Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,652 members, 7,816,671 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:52 PM

Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? (1941 Views)

"Wind Of Hope" Offers To Sponsor Buhari, Jonathan Debate In UK / $ Billion:Nigeria has no presidential material ,sorry to say-- Musiwa / Inec Finally Has A Results Page On Its Site - No Presidential Results Yet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by MadMax1(f): 1:52pm On Feb 17, 2009
must_a_far:

let nta conduct the organized fraud. knowing our politicians. even if dem give them pre school level questions and all the right answers their talent would still shine thru.
My sides o grin grin grin grin Which talent be dat one?
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 5:18pm On Feb 17, 2009
must_a_far:

let nta conduct the organized fraud. knowing our politicians. even if dem give them pre school level questions and all the right answers their talent would still shine thru.

Problem be say people plenty wey go come out come say dem do well well for the debate though. Na dem fault abi na we dey do ourselves?
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by Kx: 5:31pm On Feb 17, 2009
If NTA or any local media organises it,d followership will be negligible.
How many peeps dey watch that station sef?
u fit stand d pictures?
Talk of AIT, same thing.

Who wan debate sef?
with what qualification? toronto certificate abi with
PH.D wen some hungry university dash dem?

abi u want make ur politicians come murder english
in d name of debate?
Leave debate for d oyibos and d Harvard bred Obama's pls.
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 5:36pm On Feb 17, 2009
Kx:

If NTA or any local media organises it,d followership will be negligible.
How many peeps dey watch that station sef?
u fit stand d pictures?
Talk of AIT, same thing.

Who wan debate sef?
with what qualification? toronto certificate abi with
PH.D wen some hungry university dash dem?

abi u want make ur politicians come murder english
in d name of debate?
Leave debate for d oyibos and d Harvard bred Obama's pls.

Even a non-educated farmer can offer you good debate if he knows his trade. I don’t believe we can make our debates about English or PhDs. We need to hear from these people and ensure they understand what the office means and why we, as the people, are in control and so in charge. We need to here them outline how exactly they intend to change things and know when we can expect these changes.
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 6:20pm On Feb 17, 2009
I have thought about it as well, but i later quench for development by coming back to reality:
1. 85% of people they are debating to, wont have light
2. out of the remaining 15% that has light, another 10% are in traffic and wont get home till the moderator is giving a "thank you" speech"
3. the remaining dont care, cos they will make money from whoever wins.
So what is the use?
But i am sure that Nigeria will be better, but we all needs to do out part
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 6:25pm On Feb 17, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I have thought about it as well, but i later quench for development by coming back to reality:
1. 85% of people they are debating to, wont have light

But majority of these same watch/listen when the Nigerian soccer team are playing, right?

Fhemmmy:

2. out of the remaining 15% that has light, another 10% are in traffic and wont get home till the moderator is giving a "thank you" speech"

It could always be scheduled around midnight. By then people go don reach home. RofLMAO!!

Fhemmmy:

3. the remaining dont care, cos they will make money from whoever wins.
So what is the use?
But i am sure that Nigeria will be better, but we all needs to do out part

many of those who actually watch/listen, may be moved to at least vote with their heart for once and not their a*** as before.
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 6:41pm On Feb 17, 2009
Kobojunkie:

But majority of these same watch/listen when the Nigerian soccer team are playing, right?

It could always be scheduled around midnight. By then people go don reach home. RofLMAO!!

many of those who actually watch/listen, may be moved to at least vote with their heart for once and not their a*** as before.

The day Nigerians start voting with their heads and heart, that is the day we both know that Nigeria has been healed of all messed up brains.
Infact, i am so much in support of national debate or even state debate among governors, cos most of these fools competing have nothing up there.
Most Nigerian that watches soccer, they all go to the local champ on the street that has a generator, and when it comes to politics most of the local champs are not intrerested to allow pple come watch, cos they blv politics is just another form of giving right to a man to steal their future
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by yarodin: 12:02am On Feb 18, 2009
Debate wentin? Why debate and embarrass myself when I can hire area boys and assassins to win the election. Maybe when people like Soyinka, Achebe etc start becoming relevant in politics, we will see some debates.
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by damiso(f): 1:45pm On Feb 18, 2009
There was a really enlightening debate during the 2007 governorship elections in Lagos state organised by Channels television,it made us see those canditates who actually had a vision,i think those debates actually shaped how people voted in those elections.I remember i was really impressed by Babatunde Fashola and Jimi Agbaje.No matter how Baba Obj 'do or died' lagos everyone knew Lagos would never vote PDP.
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by comfort3: 5:51am On Feb 19, 2009
wink
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 12:48am On Apr 20, 2010
Any idea if any group out there is organizing one?
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by CyberG: 2:39am On Apr 20, 2010
This is in FACT a VERY GOOD IDEA that should be in "Here's How To Move Nigeria Forward" on Nairaland! I heard sometime that NL is a private venture so I don't think NL as an organization will NOT be interested in something that does not necessarily add to their bottom line!

However, if NL was even able to put together a decent formal letter, we could all sign it and use that to make a case with major TV stations (not NTA), presenters that matter and are not corrupt, the Save Nigeria Group and all the NGOs who are all championing democracy in Nigeria! Imagine making this such a big issue NOW before the election period hots-up and it will be that fewer dim bulbs will be elected as president or any other major office in Nigeria!
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 1:06pm On Apr 20, 2010
I am certain there are other organizations out there that could make it happen. I would really love to see Babangida provide detailed answers as to how he expects to change Nigeria this time around, after his first debacle. Some of these people need to be asked deep questions to expose their real intentions for this nation and I think a good debate will help open the eyes of the masses to the reality of what lies ahead should they allow these same old monsters in again.
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by ojimboIV: 1:28pm On Apr 20, 2010
@topic
in 1999 there was a presidential debate. olu falae v obj. but obj was conspicuously absent on the day. watched it live on nta. only for obj to organise his personal debate later on (obj v 'ghost')
i believe in 2003 there was a presidential debate, with chris okotie vibrating on the same wavelength as patrick obiahagbon.
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by ChinenyeN(m): 3:25pm On Apr 20, 2010
Naija Politics - Fight for the Throne.
As Such --- No Debating Necessary.
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 11:00pm On Aug 22, 2010
bump!!!
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by monkeyleg: 11:45pm On Aug 22, 2010
We are not that organised. By the way who is going to be debating with who? No structure, no framework. Just a fuked up country, with no direction
Re: Why There Is No Presidential Debate In Nigeria? by ikenwan: 11:53pm On Aug 22, 2010
Do you want to know the other thing about never having debates? It means the populace never sees the inefficiencies of their "leaders" except for their scripted political talk, which means that nationwide grass-root movements rarely develop.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Efcc Arrests Tinubu And Fashola Contractor / The Pope Now "okays" Condoms For Use! Holy Smoking Jesus! / Excitement In South East As Radio Biafra Bounces Back Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.