Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,955 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:41 AM

Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? - Webmasters (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? (18521 Views)

Top 9 Tech Blogs In Nigeria / 7 Most Influential Tech Blogs According To Nigerian Bulletin / 8 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Commenting Online, So Special (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by Alfred234(m): 5:37pm On May 28, 2015
Most nigerians are not into tech they just like to carry around big phones just for people to know that they can afford it.
As for me I love tech and I read tech blogs but I don't usually comment, I only comment when I need to ask a question.
BTW
MissTechy keep up the good work i like females that are into tech smiley cool
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by letsbet(m): 5:50pm On May 28, 2015
MissTechy:

That is so not true - there are so many Tech blogs that don't copy and paste
Nice threat u've got here. actually, its not all Nigerian Tech bloggers dat copy & paste but majority of dem do. i like blogers dat may copy a post but remembers to modify it to suit the audience visiting their sites. i also like bloggers that are interactive and respond to comments, non-savy bloggers cant do such. do you reply massages?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by MissTechy(f): 5:52pm On May 28, 2015
Alfred234:
Most nigerians are not into tech they just like to carry around big phones just for people to know that they can afford it.
As for me I love tech and I read tech blogs but I don't usually comment, I only comment when I need to ask a question.
BTW
MissTechy keep up the good work i like females that are into tech smiley cool

Thank you Alfred
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by haibe(m): 5:53pm On May 28, 2015
MissTechy:

http://misstechy. com
please I really need us to talk.. mind giving me ur mail or a means of contacting u?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by MissTechy(f): 5:55pm On May 28, 2015
letsbet:
Nice threat u've got here. actually, its not all Nigerian Tech bloggers dat copy & paste but majority of dem do. i like blogers dat may copy a post but remembers to modify it to suit the audience visiting their sites. i also like bloggers that are interactive and respond to comments, non-savy bloggers cant do such. do you reply massages?

Lol check and see wink - but before you say I am making you go to my blog - Yes I do make replies.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by Nobody: 5:56pm On May 28, 2015
Don1Dee:

True that Jarus!

I operate in the education niche through edugist.org, same problem...we're not hungry for knowledge, insight, analysis and personal growth related information, at all. As a jarushub loyalist, the poor or lack of engagement by readers baffles me, considering the intellectual prowess of your contributors. And these are busy guys and 'BIG BOYS'.

The articles I least expect are where I get comments in edugist, usually questions.

I once wrote an observation about an event I attended at Four Point hotel, days after, a senoir staffer of the coy that orgnised the event commented and mailed to meet me. Today, I do business with them. When Malala visited Nigeria, I reported it and she commented. During the Save School Initiative, aside reporting I wrote my opinion...UN convoy on education and former UK PM, Gordon Brown and her wife had to argue on my opinion via comment. To Nigerians, there are making the blogger a favor.

It get discoraging at times.

One of my writers, who holds a PhD and works in Shell Houston, reduced the frequency of contribution because of poor engagement by readers. I more or less propped him to continue writing.

Imagine, a foreign professor from Germany once contacted him for an article he wrote. The man disagreed with a couple of points he made in the article and sent a lengthy email for robust engagement with my guy. My friend was impressed and didn't know his readership traveled that far.

Yet, people here, who are our major target audience, hardly bother to read talkless of commenting.

I have lost a couple of other fine contributors due to lack of comment/engagement on their articles. It is discouraging.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by MissTechy(f): 6:05pm On May 28, 2015
haibe:
please I really need us to talk.. mind giving me ur mail or a means of contacting u?

You can send a pm

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by BlackOnassis(m): 6:10pm On May 28, 2015
Unfortunately, Nigerians aren't tech savvy. We love to use those gadgets but aren't really interested in what makes them tick. We still see technology as something foreign and imported. So, it is difficult for us to feel we can contribute something meaningful. We've got to get out of this "rot" and "own" technology as producers, not consumers. I think the education system should do the heavy lifting and things will fall in place.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by MissTechy(f): 6:12pm On May 28, 2015
BlackOnassis:
Unfortunately, Nigerians aren't tech savvy. We love to use those gadgets but aren't really interested in what makes them tick. We still see technology as something foreign and imported. So, it is difficult for us to feel we can contribute something meaningful. We've got to get out of this "rot" and "own" technology as producers, not consumers. I think the education system should do the heavy lifting and things will fall in place.

In other words - TECHNOLOGY NEEDS TO BE RE-BRANDED FOR NIGERIANS AT THE ROOT LEVEL?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by MissTechy(f): 6:17pm On May 28, 2015
radiokilla:
I don't even read those tech news just because i'm in the football niche, which is quite backward when it comes to maximizing technology. However, this is an eye opener, i will start bookmarking them. In btw, miss techy, you are beautiful and look smart. Can i...

Lol can you...
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by BlackOnassis(m): 6:20pm On May 28, 2015
Afam4eva:
The average IQ quotient of a Nigerian is low and that's why they're not given to overly technical stuff. But if everyday gossip and beer parlor political discussions, they will sit down, open their dirty yansh and talk. That's why the politics section has been taken over by little noisy children who think politics is a shouting match. No wonder most of the sane and articulate contributors have left the seen. As for technology, things will only get better when the Nigerian educational system looks up. You tech bloggers aint doing anything wrong. Nigerians aren't just there yet.

C'mon man. Don't say the average IQ of a Nigerian is low. If that's the case, then there is really no hope. But I doubt that's the case. Like you said, we just aren't there yet . . . but we can get there.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by haibe(m): 6:20pm On May 28, 2015
MissTechy:

You can send a pm
never knew registration was required. anyway check ur mail
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by hollowpot15684(m): 6:21pm On May 28, 2015
the only thing that will get me on a tech blog is information and How-To's , once i get that info im off to try it out asap. no need to comment.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by BlackOnassis(m): 6:22pm On May 28, 2015
MissTechy:

In other words - TECHNOLOGY NEEDS TO BE RE-BRANDED FOR NIGERIANS AT THE ROOT LEVEL?

Yep.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by MissTechy(f): 6:23pm On May 28, 2015
ohzee:
Interesting things always attract attention. Make it interesting. Avoid too much tech talk. Relate your posts to everyday practical things. Ask people for their opinion, not just giving yours. Show interest in what they have to say. Most Nigerians are not tech savvy so may not understand too much hard stuff.

Disclaimer: I haven't visited your blog before, so I don't know if you are already doing these.

Hey Ohzee smiley you should visit one of these days if you will (not trying to patronize you) However, in other not to sound proud, I try to deploy posts that anybody can relate with - for example I create personality quizzes that can gauge what type of personality you have - eg -
the Find out your Social media Identity post ,
Can you work at google posts etc.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by MissTechy(f): 6:24pm On May 28, 2015
haibe:
never knew registration was required. anyway check ur mail

sad i don't understand the registration part
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by iMerchant: 6:29pm On May 28, 2015
MissTechy:
Hello Everyone,

I recently took a survey and I noticed that Nigerians would love to comment on gossips blogs about other people's lives and not on tech information that can benefit them in their workplace or homes.

I am saying this because I know how hard it is to get comments on a tech blog given the fact that I run one (misstechy dot com), I have also searched top tech blogs in the country and noticed the same trend. Even noticed the trend on Nairaland, anytime a tech post is out on frontpage, people hardly comment or even view it.

Is it that the contents are boring or what?

Why would you choose to comment on other people's trouble but not on something that can benefit you in several ways -
Oya Nairalander answer cheesy

Nice Observation.

I think it is the way we are wired.

SUN/PUNCH/VANGUARD newspaper sell more copies than Business Day and other tech related newspaper or magazine.

CNN/BBC have more viewers than History Channel or NatGeo.

People are emotional being with empathy and envy. The girl next door is more interested in what is happening in Kim K life, her new dress sense blah blah blah than and the guys are more interested in sports (football) than business and tech.

Stories about their favourite stars are NEWS with more deeper connection than business or tech stories.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by GodMode: 6:38pm On May 28, 2015
Misstechy, what else do you do on the internet apart from blog
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by ohzee(f): 6:38pm On May 28, 2015
MissTechy:

Hey Ohzee smiley you should visit one of these days if you will (not trying to patronize you) However, in other not to sound proud, I try to deploy posts that anybody can relate with - for example I create personality quizzes that can gauge what type of personality you have - eg -
the Find out your Social media Identity post ,
Can you work at google posts etc.

Ok. Wil check it out. Goodluck
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by haibe(m): 6:40pm On May 28, 2015
MissTechy:

sad i don't understand the registration part
on ur blog.. to make comments
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by MissTechy(f): 6:40pm On May 28, 2015
GodMode:
Misstechy, what else do you do on the internet apart from blog

Err download softwares, movies and read
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by GodMode: 6:41pm On May 28, 2015
MissTechy:

Err download softwares, movies and read
What sites do you read
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by MissTechy(f): 6:42pm On May 28, 2015
GodMode:

What sites do you read

As a result of the nature of my work, I have to read about brands online
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by RobinHez(m): 6:43pm On May 28, 2015
lexking10:
i think you should post the link to your blog. i really feel the
desire of going there now
http://edscienceblog..com wink
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by GodMode: 6:45pm On May 28, 2015
MissTechy:

As a result of the nature of my work, I have to keep up with brands online

That answers one of my questions...

That means your blog doesn't earn yet... You have a 9-5 job that's how you finance your giveaways...
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by MissTechy(f): 6:47pm On May 28, 2015
GodMode:

That answers one of my questions...

That means your blog doesn't earn yet... You have a 9-5 job that's how you finance your giveaways...

Hmmn, for you to figure out the 9-5 part, you are really smart - anyways that is my little way of trying to make people be interested in tech
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by kaboninc(m): 6:51pm On May 28, 2015
Afam4eva:
The average IQ quotient of a Nigerian is low and that's why they're not given to overly technical stuff. But if everyday gossip and beer parlor political discussions, they will sit down, open their dirty yansh and talk. That's why the politics section has been taken over by little noisy children who think politics is a shouting match. No wonder most of the sane and articulate contributors have left the seen. As for technology, things will only get better when the Nigerian educational system looks up. You tech bloggers aint doing anything wrong. Nigerians aren't just there yet.

Your first statement is a wrong generalisation. An IQ quotient may or may not have anything to do with tech stuffs.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by GodMode: 6:57pm On May 28, 2015
MissTechy:

Hmmn, for you to figure out the 9-5 part, you are really smart - anyways that is my little way of trying to make people be interested in tech

gringrin Stop trying to flatter me gringrin you said "nature of my work"gringringrin

Why not spend some on FB likes... Your blog is doing well for something that started 3 months ago...

Since you have a salary and still find time to blog it means you can push it higher in less than a year..
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by Pakingzzz(m): 6:57pm On May 28, 2015
Hii Nairalanders, I have 20pcs of brand new Storace deep cycle batteries. They are 100AH capacities each.. Am offering them for sale at 20,000 naira each..
I also have a couple dozens of brand new Mppt charge controllers ; 12v,24 10Amps. The model is; Tracer 1210Rn. Each goes for 8,000 naira.
You can reach me on 08122423549, or email me @; kingsleyobinna26@ yahoo.Com
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by ghostofsparta(m): 6:59pm On May 28, 2015
MissTechy:
Hello Everyone,

I recently took a survey and I noticed that Nigerians would love to comment on gossips blogs about other people's lives and not on tech information that can benefit them in their workplace or homes.

I am saying this because I know how hard it is to get comments on a tech blog given the fact that I run one (misstechy dot com), I have also searched top tech blogs in the country and noticed the same trend. Even noticed the trend on Nairaland, anytime a tech post is out on frontpage, people hardly comment or even view it.

Is it that the contents are boring or what?

Why would you choose to comment on other people's trouble but not on something that can benefit you in several ways -
Oya Nairalander answer cheesy

The answer to your question is because Nigerians are easily swayed by gossip and celebrity talk because the majority don't want to engage their mind on technologies nor arouse their intellect on scientific stuff. We don't have geeks and nerds community. The problem here is too enormous and boggling that any thing entertaining and exciting to the senses are what flies. The same reason they'd tune to, is the same reason they would rather read gossip talk about the participants of Big Brother Nigeria, MTN Project Fame, Maltina Dance Hall, Nigerian Idols, Super Story and those made available by Linda Ikeji, only extremely few with a penchant for tech stuff would want to read my blog about the newest Intel's kid in the block i.e. Intel's Core M processor. So sometimes I don't blame my people as I can understand the situation. How many Nairalanders ITs even visited this topic about registering .ng domain hack name ?

Live evidence below

and also MissTechy the link to your blog from your NL profile is incorrect. Correct it.

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by gabriel74: 7:00pm On May 28, 2015
Nigerians like amebo jare
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by MissTechy(f): 7:02pm On May 28, 2015
GodMode:

gringrin Stop trying to flatter me gringrin you said "nature of my work"gringringrin

Why not spend some on FB likes... Your blog is doing well for something that started 3 months ago...

Since you have a salary and still find time to blog it means you can push it higher in less than a year..

I believe FB likes that are paid for is virtually useless (note my opinion) - this is because Facebook forces the ads in your faces till you click and like - so these audiences don't like it because of their own free will - more like a forced will - at the end of the day it would be harder for them to engage with your contents

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Google Adsense / How To Send Document Files Like PDF On Whatsapp / Top 10 Blogs That Accept Guest Posts In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.