Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,960 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:00 AM

Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? - Webmasters (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? (18522 Views)

Top 9 Tech Blogs In Nigeria / 7 Most Influential Tech Blogs According To Nigerian Bulletin / 8 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Commenting Online, So Special (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by MissTechy(f): 7:04pm On May 28, 2015
gabriel74:
Nigerians like amebo jare

Lol
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by lexking10(m): 7:05pm On May 28, 2015
RobinHez:

http://edscienceblog..com wink
been there but dont see space for like or comment. about that bacteria healing contrete, i am impressed
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by MissTechy(f): 7:07pm On May 28, 2015
lexking10:
been there but dont see space for like or comment. about that bacteria healing contrete, i am impressed

See what I told you about @RobinHez
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by GodMode: 7:07pm On May 28, 2015
MissTechy:

I believe FB likes that are paid for is virtually useless (note my opinion) - this is because Facebook forces the ads in your faces till you click and like - so these audiences don't like it because of their own free will - more like a forced will - at the end of the day it would be harder for them to engage with your contents

So how do you intend to monetize
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by kpolli(m): 7:09pm On May 28, 2015
Commenting as in resolve problems or asking questions??

Plus I do not think many Nigerians are into Technology....

Plus the very few in technology feel they founded technology so don't need to comment
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by RobinHez(m): 7:13pm On May 28, 2015
lexking10:
awww....*guteď*
i fixed the error last night (didnt sleep) u can go back and try again (there's a g+ and blogger comment toggle so its more easier)
and thanks for ur kind words. I'm uploading a post for children's day! (no fuel yesterday) smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by RobinHez(m): 7:14pm On May 28, 2015
guys! typing 'nice one' isnt a hard thing to do na...stop complaining about nothing to comment on! angry
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by RobinHez(m): 7:22pm On May 28, 2015
MissTechy:

See what I told you about @RobinHez
cry
i've fixed it...
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by Mayfrank(m): 7:23pm On May 28, 2015
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by yahoofak(m): 7:25pm On May 28, 2015
JideTheBlogger:
Go to tech blogs or wapka sites that share free browsing tricks, cheats etc. You will see comments ehn, fear go catch you... grin grin grin grin grin

you would even see comment wey person post around 2:00am

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by braimeddy: 7:27pm On May 28, 2015
MissTechy:
Hello Everyone,

I recently took a survey and I noticed that Nigerians would love to comment on gossips blogs about other people's lives and not on tech information that can benefit them in their workplace or homes.

I am saying this because I know how hard it is to get comments on a tech blog given the fact that I run one (misstechy dot com), I have also searched top tech blogs in the country and noticed the same trend. Even noticed the trend on Nairaland, anytime a tech post is out on frontpage, people hardly comment or even view it.

Is it that the contents are boring or what?

Why would you choose to comment on other people's trouble but not on something that can benefit you in several ways -
Oya Nairalander answer cheesy
hehehehehehehehehehhe......now dat I've commented on ur thread, what do u want to giv me now?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by Nobody: 7:44pm On May 28, 2015
MissTechy:

Lol can you...
as a gentleman, i don't rush things, i take my time. Can i contact you?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by Baroba(m): 7:45pm On May 28, 2015
RobinHez:

I just tire o.

its a general issue in naija, where people tend to give more attention to less profitable things/issues. they cant stream a 2-min gadget review clip but can spend hours watching 'God knows what', and thats why we are far behind in science and tech.
I think we should devise means and methods to 'forcefully' make Nigerians more interested in science & tech.

Gossip based blogs, bbm, Facebook, WhatsApp is dumbing down a lot of youths worldwide, anything tech or science is seen as boring and uncool.. What a shame..
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by RobinHez(m): 7:57pm On May 28, 2015
comments please...i dey beg now o! when i become like seun ehn? grin
http://edscienceblog..com/2015/05/inventions-by-kids.html
for children's day! fuel spoilt it for me cry

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by Defcon1(m): 8:01pm On May 28, 2015
MissTechy:
Maybe If we can know from your opinions what the tech blogs in Nigeria are not doing right - then we can combat the problem
Majority of Nigerians are not tech savvy.
The few that are only read what you have there and move on.

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by RobinHez(m): 8:02pm On May 28, 2015
Baroba:

Gossip based blogs, bbm, Facebook, WhatsApp is dumbing down a lot of youths worldwide, anything tech or science is seen as boring and uncool.. What a shame..
and whats more frustrating is the fact that most of those platforms were made by kids e.g. microsoft, facebook etc
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by bigfrancis21: 8:11pm On May 28, 2015
Afam4eva:
The average IQ quotient of a Nigerian is low and that's why they're not given to overly technical stuff. But if everyday gossip and beer parlor political discussions, they will sit down, open their dirty yansh and talk. That's why the politics section has been taken over by little noisy children who think politics is a shouting match. No wonder most of the sane and articulate contributors have left the seen. As for technology, things will only get better when the Nigerian educational system looks up. You tech bloggers aint doing anything wrong. Nigerians aren't just there yet.

That is quite untrue. Americans are just as much disinterested in tech stuff, general politics except for knowing that they have a president, and the geography of the states within the US how much more beyond america. Many Americans barely know the name of their own state governor. Ignorance is rife here in America. That does not mean Americans generally have a low IQ. IT IS A MATTER OF INTEREST. You show attention to what you have interest in. Not everyone with high IQ in the world will be interested in tech stuff. High IQ and showing interest in technology do not correlate. Think back to your smart straight-As colleagues in secondary school and university for example, and determine the percentage that were ever interested in tech stuff.

There are a whole bunch of stuffs Americans are just not generally interested in, issues like compassion, humanity, spirituality, charity, love towards one another etc., which stems mainly from the kind of environment they were born and raised in. They barely understand what it is to be compassionate, charitable, just for the sake of love, without having an ulterior motive whatsoever. However, you find many Nigerians who embody these qualities, people who help others just for the sake of helping someone in need, and not because of expecting something in return for favour done. Nigerians understand charity, compassion, spirituality, forgiveness better. In fact, try to be nice here in the US and you will get weirdo-type of stares from people around you, who are already trying to figure out your ulterior motives behind your nicety. The only thing that comes up in the mind of Americans when you speak of charity is AFRICA. Because an overwhelming many still believe that Africans are a poor, hungry, naked bunch running around everyday naked, riding on lions back, with no food to eat. Any one who decides to be 'charitable' suddenly packs his bag heading for Africa because that is what they define charity to be.

In hindsight, the percentage of those interested in tech stuff in Nigeria roughly equals the percentage of those interested in tech stuff in the US. IT in the US has been overtaken by foreigners - Indians, Asians, Nigerians, Jews etc. Americans barely go to school beyond undergraduate study nowadays, and graduate schools are populated mostly by international students. In an IT graduate class here in the US, international students would make up over 90% of students in the class. Professors of IT in many US schools are overwhelmingly international. Americans are generally disinterested in tech stuff, albeit only a substantial percentage are.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by persius555(m): 8:30pm On May 28, 2015
nigerians dont exactly patronize technology, except they have to either for luxury or work. Owning a latest phone or laptop is not enough. As internet penetration becomes widely available and affordable, there is bound to be improvement.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by abbey621(m): 8:35pm On May 28, 2015
MissTechy:

Hey Abbey I just launched 3 months ago and I have an alexa rank of 974, reach them through socials, I offer freebies to commentators - ever month the top 3 commenters get N5000 worth of airtime to get data. - very dynamic.

Any more questions?

Your Alexa rank of 974 is it world rank or to a specific geolocation?

What about your google rank? How does Google view you, do you use Google Analytics?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by Nobody: 8:55pm On May 28, 2015
Well... My point here is based on lack of knowledge, majority of Nigerians in particular are declining to achieve modernisation by lacking the sense of the future. Techs are such a rare gem of the future are needs to be considered seriously. Only the media house could be of a very important function and should be focused on which is your actual point. With time, good things would surely come by.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by CHIMSKY(m): 9:09pm On May 28, 2015
MissTechy:
Hello Everyone,

I recently took a survey and I noticed that Nigerians would love to comment on gossips blogs about other people's lives and not on tech information that can benefit them in their workplace or homes.

I am saying this because I know how hard it is to get comments on a tech blog given the fact that I run one (misstechy dot com), I have also searched top tech blogs in the country and noticed the same trend. Even noticed the trend on Nairaland, anytime a tech post is out on frontpage, people hardly comment or even view it.

Bros,start reviewing phones or cars and put their prices there.Trust me,Nigerians will talk plenty.

Why would you choose to comment on other people's trouble but not on something that can benefit you in several ways -
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by CHIMSKY(m): 9:11pm On May 28, 2015
MissTechy:
Hello Everyone,

Bros,start reviewing phones or cars and put their prices there.Trust me,Nigerians will talk plenty.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by MissTechy(f): 9:38pm On May 28, 2015
CHIMSKY:

Than. You chimsky I am a girl btw -
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by musicwriter(m): 9:51pm On May 28, 2015
bigfrancis21:

That is quite untrue. Americans are just as much disinterested in tech stuff, general politics except for knowing that they have a president, and the geography of the states within the US how much more beyond america. Many Americans barely know the name of their own state governor. Ignorance is rife here in America. That does not mean Americans generally have a low IQ. IT IS A MATTER OF INTEREST. You show attention to what you have interest in. Not everyone with high IQ in the world will be interested in tech stuff. High IQ and showing interest in technology do not correlate. Think back to your smart straight-As colleagues in secondary school and university for example, and determine the percentage that were ever interested in tech stuff.

There are a whole bunch of stuffs Americans are just not generally interested in, issues like compassion, humanity, spirituality, charity, love towards one another etc., which stems mainly from the kind of environment they were born and raised in. They barely understand what it is to be compassionate, charitable, just for the sake of love, without having ulterior intent whatsoever. However, you find many Nigerians who embody these qualities, people who help others just for the sake of helping someone in need, and not because of expecting something in return for favour done. Nigerians understand charity, compassion, spirituality, forgiveness better. In fact, try to be nice here in the US and you will get weirdo-type of stares from people around you, who are already figuring out your ulterior motives behind your nicety. The only thing that comes up in the mind of Americans when you speak of charity is AFRICA. Because an overwhelming many still believe that Africans are a poor, hungry, naked bunch running around everyday naked, riding on lions back, with no food to eat. Any one who decides to be 'charitable' suddenly packs his bag heading for Africa because that is what they define charity to be.

In hindsight, the percentage of those interested in tech stuff in Nigeria roughly equals the percentage of those interested in tech stuff in the US. IT in the US has been overtaken by foreigners - Indians, Asians, Nigerians, Jews etc. Americans barely go to school beyond undergraduate study nowadays, and graduate schools are populated mostly by international students. In an IT graduate class here in the US, international students would make up over 90% of students in the class. Professors of IT in many US schools are overwhelmingly international. Americans are generally disinterested in tech stuff, albeit only a substantial percentage who are.

Sense of community is very strong in Africa. And this's why it took us too long to transit from communalism to feudalism to capitalism. Unfortunately, Europe took advantage of this. That's by-the-way.

The first time I traveled to Togo republic I arrived by night, about 11.50pm. I couldn't reach a friend I was supposed to stay in his place( in those days there were no phones as common as is today). Not knowing where else to stay for the night I started looking for hotel to sleep. I was carrying a big travelling bag and went about 3 hotels but all was booked. The last hotel gave me direction to another hotel near the corner and as I was heading there in the dark street I saw someone coming down the street. We met on the middle of the street and he was just about entering his gate at the same time. I told him I was looking for the hotel nearby. He pointed me to the hotel just about 2 poles away. And as I moved on he felt he should show me the hotel himself since it was quite near. So he joined me.

When we got to the hotel the rooms were filled once again. The time was already about 1.30am. I asked him where the nearest hotel is. He told me and it was the previous hotels I've been to. To cut the story short, he asked me to follow him to see if I would like his house. So, I followed him to his house. His name is George a Togolese, and it turned out it was God that made me meet him. He was born the same day, date and year like me!. We spent the whole of the night talking and feeling happy. In the morning as I wanted to leave, we both agreed there was no reason for that. We had become so much friend that it seems we were brothers. I stayed in his place I think about 3 months, until I personally decided to rent my own apartment. This can only happen in Africa!.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by Nobody: 10:17pm On May 28, 2015
Majority of Nigerians are not tech savvy.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by bigfrancis21: 10:38pm On May 28, 2015
musicwriter:

Sense of community is very strong in Africa. And this's why it took us too long to transit from communalism to feudalism to capitalism. Unfortunately, Europe took advantage of this. That's by-the-way.

The first time I traveled to Togo republic I arrived by night, about 11.50pm. I couldn't reach a friend I was supposed to stay in his place( in those days there were no phones as common as is today). Not knowing where else to stay for the night I started looking for hotel to sleep. I was carrying a big travelling bag and went about 3 hotels but all was booked. The last hotel gave me direction to another hotel near the corner and as I was heading there in the dark street I saw someone coming down the street. We met on the middle of the street and he was just about entering his gate at the same time. I told him I was looking for the hotel nearby. He pointed me to the hotel just about 2 poles away. And as moved on he felt he should show me the hotel himself since it was quite near. So he joined me.

When we got to the hotel the rooms were filled once again. The time was already about 1.30am. I asked him where the nearest hotel is. He told me and it was the previous hotels I've been to. To cut the story short, he asked me to follow him to see if I would like his house. So, I followed him to his house. His name is George, and it turned out it was God that made me meet him. He was born the same day and date like me. We spent the whole of the night talking and feeling happy. In the morning as I wanted to leave, we both agreed there was no reason for that. We had become so much friend that it seems we brothers. I stayed in his place I think about 3 months, until I personally decided to rent my own apartment. This can only happen in Africa!.

Awww...i'm touched by this! You are right. This can only happen in Africa! Africans understand communal love and living. They connect with each other better. There are Americans who could do this but they are very few! Majority would never let you into their home at that time of the night. In fact, they are so distrustful and extremely cautious of themselves that they spend their entire lives living in isolation. From birth, they are taught to never trust anybody, be wary of everyone around you and everybody is a stranger to you except your own family members. They are quite fearful, fear of the unknown is everywhere. You try to stop someone to ask for directions, and the person is already scared of you, because the act of stopping them is already much of a 'weird' act. I guess it is the environment. Certain actions have happened and built up over time, such that being overly cautious is the responsive mechanism for survival. Americans are fiercely independent and Africans are communally-minded. America may be advanced technologically but spiritually, there is huge deficiency. I can recount similar stories like yours!

I have made a couple of friends here in the US, and our friendships can never be as deep as my friendships in Nigeria. A level of friendship described in Igbo as 'Imalu madu, maluo ya uno'. There seems to be a certain limit you can't go beyond in friendships with Americans. Friendships here are mostly based on what you both find a common interest in, say love for football, and your entire friendship is based around that excitement. There must be mutual benefit also. There must be something to gain from the other person. People often look to make friends with those they can gain from, not because of just for the sake of being friends with your person. The general slogan for many is, 'If you don't offer me something to gain from you, then I don't need to be friends with you'. Friends that are reluctant to help out should you need help. Growing up in Nigeria, you would often find friends who are closer than siblings, right from childhood till adulthood, they keep it going. They help each other out in times of need, do things together, friends who are never afraid of visiting your house at any time, ransacking your fridge, eating all your food and you guys will laugh it off. Such friendships can be found in America but they are not as common as I found them in Nigeria.

Indeed, the survey that listed Nigerians as happy people was indeed right. Despite all the setbacks, political corruption, fierce sun and heat, lack of steady power supply, etc. Nigerians still find a way to remain happy, or stay above the problems, and find humour even in the worst of situations (take the fuel scarcity saga for example, Nigerians found a way to find humour in the saga, even CNN picked up the humour about the saga in their news. http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/25/world/nigeria-shutdown-petrol-subsidies/). There is positivity or positive attitude in Nigeria as Nigerians believe that tomorrow will be better. The environmental circumstances mould Nigerians to be emotionally strong people, who are mentally, physically and spiritually ready for life. I suppose this explains the low rate of suicides in Nigeria, compared to US.

This entire write-up won't make full sense to everybody but the spiritually-minded ones who have seen both countries will understand what I am talking about.

How about the culture of getting easily offended in the US? Americans are easily easily offended! They can pick offense at everything! This is the first cultural difference someone coming from Nigeria/Africa who isn't used to this type of culture all their life will initially have to face. Forgiveness is a whole another issue with many of them. Some find it so difficult to forgive and forget. It is too bad that some people dread talking to each other like bees for fear of not knowing what you'll say that will offend the other person, because they get offended at literally everything.

One UK-born lady, Ann Avison Chizoba, who moved to Nigeria since 2011 and has loved it immensely ever since, says the same about Nigeria/Africa. The spirituality present among Africans thrills her. She calls it the real life. She adopted an Igbo name 'Chizoba' which she goes by. Excerpts of her interview are listed below, I have put in bold major highlights of her interview:

Interview with Ann - a British expat living in Nigeria
Ann is a British expat living in Abuja. She initially moved to Nigeria with her husband, who subsequently returned to the UK. Ann loves every aspect of her life in Nigeria and has no intention of returning to her country of birth. Read about her fascinating adventures in this West African country.

Learn more about Nigeria in the Expat Arrivals Nigeria guide or read more expat experiences in Nigeria.

About you

Ann - A British expat living in NigeriaQ: Where are you originally from?
A: Grimsby, England, UK

Q: Where are you living now?
A: Abuja, Nigeria

Q: When did you move to Nigeria?
A: Left the UK in 2011, arriving in Nigeria in February 2012. Relocated to Abuja in August 2013.

Q: Did you move to Nigeria alone or with a spouse/family?
A: Initially I moved here with my spouse but he returned to the UK so I elected to stay alone here.

Q: Why did you move to Nigeria; what do you do?
A: Always wanted to travel Africa and eventually live and work here. I work as a Room Division Manager in a large hotel.

Living in Abuja

Q: What do you enjoy most about Abuja? How would you rate the quality of life compared to the UK?
A: I have lived here in the village for six months before moving to Enugu where I lived until recently when I moved to Abuja. Life is different depending on where you live and I tend to live as a Nigerian rather than an expat, but even so, the quality of life is good, just different. It can be as simple or Western as you like. That is the beauty of Nigeria you can live however you want, as simple or ostentatious as you like. Quality of life is different to the UK but I wouldn't say worse…just different.

Q: Any negatives? What do you miss most about home?
A: I can honestly say I don't miss a thing about the UK...I love the people, the culture and the lifestyle here...not to mention the climate! So for me no negatives whatsoever.... this is my home, I will die here.

Q: What are the biggest adjustments you had to make when settling into expat life in Nigeria? Did you experience any particular elements of culture shock?
A: I didn't have many problems adjusting as I spent three months travelling overland to get here so had adjusted to many things. Getting to grips with the language was my biggest challenge in the village and learning to communicate, even though most speak English they are used to London English accents. I come from the north but I have learnt a lot about how to communicate and my preconceptions...it has improved my communication skills. Be prepared for them wanting to be with you 24/7, they are gregarious and love to be together, don't understand 'closed doors' and in their view people only want 'privacy' when they are ill. So a closed door will invite more attention! We have a fear of offending people but they are very direct; you should be too...they won't be offended.

Q: What’s the cost of living in Nigeria compared to home? What is cheap or expensive in particular?
A: Much cheaper compared to home, but then again the salary is not as high either. Western food is expensive but local food is very good and cheap. I have yet to find a hairdresser in Abuja for my “Oyibo” (white person) locks but most things here and affordable.

Q: How would you rate the public transport in Abuja? What are the different options? Do you need to own a car?
A: Public transport is not as connected as say in London. Once you know how it works you are fine...whilst I drive I also use public transport a lot and have a lot of fun on it. I love the Keke and regularly use the Motos (buses). A car gives you more independence and I drive myself here which is a lot of fun. I was excited to hear that the incumbent in the president’s office has started a railway system.

Q: How would you rate the healthcare in Abuja? Have you had any particularly good/bad experiences with regards to doctors and hospitals? Are there any hospitals you would recommend?
A: It's all private and paid for. I found good healthcare in Enugu, non-existent really in the villages, and Abuja has good healthcare too. The hospitals are not up to Western standards and may lack equipment...I remember being sent to three different hospitals looking for a nebuliser without success. The doctors/nurses are very good, they just lack the equipment available in the West.

Q: What are the biggest safety issues facing expats living in Abuja? Are there any areas expats should avoid?
A: To be honest I have been ok...just be aware that you stick out as a foreigner; the only place I felt vulnerable was Lagos. Abuja is safe and so was Enugu and I wander at large in both and regularly walk places and drive myself. I wouldn't recommend the highways after dark but there is plenty of police, army and Nigerian Mobile Police (MOPOL) on the roads who do a good job...just be friendly when they stop you after all. I recall being stopped just before I set off to Enugu one night and the MOPOL man collected my number and phoned me to check I had reached Enugu safely...I was most impressed. There are lots of examples of these kinds of experiences. People are very caring and, except for a few, want you to be safe and happy in their country.

Q: How do you rate the standard of housing in Abuja? What different options are available for expats?
A: Expats can get good quality housing at reasonable prices, it depends on what their expectations are.

Q: Any areas/suburbs in Abuja you’d recommend for expats to live in?
A: Depends on whether you want to be in an expat 'enclave' or not. I prefer to integrate myself so I tend to shy away from living in groups of expats for that full on Naija experience.

Meeting people and making friends in Nigeria

Q: How tolerant are the locals of foreigners? Is there any obvious discrimination against particular religions or women etc.?
A: Very tolerant. They love to see you here. No discriminations for me but I think it depends on how you react to them. Learn a few basic phrases, relax and have fun with them and you will really enjoy the culture.

Q: Was it easy meeting people and making friends? How did you go about meeting new people?
A: Oh I meet and make new friends every day. I just get on with my life and you always talk to someone. Nigerians are very gregarious and interested in foreigners and their experiences so you will travel on a bus and find some new friends easily. They collect numbers and will keep in touch with you.

Q: Have you made friends with locals or do you mix mainly with other expats? What advice would you give to new expats looking to make friends? Any social/expat groups you can recommend?
A: Most of my friends are locals. My advice would be just get out there and start chatting; you will be amazed at how many people you will meet. Join a club and you will find people with similar interests. I avoid sticking with expats as I wanted to immerse myself in the culture; my whole point of coming here was to learn a new culture and experience it.

Working in Abuja

Q: Did you have a problem getting a visa or work permit for Nigeria? Did you tackle the visa process yourself or did you enlist the services of an immigration consultant?
A: I have a CERPAC which was not difficult to get. I wandered into Immigration and befriended a friendly immigration officer who guided me through the process...it was straight forward. I have been invited to his wedding at the end of November!

Q: What’s the economic climate like in Abuja? Do you have any tips for expats looking to find a job there? Which resources did you find most useful?
A: Know your value but be prepared to drop your expectations on salary...this is not the West and they can't afford to pay us what we are worth unless it’s an international organisation. Take what you need to live well here and you will enjoy Naija well. Know that they work differently here though it's about connections and introductions so networking is essential. Church affiliations are also important.

Q: How does the work culture differ from home? Do you have any tips for expats doing business in Abuja?
A: Very different to the culture back home but in some ways so much better. The mixture of cultures makes Nigeria unique to Africa, I have found. They observe both Muslim and Christian festivals and calendars. Friday is Muslim holy day and the Christians use it to travel out of the cities to the villages. Family is central to everything here.

Doing business is by networking so you network when you are doing business. Phones are always going off...the line between business and pleasure is blurred. You become friends and do business together...the two are connected. Business meetings take longer as you have to find out about peoples’ families and life before business is conducted, then business then more socialising.

Family and children

Q: Did your spouse or partner have problems adjusting to their new home? Do you think there are any specific challenges for a trailing spouse?
A: My spouse is half Nigerian and he couldn't adjust and went back to the UK.

Q: Did your children settle in easily? What were the biggest challenges for your children during the move?
A: Sadly I don't have children of my own but I sponsor quite a few.

Q: What are the schools like, any particular suggestions?
A: Schools are better in some ways with discipline and the children are driven more. Behaviour is much better.

And finally…

Q: Is there any other advice you would like to offer new expat arrivals?
A: Come with an open mind and see it as an adventure, if you are bringing children worry less about them as they will adjust quicker than you. Don't expect too much and just enjoy it as it unfolds. Don't try to make it the same as where you originated from, it won't work. Try not to compare too much and do try to look at it through African eyes it will make so much more sense. Please do not assume that people are unhappy because they are materially poor...they have much more spiritual wealth and are happy as a result! Learn to haggle and enjoy it! Enjoy the experience and do mix with the locals at the markets and join in the banter, you can make someone’s day just by having fun with them...you will get so much more enjoyment out of the people and the experience!
http://www.expatarrivals.com/article/interview-with-ann-a-british-expat-living-in-nigeria

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by Esdb3: 11:08pm On May 28, 2015
MissTechy:
Hello Everyone,

I knew it would be you before I even clicked on the thread.

Techy am so in love with you. I luh you hon!! I have a huge crush on you.
#techy'sStalker
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by Matthewbriggs(m): 11:15pm On May 28, 2015
MissTechy:

Hey Abbey I just launched 3 months ago and I have an alexa rank of 974, reach them through socials, I offer freebies to commentators - ever month the top 3 commenters get N5000 worth of airtime to get data. - very dynamic.

Any more questions?

Not a sustainable model to gain traction. Create viral content also have you considered video blogging...
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by SleekyP(m): 11:17pm On May 28, 2015
MissTechy:

boo boo,where you been? angry
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by Olaone1: 11:53pm On May 28, 2015
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by musicwriter(m): 12:06am On May 29, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Awww...i'm touched by this! You are right. This can only happen in Africa! Africans understand communal love and living. They connect with each other better. There are Americans who could do this but they are very few! Majority would never let you into their home at that time of the night. In fact, they are so distrustful and extremely cautious of themselves that they spend their entire lives living in isolation. From birth, they are taught to never trust anybody, be wary of everyone around you and everybody is a stranger to you except your own family members. They are quite fearful, fear of the unknown is everywhere. You try to stop someone to ask for directions, and the person is already scared of you, because the act of stopping them is already much of a 'weird' act. I guess it is the environment. Certain actions have happened and built up over time, such that being overly cautious is the responsive mechanism for survival. Americans are fiercely independent and Africans are communally-minded. America may be advanced technologically but spiritually, there is huge deficiency. I can recount similar stories like yours!

I have made a couple of friends here in the US, and our friendships can never be as deep as my friendships in Nigeria. A level of friendship described in Igbo as 'Imalu madu, maluo ya uno'. There seems to be a certain limit you can't go beyond in friendships with Americans. Friendships here are mostly based on what you both find a common interest in, say love for football, and your entire friendship is based around that excitement. There must be mutual benefit also. There must be something to gain from the other person. People often look to make friends with those they can gain from, not because of just for the sake of being friends with your person. The general slogan for many is, 'If you don't offer me something to gain from you, then I don't need to be friends with you'. Friends that are reluctant to help out should you need help. Growing up in Nigeria, you would often find friends who are closer than siblings, right from childhood till adulthood, they keep it going. They help each other out in times of need, do things together, friends who are never afraid of visiting your house at any time, ransacking your fridge, eating all your food and you guys will laugh it off. Such friendships can be found in America but they are not as common as I found them in Nigeria.

Indeed, the survey that listed Nigerians as happy people was indeed right. Despite all the setbacks, political corruption, fierce sun and heat, lack of steady power supply, etc. Nigerians still find a way to remain happy, or stay above the problems, and find humour even in the worst of situations (take the fuel scarcity saga for example, Nigerians found a way to find humour in the saga, even CNN picked up the humour about the saga in their news. http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/25/world/nigeria-shutdown-petrol-subsidies/). There is positivity or positive attitude in Nigeria as Nigerians believe that tomorrow will be better. The environmental circumstances mould Nigerians to be emotionally strong people, who are mentally, physically and spiritually ready for life. I suppose this explains the low rate of suicides in Nigeria, compared to US.

This entire write-up won't make full sense to everybody but the spiritually-minded ones who have seen both countries will understand what I am talking about.

How about the culture of getting easily offended in the US? Americans are easily easily offended! They can pick offense at everything! This is the first cultural difference someone coming from Nigeria/Africa who isn't used to this type of culture all their life will initially have to face. Forgiveness is a whole another issue with many of them. Some find it so difficult to forgive and forget. It is too bad that some people dread talking to each other like bees for fear of not knowing what you'll say that will offend the other person, because they get offended at literally everything.

One UK-born lady, Ann Avison Chizoba, who moved to Nigeria since 2011 and has loved it immensely ever since, says the same about Nigeria/Africa. The spirituality present among Africans thrills her. She calls it the real life. She adopted an Igbo name 'Chizoba' which she goes by. Excerpts of her interview are listed below, I have put in bold major highlights of her interview:

http://www.expatarrivals.com/article/interview-with-ann-a-british-expat-living-in-nigeria

Very quality info. Thanks very much.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Commenting On Tech Blogs? by Nobody: 12:12am On May 29, 2015
MissTechy:
Hello Everyone,

They've got no brain power for tech. Bwahaha...!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Google Adsense / How To Send Document Files Like PDF On Whatsapp / Top 10 Blogs That Accept Guest Posts In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.