instead on something else, deliberately. I loved painting and I will always love playing the piano and the violin will always be a demanding mistress to tame, love and conquer. French will always remind me of friends and my dad's old cassette tapes. Martial Arts was fun because of my brothers.. All what I loved, I loved doing. They were never accomplishments, just old friends i liked hanging out with.

I know, however, that I'll still see children in total misery being forced to do things they don't want to do

7 Likes

Re: My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by Miami11: 1:47am On Dec 29, 2015
My dream for raising my kids is giving them a subtle quiet country living in my village.
All organic food. Mixture of privilege lifestyle and humble lifestyle
A master of my language, my country's main language and English, others as needed
Best premium school in my country of origin/ college wherever they desire.
My dream is for responsible, independent, well behaved, outstanding individuald with academic prowess.

3 Likes

Re: My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by baby124: 3:57am On Dec 29, 2015
Don't force them. Just encourage interests.

1 Like

Re: My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by talk2dre(m): 1:33pm On Dec 29, 2015
onegig:

Bros, we need to talk.
Re: My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by TV01(m): 11:23pm On Dec 30, 2015
Onegai:
Mystikal888, toss the list.
Exactimundo - hear this along with the rest of the post.

I was determined to build a varied CV for my son from early days. Started him swimming a few months in. After 3 years I could see that he was increasingly lacking any real appetite, and it was becoming a real struggle. So one day I simply asked him "do you want to do this?" and he gave me a totally convinced "no". We still take his sister, and still ask him occasionally - it's still a firm no.

In fact he's going through a phase were he's saying no to pretty much everything, including activities at parties. So now we do this;
baby124:
Don't force them. Just encourage interests.

Funnily enough, I'm a coach, I should know to let him lead, and sometimes simply stimulate his curiosity. We still keep a tight reign on the basics like reading and writing, and conduct. I was totally bowled over by the fact he could read before 3 and sight read by 3 and a half - I figured it would be much later, so I'm much more relaxed than I used to be and I think that's best for all involved.

I know his mum still dreams of him playing for Arsenal, and I have every intention of tactically introducing old videos of me boxing at some stage - but no pressure grin.

All the best with nurturing the wonderful human beings I'm sure they'll turn out to be. Makes you wish there was a tried and tested roadmap doesn't it? grin

TV

4 Likes

Re: My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by JannahGem: 11:36pm On Dec 30, 2015
Dear Op,
Let kids be kids

Let them form their interest themselves, of course you can chart them towards the right course.
Teach them manners, teach them appreciation, let them know life is not a bed of roses

Let them be happy in their own skin...Have happy kids not necessarily super kids
Re: My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jun 15, 2016
Miami11:
My dream for raising my kids is giving them a subtle quiet country living in my village.
All organic food. Mixture of privilege lifestyle and humble lifestyle
A master of my language, my country's main language and English, others as needed
Best premium school in my country of origin/ college wherever they desire.
My dream is for responsible, independent, well behaved, outstanding individuald with academic prowess.

You have a beautiful dream
Naicce
Revolutionary while being simple/rustic
Back to roots
Powerful and original...

Sorry for the love talk cheesy
I do really get carried away
Re: My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by dfrost: 7:22pm On Jun 15, 2016
Start with No. 2
Re: My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by dfrost: 7:27pm On Jun 15, 2016
Dyt:
Karate?
Then his bully mode is unlimited
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
After several kids with black eyes, he will still keep saying Daya, is sef defence
grin

Dyt don't kill me with laughter abeg. @bully mode is unlimited. grin for me it's karate, judu, taekwondo and ninjutsu. All stops at 16 years.
Re: My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by Dyt(f): 10:04pm On Jun 15, 2016
dfrost:

Dyt don't kill me with laughter abeg. @bully mode is unlimited. grin for me it's karate, judu, taekwondo and ninjutsu. All stops at 16 years.

This one that practices power rangers SPD and mystic force on me and other kids
This 3 year old son of mine is a bag of it all
I cannot come and shout
Judo?
Taekwando?
You don try
Just carry go

grin
Re: My Five-year Training Plan For My Two Superkids! Any Suggestions? by dfrost: 10:57pm On Jun 15, 2016
Dyt:

This one that practices power rangers SPD and mystic force on me and other kids
This 3 year old son of mine is a bag of it all
I cannot come and shout
Judo?
Taekwando?
You don try
Just carry go

grin

cheesy grin don't the little minions remind us of our little selves?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do You Want To Have Kids? / Lagos Okada Man- Seven Children And A Wife In A 1-room Apartment / Should I Tell My Husband That The Daughters He Loves So Much Don’t Belong To Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.