Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,756 members, 7,820,624 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:27 PM

Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry (5469 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry by klbakare(m): 9:49pm On May 27, 2015
dear nairalanders, I will like to request information on how to write a GED exam in Nigeria. I have seen a thread with similar request, but the information provided there is not clear enough. I will like information particularly on the cost, venue and other necessary requirements.
furthermore I will like to request information concerning the feasibility of getting admission into a welding apprenticeship program either in Canada or U.S.A. from my personal findings, I found out that the academic part of the training requires minimum of a certificate of secondary school attendance (GED) or writing an entrance exam. I have chosen to write the GED. Also the practical training aspect requires that I am employed by a person/organisation who is willing to offer the training. how easy is it to get a trainer? and what do you advise generally. please note that I have some years of previous work experience in electric arc welding as it is done locally here in Nigeria.

thanks in anticipation of prompt response.
Re: Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry by klbakare(m): 10:01pm On May 27, 2015
MODs!!! double twale!!! kindly help notify people with the right info. thanks

1 Like

Re: Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry by Nobody: 11:39pm On May 29, 2015
I don't know about USA but for Canada, you have to be a permanent resident or citizen to be enrolled for apprenticeship.

1 Like

Re: Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry by Nobody: 6:24am On May 30, 2015
klbakare:
dear nairalanders, I will like to request information on how to write a GED exam in Nigeria. I have seen a thread with similar request, but the information provided there is not clear enough. I will like information particularly on the cost, venue and other necessary requirements.
furthermore I will like to request information concerning the feasibility of getting admission into a welding apprenticeship program either in Canada or U.S.A. from my personal findings, I found out that the academic part of the training requires minimum of a certificate of secondary school attendance (GED) or writing an entrance exam. I have chosen to write the GED. Also the practical training aspect requires that I am employed by a person/organisation who is willing to offer the training. how easy is it to get a trainer? and what do you advise generally. please note that I have some years of previous work experience in electric arc welding as it is done locally here in Nigeria.

thanks in anticipation of prompt response.
Forget about Canada. Even citizens and PR find it extremely difficult to get an apprenticeship or blue book. Then like honey86 is also correct.
Re: Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry by klbakare(m): 8:53am On May 30, 2015
thanks honey86 and saxywale, I will try and focus more on u.s.a . I really want to be trained outside naija either in welding or heavy duty equipment repairs. am trying to explore the best and inexpensive alternative. I will soon become a graduate of agricultural engineering. any info on how I can achieve my aim will be highly appreciated. thanks
Re: Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry by ifegy: 7:09pm On May 30, 2015
klbakare:
thanks honey86 and saxywale, I will try and focus more on u.s.a . I really want to be trained outside naija either in welding or heavy duty equipment repairs. am trying to explore the best and inexpensive alternative. I will soon become a graduate of agricultural engineering. any info on how I can achieve my aim will be highly appreciated. thanks

A GED is a high school diploma, like your SSCE, etc. It's designed for adults who left high school without a diploma. If you already have a university education, you can't do that. You can try asking here for more help:
https://www.nairaland.com/2310954/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part/46
Re: Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry by klbakare(m): 8:35pm On May 30, 2015
ifegy:

A GED is a high school diploma, like your SSCE, etc. It's designed for adults who left high school without a diploma. If you already have a university education, you can't do that. You can try asking here for more help:
https://www.nairaland.com/2310954/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part/46

my concern is that my certificate may not be ready yet when I want to enroll. but since GED is readily acceptable I can just use it to save time. that's why I want to apply for a GED. but if my o'level can be taken with an English language test. I won't mind.
Re: Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry by ifegy: 4:26am On May 31, 2015
klbakare:

my concern is that my certificate may not be ready yet when I want to enroll. but since GED is readily acceptable I can just use it to save time. that's why I want to apply for a GED. but if my o'level can be taken with an English language test. I won't mind.

Sounds like you really need to have a good, long think about the entire thing. You already have a high school diploma; you don't need to take the GED. Have you contacted them to find out if your university transcript will be accepted? You should also try to find out if that sort of program will be acceptable at the embassy as a basis for a visa. That US visa thread might be helpful in that regard.
Re: Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry by klbakare(m): 6:43pm On Jun 03, 2015
thanks a bunch. ...I will re-strategize and reevaluate my plans
Re: Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry by HOKIM(m): 3:20pm On Jan 23, 2018
Hello Bro... I Am A Shielded Metal Rc Welder As Well... I Love The Direction You Pulled Off... How Far Have U Gone Welding Are U In The U.S Now?? What Steps Have You Taken To Get A Trainer And Maybe A Visa??
Re: Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry by klbakare(m): 7:40pm On Jan 23, 2018
Thank God, I've got a partner now. I still dey Nigeria ooo. What certifications do you have?
Re: Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry by Bostin(m): 8:33pm On Jan 23, 2018
Please check College of the North Atlantic, Newfoundland for welding program or Yukon college they accept international student for that course but not sure about the Visa aspect. Am in Nigeria oo, it is just my research as am also planning on the program.
Re: Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry by klbakare(m): 2:05am On Jan 24, 2018
Bostin:
Please check College of the North Atlantic, Newfoundland for welding program or Yukon college they accept international student for that course but not sure about the Visa aspect. Am in Nigeria oo, it is just my research as am also planning on the program.
I had initially given up on trade programmes in canada due to its very high cost at various institutions i checked. they had tuition tags such as 18000CAD which does not include other expenses such as travelling cost, feeding accommodation and upkeep cost. However this new institutions that you just dropped now might be presenting a ray of hope. This Yukon college for instance now has 5200CAD as tuition for 20 weeks of the programme, 295CAD programme fees, accommodation per month, i prefer home-stay because it include meals at 750CAD per month x 4 = 3750CAD, other fees is 450CAD plus insurance. there will definitely still be other costs remember but those i highlighted are already 9695CAD. thats like 3million naira. My question is what will be the next line of action after the programme? will it be possible to obtain a post certificate work visa to work for sometime? for how long will that be? be informed that one might however be able to apply for a masters degree with the same amount that will allow for working at the newfoundland university. i still very much believe that trade certification in canada is too expensive. funny enough it is the same in all the other countries.
Re: Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry by Bostin(m): 4:52am On Jan 24, 2018
klbakare:

I had initially given up on trade programmes in canada due to its very high cost at various institutions i checked. they had tuition tags such as 18000CAD which does not include other expenses such as travelling cost, feeding accommodation and upkeep cost. However this new institutions that you just dropped now might be presenting a ray of hope. This Yukon college for instance now has 5200CAD as tuition for 20 weeks of the programme, 295CAD programme fees, accommodation per month, i prefer home-stay because it include meals at 750CAD per month x 4 = 3750CAD, other fees is 450CAD plus insurance. there will definitely still be other costs remember but those i highlighted are already 9695CAD. thats like 3million naira. My question is what will be the next line of action after the programme? will it be possible to obtain a post certificate work visa to work for sometime? for how long will that be? be informed that one might however be able to apply for a masters degree with the same amount that will allow for working at the newfoundland university. i still very much believe that trade certification in canada is too expensive. funny enough it is the same in all the other countries.
Firstly Welding is a Red seal Trade in Canada,meaning it is a special and highly emploable. Search Red seal skills in Canada fr more details. And also the program is in stages until you become red seal certified, for me I prefer it to any masters because I really love to get things done with my hands . Your passion for it matters.
Re: Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry by salford1: 6:48am On Jan 24, 2018
klbakare:

The program you described up there sounds like a pre-apprenticeship. Even if you take the more expensive diploma or technician programs, You would still need an employer to indenture you after you complete the program. In Canada, getting indentured into the trade is not easy. Alot of locals (PRs and Citizens) want to get into the trades too, so they would likely muscle you out of the competition. Try the express entry thread to see if you can get a shot at pr. Once you get the pr, then your issue would be half solved.
Re: Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry by klbakare(m): 8:23am On Jan 24, 2018
salford1:

The program you described up there sounds like a pre-apprenticeship. Even if you take the more expensive diploma or technician programs, You would still need an employer to indenture you after you complete the program. In Canada, getting indentured into the trade is not easy. Alot of locals (PRs and Citizens) want to get into the trades too, so they would likely muscle you out of the competition. Try the express entry thread to see if you can get a shot at pr. Once you get the pr, then your issue would be half solved.
hello salford, it is indeed a pre-apprenticeship training. express entry is not that easy if you don't have a job offer or an arranged employment in canada yet. welding is skills level "B" and they are going to verify my welding qualifications. i don't have any welding qualifications as you know we rarely have here in Nigeria. Or do you have an idea how i might get an arranged employment in canada?
N.B: i also hold a bachelor of technology degree in agricultural engineering.(2:2 precisely). sometimes am just always confused with all of these procedures.
Re: Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry by klbakare(m): 8:25am On Jan 24, 2018
Bostin:
Firstly Welding is a Red seal Trade in Canada,meaning it is a special and highly emploable. Search Red seal skills in Canada fr more details. And also the program is in stages until you become red seal certified, for me I prefer it to any masters because I really love to get things done with my hands . Your passion for it matters.
so how do you plan to go about it now? enlighten me. do you want to go for the 20weeks course or for the whole year course. how do you intend to work and live after the programme. enlighten me please.
Re: Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry by Bostin(m): 8:56am On Jan 24, 2018
klbakare:
so how do you plan to go about it now? enlighten me. do you want to go for the 20weeks course or for the whole year course. how do you intend to work and live after the programme. enlighten me please.
Bro I'm in the same shoe with you, but I will rather choose the College of the North Atlantic, Newfoundland because is cheaper with straightforward application. Once you start the program,your job begins as I understand because is a hand on learning.
Re: Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry by klbakare(m): 10:00am On Jan 24, 2018
Bostin:
Bro I'm in the same shoe with you, but I will rather choose the College of the North Atlantic, Newfoundland because is cheaper with straightforward application. Once you start the program,your job begins as I understand because is a hand on learning.
I will go and examine it critically over again. Just keep me posted here.
Re: Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry by ibroh22(m): 12:27pm On Jan 24, 2018
God will help you o.....when you get there, no forget us
Re: Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry by klbakare(m): 4:52pm On Jan 24, 2018
hello Bostin please can you summarize the fees payable only for the welding trade programme? I dont seem to understand it, so many fees listed together and i don't know which is applicable to me. and please explain the part where you think one will work in the course of the programme. is it a paid work?
Re: Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry by Bostin(m): 5:01pm On Jan 24, 2018
klbakare:
hello Bostin please can you summarize the fees payable only for the welding trade programme? I dont seem to understand it, so many fees listed together and i don't know which is applicable to me. and please explain the part where you think one will work in the course of the programme. is it a paid work?
I think you will need to write the school for proper informations but I know all admitted student has to pay CAD$3300 for the first semester. Am not sure if it paid job,I guess as a Student you should be well prepared to pay your tuition and other expenses and not depend on little student permit hours of work.
Re: Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry by klbakare(m): 8:22pm On Jan 24, 2018
Bostin:
I think you will need to write the school for proper informations but I know all admitted student has to pay CAD$3300 for the first semester. Am not sure if it paid job,I guess as a Student you should be well prepared to pay your tuition and other expenses and not depend on little student permit hours of work.
then its for you rich guys. boys gaz work support himself ooo, even for naija here, i work to support myself. might end up going for the masters at memorial university newfoundland. so when i get there, i will know the next step to take. do you own a workshop here in nigeria or you are new at welding?
Re: Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry by klbakare(m): 10:48pm On Jan 27, 2018
hey Boston i want to share with you two e-mails i got. one from one the welding institutes you recommended. i don't know if you have the same info. the information i requested was fees associated with each of the three welding programmes they have. namely welder(certificate,one year), welder/metal fabricator programme (2years) and the welding technician programme (2years) the information supplied below respectively.
Welder

Semester 1

3300.00 tuition

600.00 health and dental insurance

260.00 other fees

500.00 books

Semester 2

3300.00 tuition

165.00 other fees

500.00 books

Intersession

1650.00 tuition

82.50 other fees

300.00 books

Total cost $10,657.50

Welder Fabricator

Year One

Semester 1

3300.00 tuition

260.00 other fees

800.00 books

Semester 2

3300.00 tuition

165.00 other fees

Intersession

1650.00 tuition

82.50 other fees

Year Two

Semester 1

3300.00 tuition

260.00 other fees

275.00 books

Semester 2

3300.00 tuition

165.00 other fees

Intersession

1650.00 tuition

82.50 other fees

Welding Engineering

Year One

Semester 1

3300.00 tuition

260.00 other fees

700.00 books

Semester 2

3300.00 tuition

165.00 other fees

300.00 books

Intersession

1650.00 tuition

82.50 other fees

Year Two

Semester 1

3300.00 tuition

260.00 other fees

500.00 books

Semester 2

3300.00 tuition

165.00 other fees

1110.00 books

Intersession

1650.00 tuition

82.50 other fees

the least there is the one year programme with over 10000CAD bill minus living expenses. i find it quite ridiculous
Re: Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry by elijah101(m): 11:23pm On Jan 27, 2018
Please sir what are the names of the welding institutes
klbakare:
hey Boston i want to share with you two e-mails i got. one from one the welding institutes you recommended. i don't know if you have the same info. the information i requested was fees associated with each of the three welding programmes they have. namely welder(certificate,one year), welder/metal fabricator programme (2years) and the welding technician programme (2years) the information supplied below respectively.
Welder

Semester 1

3300.00 tuition

260.00 other fees

500.00 books

Semester 2

3300.00 tuition

165.00 other fees

500.00 books

Intersession

1650.00 tuition

82.50 other fees

300.00 books

Total cost $10,657.50

Welder Fabricator

Year One

Semester 1

3300.00 tuition

260.00 other fees

800.00 books

Semester 2

3300.00 tuition

165.00 other fees

Intersession

1650.00 tuition

82.50 other fees

Year Two

Semester 1

3300.00 tuition

260.00 other fees

275.00 books

Semester 2

3300.00 tuition

165.00 other fees

Intersession

1650.00 tuition

82.50 other fees

Welding Engineering

Year One

Semester 1

3300.00 tuition

260.00 other fees

700.00 books

Semester 2

3300.00 tuition

165.00 other fees

300.00 books

Intersession

1650.00 tuition

82.50 other fees

Year Two

Semester 1

3300.00 tuition

260.00 other fees

500.00 books

Semester 2

3300.00 tuition

165.00 other fees

1110.00 books

Intersession

1650.00 tuition

82.50 other fees

the least there is the one year programme with over 10000CAD bill minus living expenses. i find it quite ridiculous
Re: Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry by klbakare(m): 11:26pm On Jan 27, 2018
elijah101:
Please sir what are the names of the welding institutes
college of the north Atlantic.
Re: Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry by Bostin(m): 11:23am On Jan 28, 2018
klbakare:
Welder

Semester 1

3300.00 tuition

260.00 other fees

500.00 books

Semester 2

3300.00 tuition

165.00 other fees

500.00 books

Intersession

1650.00 tuition

82.50 other fees

300.00 books

Total cost $10,657.50

Welder Fabricator

Year One

Semester 1

3300.00 tuition

260.00 other fees

800.00 books

Semester 2

3300.00 tuition

165.00 other fees

Intersession

1650.00 tuition

82.50 other fees

Year Two

Semester 1

3300.00 tuition

260.00 other fees

275.00 books

Semester 2

3300.00 tuition

165.00 other fees

Intersession

1650.00 tuition

82.50 other fees

Welding Engineering

Year One

Semester 1

3300.00 tuition

260.00 other fees

700.00 books

Semester 2

3300.00 tuition

165.00 other fees

300.00 books

Intersession

1650.00 tuition

82.50 other fees

Year Two

Semester 1

3300.00 tuition

260.00 other fees

500.00 books

Semester 2

3300.00 tuition

165.00 other fees

1110.00 books

Intersession

1650.00 tuition

82.50 other fees

If you think the fee is ridiculous maybe you try your masters. Let me enlighten you a bit on this topic, Masters and Red seal Certified Welder in Canada. The latter has higher chance of employment, fastest to PR,good salary, low competitive and the former is highly competitive, average salary ,low chance of employment,slow to PR.

I personally choose Technical Skill because that is what the global economy seek now for their development, there is no way you will be technically skill nowadays and be unemployed. I think you too know what am saying.

So with your above college fee breakdown, I quite understand your fear, I am not rich either. I am still saving for the program too, no rush. I believe once you can sort the first semester fee and find a sponsor to prove the living expense to get your visa,the rest is history. You will get assistanship from the school once you enroll. Good luck.
Re: Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry by Damzy007: 8:37pm On Feb 04, 2018
Hello, I just came across this thread now nd I must commend you brodas with your findings. I'm also a welder I practice stick welding which I learnt from my dad which also serves as our family business. Since last two years i've also started making some research on how to get myself abroad with my skills then I discovered my cert can't take me anywhere. so my plan nw is to make my skills get more advance through learning other aspect of welding and after taking some trade test, then I can apply for a canadian visa. Tho it would be better if one can apply for a visiting visa inwhich one can find an employer to file for someone.
Re: Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry by Bostin(m): 9:13pm On Feb 04, 2018
Damzy007:
Hello, I just came across this thread now nd I must commend you brodas with your findings. I'm also a welder I practice stick welding which I learnt from my dad which also serves as our family business. Since last two years i've also started making some research on how to get myself abroad with my skills then I discovered my cert can't take me anywhere. so my plan nw is to make my skills get more advance through learning other aspect of welding and after taking some trade test, then I can apply for a canadian visa. Tho it would be better if one can apply for a visiting visa inwhich one can find an employer to file for someone.
No employer will file for you on visit.
Re: Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry by Damzy007: 10:47pm On Feb 04, 2018
Bostin:
No employer will file for you on visit.
I meant getting visiting visa which would be used to meet an employer, so the employer can now send one a job offer after you will have applied for Fsw program. Cos I dont know how easy online offer is.
Please quote me if i'm wrong, I'm still learning.
Re: Canada/u.s.a Apprenticeship Programmes Inquiry by Bostin(m): 7:38pm On Feb 05, 2018
Damzy007:

I meant getting visiting visa which would be used to meet an employer, so the employer can now send one a job offer after you will have applied for Fsw program. Cos I dont know how easy online offer is.
Please quote me if i'm wrong, I'm still learning.
you may be Lucky

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Will I Know If I Am Banned(us) / Dubai Visa For Nigerian Living In Europe: Any Idea Pls? / Relocating To Ghana (need To Know)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.