Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,959 members, 7,821,377 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes (3238 Views)

Oshiomhole: I Can't Visit My Village Because Jonathan Destroyed The Road To It / How Obasanjo Destroyed PDP (2) - VANGUARD / Confirmed. Jonathan has Destroyed The "Biggest Party In Africa". (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes by Sirniyeh(m): 8:21pm On May 26, 2015
This is recent interview by Former Vice President, Atiku Abubaka. Here is the extract: for detail go to the link

www.agendang.com/index.php/multimedia/photos/item/151-obasanjo-destroyed-nigeria-power-sector-atiku-abubakar

That is why when there was an investigation by the
National Assembly; nobody invited me because my
name was never there. Contracts were awarded
and paid 100 per cent upfront; people disappeared with the money, and even stole, yet no power. I stand by this: We must have short- term, medium-term and long- term power solutions.

I recently called for the reversal of the privatisation of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria. How does one begin to privatise distribution? Distribution of what? There is no power. First of all, one should start with generation. When one starts with generation, then transmission follows. After there is enough power, then one knows that one has the capacity to
transmit and then one can now distribute. But they
started with distribution, distribution of water or
what?

I mean, one can’t do that. Now we have privatised
distribution, where is the power to distribute? No
power! And they borrowed money from the banks
to go and set up these companies. They said the
Federal Government gave billions to encourage the
privatisation; now they are not recouping the
money. They have huge loans. There will be
interest and there is no power to distribute. They
have also increased electricity tariff when there is
no power.

Some people have called for the removal of fuel
subsidy while oil price in the global market has
crashed.

First and foremost, I was in charge of deregulation
and we had started. If we had continued our
programme, we would have finished deregulation
before our government left office. But unfortunately we did not. Thus, as far as I am concerned, I’m in for full and total deregulation in the downstream oil sector. Let the market determine (the economic needs).

Believe me, we are complaining now because there
is subsidy. By the time one deregulates and opens
the market, everybody is free to bring in these
finished products and sell, there will be competition and the prices are even likely to come down. I am for deregulation. There is no doubt about it because at the end of the day, I think that is the best for the country.

On the issue of the prices of petroleum, I don’t
think $50 is too low because when we came in,
how much was it? $20? Yet we were able to
implement our programmes. Therefore, it is all an
issue of planning. Of course, governments, both
military and democratic, over the years have
always been talking of diversifying the economy,
but no government has really focused on the issue
of diversifying the economy so that the reliance on
oil can be reduced substantially.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes by Nobody: 8:32pm On May 26, 2015
atiku just ranting ontop ntin, obj cn b more wise dan many of u atiku &.co

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes by abduljabbar4(m): 8:34pm On May 26, 2015
Atiku is just sad because of his loss at the primaries. He feels like he would have been the president by now

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes by ahaz: 9:00pm On May 26, 2015
abduljabbar4:
Atiku is just sad because of his loss at the primaries. He feels like he would have been the president by now
what is wrong with you yorubas anything said about ur folks is wrong buy if it's against Jonathan it's correct, yet u hypocrites claim sophistication you claim non bias. Is it not the same atiku u folks have being hailing. Or re all knowing tribe breastfeeding during objs Era to be ignorant of his poor outing in the power sector, shame on u people only idiots take u yorubas serios

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes by doctokwus: 9:05pm On May 26, 2015
I may not respect his past,but one has to respect d fact that Atiku made a lot of sense in all what he said.
The privatisation of distribution of power was not only one of d most clueless policies of d GEJ govt,but was also a scam.The generation shd have come first,then after tangible increase d distribution or d govt can even allow private generating firms to also distribute what they generate.
On d oil sector ultimately subsidy has to go,but it would honestly b foolish to do so without getting our refineries working.The risk of removing subsidy without working refineries is that a new set of cabals might emerge in our kind of country with very weak institutions;they decide on a common price and since they control imports can force these common price down our throats. In saner climes,there are stiff penalties for price fixing by a group of companies,but here that may not b enforceable.
So fix d refineries,give licenses to private ones and give Nigerians a time line,that in maybe 2yrs time,govt wudnt subsidize fuel again.Of course by then local production would have increased and true market forces come into play.

5 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes by doctokwus: 9:07pm On May 26, 2015
I may not respect his past,but one has to respect d fact that Atiku made a lot of sense in all what he said.
The privatisation of distribution of power was not only one of d most clueless policies of d GEJ govt,but was also a scam.The generation shd have come first,then after tangible increase d distribution, or d govt can even allow private generating firms to also distribute what they generate.
On d oil sector ultimately subsidy has to go,but it would honestly b foolish to do so without getting our refineries working.The risk of removing subsidy without working refineries is that a new set of cabals might emerge in our kind of country with very weak institutions;they decide on a common price and since they control imports can force this common price down our throats. In saner climes,there are stiff penalties for price fixing by a group of companies,but here that may not b enforceable.
So fix d refineries,give licenses to private ones and give Nigerians a time line,that in maybe 2yrs time,govt wudnt subsidize fuel again.Of course by then local production would have increased and true market forces come into play.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes by baybeeboi: 9:22pm On May 26, 2015
it will set soon
Re: Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes by Obijulius: 9:25pm On May 26, 2015
ATIKU - Buhari's representative.

Well, I hope OBJ gets the message. The NORTH is back and they are out to deal with OBJ and all his excesses.

All his eye service will not take him far.

5 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes by Nobody: 9:26pm On May 26, 2015
He made a lot of sense. But as usual Nigerians will be quick to crucify the messenger and discard the meessage along with him.
He is a scumbag and a thief. I doubt his intentions are purely for the sake of Nigeria's welfare but he made a lot of sense.

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes by papoose999(m): 9:33pm On May 26, 2015

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes by basilo101: 9:35pm On May 26, 2015
doctokwus:
The privatisation of distribution of power was not only one of d most clueless policies of d GEJ govt,but was also a scam.The generation shd have come first,then after tangible increase d distribution or d govt can even allow private generating firms to also distribute what they generate.
On d oil sector ultimately subsidy has to go,but it would honestly b foolish to do so without getting our refineries working.The risk of removing subsidy without working refineries is that a new set of cabals might emerge in our kind of country with very weak institutions;they decide on a common price and since they control imports can force these common price down our throats. In saner climes,there are stiff penalties for price fixing by a group of companies,but here that may not b enforceable.
well, here in d east dia is noting like cabal. It a competitive market wia no one i given unfair advantage by govt. We will bring it into fuel importation and crash d price if subsidy is removed and market forces determine price.

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes by PapaNnamdi: 9:42pm On May 26, 2015
leme just comment and book space
Re: Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes by PedroJP(m): 9:43pm On May 26, 2015
Seems these ple do not even plan well for this country. Thought their past should be a thing behind them now to work in unity and give the change they promised.
Re: Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes by misreal(m): 9:58pm On May 26, 2015
doctokwus:
The privatisation of distribution of power was not only one of d most clueless policies of d GEJ govt,but was also a scam.The generation shd have come first,then after tangible increase d distribution, or d govt can even allow private generating firms to also distribute what they generate.
On d oil sector ultimately subsidy has to go,but it would honestly b foolish to do so without getting our refineries working.The risk of removing subsidy without working refineries is that a new set of cabals might emerge in our kind of country with very weak institutions;they decide on a common price and since they control imports can force this common price down our throats. In saner climes,there are stiff penalties for price fixing by a group of companies,but here that may not b enforceable.
he made real sense my brother.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes by sammyj: 9:59pm On May 26, 2015
See party put calling kettle black! !! grin

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes by RockMaxi: 10:01pm On May 26, 2015
Everybody is pointing to somebody as being corrupt. It is now a common norm, the accuser suddenly becomes innocent.
This same Atiku that was indicted in the Halliburton scandal is now seeing himself as a hero "started something with deregulation". SMH, Atiku should know that Mikano wouldn't have survived if he and Obasanjo have done the right thing while in office.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes by kenedy175(m): 10:01pm On May 26, 2015
...and the kimono is opened
Re: Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes by omonnakoda: 10:05pm On May 26, 2015
Atiku cannot explode.The only person that explodes in Nigeria is Orji Uzor Kalu.That is the only Human bomb in the country

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes by Nobody: 10:07pm On May 26, 2015
make this man leave OBJ alone naa
Re: Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes by CSTR2: 10:11pm On May 26, 2015
This is the same OBJ that is giving buhari a national development roadmap.
The navigator of the change agents.
laughable lots.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes by brownlord: 10:19pm On May 26, 2015
APC major financier accuse APC navigaor of corruption?

Anyway, dancing sekem in anticipation for the change agents to take the stage.

Omenka, Demdem, I'm loving this change .

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes by mike404(m): 10:32pm On May 26, 2015
Rxpetite:
He made a lot of sense. But as usual YORUBAS will be quick to crucify the messenger and discard the meessage along with him.
He is a scumbag and a thief. I doubt his intentions are purely for the sake of Nigeria's welfare but he made a lot of sense.
Re: Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes by nortcentrallord(m): 10:58pm On May 26, 2015
doctokwus:

The name GEJ is like Bodmas of mathematics in politics for some of you. The only problem is when even when you have have a weak erection, you still blame it on GEJ. Atiku was talking about obj and you are bringing GEJ into it. Must you show your stupidity everywhere? Your beloved obj had an opportunity to write his name in GOLD just like Mandela but what did he do? NOTHING. 70% of Nigerians don't even respect him. All the problem GEJ was trying to solve was created by Obasanjo and he also engineered all the bottle neck that made things difficult for him. Your Master buhari has come, let's watch him perform magic now. Shameless Slaves.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes by Kennywills7(m): 11:15pm On May 26, 2015
This man may b corrupt but if he says anything meaningful that can change things it should b utilize
Obj is no saint and d problems of d power sector could hv bn solved by him but of course we knw d rest of d story

Stop attacking d messenger, b more concern wit what he has to say, if u hv to attack him for corruption create a thread for dat am sure u will hv lots of likes dat u are looking for
Re: Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes by Nobody: 11:18pm On May 26, 2015
[quote author=mike404 post=34124929][/quote] nnaah what is it? angry
Re: Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes by coldsummer: 11:23pm On May 26, 2015
And you are just telling us this now after how many years?
Re: Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes by Nobody: 11:46pm On May 26, 2015
Atiku's recent relationship with Buhari has made him grown some balls.

With Buhari on his side, Obj can go and die. grin

He said the truth though. undecided
Re: Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes by Nobody: 11:53pm On May 26, 2015
ahaz:
what is wrong with you yorubas anything said about ur folks is wrong buy if it's against Jonathan it's correct, yet u hypocrites claim sophistication you claim non bias. Is it not the same atiku u folks have being hailing. Or re all knowing tribe breastfeeding during objs Era to be ignorant of his poor outing in the power sector, shame on u people only idiots take u yorubas serios

That Yoruba won't stop giving you heart attack. You better go and die somewhere
Re: Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes by mike404(m): 11:54pm On May 26, 2015
Rxpetite:
nnaah what is it? angry
wetin
Re: Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes by Nobody: 12:05am On May 27, 2015
mike404:
wetin
why u dey quote and edit my comment?
Re: Obasanjo Destroyed The POWER SECTOR - Atiku Explodes by Segadem(m): 2:38am On May 27, 2015
all we want is 24/7 light

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bayo Badmus, a die-hard SW Buhari supporter makes U-turn / Why Dasuk, Not GEJ Deserves The Nobel Peace Prize - Pius Adesanmi / EXCLUSIVE | Trouble In Buhari’s Cabinet As Fayemi Attacks Onyeama In Kigali

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.